As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Titanfall]

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Punching pilots off other titan's backs was fun and entertaining.

Can you still do that? when you rodeo is it just like an automatic action that happens and then you jump off? I saw Jay's video and wasn't sure if he was dismounting himself or not.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited August 2016

Can you still do that? when you rodeo is it just like an automatic action that happens and then you jump off? I saw Jay's video and wasn't sure if he was dismounting himself or not.

Yes pilots are still vulnerable while on top of a titan, it's just for a briefer window. Its long enough that if you're inside the titan if you're quick to react you could still get out and shoot them off

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

I believe its an auto dismount after a certain amount of time now, but I didn't test it thoroughly.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Man, I'm hoping to get some time with this this weekend. I didn't think it would be possible that I wouldn't get TF2, since TF the first was so great. But y'all are not really selling it here. Especially with a Destiny xpac and Battlefield dropping at the same time.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited August 2016

You can definitely still pulp someone mid-rodeo that way. Rodeo might be automatic, but it does still take some time to pull the battery/feed it a grenade.

Update notes for this weekend's test.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Rodeo is different now. First rodeo on a fresh Titan pulls their battery, which is the super meter on the Titan. All subsequent rodeos you stuff a grenade in and hop off.

Interesting thing about the batteries, you can basically steal a fully charged super and give it to an ally.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Mechanical wrote: »

You can definitely still pulp someone mid-rodeo that way. Rodeo might be automatic, but it does still takes some time to pull the battery/feed it a grenade.

Update notes for this weekend's test.

I like a lot of those changes.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    I like all those change except!
    Charge Rifles now have damage falloff at cross map distances.

This stinks. I loved using the Charge Rifle as a makeshift sniper in TF1.
    https://youtu.be/7gmU_quZp70
    https://youtu.be/dakIuQy7fFA

• Options
    Also, my favorite Titanfall clip I have ever taken:
    https://youtu.be/iKX-gbuVRMw
    (I have posted this before but it's so damn good)

• Options
    From way back in the original game's beta:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVJz4AC5IHM

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    That reminds me that having anti-Titan weapons and secondary weapons take up the same slot is a dumb idea.

• Options
    I'm not a terribly huge fan of it myself, but on the plus side the RE-45 seems to be way more effective this iteration.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    The Rodeo mechanic in the first feels like one of the better designed systems in the game

From the pilot perspective you feel safety against this massive Titan directly, but there are a number of tricks it has to make you vulnerable again. It's a game of chicken to see how long until somebody tries to do something about you. From the Titan perspective you don't get an icon on your screen saying a pilot is on you, you just hear a bump sound on the hatch and a few seconds later your health starts to dip. From there you have a variety of options, from hoping out to get them off your titans back, presenting your back to friendlies, popping smoke that deters pilots but doesn't kill them terribly quickly, firing the cluster missile at a wall and shaking your back on that like a bear on treebark, to pulling the nuclear option, ejecting and shooting them in the air above the nuclear blast of your Titan.

Or you could just ignore them because they just have the shotgun and you were planning on nuking in the middle of the opponents titan clump anyway

If they want to change up the Rodeo mechanic they need to give an incentive to stay on the back of an enemy titan until they try to get rid of you out of frustration. Start ripping circuits out of the titan on one side to disable their IFF, climb to the other side and drain their capacitors so their special energy starts draining, go near the bottom of the back to gunk up the mechanics so reloading, punching and ejecting is much slower, etc

your actions can do significantly less damage directly, but after a while the pilot in the Titan notices that things are off and there's a strange scratching noise behind them. Like that time a space racoon got into the reactor chamber.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    You totally get a pop-up on the HUD that says if an an enemy/friendly pilot has boarded you

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    My memory is hazy, but wasn't the HUD popup delayed compared to the audio "THUMP?"

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    My memory is hazy, but wasn't the HUD popup delayed compared to the audio "THUMP?"

When an enemy boarded, yes.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Played some of the new test build.

It's slightly better, the new map is better than the old one too.

But it's still the same bad game modes, and it still has all the changes I don't like from the first, and it's still not fun to play.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    If Respawn has some other game modes hidden away in their pocket then they really should let that info slip soon...

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options

The funny thing about the thumps was it made it sound like the armor on the titan was about as thick as the roof of a car

• Options
    The Mastiff is weird. Its spread is entirely horizontal and the bolts have a fairly significant travel time, so it doesn't seem terribly useful against pilots. Makes a nice mess out of lower-level grunts though.

• Options

The funny thing about the thumps was it made it sound like the armor on the titan was about as thick as the roof of a car
    It did have a "did I just hit a speed bump" kinda noise to it

• Options
    edited August 2016
    My first game of Titanfall 2 was a lag-juttery mess. lol

edit: the second match was worse. It's saying I'm 10ms to the data center but I guess the other people aren't? IDK.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Can you actually play with friends this test ?

Last weekend we could not get a group into the same game at all

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I managed to grapple kill a pilot as he ejected, that was fun.

• Options
    Can you actually play with friends this test ?

Last weekend we could not get a group into the same game at all

If you're on the XB1, I made an ingame network if you want to try that whole deal out. Pax Arcadia's the tag I'm using. Also trying out the Warpfall mod while using Phase Embark and that combination's working pretty great for me so far.

• Options
    Harbringer197Harbringer197 Registered User regular
    so I really like the changes it feels like titanfall again and Kodai is a great map.

btw the lstar laser lmg is amazing. It has no spread when hip fired use stimulant in conjunction and just go around gibbing people.

I still don't like the rodeo mechanic but i think that will change when we get better anti infantry titan weapons.

• Options
    Starting to feel like the real niche for the sidearms is if you opt for the grenadier weapons, that way you're not totally hosed in close-range. EPG is fun, but a great way to vaporize yourself if you're not careful with it.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I still feel like the ads release animation takes too long and it keeps getting me killed.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    So tonight 7PM to 8PM EST is the Happy Hour right?

Gotta get that rad emblem

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Tried another round and I'm just not feeling it.

• Options
    So tonight 7PM to 8PM EST is the Happy Hour right?

Gotta get that rad emblem

Yep, that's it. Also gives you 5 merits for each game completed in that hour if you're not already capped.

• Options
    Got to play a bunch tonight and actually with friends !

Had to make sure we were in a network and also in the same server (like Dallas 1, New York 1, etc) for the invites to work

It was a lot of fun, but I hope there's more weapon types in the full game. Right now all the rifles are variations of an auto rifle, besides the sniper of course. I just really miss scout and pulse rifle types from Destiny and/or DMR and battle rifle from Halo

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    aw, I missed the happy hour thing.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    I don't know if I'll get this. So many other shooters this year, and this one seems to be missing the charm of the first.

JusticeforPluto on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I honestly think I'll end up waiting for it to go on sale so I can play the campaign. That seems like it'd be fun. But the current tech demo just isn't as fun as the first's multiplayer for me.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    I'm positive I'm skipping BF1. I just hope there's a COD open beta so I can decide between those two.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    I'm really digging the beta, but man do I suck at games like this on console. I imagine I'll be going PC again, though - despite being awful - it's pretty satisfying to kick back on the couch and play it on a big screen.

• Options
    I'll give it another go today, I think. But the terribly laggy matches that I played plus the changes that I'm ambivalent about make it a fence game. Definitely can't justify buying it for the shemagh. If they had a mid-range CE with just that though... maybe.

Curious as to why there are clearly bots riding titans as a pilots though. even though both factions seemed to treat pilot life as if it wasn't wasn't worth anything at all. perhaps they just stopped bothering to put the flesh onto the robots they've been mass producing?

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    I just really don't understand why Attrition was replaced with Bounty Hunt.

I don't remember anyone complaining about Attrition. Outside of tweaking the AI aspects a bit.

People liked Attrition.

Bounty Hunt is so restrictive and forces you to stay in one area. It really ruins the freedom the first game had.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Lack of attrition really hurts the buy, but as other games have done... it's never too late to put in a classic mode.

edit: though given they're not just using Azure this time I can see why maybe there's no attrition at launch? reading around they say they have a larger farm (azure, google and amazon hosting plus iron) but quantity doesnt mean quality... they are using a company called Multiplay to manage their servers or w/e... will source and cite later

tastydonuts on