As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Titanfall]

QuidQuid Definitely not a bananaRegistered User regular
edited August 2016 in Games and Technology
JbCqoRQ.jpg

Titanfall is a first person shooter available on the PC and Xbox One now and Xbox 360 on April 8th. It's been a huge hit for two major reasons:

1. Big ol' robots. At least once every match you get the chance to have an automated mech shot out of orbit to your feet. Sometimes on to an enemy if you're lucky. This robot can either operate on its own AI or you can hop in and take control. These mechs are not unstoppable killing machines but rather more like very large, very powerful glass cannons. Well, maybe more like lead cannons. You sacrifice mobility and small target size for firepower.

2. Ridiculous mobility. Ridiculous. Wall running, double jump, and endless sprinting are the standard abilities. You do not just putter around the streets peeking around corners. You sprint along walls, leap through windows, and on to the backs of both friendly and enemy titans to rain hell on your enemies. A player skilled at using their mobility will literally run circles around an enemy titan.

If that sounds like your kind of thing I highly recommend picking it up on one of the systems mentioned above. If your main draw to games is the story... not so much.

Xbox One peeps can fill out this form to get their name added to the gamer tag list.

Xbox One gamer tag list link

PC peeps can fill out this form to get their name added to the Origin ID list.

Origin ID list link

i-kNRGfdw-1050x10000.jpg

i-5cwMmnj-1050x10000.jpg

Quid on

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    attack_on_titanfall_by_bosslogic-d7a4wbz.png

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    The bed time story comic is great every time.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I'm starting to appreciate regenning more now. Gets me to understand other weapons better.

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Another day of killing all but one pilot on a team during evac (he ran to the opposite side of the map), another post whining about how lottery-based achievements like "I killed them all" are complete and utter garbage.

Pretty much the only guaranteed ways to pop it are to:

1) Cheat and boost it.
    2) Hope for an uneven matchup where the majority of the opposing team quits during evac, then kill the one or two dudes that stay.

That stupid achievement was so poorly thought out. Sitting at Gen-8 now, and I'm pretty sure I'll break Gen-10 and unlock everything before I get that achievement cleared.
    I managed to get that achievement without even thinking about it. A match ended, and on the way to the evac point I came up behind 2 players and killed them. Then I got to the point, saw 2 people waiting for the ship, and killed them too. Was shocked when the achievement popped till I noticed that there where only 4 people on the enemy team at the end.

So whatever bitching about this game I do (like the fact that I'll probably never get the 'kill an ejecting pilot with the Railgun' achievement) is mitigated by the fact that I at least got lucky once.

Yeah, you won the lottery in the second way... a lot of people have similar stories. Yet to hear of someone say I KILLED ALL THE MANS.

Also annoyed at the respawn system spawning me in the line of sight of an opponent four times in a row. :|

edit: upside is I dropped my titan on teh dude.

edit2: I'm not overly concerned with it at this point since I'm not even Gen10 yet. It's just those 5/6s that aggravate me.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
    Also, has anyone else noticed that occassionaly enemy autotitans become immune to damage with like a sliver of life left?

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Aww, missed the best one:

i-BKsXfVT-1050x10000.jpg

That's me, btw.

So yesterday I was playing with a buddy and died, for the first time, to a fucking grunt. And not just to a grunt. To a melee from a grunt. I got grunt-punched to death. So embarrassing.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    So I just left an Attrition lobby after a match where my team got rolled, selected Attrition again and...

...got put right back in the same lobby, on the other team, the team that had curb-stomped us the match before.

If the player population on PC is this low less than one calendar month after release, then I think this game is basically doomed as far as having any long-term community beyond the most hardcore diehards. It pains me to say it, but the writing is on the wall.

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I'm not sure that's a population issue. I was getting put back in the same lobby within a week of release.

edited April 2014
    I got thrown into the same lobby three times in a row on Campaign on XB1...it was four sub-lvl10 dudes versus six Gen3+ guys, and I was like fuck that. But each time I quit out and retried, back in there. I wrote that off to it being Campaign, though (lower player base).

But yeah, I really can't imagine playing this on PC. Maybe I'm weird, but the game just screams console game to me. I may pick it up when it goes on sale as a novelty, and to play with a couple friend that have it, but it was definitely an XB1 title for me. I'm guessing I'm not alone there.

EDIT: No offense to my PC brethren, obviously. Hope that's clear.

mcdermott on
    I'm not sure that's a population issue. I was getting put back in the same lobby within a week of release.

Arguably that could mean the player population was dangerously low to begin with. Also, that was before the supposed "improved matchmaking" patch.

True, it's entirely possible that something in the underlying matchmaking is designed to discourage "lobby shopping."

mcdermott wrote: »

True, it's entirely possible that something in the underlying matchmaking is designed to discourage "lobby shopping."

Because nothing keeps people playing like trapping them in the purgatory of unbalanced lobbies where they aren't having fun!

Gaslight wrote: »

Because nothing keeps people playing like trapping them in the purgatory of unbalanced lobbies where they aren't having fun!

I've had it happen to me. Both with games I've won and lost. If you change gametypes or "datacenters" you will get put into a different group though.

• acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    I just dislike that the matchmaking patch doesn't actually address the core issue in the slightest, it only gives us laggier lobbies and longer wait times.
    You can't balance a 6 person pre-made group with 6 randoms who have roughly equal skill coefficients. It's the coordination of the pre-made that makes a stomp a stomp. Hell, whenever we played battlefield it would turn into stomps if we all got on the same team even though a good 80% of us are pretty awful at the game. Just being on vent and optimally filling vehicles was enough to make it damn hard for the other team to come back from.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I was pelting a dude with Sidewinder and called in my titan. Decided to make my entrance look epic, so I'm lobbing more Sidewinder at him as I'm flying through the air to climb in my titan from a midair leap.

Except he uses Vortex Shield to kill me with my own Sidewinder shots on the way down.

Em. Barassing.

Ninja Snarl P on
    edited April 2014
    Gaslight wrote: »

Oh, for sure. I'm not advocating for such a thing.
    I just dislike that the matchmaking patch doesn't actually address the core issue in the slightest, it only gives us laggier lobbies and longer wait times.
    You can't balance a 6 person pre-made group with 6 randoms who have roughly equal skill coefficients. It's the coordination of the pre-made that makes a stomp a stomp. Hell, whenever we played battlefield it would turn into stomps if we all got on the same team even though a good 80% of us are pretty awful at the game. Just being on vent and optimally filling vehicles was enough to make it damn hard for the other team to come back from.

At least in CoD you could go into Ground War, where it was at least less likely that 2-3 players in a party could entirely swing the game. Though man, I remember some 9-man Ground War groups we got together back in the PAMW2 days...that was brutal.

And even the slightest coordination can swing things. A buddy was still low-level, didn't have smoke or clusters, so when he yelled "oh no I'm rodeo'd" I know to swing my gun over and take care of it for him. Little things like that can add up to huge imbalances in a game. Sure, you can talk to and coordinate with randoms, but how often does it happen? I'd bet 50% to 75% of random solo players either have their headset sitting on the couch next to them (because it's easier than muting everybody), or just mute everybody. Of those that remain, half are people who aren't going to be worth talking to anyway (since most of the decent mature players opt-out to begin with).

So yeah, get 3 players or more in a party, and that team will stomp. Almost guaranteed.

mcdermott on
    Shit, in my limited experience thus far two titans that are actually talking to each other are terrifying. We...did things...to the other team. It was bad.

It's kinda like when you've got two guys in a MBT/IFV in BF4 that are talking. The effectiveness goes up significantly. Just calling out enemies/kills is huge (because each time you say "got him" because you saw the points pop your partner knows he can move on).

• acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    yeah honestly I don't even think they need to do math on balancing metrics like trueskill, I bet you'd get at least as balanced matches by simply taking two identical sized groups (one on either team) and then fill the rest with randos. Or in any other logical combination... 4+2 v 4+2, 3+3 v 3+3, etc.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Ugh 50 pilot kills with the Autopistol?

Yeah I think I'm done regening. With no addons the pistols suck. I don't like not having a silencer on my weapons.

I'd really like the autopistol if it had about 5 more rounds. I always run out just before killing my target.

edited April 2014
    urahonky wrote: »

Yeah I think I'm done regening. With no addons the pistols suck. I don't like not having a silencer on my weapons.

dude, it's really not that bad. just ambush people with headshots.

ediT: also, I hate when I find a fresh drop of grunts, call my titan for the titanfall kills for my regen challenge... and hten some dude on my team just MOWS THE ENTIRE SPAWN DOWN FFFFFFFFFFFffffffff >(

tastydonuts on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited April 2014

The Autopistol is just an SMG with a small mag. Once I started treating it that way and used it as my primary weapon, I actually got through that challenge real fast; the Amped Autopistol cards help as well, since the small mag stops being such a concern. You can entirely go head-to-head with most weapons in SMG range and come out ahead with the Autopistol.

I was legitimately surprised at how competent the Autopistol is as a main weapon; I was fully expecting that to be a horrible challenge.

Ninja Snarl P on

ediT: also, I hate when I find a fresh drop of grunts, call my titan for the titanfall kills for my regen challenge... and hten some dude on my team just MOWS THE ENTIRE SPAWN DOWN FFFFFFFFFFFffffffff >(

That's me. I'm the guy doing that. ;)

And I'd argue that is is that bad, because it makes you completely alter your playstyle to something that you may not find particularly fun. Sidearms aren't meant to be primary weapons, so requiring that many pilot kills to regen basically means you're having to play Clowntown-style. It's just another in a proud tradition of achievements/challenges in multiplayer games that require the player to essentially troll, and not play as effectively as they should.

Of course, I'm in the minority that rarely ever uses my sidearm, which I realize is also suboptimal. I'm halfway through Gen2, and I have (I believe) precisely zero pistol kills on pilots. I kill with my primary, and failing that with melee. Seems to work, given a positive K/D, but it means that regen will be particularly painful for me.

And I'd argue that is is that bad, because it makes you completely alter your playstyle to something that you may not find particularly fun. Sidearms aren't meant to be primary weapons, so requiring that many pilot kills to regen basically means you're having to play Clowntown-style. It's just another in a proud tradition of achievements/challenges in multiplayer games that require the player to essentially troll, and not play as effectively as they should.

Of course, I'm in the minority that rarely ever uses my sidearm, which I realize is also suboptimal. I'm halfway through Gen2, and I have (I believe) precisely zero pistol kills on pilots. I kill with my primary, and failing that with melee. Seems to work, given a positive K/D, but it means that regen will be particularly painful for me.

The point of the challenge is to do just that though. It makes you play a weapon you don't usually use, or go for a thing that you don't usually try to do in order to progress...

I pretty much only use the sidearms when I'm using either the DMR or Kraber as my primary (which was extremely rare until I hit gen 4) or when I'm rodeoing a titan and just need a bit more damage.

I've, frequently topped the scoreboard with DMR + Autopistol by running around with the autopistol out and mowing down whatever I can, then stopping to pop off some rounds with the DMR. It's far from Clowntown-style, it just means reconfiguring how you play a bit. I'm talking games where I've scored 100+ points and mowed down a dozen or more pilots, too, not just barely beat out somebody using "better" weapons.

The point of the challenge is to do just that though. It makes you play a weapon you don't usually use, or go for a thing that you don't usually try to do in order to progress...

Meh, I still say that playing with a secondary weapon as your primary is generally suboptimal gameplay. Though I suppose the DMR/sniper argument holds some weight. I don't tend to play with long rifles, which is why I tend to view my sidearm as superfluous.

edited April 2014

Meh, I still say that playing with a secondary weapon as your primary is generally suboptimal gameplay. Though I suppose the DMR/sniper argument holds some weight. I don't tend to play with long rifles, which is why I tend to view my sidearm as superfluous.

You don't have to do the challenge though. And playing with the autopistol as your primary is simply expediting the completion of the challenge. If you swap and kill (which is faster than reloading) in combat, you'll get the challenge completed over time anyway.

tastydonuts on
    You don't have to do the challenge though. And playing with the autopistol as your primary is simply expediting the completion of the challenge. If you swap and kill (which is faster than reloading) in combat, you'll get the challenge completed over time anyway.

Well yeah, you don't have to, it's just required for regen. Nobody has to complete any achievements ever, but most people will try to. Of course, Gooser is worse, so whatever.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Pistols are just plain boring though. I mean why wouldn't they let us at least choose the silencer or extended mag?

• PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    http://www.twitch.tv/cityflex/b/517664890

360 footage. I had honestly never seen that path at 38:00 before.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    360 version looks surprisingly good for how little they have shown off up until now.
    Someone linked me to the Kotaku article with a few streams in it. I scrolled down and went blind from the visceral gore going on in the comments. People will use any excuse to start an internet slap fight.

edited April 2014
    Peccavi wrote: »

On top of that, once you climb up to that path, you can walljump up even further onto a higher ledge which gives you full view of most of the map and trees for visual cover.

I've never seen anybody up there a single time besides myself in 100-something hours of playing.

There are actually a number of useful spots that aren't at all a secret, but almost nobody knows about because everyone gets used to approaching certain levels in certain ways.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    Peccavi wrote: »

Other than the muddy textures, sub-720p blurriness, and the lower framerate, that looks pretty much like Titanfall. Considering how old the hardware is, I'm fairly impressed. It looks like those who are still sitting on the the next-gen fence could grab this and have a pretty decent experience with it. Though how it actually performs in the wild will remain to be seen, hopefully that lag was only a result of it being too early for the full compliment of servers to be up and running.

It'll be really interesting to see what the 360 sales numbers look like, since they've been advertising TF so heavily as an "XBOne" game.

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
    Pistols are just plain boring though. I mean why wouldn't they let us at least choose the silencer or extended mag?
    I wouldn't mind sidearm attachments, but I actually really like the sidearms in TF. The autopistol is crazy good, and I love the revolver an unhealthy amount. I have had some crazy moments with the revolver, once I took on 3 dudes and managed to headshot two of them with the revolver and kick the last guy. Of course past 25 or so feet it's too wiley to use but up close it just blows people away.

So, right now I'm a few titanfall drop kills from completing every challenge to get to Gen-9 except the roadblock one; win 100 matches. I wonder if, when the same people that stopped grinding or complained to high hell about getting 50 gooser kills actually get to this point, they'll complain a lot about it? And will Respawn nerf this challenge too? I mean this challenge requires a minimum of 100 matches to be played, heh.

So, right now I'm a few titanfall drop kills from completing every challenge to get to Gen-9 except the roadblock one; win 100 matches. I wonder if, when the same people that stopped grinding or complained to high hell about getting 50 gooser kills actually get to this point, they'll complain a lot about it? And will Respawn nerf this challenge too? I mean this challenge requires a minimum of 100 matches to be played, heh.

I have seen enough gen 10s to know this won't be an issue. I am almost gen 4 and I have won ~200 games. It can not possibly take more than a month to complete unless you lose on a consistent basis.

• CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular

I have no doubt there will be a big outcry. And for someone who only pubs, it would be a fairly daunting challenge. For those of us who regularly group up though, it really isn't more than just a normal time-sink.

Otherwise yeah, the rest of the Gen 9 challenges are surprisingly easy.

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
    I've got nearly a 100 matches won while just waiting at Gen 5 for Respawn to bump the Gooser stuff down. That particular challenge requires zero modification of how you would play normally, it just takes a while. The problem with Gooser is that there isn't a damned thing you can do if you get into a match where the entire team is running Autoeject or you get too preoccupied with actually playing to be able to stop and shoot at every ejecting pilot.

Hell, case in point? I got to Gen 5 a few weeks ago, got 9 Gooser kills in the first week, gave up the challenge due to sheer randomness, have had 2 Gooser kills since then as part of normal play, and am now waaaaaay closer to finishing "get 100 wins" than I am to Gooser. Even if I'd kept up trying, the numbers say I would very likely only be at 30-something Gooser kills, except I would've also gotten a shit-ton of frustration at the same time because trying to finish a challenge which has ridiculous conditions.

So one challenge would've been a massive load of frustration and weeks to try and finish, and the other is just from doing whatever I do normally. I don't see any problem with that at all.

CarbonFire wrote: »

I have no doubt there will be a big outcry. And for someone who only pubs, it would be a fairly daunting challenge. For those of us who regularly group up though, it really isn't more than just a normal time-sink.

Otherwise yeah, the rest of the Gen 9 challenges are surprisingly easy.

Oh, I only pub. I haven't had problems with the challenge.

That said, this challenge isn't an "immediate gratification" kinda thing... so... I expect there to be whine. I just hope they don't cave again.