As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Are these Wii games worth purchasing?

JeanJean Heartbroken papa bearGatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
edited April 2007 in Games and Technology
I want a new game for my Wii and I've been considering the followings :

Red Steel
Sonic : Secret Rings
Elebits
Wario Ware : Smooth Move

Are they worth purchasing?

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
Jean on

• Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Red Steel: No

Sonic: Yes

Others: Have no opinion but I hear they're good.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Elebits: yes if you like doing challenges to get a high score. If you don't, you should at least rent it.
    Sonic: yes

Couscous on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Buy all those but red steel. Red Steel is worth $20, not $50.

Veevee on
  • Options
    CraveonCraveon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    All the WarioWare titles are musthaves IMO, and this one is no different. One of the greatest contemporary game series of all.

Craveon on
    elegyofemptiness.jpg
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It would help if we knew what you liked.

In general terms, Wario Ware isn't for everyone but it was the system-seller for me; totally great if you love frantic, maddening action that spins you around until you fall down and replaying for high scores. I've also heard lots of good things for Sonic; the general vibe is that the game starts slow, but once you get the base abilities it really picks up and by the end you're blazing down the tracks and you're loving it.

Elebits just didn't click for me, and Red Steel isn't nearly as bad as the Internet would lead you to believe. It's $29.99 at Gamestop now, but you may want to rent it and see what you think. It's a servicable FPS, but your opinions of the controls will be what makes it great/horrible.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I really liked Elebits and I definitely think it's worth owning but try to find a used copy instead and save $10. It's a great game and there's a lot of replayability because of challenges. Also there's a level editor. Everyone loves level editors!

But it's probably not for everyone.

Taya on
  • Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It would help if we knew what you liked.

My favourite genre is action RPGs but I like to have every genre in my game library. My favourite games on the GCN were RE4 and Tales of Symphonia and on PS2 my fav were God of War, DMC3, Tales of the Abyss and FF12.

Jean on
    "You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'll definitely throw in my vote for Elebits, right now it's my second favorite game for the Wii behind Twilight Princess.

Red Steel...yeah, don't buy it unless you find it for $20 or less.

I've only played Sonic for a few minutes at a demo kiosk, but it was fun and everything else I've heard about it has been good.

WarioWare I sadly haven't played at all, but might look for, given the above responses.

Taximes on
  • Options
    BladeofTheImmortalBladeofTheImmortal __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    Rent all of them. man, jail is gay.

BladeofTheImmortal on
  • Options
    SmileytheEmoticonSmileytheEmoticon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    I say they are all good, well from what I have heard. I haven't played any though. But Warioware is a must.

SmileytheEmoticon on
  • Options
    MashalotMashalot Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I dug Elebits but it's a little clunky and repetitive. I beat it over months, picking it up and beating a few stages here and there. There's a ton to do if you want to 100% it, lots of not especially amazing stuff to unlock. Basically modes to replay the same levels over again in. Lots of slowdown, though not game-breaking. Like a katamari meets pikmin fps that's less than the sum of its parts.

WarioWare is awesome but goes by quickly, definitely caters to a certain sense of humor. No 2P from the start=total bullshit. If you find yourself easily frustrated with wiimote controls it might drive you crazy, but it's also a good way to get used to them. I spent half the game unwittingly doing the mortal and pestle upside-down and wanting to kill shit before I realized how I was screwing up.

I'm glad I bought them, had fun with them but both definitely 'above average but not for everyone'.

Dunno bout the other two. Everyone seems to rag on red steel. Sonic :?:

Mashalot on
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Two thumbs up for mod that banned him. Good riddance.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Red Steel is now $30 msrp, i believe.

I personally love Sonic Secret Rings, but it's love/hate, and it takes about an hour to "get into the groove" of the game.

slash000 on
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Sonic is most definitely worth it.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Sonic is most definitely worth it.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I liked Red Steel, but it's pretty average of a game. The whole wiimote-shooting, sword fighting, and 'Focus mechanic' of the game add a little to make it more fun and interesting, but that's essentially all it does the whole time. I'm probably one of the few who really enjoyed the swordfighting, and I tend to like Wiimote-shooting in general, even if its application is superior (and awesome) in COD3. I feel like $30 is a good price for it, and it's $25 used now, I believe.

I'd definitely go for Sonic, out of that whole list, but I personally feel as though all of those games are quite good, Red Steel being the least desirable of the bunch.

slash000 on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I can't really vouch for the others but I love Elebits. The best comparison is to Katamari. It's quirky, different, and gains alot of replay if you're the type that likes to play levels over and over again trying to beat your high school. It's a very tactile experience too - it's one of the games that just feels right with the Wiimote.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Red Steel: Naw, t's unfortunate, but the game just didn't work out well

Sonic : Secret Rings: I didn't get to play much of it, and it wasn't my cup of tea, but it might just be a leaqrning curve thing.

Elebits: One of the best games so far, IMO. It is a non-violent FPS. It is an extremely immersive story of childhood feelings. It's not for everyone, but it's at least worth a rental.

Wario Ware : Smooth Move: A great way to get used to the system, and if you intend to do a lot of multi-player, a MUST own.

I'd also recomend Tony Hawk: Downhill Jam. It is basically an SSX game with Excite Truck controls, a slew of unlockables, a trick system that is easy to pick up while still being challenging to master, a variety of multiplayer options, and on top of everything, the humor in the game is actually funny.

Evander on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    WarioWare yes times a thousand. I've been playing it regularly since it came out over 2 months ago.

bruin on
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Red Steel and Sonic are rents for me, because they're pretty much love-it-or-hate-it. WarioWare is damn near essential. That and Wii Sports are the games with real life in them so far, IMHO.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    Elessar ElfstoneElessar Elfstone Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    WarioWare is the only purchase-worthy title imo

Elessar Elfstone on
    Tobias: Or it could be your colon. I'd want to get in there and find some answers.

Forsake, Warlock of Stonemaul
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Evander wrote: »
    Elebits: One of the best games so far, IMO. It is a non-violent FPS. It is an extremely immersive story of childhood feelings. It's not for everyone, but it's at least worth a rental.

Immersive story? Childhood feelings? What Elebits game did you play? A kid gets left alone by his parents, finds his dad's gun and goes on a shooting spree in his town. All done to the voice actors from Baten Kaitos.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    SpazMuffinSpazMuffin Hey Cut it outRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I kind of have to give a negative vote for Elebits. I've been trying to enjoy it but it just isn't fun for me. People keep saying it isn't for everyone so I guess I fall into that group.

I will however throw my vote in for WarioWare. It is the sort of game that just leaves you with a smile on your face. And it is one of the funnier games I have ever played.

SpazMuffin on
    Cosgrove_Face_Sig.jpg
  • Options
    Smacky The FrogSmacky The Frog Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I've played all of those except Elebits.

Red Steel - Boring FPS with bad AI, bad level design, and bad controls.
    Wario Ware - Good game, but not worth $50. You'll have seen all there is to see in about four hours, including multiplayer.
    Sonic - Again, it's good but not $50. It got boring for me extremely quickly.

Smacky The Frog on
    wahjahbanner.jpg
  • Options
    rightbelowrightbelow Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Elebits! Colorful and addictive.

rightbelow on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Wario is very, very fun, especially with friends.

Sonic's fun, though it's got a steep learning curve (if you can make it past hour two, the game gets much, much better) and it's a bit short.

Red Steel: no.

Haven't seen Elebits.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    BiggNifeBiggNife Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I agree that Sonic starts off mediocre but gets progressively better once you get more levels and upgrades. Its worth buying if you dont mind going through that.

Wario Ware is genius, but keep in mind its meant to be a party game. You can burn through the single player in an hour or two.

Red Steel is eh. If you want a Wii FPS, get Call of Duty 3 instead. Again, steep learning curve but fun once you get used to it.

BiggNife on
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'd say Sonic is probably the only one possibly worth the price. WarioWare is cool, but that is not a fifty dollar game, not even close.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    WarioWare is the system seller. It is the foremost reason to own a wii.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    WarioWare is the system seller. It is the foremost reason to own a wii.

for a few more days.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    SpazMuffinSpazMuffin Hey Cut it outRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    BiggNife wrote: »
    Wario Ware is genius, but keep in mind its meant to be a party game. You can burn through the single player in an hour or two.
    If by burn through you mean beat each character's level, then yes you can. But you still have tons of minigames to unlock and then separate "minigames" (like can-shooter). And this game is like an old arcade game, you play for high scores.

Sure in Frogger you could get to the other side, but can you do it again, with more cars and less time? That is what this game is.

SpazMuffin on
    Cosgrove_Face_Sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Indeed. Personally, I like to play WarioWare games in the way I like to play Tetris or other puzzlers; yes, you can "see" all that there is "to see" in a few hours, but playing to get better and better as the game gets tougher and crazier, in order to ultimately get a higher score is where the replay value is found.

slash000 on
  • Options
    LaveLave regular
    edited April 2007
    Red Steel is wierd. I quiet enjoy it (but never have time to play it). It's not worth buying because if any game on that list is going to be £10 2nd hand in a year or so it will be that.

I've played Wario Ware for an hour or so on a friends copy and loved it.
    slash000 wrote: »
    Indeed. Personally, I like to play WarioWare games in the way I like to play Tetris or other puzzlers; yes, you can "see" all that there is "to see" in a few hours, but playing to get better and better as the game gets tougher and crazier, in order to ultimately get a higher score is where the replay value is found.

This is spot on. If you can get with this - you will <3 it in single player.

But I heard in this version you can't play a level on and on. It just stops when you beat the boss. Is that true?

To be honest from your list of favourite games - the Wii doesn't match too well at the moment.

elkatas wrote: »

Two thumbs up for mod that banned him. Good riddance.

It was Echo. My new all time hero.

Lave on
    poirot1vi.gif
    Scholar and a Gentleman? Critical of bad science and religion? Skeptobot - Is for you!!
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I personally endorse the purchase of Koroinpa (sp?) that marble game, Its pretty cheap in the UK ( around £20)
    It short but very fun.

Ziggymon on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Lave wrote: »
    But I heard in this version you can't play a level on and on. It just stops when you beat the boss. Is that true?

No, you can still play the levels forever. What you're thinking of, is it no longer has the infinite levels for the single games. So you can't just play, say, the phone picking up game on to infinity. It only has 3 levels for those, just like a practice round. The character levels though, you still can.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    LaveLave regular
    edited April 2007
    Lave wrote: »

No, you can still play the levels forever. What you're thinking of, is it no longer has the infinite levels for the single games. So you can't just play, say, the phone picking up game on to infinity. It only has 3 levels for those, just like a practice round. The character levels though, you still can.

That still sucks - but is no where near as bad. Phew.

This, Trauma Centre, Metal Slug Anthology and Sonic are on my BUY list.

Lave on
    poirot1vi.gif
    Scholar and a Gentleman? Critical of bad science and religion? Skeptobot - Is for you!!
  • Options
    tardcoretardcore Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    No
    No
    Yes
    No
    Order it with a side of fries, you won't be disappointed.
    No
    No
    Sometimes
    Yes
    No

tardcore on
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The only one I can recommend purchasing without hesitation is Warioware.

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Warioware is a must have. But all of them are IMO.

Elebits is decent.

Super Paper Mario comes out this week. It should be good.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    gaming_librariangaming_librarian Turn your face to the sun... Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I personally must recommend Rayman: Raving Rabbids, for a nice mix of crazy and fun. Lots of replay value for high scores. You didn't mention it, but it's one that I didn't have on my radar either, but I'm glad I finally picked it up. Good times.

gaming_librarian on