As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wrestling] Friendship Is Rare!

• Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    to be fair, I doubt he sat there and demanded that sandow get sent to development hell, basically

and honestly...I dunno if you can have bray wyatt take out john cena, it's kind of why I didn't really want that match to happen in the first place

agreed; for better or worse, "evil cult leader defeats beloved hero to the children" is not an ending to a story that WWE is equipped to deal with

Man, I'm on a roll with this. Speaking of Cena, let's what him truck it with Luke Harper on the build to WrestleMania:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNgzx4yyJpA

Dex Dynamo on
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    I don't know if I'd entirely count the Bryan thing. The match was great don't get me wrong, but the ultimate result that night (Cena loses) was kinda already known because of the fact that his elbow was completely fucked up.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Also I really prefer it when Wrestlemania is about feel-good endings.

Yeah, you could have had the evil cult man beat and/or corrupt the hero. Just like you could have had World Champion Triple H. But I like that the good guys won. It just works for Mania.

Especially since we already had the streak ending as out big downer of the show.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I don't know if I'd entirely count the Bryan thing. The match was great don't get me wrong, but the ultimate result that night (Cena loses) was kinda already known because of the fact that his elbow was completely fucked up.

I don't think anyone is saying that Bryan won the match because Cena wanted him to or something, just that Cena worked his ass off to make Bryan look like his equal in the match during a time when Bryan wasn't established yet.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular

it'd been fucked up for awhile before then!

• Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    The reason Cena won against Bray at the end was most likely because they decided they didn't want both Cena and Undertaker to lose even if Bryan was going to win in the end.

• Options
    Eric Young (c) vs. Magnus for the World Heavyweight Championship
    Kurt Angle and Willow vs. EC3 and Spud
    Bobby Roode vs. Bully Ray in a Tables Match
    James Storm vs. Gunner in an 'I Quit' Match
    Sanada (c) vs. Tigre Uno - Match 3 in Best of 3 Series for the X Division Championship
    Madison Rayne (c) vs. Angelina Love for the Knockouts Championship
    Mr. Anderson vs Samuel Shaw in a Loser gets Committed Match

This is a PPV that is happening Sunday, that costs 4 times as much as the Network.

Buy the Network instead. Buy the Network.

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    why does Mr. Anderson need to be committed

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    They should all be I Quit matches.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Another live NXT event, Takeover, has been announced for Thursday, May 29
    STAMFORD, Conn. — WWE announced today that NXT Takeover, a live, two-hour action-packed special, will air exclusively on WWE Network on Thursday, May 29 at 8 p.m. ET. Following the success of NXT ArRIVAL, the special will once again showcase the best and brightest from the WWE Performance Center and include appearances by WWE Superstars and Legends.

30 minutes prior to the event, the NXT Takeover pre-show will air at 7:30 p.m. ET and include exclusive interviews and appearances by NXT Superstars, WWE Superstars and Legends.

“As NXT continues to grow in popularity and our fans demand to see more of the next generation of WWE Superstars, we are going to deliver live, in-ring programs featuring up-and-coming talent on WWE Network,” said Paul “Triple H” Levesque, Executive Vice President, Talent, Live Events & Creative. “Our live NXT specials on WWE Network bring out the very best in our performers and make for must-see TV for the WWE Universe."

On February 27, NXT ArRIVAL on WWE Network had 21 worldwide Twitter trends and was No. 3 in overall social mentions for primetime programs on both cable and broadcast. The event had more social mentions than American Idol, the Vikings premiere on History Channel, college basketball on ESPN and Vampire Diaries on CW.

• Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    My only gripes with Cena's ring work are how sloppy his signature offense looks.
    His STF is a shocker, and it's really easy to apply a good STF. It must be because Chono did it (SHOTS FIRED! COME AT ME BRO!). His shoulder block makes me cringe every single time, same goes for that awful Fisherman's suplex. The worst offender is his Protoplex though, he flat out doesn't even try with that move anymore.

He has "Lex Luger punch syndrome" as well, but worked punches are pretty hard to get right in venues bigger than a closet so let's not dwell on that. Plus I don't even know where to put the thumb in a fist, so I don't have a leg to stand on critiquing somebody for their punching prowess. Just sayin'.

Dyvim Tvar on
    Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    It is really weird that Cena's capable of being a really great wrestler with everything outside of his usual moveset. I don't even understand why anybody would use the STF when the Hangman's Clutch looks so much better.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Just for fun (okay, mostly boredom too), I did some research.

WCW: Oct. 11, 1988 - Mar. 26, 2001. 4550 days, or 12 years 5 months 16 days.

TNA started May 10, 2002, and is currently at 4368 days, or 11 years 11 months 15 days. They would have about the same lifespan as WCW...6 months from now, in October.

It's already been talked about frequently, but their contract with Spike ends in October. Negotiations look horrid now, but still better than their chances of surviving if Spike doesn't resign.

TL;DR if you think the TNA and WCW comparisons are out of hand now, understand we are one "no" from Spike away from them lasting exactly as long as WCW did. It's glorious.

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    after Bischoff, Russo, and Hogan

no way is TNA like WCW

not at all

• Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    Just for fun (okay, mostly boredom too), I did some research.

WCW: Oct. 11, 1988 - Mar. 26, 2001. 4550 days, or 12 years 5 months 16 days.

TNA started May 10, 2002, and is currently at 4368 days, or 11 years 11 months 15 days. They would have about the same lifespan as WCW...6 months from now, in October.

It's already been talked about frequently, but their contract with Spike ends in October. Negotiations look horrid now, but still better than their chances of surviving if Spike doesn't resign.

TL;DR if you think the TNA and WCW comparisons are out of hand now, understand we are one "no" from Spike away from them lasting exactly as long as WCW did. It's glorious.

Funnily enough both were entities prior to taking those names as well and both started as part of the NWA.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    It is really weird that Cena's capable of being a really great wrestler with everything outside of his usual moveset. I don't even understand why anybody would use the STF when the Hangman's Clutch looks so much better.

Cena is a good wrestler who can look great with the right opponent. His effort is always there, but he is just limited enough that his opponent needs to be able to put in good work rate. In short he isn't Angle, Brett, Bryan, put on a 5 star with a broom good, but he is pretty damn capable. Similarities in character portrayal aside, comparisons to Hogan are bullshit.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    has Kurt Angle's career really sunk to the level of tag teaming with Jeff Hardy's backyard gimmick?

That so is fucking depressing

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Eric Young (c) vs. Magnus for the World Heavyweight Championship
    Kurt Angle and Willow vs. EC3 and Spud
    Bobby Roode vs. Bully Ray in a Tables Match
    James Storm vs. Gunner in an 'I Quit' Match
    Sanada (c) vs. Tigre Uno - Match 3 in Best of 3 Series for the X Division Championship
    Madison Rayne (c) vs. Angelina Love for the Knockouts Championship
    Mr. Anderson vs Samuel Shaw in a Loser gets Committed Match

Fuck off, TNA.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    NXT taKeOver

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    Chris Hero to make his triumphant return.

Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Hey, so the thing about TNA is that they still pull in decent ratings for Spike, and part of what is keeping the negotiations at a standstill is Spike thinking they have a chance to land WWE's TV deal. When they finally resign with NBC Universal (calling my shot here), then you'll see Impact get renewed.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    facetious wrote: »
    NXT taKeOver

NXT New Bo-ginnings.

• Options
    Nirya wrote: »
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »
    What they need is an unbeatable move they can teach to the heroic locker room.

A WWE special, if you will.

Chris Hero will eventually find out the counter to it, though.

Kassius Ohno re-debut imminent

I like this alternate future that we have created.

• Options
    NXT TakeBover

Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    What they need is an unbeatable move they can teach to the heroic locker room.

A WWE special, if you will.

Chris Hero will eventually find out the counter to it, though.

Kassius Ohno re-debut imminent

I like this alternate future that we have created.

I'm so proud of this moment.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    SUPERINTENDANT ALEXANDER RUSEV

I see someone's been reading my high school AU fanfaction

• Options
    also holy fuck this new NXT commentator sounds remarkably like Wink Vavasseur

• Options
    hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular
    Tyson Kidd is on this episode of NXT. I will be very sad if he doesn't debut his new burglar gimmick.

• Options
    CorporateRedCorporateRed Wooooooo! Registered User regular
    My daughter was not happy that Paige lost there.

Steam ID: Corporate Red
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CorporateRedCorporateRed Wooooooo! Registered User regular
    Is one of the announcers Alex Riley? If so, he's a dimwit. He's actually dim whether or not he's Riley, but I think that's who it is.

Charlotte wraps Emma's head in a leg scissors:
    "Jason, you were a wrestler, what would you call this move?"
    "Umm...a leg scissors?"
    "Well sure, but what kind of leg scissors?"
    "...?"
    "It's pretty similar to her father's figure four leglock, wouldn't you say?"
    silence

Steam ID: Corporate Red
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    WHEN WE SAY UCE, Y'ALL SAY OLE!

• Options
    edited April 2014
    UTA has signed the Nashville-based TNA Entertainment. That is the company behind IMPACT Wrestling, which has become one of Spike TV’s top-rated shows, and which is broadcast in 120 countries worldwide. TNA also produced more than 100 live IMPACT Wrestling shows and monthly pay-per-view events anchored by a stable of spandex stars that includes Jeff Hardy, Bobby Roode, Kurt Angle, Eric Young, Magnus, James Storm, MVP, Gail Kim and the lovely and lethal Knockouts. UTA will help the 12-year-old company broaden its TV reach and expand its licensing programs, arena shows and social media. “UTA’s diverse range of capabilities make them an ideal partner to help TNA add tremendous visibility and value to the global IMPACT Wrestling brand,” said TNA president Dixie Carter. “We are confident that by working with the UTA team, we will not only expand our wrestling business in exciting ways, but we will also build new entertainment ventures and properties.”

Really this is all that needs to be shown with regards to how severe talks with Spike are. They don't sign with a Hollywood talent management agency if they think they're keeping their network spot, no matter what happens with WWE's TV rights.

ed: VV I'm...not disputing that? I'm just pointing out that they wouldn't do that if they weren't desperate. It's very smart with the position they're in.

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    UTA has signed the Nashville-based TNA Entertainment. That is the company behind IMPACT Wrestling, which has become one of Spike TV’s top-rated shows, and which is broadcast in 120 countries worldwide. TNA also produced more than 100 live IMPACT Wrestling shows and monthly pay-per-view events anchored by a stable of spandex stars that includes Jeff Hardy, Bobby Roode, Kurt Angle, Eric Young, Magnus, James Storm, MVP, Gail Kim and the lovely and lethal Knockouts. UTA will help the 12-year-old company broaden its TV reach and expand its licensing programs, arena shows and social media. “UTA’s diverse range of capabilities make them an ideal partner to help TNA add tremendous visibility and value to the global IMPACT Wrestling brand,” said TNA president Dixie Carter. “We are confident that by working with the UTA team, we will not only expand our wrestling business in exciting ways, but we will also build new entertainment ventures and properties.”

Really this is all that needs to be shown with regards to how severe talks with Spike are. They don't sign with a Hollywood talent management agency if they think they're keeping their network spot, no matter what happens with WWE's TV rights.

Except that's a really smart move on their part?

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    today we learn how to spell Shield in the phonetic alphabet

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    NXT spoilers for the next 4 weeks
    Alexander Rusev squashed an enhancement wrestler in a dark match.

Episode One

1. Tyson Kidd beat Bo Dallas.

2. Sasha Banks over Bailey to advance in the NXT tournament.

3. Adam Rose beat Danny Burch. Rose won quickly. A member of the Rose entourage was attacked by Camacho.

4. Natalya beat Layla in a tournament match. Natalya won with a Sharpshooter.

5. Mojo Rawley defeated Oliver Grey. Mojo won quickly. Aiden English came out to the stage and cut a promo telling him to leave the ring. English attacked him, but Rawley quickly clotheslined him over the top rope.

6. Adrian Neville defeated Brodus Clay in a No DQ match to retain the NXT Championship. Clay had the title belt on his chest after failing to use it as a weapon.

Episode Two

Triple H came out for a promo. He announced that there would be a battle royal to determine the No. 1 contender for the NXT Title. He also stated that on the NXT live special, the NXT Championship and NXT Women's Championship will be defended.

1. Charlotte pinned Emma in a tournament match. Emma went for the Cobra, but hit Sasha Banks on the ring apron, leading to Charlotte rolling her up for the win.

2. Calisto and El Locale beat The Legionnaires.

3. Camacho beat the masked member of Adam Rose's entourage. Camacho won with a running power slam.

4. Alexa Bliss beat Alicia Fox in a tournament match.

5. The 20-man battle royal was a three-way draw. Tyson Kidd eliminated Bo Dallas and it came down to Kidd, Sami Zayn, and Tyler Breeze. All three remaining entrants hit the floor at the same time.

Triple H announced that Kidd, Zayn, and Breeze would meet in a Triple Threat match on the next show to determine which man will challenge for the NXT Championship on the NXT Takeover special on May 29.

Episode Three

1. The Ascension beat a pair of enhancement wrestlers. Squash match. The Ascension said they need something new to destroy. The lucha tag team came out and issued a challenge.

2. Charlotte defeated Alexa Bliss in the second round of the tournament. Charlotte won clean.

3. Mojo Rawley beat Aiden English.

4. Big Cass beat Angelo Dawkins. CJ Parker came out holding a sign that read "This sign is recyclable."

5. Tyson Kidd defeated Sami Zayn and Tyler Breeze in a Triple Threat match to become No. 1 contender to the NXT Championship. Best match of the night thus far. Zayn caught Breeze with a big boot. Zayn was dumped to the floor by Kidd, who followed up with a top rope elbow drop onto Breeze for the win. Kidd will challenge for the NXT Championship on May 29.

Episode Four

It was announced Big E would face Bo Dallas in a "win or go home match." If Bo wins, he gets a future NXT Title shot. If Bo loses, he's out of NXT.

1. Paige defeated Tamina Snuka. Tamina went for a splash, but Paige got her feet up and then rolled her up for the pin.

2. Adam Rose beat Camacho by count out. Rose went for his finisher, but Camacho slipped out and went to the floor, where he was counted out.

3. Natalya defeated Sasha Banks to advance in the tournament. Sasha was at risk of being counted out so Charlotte threw her back inside. Natalya applied the Sharpshooter and Sasha tapped out. The tournament finals are Natalya vs. Charlotte.

4. NXT Champion Adrian Neville defeated Curt Hawkins. Neville won a quick match. Afterward, Kidd came out and said he would win the NXT Championship on May 29.

5. Big E defeated Bo Dallas in a "win or go home match." Bo performed his double-arm DDT and went for a cover, but E kicked out. E gained control and won with The Big Ending. Goodbye Bo from NXT. This was the final match of the taping.

So Samuray Del Sol finally debuts but still no Sami Callahan. Glad Kalisto is teaming with Ricardo all the same.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Bo's on his way go the WWE! Smackdown or RAW?

• Options
    Either give him to Vickie Guererro to manage or make him a Paul Heyman guy.

• Options
    Bolieve in Ebolution

• Options
    Hullis wrote: »
    today we learn how to spell Shield in the phonetic alphabet

Sierra
    Hotel
    India
    Echo
    Lima
    Delta

This discussion has been closed.