As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stephen Colbert's "The Late show" starting September 8th

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I can't bring myself to have any animosity for the guy

he's playing a character in his youtube videos for many dump trucks per month of money

even if I loath his content

override367 on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    I've definitely come around on PewDiePie too over the years. He seems alright.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    We are excited to announce that The Legend of Zelda: Symphony of the Goddesses will perform as the musical guest on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert on Tuesday, October 13th, including highlights from the upcoming The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes game set to launch October 23.

UPCOMING GUESTS ON "THE LATE SHOW with STEPHEN COLBERT," 10/5-10/16

Monday through Friday, 11:35 PM-12:37 AM, ET/PT
    (*Denotes changes and/or additions to previous schedule
    (n) Denotes new broadcast)
    Monday, Oct. 5
    Senator John McCain; Cellist Yo-Yo Ma; interview with and performance by ballerina Misty Copeland (n)

Tuesday, Oct. 6:
    Former President Bill Clinton; Comedian Billy Eichner; musical performance by Florence and the Machine (n)

Wednesday, Oct. 7
    Actress Gina Rodriguez; Economist Ben Bernanke; musical performance by Tame Impala (n)

*Thursday, Oct. 8
    Actress Cate Blanchett; CEO of Airbnb Brian Chesky; Dartmouth University Football Dummy (n)

Friday, Oct. 9
    James Corden, host of the CBS's "The Late Late Show"; Co-Founder and CEO of Vice Media Shane Smith; musical performance by Halsey (n)

*Monday, Oct. 12
    Actress Carey Mulligan; Elvis Costello; musical performance by Darlene Love (n)

*Tuesday, Oct. 13
    Sarah Silverman; Actor Elijah Wood; musical performance by The Legend of Zelda: Symphony of the Goddesses (n)

*Wednesday, Oct. 14
    Actor Jack Black; CEO of Go Pro Nick Woodman; performance by tap dancer Michelle Dorrance (n)

*Thursday, Oct. 15
    Oprah Winfrey; Creators of "Welcome to Night Vale" Joseph Fink and Jeffrey Cranor; musical performance by Judith Hill (n)

*Friday, Oct. 16
    The cast and director of "Crimson Peak": Jessica Chastain, Tom Hiddleston, Mia Wasikowska and Guillermo Del Toro; musical performance by Beach House (n)

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I love that Stephen is a nerd. This is awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg8d3TJzVl0

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Makes me want to see Symphony of the Goddesses again! So good.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Makes me want to see Distant Worlds on the show, too.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Seeing Symphony of the Goddesses live was fun

I don't know if it was $100 fun but

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    When I sent to see SotG, we literally had a storm start during the song of storms. It was the best of special effects.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Makes me want to see Symphony of the Goddesses again! So good.

Good news: 2016 dates announced.

(Bad news: Nothing near me, but we just had one last month so I guess I understand.)

• Options
    JMan711JMan711 6'8" weighs a f*&#ing ton He's coming, he's coming, he's comingRegistered User regular
    A buddy of mine went to the Late Show yesterday and got a shout out from Stephen for his beard. You can see Colbert gesture to him after he comes out to start the show.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    I love that Stephen is a nerd. This is awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg8d3TJzVl0

First time I heard of that orchestra was on that episode.

When it hit the overworld theme I turned into a gibbering mess because of the massive megaton grade nostalgia bomb

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    So, Colbert's still goin. Apparently his ratings aren't doing super hot? Kinda disappointing, cause I've been enjoying the show. Only watch it online, though, so maybe I'm part of the problem. Anyway, they had Joanna Newsom on last night and it was a pretty great performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE-uK67PGjo

He also had Steve Carrell on the night before and it was nice seeing how close they were.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    As we saw with Conan, someone taking over for someone else always leads to a ratings decline as the people comfortable with the old often don't want to bother with the new. I'd assume it was made worse due to how big the gap between Letterman leaving and Colbert beginning was. So far Colbert still feels a little stiff to me but little by little he's loosening up so I'm pretty confident he'll eventually reach his stride.

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    So, Colbert's still goin. Apparently his ratings aren't doing super hot? Kinda disappointing, cause I've been enjoying the show. Only watch it online, though, so maybe I'm part of the problem. Anyway, they had Joanna Newsom on last night and it was a pretty great performance.

He also had Steve Carrell on the night before and it was nice seeing how close they were.

I'm so very in love with Joanna Newsom. I saw her live during her Have One on Me tour having never heard her before and it was one of the most surreal experiences.

That whole album is like, Grand Budapest Hotel levels of melancholy. I don't have her new one yet though.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options

I'm so very in love with Joanna Newsom. I saw her live during her Have One on Me tour having never heard her before and it was one of the most surreal experiences.

That whole album is like, Grand Budapest Hotel levels of melancholy. I don't have her new one yet though.

Wow, nice! This was my first introduction to her, so I've been going through Divers repeatedly. It's really good. I also got her other albums, though, to dive into after I finish processing this one. I'm a big Kate Bush fan, so hearing her was a very welcome surprise.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    Opty wrote: »
    As we saw with Conan, someone taking over for someone else always leads to a ratings decline as the people comfortable with the old often don't want to bother with the new. I'd assume it was made worse due to how big the gap between Letterman leaving and Colbert beginning was. So far Colbert still feels a little stiff to me but little by little he's loosening up so I'm pretty confident he'll eventually reach his stride.

I think I'm coming to terms with the fact that most of the Late Show is interviews which is by far my least favorite part of any late show (even on the Colbert Report). I watch it on demand occasionally and as soon as he goes to an interview I turn it off.

PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    That's why I miss Craig Ferguson so much. The interviews were all unscripted. They'd just talk about... stuff. Then play a harmonica. Or pretend to smoke pipes. There wasn't any fakeness to it, nobody went on Late Late just to shill for a movie or their new album. They dicked around and threw frisbees at a pantomime horse.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    I have no doubt her job is tough but that Samantha Power interview was...a little bit awkward towards the end.

I mean, it certainly could've been much worse, and I'm certainly impressed by her ability to keep smiling through the whole affair. But it was still very awkward.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Drakeon wrote: »

I think I'm coming to terms with the fact that most of the Late Show is interviews which is by far my least favorite part of any late show (even on the Colbert Report). I watch it on demand occasionally and as soon as he goes to an interview I turn it off.

That's unfortunate. He sometimes does other bits after the first interview that are really good. Just last week he had an epic stunt show with Bruce Willis and performed a pseudo-Epic Rap Battle of History with the guy who created Hamilton. Even within interviews he occasionally does off-the-wall things like having Marion Cotillard saying mundane things in French just because it sounds sexier. His musical guests are usually fairly unique as well.

Do what I do: just DVR it (I usually hit the sack at 11:30 anyway) and speed through the parts that don't interest you. I will say that the "Big Questions for Even Bigger Stars" is a recurring bit that I wish would just curl up and die.

• Options
    scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    The big furry hat, however, is pretty awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwH04FeeVlQ

• Options
    scherbchen wrote: »
    The big furry hat, however, is pretty awesome

Yeah that bit is always solid. That particular clip just has the added awesomeness of John Cleese.

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    HAIL SNEAZAR!

• Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Drakeon wrote: »

That's unfortunate. He sometimes does other bits after the first interview that are really good. Just last week he had an epic stunt show with Bruce Willis and performed a pseudo-Epic Rap Battle of History with the guy who created Hamilton. Even within interviews he occasionally does off-the-wall things like having Marion Cotillard saying mundane things in French just because it sounds sexier. His musical guests are usually fairly unique as well.

Do what I do: just DVR it (I usually hit the sack at 11:30 anyway) and speed through the parts that don't interest you. I will say that the "Big Questions for Even Bigger Stars" is a recurring bit that I wish would just curl up and die.
    The existence of "Big questions" was, in my opinion, completely justified by Tom Hanks and Bryan Cranston. But yeah, the other times were pretty cringeworthy.

• Options
    I think Hanks's was tolerable because he didn't already have an interview beforehand; it actually took me a beat or two to even identify him since "Tom" is such a generic name. It might have also been the last one I listened to. I know I sat through ScarJo's, since that was the first, but I don't remember Cranston's and I definitely skipped JLaw's.

• Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    The stunt scene between Stephen and Bruce Willis was entertaining.

I'm a little bit surprised that the show isn't doing as well as it should be.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    RhinocerousRhinocerous Registered User regular
    Seems like Papa Bear holds a bit of a grudge.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    What uh happened.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RhinocerousRhinocerous Registered User regular
    Nothing crazy. O'Reilly went on the Late Show to promote some book and spent two segments aggressively talking down to Colbert and trying to make him look like a liberal hack. To Stephen's credit, he was ever-gracious while asking a couple of real questions about how Bill prioritizes things (which seemed to set him off even more when he didn't have a good answer). To me it came off as sour grapes.

• Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    I love how Stephen never took the bait of O'Reilly's snippy comments - he'd just make a quick self-deprecating comment and just keep going.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I wonder how they do the Cartoon Trump. I was assuming it was preanimated, but now I wonder if it is mocap. Not very advanced mocap, mind. But slightly more advanced than than the gimmicky stuff you get with a webcam.

• Options
    That is a good question. If it was preanimated I would hope the lip sync would be better, because clearly it gets away from them from time to time. But on the other hand, they have to whip that together in less time than the South Park guys so there has to be a ton of shortcuts either way.

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    I'd assume something like this;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV-bs5r1qpg
    Some sort of live mo-cap thing.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/lmPo0_WZyPU

Adobe character animator.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I think my favourite thing about the convention coverage has been the musical numbers.

The RNC had Christmas in July
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahChgL85VF8

And the DNC had Death. Taxes. Hillary.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXdn6yeAdPM

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Colbert must be running out of ladies to smooch with soon, right? How many more can there be?

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    His DNC Hungry For Power Games was hilarious. Started off kinda slow. But him trying to juke security staffers was just perfect.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    So, was DNC security on the lookout for Colbert after what he did in Cleveland, or was the RNC just that much of a cluster duck* that he was able to get to the podium?

*I'm leaving that autocorrect unchanged.

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    I hope we get more Andro before the swearing in.