As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PA Comic] Friday, April 11, 2014 - The Dungeon Mistress, Part Two

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited April 2014 in The Penny Arcade Hub

image[PA Comic] Friday, April 11, 2014 - The Dungeon Mistress, Part Two

The Dungeon Mistress, Part Two

The Dungeon Mistress, Part Two

http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2014/04/11

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Kitsy MirthKitsy Mirth Registered User new member
    "at least they didn't hit her in the knee"

• windomerewindomere Registered User new member
    You guys are using too much compression on your jpegs. The artifacting is fucking distracting.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    That'll put you off your ale and sausages, no kiddin'.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Did she quiver before falling?

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    windomere wrote: »
    You guys are using too much compression on your jpegs. The artifacting is fucking distracting.

Huh? what artifacting?

steam_sig.png
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular

Huh? what artifacting?

Looks fine to me. Except the murder part. Killing is very badong

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Kagera wrote: »

Huh? what artifacting?

Looks fine to me. Except the murder part. Killing is very badong

I agree. Unless we're talking about filthy Batarians.

Also, dis story arc gon' be a good one!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • AntonNULAntonNUL Registered User regular
    I agree with windomere, and the artifacts are very noticable even in "panel 2". Mike, output your stuff at JPEG quality 85 or 90, preferably as illustration-- oh right, he flattens the layers and then sends it to Photoshop (because Photoshop has amazing text features and MS does not).

Also, what's with the hands? It's like two fingers are always glued together this strip.

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular

Huh? what artifacting?

it's noticeable along the edges of every line

I don't know that the compression is actually greater than usual. It might be just that the compression is more noticeable when there are narrow areas of sharply different colours packed together, and it so happens that the focus of panels 2 and 3 include such areas.

aRkpc.gif
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    It's times like this that I am super-glad I don't care about fidelity.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    For a long time now (forever?) the compression has been pretty awful on the comics. This is even worse in cases where the comics have a limited set of colors and PNG would work just fine. That's not the case here, but still, the JPEG is pretty fucked up.

edited April 2014
    For a long time now (forever?) the compression has been pretty awful on the comics. This is even worse in cases where the comics have a limited set of colors and PNG would work just fine. That's not the case here, but still, the JPEG is pretty fucked up.

It was Bulwark. I only know because somebody pointed it out as such. I have to zoom in to around 250% to notice it, but it's technically true.

YoungFrey on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Hmm, I guess if I really zoom in I can see some jaggies on the lines but but that's a lot more level of detail than I really go into. I was thinking he was talking about like, the blotchy shading problems you get on poorly compressed movies/images.

steam_sig.png
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Heh. I've used this device before. Except that it was a character's girlfriend (d'oh!) and the baby was unrelated to the character (baby from another father, before they were dating). After solving the mystery of the baby and the mother's murder (there were some touching RP moments, like "I reach out, touch her cheek, then close her eyes with my fingertips."), the campaign ended up becoming "Three Men and a Baby", and was one of the more memorable campaigns we ran. How do you balance Shadowrunning and raising a child? (They had an elderly Troll nanny)

Also, reminds me of the Castle episode from Season 6 Ep. 10, "The Good, The Bad, and The Baby." Mysterious person dies in public place, baby in arms. Plot hook!

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    When did those arrows get there?

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    When did those arrows get there?

Eh. They're trick arrows. Part of the cloak. She's just exhausted.

I like how Bex's character appears to be wearing a wombat pendant. I wonder if that means she is a relative of Kara.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I declare Bex to be Kara's niece. It is now fanon. So let it be written, so let it be done.

• RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Heh. I've used this device before. Except that it was a character's girlfriend (d'oh!) and the baby was unrelated to the character (baby from another father, before they were dating). After solving the mystery of the baby and the mother's murder (there were some touching RP moments, like "I reach out, touch her cheek, then close her eyes with my fingertips."), the campaign ended up becoming "Three Men and a Baby", and was one of the more memorable campaigns we ran. How do you balance Shadowrunning and raising a child? (They had an elderly Troll nanny)

Also, reminds me of the Castle episode from Season 6 Ep. 10, "The Good, The Bad, and The Baby." Mysterious person dies in public place, baby in arms. Plot hook!

The best version of this device was the homestarrunner.com game Peasant's Quest. A lady with a baby has you retrieve "her" lost treasure, then shoves the baby in your arms and beats it. You now have the most useful item in the game, useful for things like getting pills from an old man and retrieving a soda from the bottom of the lake. After you throw the baby into the lake.

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    I like how Bex's character appears to be wearing a wombat pendant. I wonder if that means she is a relative of Kara.

That's probably a cat, considering her deity.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Cyn's reaction is the appropriate reaction.

• AntonNULAntonNUL Registered User regular
    Hey, look, Annarchy doesn't have a red nose nor red ears anymore.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Just picked up on the fact that the Barkeep can see the woman's back.. and is completely, 100% unphased and uncaring.

That's the story of a barkeep in D&D. Been there, done that, see you next week. It's where all the lawful good adventurers who A) survive and B) give away their worldly possessions go. I mean, it's either that, or become a planeswalker or something.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I think that pendant is probably a cat, not a wombat, given the character's backstory.

KalTorak wrote: »
    I think that pendant is probably a cat, not a wombat, given the character's backstory.

Why do you have to ruin my fantinuity with your cold hard logic and evidence?

• mogdemonmogdemon Kansas, USRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Just picked up on the fact that the Barkeep can see the woman's back.. and is completely, 100% unphased and uncaring.

That's the story of a barkeep in D&D. Been there, done that, see you next week. It's where all the lawful good adventurers who A) survive and B ) give away their worldly possessions go. I mean, it's either that, or become a planeswalker or something.
    Being that his eyes are cast down, I interpreted that panel as:

1. The barkeep was hum-drummingly wiping the table, so bored with his job that he doesn't even look up to greet customers who walk in the door anymore
    or
    2. The barkeep was hum-drummingly wiping the table, so bored with his job that he fell asleep while performing this mundane task for the 8,456th time.

apotheos wrote:
    You ever wonder exactly how many magic mushrooms the average japanese game studio design team consumes in a year?
    just got a 3ds! 3454-0598-2000