As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

If it's blue, it must be MEGA MAN(-esque)!

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    ??? What con job? Double Fine released both Broken Age and Massive Chalice...

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »

The "con" of collecting money for a second game before conveniently announcing you're having financial hiccups with the first game. Which is why I put it in quotes, because while it's not illegal or anything, many people were not happy about being deceived like that, and said they'd never have given Massive Chalice a dime if they knew what was going on. It's skivvy as shit, and nobody's going to fall for it again.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    ...Wait, what?

I really want to know why these places have delayed dates for MN9. Isn't production supposed to be done? Done enough for them to start pre-production on Red Ash, at least.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    At this point it's far more likely to be something on Deep Silver's end.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Considering people have played a fully playable build it has to be near done. The only thing that could delay it would be going back to change something.

• Options
    edited July 2015

The "con" of collecting money for a second game before conveniently announcing you're having financial hiccups with the first game. Which is why I put it in quotes, because while it's not illegal or anything, many people were not happy about being deceived like that, and said they'd never have given Massive Chalice a dime if they knew what was going on. It's skivvy as shit, and nobody's going to fall for it again.

But Double Fine has several teams. With their own budgets. It's not like one game stole funds from the other. This is how most game companies work.... In fact, Massive Chalice never asked for more money. I don't see why a development house not firing a bunch of staff because they don't have work for them is "skivvy."

Edit: And yeah, I don't see how MN9 could possibly be delayed at this point, baring some massive bug found in testing (which, worst case, maybe pushes it back a *little* but not much). I'm not going to worry about it until I hear more.

Edit 2: Mighty No. 9 not delayed:
    http://www.mightyno9.com/en/node/4143?page=0#comment-103320
    Hey guys! Just received word from Nick that it's a mistake. Looks like there was just some miscommunication, no need to worry. The release date is the same!

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options

But Double Fine has several teams. With their own budgets. It's not like one game stole funds from the other. This is how most game companies work.... In fact, Massive Chalice never asked for more money. I don't see why a development house not firing a bunch of staff because they don't have work for them is "skivvy."

Edit: And yeah, I don't see how MN9 could possibly be delayed at this point, baring some massive bug found in testing (which, worst case, maybe pushes it back a *little* but not much). I'm not going to worry about it until I hear more.

Edit 2: Mighty No. 9 not delayed:
    http://www.mightyno9.com/en/node/4143?page=0#comment-103320
    Hey guys! Just received word from Nick that it's a mistake. Looks like there was just some miscommunication, no need to worry. The release date is the same!

Now it's my turn to ??? you. What are you talking about? Stole funds?

This was the sequence of events:

-Double Fine creates Broken Age Kickstarter. Gets assload of money. Starts working on game.
    -After a while, creates Massive Chalice Kickstarter. Also get load of money.
    -Literally a week later, they come out and say "Yeah, all that money you gave us for Broken Age? Turns out this shit is really hard and we blew through it all. We'll uh... think of something to get more money (said something ended up being cutting the game in half and selling the first half).

People felt rightfully duped. Ain't nobody accusing them of using MC funds for BA. No, they're accusing them of intentionally withholding their financial problem until after the MC Kickstarter cleared, because otherwise people wouldn't have paid into MC if they knew about this. And rightfully so, people were pissed. Why would you give them money for a second game when they were having issues getting their first out?

People learned their lesson, and you can see it reflected in a lot of the criticism levied towards this Kickstarter. "Why should I fund this game when you haven't yet delivered on your first game and shown that you're actually worth it?".

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    What financial problem? They over scoped Broken Age and ran out of money. Massive Chalice was a completely different team within Double Fine, with a different project lead, who did not over scope. The two are 100% unrelated except for the company is Double Fine in both cases. I SERIOUSLY doubt anyone backing MN9 and potentially Red Ash was thinking about Double Fine when deciding.

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    It makes my heart glad that someone else started a Double Fine are a bunch of con men off topic tangent as that was a role I used to play many years ago. How the world has changed.

Glad to hear the delay wasn't anything big. I got up in the middle of the night and got a strange update and checked it out. It was weird that it was more than one retailer doing it...but I'm glad it is apparently nothing.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Your average person doesn't know nor cares about things such as different build teams or budgets or things like that. The only thing they see is Double Fine's name on both of them. Double Fine asked for money for a game. Then they asked for money for another game. Then right after that said they fucked up with the money for the first game. And people said "Oy! If you had said that first, I'd have never given you money for the second game!". And DF just shrugged their shoulders and didn't really deny it.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Your average person doesn't know nor cares about things such as different build teams or budgets or things like that. The only thing they see is Double Fine's name on both of them. Double Fine asked for money for a game. Then they asked for money for another game. Then right after that said they fucked up with the money for the first game. And people said "Oy! If you had said that first, I'd have never given you money for the second game!". And DF just shrugged their shoulders and didn't really deny it.

And then the people who backed Massive Chalice got their game in the agreed upon time frame and realized that whole "controversy" was made up bullshit? I'm pretty sure that's how the story ends.

• Options
    PS4 is the console for not MM Legends! So far the reaction has been mild. Might be some people cancelling pledges while other commit.

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Yeah like, whatever. Double Fine put out the first half early and then used profits and THEIR OWN MONEY to fund a longer second half.

In the end backers got what they paid for and they got a game that was twice as long as it was originally going to be at no extra charge. I never understood why anyone felt they were being duped.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    It also let kickstarters \ know that they should detail how they'll spend the money or assure backers that their funding is to ensure they get a publisher's greenlight

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    PS4 is the console for not MM Legends! So far the reaction has been mild. Might be some people cancelling pledges while other commit.

That actually did happen. After PS4 was announced, funding actually went down.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options

This is why I didn't pledge, I presumed it would be on there. But... isn't this irrelevant unless they hit $1M? Which they won't.

• Options
    Honestly they'll be lucky if they don't hit 800k. Then they don't have to make a game no one will be pleased with.

• Options
    Honestly they'll be lucky if they don't hit 800k. Then they don't have to make a game no one will be pleased with.

I HOPE they do make the game and eventually port it to stuff. I'm just not going to pre-fund it for a console I don't own.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    So they've actually been updating the anime one a lot. They increased the length of the initial goal (now 12 minutes instead of 5) and are now promising a blu-ray as well. Honestly, it's funny but that one is being run better than the actual game's kickstarter. It's a shame there isn't more interest - it's looking better with every update. I'm kind of hoping at least *that* is funded.

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    The Anime stuff reeks of Japanese people not understanding Westerners don't pay stupid high prices for DVDs in general let alone think 12 minutes of footage on a blu-ray is acceptable

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Hi guys I have some trouble deciding on which platform I want to redeem my code for this game be on, I have a PC, 3DS and Ps4
    What do you folks think?

• Options
    DarmaniDarmani Registered User regular
    Wanted to yak about Kickstarter, Red Ash, and what it all means.

Obviously appearance isn't reality but its a significant part in the reality of investment and funding.
    To use the Doublefine example, investing millions to go overbudget means you don't want to invest further with that group, even if that group has subgroups that need that investment and won't have the same financial manager.

This is basic human interaction stuff. Your currency is your rep.

Not that Inafune's name is mud but KS as a whole and Inafune, in this specific instance, might have overdrafted. KS are preorders from the customer side and even as a capital holder investing through KS is risky. Especially with its example, the Double Fine Adventure game, eventually Broken Age... well didn't do overall so well as a project and was uneven as a product.

Just as celebrity KS up the currency going in to KS as a whole the celebrity disappointments will reflect on the practice. Add in the timing, the doldrums, rapidly, and with no announced console and few if any products under their umbrella... to the consumers, this is not a thing to invest in yet. And the timing and proposal has made it 'now or never' That.. isn't helpful.

Adding in that its seven days from ending and I figured when I got my own paycheck I'd put in a little like with Yooka Laylee and now its 'why bother its going to fail. Worse this runs the risk of tanking the property's overall appeal in the future alal the open design shop's lack of support used to underline Legends 3 cancellation.

That said yeah, people are gunshy about this game but for damned good reasons, give us reasons not to be and be flexible about it too.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I tried to play Gunvolt recently...someone explain Gunvolt to me. There's like five bars on the screen, numbers everywhere, I can equip...things? Now there's J-pop playing and I'm Super Saiyan apparently? I just wanted to jump and shoot mans.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Yep, I'm officially calling this kickstarter over. They've lost the popular support that would be needed to get that extra 300k+ in the next week.

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    Darmani wrote: »
    Adding in that its seven days from ending and I figured when I got my own paycheck I'd put in a little like with Yooka Laylee and now its 'why bother its going to fail.

because there's no financial downside to you if it does fail?

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    dailypledges.png

Less than a week to go and it's just at 59 percent.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I tried to play Gunvolt recently...someone explain Gunvolt to me. There's like five bars on the screen, numbers everywhere, I can equip...things? Now there's J-pop playing and I'm Super Saiyan apparently? I just wanted to jump and shoot mans.

I'll assume you're aware of the most basic concepts in the game, so here's a few of the non-obvious things I had to go into the in-game manual to understand.

- Your gun doesn't shoot bullets. It shoots lightning rods. When you hit an enemy, they get a marker-- blue for one shot, yellow for two, red for three. Then you can do big damage to them with your Flashfield (the lightning storm you trigger with R). However, that drains your Electric Power (EP). If you run out, you have to wait until it completely recharges before you can attack again.
    - You can double-tap down at any time to instantly reload your Electric Power.
    - The counter at the top-left is called your Kudos. This is basically just a bonus scoring system. You get Kudos for causing damage with your Flashfield. If you touch a checkpoint or use an attack skill (the things you touch on the bottom screen), you cash in the Kudos for extra score. If you get hit (even if you block it with Prevasion), you lose all of your Kudos. Fortunately, if all you want is "just to jump and shoot mans", you don't need to care about that at all.
    - Speaking of "Prevasion", they tell you about it in the tutorial but you might have forgotten. Basically, if you get hit while your Flashfield isn't up, you dodge out of the way and take no damage.
    - Speaking of "Skills", those are controlled by your Skill Points, represented by three bars on the bottom. Each skill has an individual cooldown time, and a Skill Point cost (typically 1). So you can't use the same skill instantly, and you can't just continually use your Skills-- treat them like smart bombs for desperate situations.
    - Combining Prevasion with your anytime reload for your Electric Power means you can be invulnerable forever so long as you don't care about your score and don't attack.
    - That "Super Saiyan" thing is a randomized resurrection thing. Sometimes when you die your girlfriend's magic power brings you back. At that point you have infinite Electric Power and unlimited double-jumps and air dashes. It also completely tanks your ranking for the level.
    - Equipment is a pretty bog-standard crafting system. You give the equipment shop some vaguely-defined sci-fi crafting components and money, and they give you equipment. Lenses tend to give you stat bonuses, Rings tend to unlock secondary mobility abilities like double-jumps and air-dashes, and Pendants increase either your offensive or defensive powers.
    - You've also got an experience level, which only affects your maximum health and unlocks Skills over time.

I'm not sure what more needs explaining, so feel free to ask any follow-on questions that come to mind.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
  • Options
    Yeah, it's pretty much hopeless at this point. Baring a miracle anyways. Curious to see what he'll do. Maybe he should retry after Mighty No. 9 is released.

• Options
    Well that's unexpected...
    Hello everyone, we've got some huge (and I mean huge) news for you today. We gave you a sneak peek during one of our previous updates, but the mock-up that HYDE has been working on...

is now available for you to play!

This is sure to boost donations... Wondering if it's too late though.

• Options
    So, you can't actually play as any Red Ash characters in the demo...you just play as MN9 Beck. Wow.

This also marks I believe at least the third game where you can play as him before his actual game comes out. This is approaching Asagi levels.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    So, you can't actually play as any Red Ash characters in the demo...you just play as MN9 Beck. Wow.

This also marks I believe at least the third game where you can play as him before his actual game comes out. This is approaching Asagi levels.

Someone didn't look hard enough ;)

• Options
    I'm just going by the one news bit I spotted.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    I'm just going by the one news bit I spotted.

It's weird that you start out as MN9 Beck, but you can play as Red Ash Beck. You have to find him. You can also play as MN9 Call for some reason, and Red Ash Call is hidden in there. It's pretty simple but Beck actually animates pretty good for a prototype. I wish there was some combat though.

Edit: Paradox!
    pvoicttx49d6.png

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    At least they are trying. I mean sure, every time they try something they dig themselves a deeper hole, but I can respect them not giving up.

• Options
  • Options
    Looks like they're just going ahead anyway, full funding revealed

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    Looks like they're just going ahead anyway, full funding revealed

Announcement:
    Hello everyone!

We have some very important and happy news for you today!

It's official: “RED ASH: The KalKanon Incident” is a GO for full development, along with ports to PlayStation 4 AND Xbox One!

We know this is sudden news. Are you surprised? How have we decided to develop the game before the Kickstarter campaign finishes? Well, that’s thanks to the support of FUZE Entertainment, who we’ll introduce now.

FUZE Entertainment Co., Ltd. is a Chinese digital entertainment company engaged in production of console hardware as well as sales of console games.

FUZE is based around Chinese game industry pioneer Wang Feng, and was co-founded with partners Huawei, NVIDIA, and Microsoft Xbox.

FUZE has established partnerships with major console game publishers to bring AAA titles to the Chinese market, and have made it their mission to bring the highest quality game experiences to gamers around the world.

We said it before: we have been working very hard behind-the-scenes for RED ASH! Alongside our Kickstarter campaign, we’ve been in negotiations with hardware makers and development partners, keeping your feedback and comments in mind. We hoped by introducing the world setting, art documents, creators involved, our latest prototype, and more, we could convey the charm of RED ASH. And it seems like that work has paid off with FUZE Entertainment deciding to join your ranks as backers, in a major way!

What happens to RED ASH now?

(1)
    First off, the contribution of FUZE is a done deal. We can officially confirm that "The KalKanon Incident” will be developed to completion, with the initial goals for game content (8 hours), along with ports to BOTH PlayStation 4 and Xbox One!

(2)
    The rights to RED ASH will be retained by comcept. We're excited to find such a great partner in FUZE who believes in our vision in its pure form. In addition, comcept will retain rights to creative discretion and decisions in game development.

What happens to Kickstarter?

The Kickstarter campaign is going 100% towards more content! Consider your pledge a contribution to stretch goals from here on out.

Exactly what are those stretch goals? We're sorry to say that will have to wait a little while longer! Like we said, we're very busy with many behind-the-scenes things over here, and we apologize if you feel left in the dark. As you can see, the things we have brewing that are keeping us occupied are BIG, and all for the purpose of getting you RED ASH in its biggest, bestest form. That's the reason we're less communicative than we'd like to be!

We know we’re in the final days of our campaign, but we’d like to ask fans to continue their support of RED ASH! Your money is going towards 100% content now, so please look forward to the revised "stretch goals"!

That wraps up the announcement!

Finally, we’d like to say, today’s announcement was made possible by everyone’s voices supporting RED ASH on Twitter, blogs, and other places. We’d like to thank our backers from the bottom of our hearts. We see all the work you're doing, pounding the pavement to get the word out, and we're overwhelmed by the support. We know the tide is against us, and it's you all that have kept us afloat. We're also beyond the ability to express our gratitude to HYDE for creating such amazing 3D models and a prototype in such a short time. We’re looking forward to working together more!

That’s all for today’s update.

Though... can they do that? I thought you were required to give kickstarter money back if not funded?

• Options
    it doesn't charge if it doesn't complete

i guess they could complete it themselves

CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    it doesn't charge if it doesn't complete

i guess they could complete it themselves

They should've just not even bothered with the Kickstarter.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA