As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sid Meier's: Civilization Beyond Earth

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Priest wrote: »
    TL,DR: One of the few things I love more than Civilization is Spaceflight.

Yeah, but it is literally the end of the world!
    That write up was actually pretty cool.

We've been over this. When the world is about to end, you go to Area 51, bootstrap some titanium plating to a derelict Alien Spacecraft, and fly it to the mothership to upload your crappy C code and 8 bit Skull animation.

What are you guys not getting about my plan!

Pfft. I bet he didn't even comment his code.

// Welcome to erf?

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    PriestPriest Registered User regular

Also, thanks. As a child, having an Uncle who was a devout Moon-Landing-Denier had the undesirable (for him) effect of making his nephew a disciple of the Scientific Method, Engineering Process, and Not-Being-Tits-On-A-Velociraptor-Crazy Method.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular

We've been over this. When the world is about to end, you go to Area 51, bootstrap some titanium plating to a derelict Alien Spacecraft, and fly it to the mothership to upload your crappy C code and 8 bit Skull animation.

What are you guys not getting about my plan!

Pfft. I bet he didn't even comment his code.

Which is gonna real bite us in the ass the next time this happens and someone needs to update that virus to win the next invasion and what the fuck is this variable supposed to be!? Foo13? Really!?!

• Options
    Followed by Brent Spiner telling you how exciting the last 24 hours have been.

Gah, time to go to class.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 2014

@Priest, I bow to your superiority rocketry and master of rocketry.

With only one minor caveat to add: when you say "SRBs"--solid rocket boosters (I'm assuming), and the dangers/concerns with them, notwithstanding, the Soyuz program doesn't use solid rocket fuel. In fact, no Russian manned launch vehicles do (nor any Soviet manned vehicles...I'm searching my brain for an exception, and even going back to the first R-7s, I can't find one). Because, along with the obstacles you already mentioned, the Soviets thought that they posed an unreasonable risk to a launch crew using a motor they couldn't easily shut down or throttle, or the ground crew having to handle the substances that were more dangerous in return for the benefit of longer storage. Ironic maybe, given the popular western image of cavalier Soviet attitudes towards space travel, but there you go. No SRBs are one contributing reason to the Soyuz program's applauded safety record, and even the Soviet's own space shuttle, the Buran, didn't use solid rocket motors the lone time it flew, instead carried as a payload on the all-liquid fuel Energia (a pair of notable differences between it and the STS).

EDIT: Unless that's not what you meant, Priest, in which case, I plead my own ignorance.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    johnwingjohnwing Registered User regular
    The designers of CIV:BE is currently doing a Ask me anything thread on reddit. It is only a hour old so you might be able to ask some questions and get them answered.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/civbeyondearth/comments/2jwiuy/were_the_designers_of_civilization_beyond_earth/

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I asked the hotseat multplayer question. Will let you all know if I get an answer

edit: nope they're gone. No answers about multiplayer

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    I asked the hotseat multplayer question. Will let you all know if I get an answer

I saw multiple questions/answers about MP, and at least one about hotseat?

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    Bullhead wrote: »

I saw multiple questions/answers about MP, and at least one about hotseat?

We know that

A: AI in mutiplyer is fully featured

B: Hotseat exists

C: max 8 players in MP

We don't know about how hotseat or pbem or multiplayer games in general actually work

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Last chance sale on BE, 25% off at GMG. Log in, go to VIP section. Collect reward

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    It's a good thing they put marketing in charge of the launch and not engineering...

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    Finally bit the bullet and pre-ordered. GMG gave me my code instantly, if anyone was worried about not getting a key until after the game comes out.

I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Yep, got my key from GMG today.

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    The entire idea behind Space Engineering is that you are beholden to safety factors. Why then, would you deliberately compromise that safety while incurring unnecessary, extra cost that places your entire mission at risk for no other reason than "oh hey, cool, we launched 6 at one time."
    Isn't that reason enough?
    I mean, sure, launching one rocket at a time while the other ones sit safely to the side is far more logical, but it doesn't look nearly as sweet as a dozen rockets launching at the same time from the same place.

Just to throw my thoughts in on this cool (and well informed!) rant thing: What if, because they have SO many people to get into orbit, they are launching a total number of rockets we would think is insane. Something like 60+ and need to get them all launched within say 5 days? Remember this is like "The Big Project" and they are sending hundreds of thousands (right?) into orbit to dock with a huge colony ship. Maybe it's just THAT massive of a scale of an operation. Running 6 pads makes much more sense then. Still doesn't address the safety issues you mentioned though. What if they launched them in delayed sequence, about an hour apart, would that allow enough time for the water vapor trails to disperse? (which doesn't look cool for an into but might make more sense) They could be prepping and loading empty pads 24/7 as the others launch.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Or guys

Maybe its

A symbol

like maybe the things that are shown are nonliteral representations

And the large number of simultaneous rockets is actually just representing humanity as a whole taking to the skies in a grand project

because, you know, that's exactly what you want to be communicating here and would be impossible visually just by showing a single rocket launch

EDIT: I can hardly believe I'm standing on this side of the conversation, I'm an engineer myself

Terrendos on
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    You could easily show 6+ launch's in a montage.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    They already did that in the announcement trailer though

• Options
    Maybe they'd shooting enough rockets up that the earths habitability will be destroyed by the exhaust so you've got to do it all at once.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Maybe they'd shooting enough rockets up that the earths habitability will be destroyed by the exhaust so you've got to do it all at once.

What, like a mass launch with Project Orion ships? That'd be a cool apocalypse.

ETA: Would also explain why other civilizations aren't happy you just got Science Victory.

Mirkel on
  • Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    The science victory should have a video with all of your cities taking off Laputa-style and heading for the nearest star.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    They should patch that in on the 24th.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    @Synthesis : Thanks for the correction - I never knew that! (Never paid enough attention to the Russian program other than knowing the names of the early people). That's something I want to read up on, I'd be fascinated to know what chemical mixture they use for their boosters!

Additionally, another dawn, another day in the winter of our discontent.:

Trigger warning.
    image.png.

Priest on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    On the one hand, I work from 12 to 8, so I could stay up an hour or two and play on Thursday night. On the other hand, ahahaha the first play session of a new Civ being an hour or two, I would get 4 hours of sleep and be dead to the world when I got off Metro.

• Options
    Just ask your boss if he plays civ. if he does you're in the clear for a three day weekend.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    @Synthesis : Thanks for the correction - I never knew that! (Never paid enough attention to the Russian program other than knowing the names of the early people). That's something I want to read up on, I'd be fascinated to know what chemical mixture they use for their boosters!

Additionally, another dawn, another day in the winter of our discontent.:

Trigger warning.
    image.png.

I can answer that one...Energia's strap-on liquid boosters (four of them, for sixteen RD-170 engines total) all used old-fashion kerosene/liquid oxygen mix, while the center stage used four RD-0120 engines (liquid hydrogen and oxygen, like the STS--they were similar in size and power too, I think). Viola!

Unsurprisingly, Buran's a fascinating topic to me (even if it only flew once!) , and feel free to PM me if you want to chew the fat over it. Otherwise, here's a great shot of the locomotive-powered mobile launcher that would carry the Energia (in the horizontal position) to the launch platform, with or without the shuttle itself (which only had maneuvering engines).

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Raslin wrote: »
    Finally bit the bullet and pre-ordered. GMG gave me my code instantly, if anyone was worried about not getting a key until after the game comes out.

Got my key already as well, for those who might be hesitant due to previous reports of people not getting their keys on launch.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Every time I reload steam, the downloads page brings up the fact that Beyond Earth is preloaded.

They're just taunting me at this point.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I think I'm going to have to hold off on buying this for technical reasons. Also financial reasons. GRE is fucking expensive. I can wait two more months, right?

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Well, pre-loaded.

Now I wait.

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Will this game have the same kind of mod support that Civ5 has? I hope so, I can imagine all kinds of cool stuff!

For one, I want a mod to add Weyland Yutani as a sponsor. It would have a large bonus to research at the cost of 90% of your colonist's lives.

DarkMecha on
    Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    wiltingwilting I had fun once and it was awful Registered User regular
    They said in the Reddit AMA that there would be mod support/tools down the line.

I assume there will be an Alpha Centauri mod!

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Yeah, they're already testing mod deployments on the workshop.

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    DarkMecha wrote: »
    Will this game have the same kind of mod support that Civ5 has? I hope so, I can imagine all kinds of cool stuff!

For one, I want a mod to add Weyland Yutani as a sponsor. It would have a large bonus to research at the cost of 90% of your colonist's lives.
    -90% growth rate sounds pretty unplayable, to be honest.

Maybe just give them some method for converting excess health to research? Or give research bonuses while health is in the red.

We'll have to wait and see how flexible the modding support will be for BE. I know that people have done some pretty crazy things with Civ V, so hopefully we'll see some really cool things for Beyond Earth as well.

• Options
    dasnoobdasnoob ArkansasRegistered User regular
    So many things later this week in the way of me playing.

Friday we have my 2nd graders fall festival, Saturday we have a Halloween festival around the county courthouse. Between those things, chores, and me and my wife's alone time to watch tv after the kids go to bed I'm not sure I'll get to play much.

• Options
    hype hype hype hype hype hype hype hype hype hype hype hype hype hype

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

Also, thanks. As a child, having an Uncle who was a devout Moon-Landing-Denier had the undesirable (for him) effect of making his nephew a disciple of the Scientific Method, Engineering Process, and Not-Being-Tits-On-A-Velociraptor-Crazy Method.
    Go on....

Anyway, if rocketry is something you think is cool, you'll probably dig this article
    http://arstechnica.com/science/2013/04/how-nasa-brought-the-monstrous-f-1-moon-rocket-back-to-life/
    I'm pretty sure this is like, the 3rd time I've linked it in a thread on these forums, so apologies if you've seen it before. Just stuff like this is I always think is really cool
    In addition, the city of Huntsville has grown up considerably since the Apollo era; lighting off an engine the size of an F-1 at Marshall today would likely blow out every window in the entire city.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    dasnoobdasnoob ArkansasRegistered User regular

In addition, the city of Huntsville has grown up considerably since the Apollo era; lighting off an engine the size of an F-1 at Marshall today would likely blow out every window in the entire city.

Grumpy_Cat_Good.jpg

• Options
    Neveron wrote: »
    DarkMecha wrote: »

-90% growth rate sounds pretty unplayable, to be honest.

Maybe just give them some method for converting excess health to research? Or give research bonuses while health is in the red.

We'll have to wait and see how flexible the modding support will be for BE. I know that people have done some pretty crazy things with Civ V, so hopefully we'll see some really cool things for Beyond Earth as well.

Whenever a city/colony loses a population to means other than player action Weyland Yutani gets a tech boost. So at the start Weyland wants to have thriving colonies. But then they alternate between producing food and starving in order to generate late game tech boosts. They might lure aliens to attack their colonies in order to generate colony damage and so tech boosts.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Also they gain tech whenever they lose a military unit to the native fauna.

• Options
    Bobble wrote: »
    Also they gain tech whenever they lose a military unit to the native fauna.

Potentially, but it would have to be small and would end up pretty pointless. If its a tech boost its too easy to buy future techs by producing units and slaughtering them. If its strength based then you're almost assuredly going to get more science/turn out of just producing science like a research production.

This is why the population mechanic is better imo. With population you have to balance the size/productivity of your colonies. Colonies that are too large will not be able to stabalize in food(because you want to grow a person then starve them for the boost, and doing so means you want your total population to be low to make it faster to grow a pop so you can starve them) and nor will they starve particularly fast (because the food requirement for a civilian increases relative to your civilians food consumption even at full negative food it takes longer to starve when your pop is higher if you're trying to starve)

I would think that you would need a limiter on which cities you can do it in, so you can't just make super small expansions lategame and 2 pop starve them

wbBv3fj.png