As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Image-Verse

BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
edited August 2007 in Graphic Violence
I've been reading Invincible for a while, but with all of the frequent cameos by other Image superheroes I decided to track the ones down and read some stories about them. I found out that quite a few of Image's titles in the last few years are connected and are part of one universe, so I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread about this new fledgling universe.

The Characters
Invincible
invincible.JPG
Wikipedia wrote:
Mark Grayson is a teenage superhero who calls himself Invincible. He was a normal high school senior with a normal part-time job and otherwise normal life, except his father Nolan is the superhero Omni-Man, the most powerful superhero on the planet. At the age of 17, Mark begins to display superpowers, which come from his father being a member of the Viltrumite race, who, according to Nolan, pioneer the galaxy on a mission of benevolence and enlightenment. As Invincible, Mark begins working as a superhero, with his father acting as his mentor, and meeting other heroes. Mark worked occasionally with a superhero team called the Teen Team, where he met and flirted with heroine Atom Eve, who eventually quits superhero work.
Superpatriot
396px-Superpatriot.jpg
Wikipedia wrote:
Superpatriot was once Johnny Armstrong, a soldier in World War II. Captured by the Germans, Armstrong was used as a guinea pig for scientific experiments and gained superhuman powers. He destroyed the base at which he was being kept so the Nazis could not replicate the process on their troops and donned a American flag-styled costume to become Superpatriot. Superpatriot later joined the superhero group called the Allies, working with such figures as Supreme and Mighty Man, and protected the innocent for many decades.

However, in the 1990s, Superpatriot was faced with more brutal and intense supervillains than ever before and began to have difficulty dealing with them. Eventually, he was overpowered by members of the Vicious Circle, a group of supervillains organized by Chicago crime-boss Overlord. Superpatriot was savagely attacked by his foes, with the shark-man Mako biting off his limbs and much of his face. Left for dead, Superpatriot's body was taken by Cyberdata, a corporation of subversive scientists, and transformed into a powerful cyborg.
Brit
h1953.jpg
Amazon wrote:
Meet the government's last line of defense when it comes to the really messy parts of keeping the world safe... Brit. When super-powered menaces threaten our home soil, send in Brit, a one man killing machine. Indestructible, unstoppable and eligible for a senior citizen's discount.
Savage Dragon
391px-SD_76.jpg
Wikipedia wrote:
The Dragon is a large, super-strong, finned, green-skinned humanoid. He is an amnesiac; his earliest memory is awakening in a burning field in Chicago. Thus, for most of the series, his powers and appearance were a mystery to readers. At the beginning of the series, he became a police officer and battled the mutant criminal "superfreaks"—principally the Vicious Circle—that were terrorizing Chicago.
Firebreather
firebreather1.jpg
Wikipedia wrote:
High teen Duncan Rosenblatt is the son of divorced parents -- a typical suburban soccer mom who wants him to get into a good college and a 300-foot firebreathing dragon who wants him to follow in the family business--conquering the Earth and inheriting the throne of King of Monsters; they share custody. Like every other teenager, he struggles to fit in with his peers. His being half-dragon further complicates matters. Duncan is completely resigned to his outcast status and has really stopped caring all that much. His awkward family arrangement forces him and his mother to move a lot.
Noble Causes
388px-NC3bcvr.jpg
Wikipedia wrote:
Noble Causes is a comic book series created and written by Jay Faerber, illustrated by a variety of artists (the current artist being Yildiray Cinar) and published by Image Comics. Often described as "a super-hero soap opera", the series follows the lives of the Nobles, a wealthy superhero family. The stories focus less on the Nobles fighting supervillains and more on their personal lives. Originally intended to be an ongoing title, it was downgraded into a series of miniseries and one-shots. It finally became an ongoing title in 2004.
Shadowhawk
SH14cvrFINAL.jpg
Wikipedia wrote:
Having just moved to New York with his recently (one year) widowed father, James Collins, an electrician, Eddie a young high school student was walking down a street when the helmet literally fell into his hands. The helmet called Nommo contains the spirits of all people who were, at one time, inhabited by ShadowHawk, the Spirit of Justice. Eddie Collins tried to meditate with the Nommo on, meeting the spirit of Paul Johnstone, who tells Eddie that he is a reincarnation of a first dynasty Egyptian shaman, how he was the last ShadowHawk and that Eddie is destined to start anew.
Capes
Well....There's not much to Capes, they are a corporate superhero group, with pay and health insurance. They make frequent cameos in Invincible and made a few in Brit. They are currently back-up stories in the Monthlies of Invincible.
Tech Jacket
1582403147.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
Seeing as there is no Wiki article for me to rip from, I don't know much about Tech Jacket. It's a manga, the main character(Zack Thompson) was given alien power armor, and he made a cameo in a huge battle in Invincible. Yep, that's all I know.

Possible Upcoming Titles
The Astounding Wolf-Man
Wolf-Man_01_cover_250w.jpg
Robert Kirkman, the fan-favorite writer of THE WALKING DEAD, INVINCIBLE, ULTIMATE X-MEN and MARVEL ZOMBIES, is teaming up with rising star artist Jason Howard for an all-new Image series, and everyone involved is so sure you'll be hooked, they're giving you the first issue on Free Comic Book Day!

THE ASTOUNDING WOLF-MAN tells the story of workaholic CEO Gary Hampton, who is bitten by a werewolf while on a rare family vacation. Cursed to live out his nights as a werewolf, Gary seeks to find a positive purpose in his horrific new existence. But can a werewolf be a hero? THE ASTOUNDING WOLF-MAN is about one man's struggle to do good when his body is designed for evil.

Well there you have it, discuss away.

UPDATE: 24301128936.jpg
Yes, that is Brit fighting a Tyrannosaurus. Yes that is an announcment of a ongoing. Yes this is a month old, so sue me.

SIG.gif
Blankspace on

• Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    How was the Superpatriot mini by Kirkman? I kind of regret not picking it up after seeing how he wrote him in a few cameos for Invincible.

Munch on
  • Options
    The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I have a soft spot for werewolves, especially those that fight vampires. Here's hoping it'll be a great series.

And on invincible
    Can't wait to read the fight with the martians

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited April 2007
    I think Noble Causes just had a kind of spin-off called Dynamo 5, but I'm not sure if it's started yet. I saw it in one of those Comic Shop News things.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Munch wrote: »
    How was the Superpatriot mini by Kirkman? I kind of regret not picking it up after seeing how he wrote him in a few cameos for Invincible.

It was nothing special, just an all american ass kicker who fights modern day nazis and cheap hydra knock offs.

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm curious about Invincible. Is it worth picking up?

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Zeromus wrote: »

Go buy the first hardcover.

You won't regret it.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Yes.

Also,
    Munch wrote:
    I really liked it, while he was a bit of the cliche ass-kicker, his supporting cast was awesome and the ending is fan-fucking-tastic.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Geebs wrote: »
    I think Noble Causes just had a kind of spin-off called Dynamo 5, but I'm not sure if it's started yet. I saw it in one of those Comic Shop News things.

Yeah, it's already started.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited April 2007
    I thought so.

On the topic of Invincible, I've decided to just wait for the Ultimate Collections to be released. I picked up maybe six or seven singles, but I realized that I'd pick up the hardcovers anyway, so I decided not to pay for them twice.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Yes

Its very, very good

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Yes. Probably one of the greatest superhero comics produced in recent memory. It's got beautiful art throughout, a protagonist that you end up loving by the second trade, one of the best supporting casts I've ever seen (Rex Splode represent!), and it deftly juggles a dozen plots at any given time, so you never feel like you're just reading filler. Pick up the first hardcover or first two trades and I guarantee you'll be hooked, assuming you enjoy superhero books at all.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I still associate Image with Youngblood and Spawn since those were the publisher's flagship titles when I first heard of them, even though it's been years since that was the case. Are books like Invincible and Walking Dead more representative of the quality of Image's books than the former examples, or is the inclusion of things like Shadowhawk more for the sake of completion than testament to the quality of writing?

If it's the latter, then Bomb Queen and Spawn are probably worth a mention.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I still associate Image with Youngblood and Spawn since those were the publisher's flagship titles when I first heard of them, even though it's been years since that was the case. Are books like Invincible and Walking Dead more representative of the quality of Image's books than the former examples, or is the inclusion of things like Shadowhawk more for the sake of completion than testament to the quality of writing?

If it's the latter, then Bomb Queen and Spawn are probably worth a mention.
    Image is actually very good right now, between the character-titles such as The Walking Dead and Fear Agent to the new Superhero line with Invincible et al. it's a very consistent publisher.

I put Shadowhawk in because he's been in Invincible and Savage Dragon, he doesn't have any series that are currently being published. Spawn and Bomb Queen (Spawn may or may not be part of it) and the mnay other less-than-stellar Image titles aren't part of the main Image-verse.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    It actually seems like Bomb Queen is part of the Image-Verse, since Wiki says she's gonna end up fighting Shadowhawk's girlfriend.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited April 2007
    Does anyone here buy/read Shadowhawk? I've never understood how the character has managed to cling to life. Even during the early Image days when people were buying every stupid series they put out, I didn't know anyone who liked Shadowhawk.

DMAC on
  • Options
    Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm not really attached to the idea of an "Imageverse" because the last two or three issues of Mike Allred's The Atomics were a crossover with Savage Dragon. Then the series ended because Allred was offered X-Force, and he hasn't gone back to it yet, so the ending is still the Savage Dragon crossover.

I really don't think there's anything wrong with the books being separated! It's not like we really need another mega-universe.

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    DMAC wrote: »
    Does anyone here buy/read Shadowhawk? I've never understood how the character has managed to cling to life. Even during the early Image days when people were buying every stupid series they put out, I didn't know anyone who liked Shadowhawk.

Isn't he Jim Valentino's pet creation? Since he's a big time muckity muck at Image he can probably trot out a new mini or ongoing pretty much whenever he feels like it I imagine.

Munch on
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Invincible is rad, Firebreather sounds interesting but I had never heard of it before now.

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    DoctorErebusDoctorErebus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    A universe composed of character-owned properties makes for some fascinating and volatile possibilities. One of my favorite aspects of Infinite Crisis was the cosmic explanations for the real-world acquisitions DC made. I wonder if we'll ever see something similar for Image in the years to come - story explanations for why whole chunks of the universe have either ceased to be, or branched off on their own. How does the mythos explain the sudden disappearance of all Rob Liefeld's characters, or those published by Wildstorm? Have any stories addressed this sort of thing?

Oh, and The Savage Dragon rocks. Issue #7 was the first I'd seen it, first I'd even heard of it. I couldn't believe the Spider-Man guy put out this wild, all splash page slug-fest. Been a fan ever since.

DoctorErebus on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'll admit it. I enjoy reading Bomb Queen.

Wiki_bomb.jpg

Seriously M-rated. So much fun too.

Scooter on
  • Options
    LRGLRG Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Bomb Queen is fun, I don't care what anyone says.

The Image world tour coming up in Savage Dragon is gonna kick so much ass. Apperances/team-ups/fights by Madman, Invincible, Godland, Bomb Queen, and myabe Spawn and Witchblade- all drawn by Erik Larsen. I want it now.

By the way, Tech Jacket isn't a manga, Kirkman wrote it.

LRG on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    LRG wrote: »
    Bomb Queen is fun, I don't care what anyone says.

The Image world tour coming up in Savage Dragon is gonna kick so much ass. Apperances/team-ups/fights by Madman, Invincible, Godland, Bomb Queen, and myabe Spawn and Witchblade- all drawn by Erik Larsen. I want it now.

By the way, Tech Jacket isn't a manga, Kirkman wrote it.
    I know he did, however it has an extremely manga art-style and I classify manga more by art than writing.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    LRGLRG Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Huh. When I hear "Manga", I figure it's from Japan, not that it just has a style.

LRG on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Would you call something Manga if it came from Japan, but looked completely western/American? Nah, it's definitly a style.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Scooter wrote: »
    Would you call something Manga if it came from Japan, but looked completely western/American? Nah, it's definitly a style.

Actually, I would. There's more to a book than how it looks.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I would call all comics manga

if I was speaking Japanese

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Do the Japanese refer to American titles as manga, comics, American manga, or what?

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    probably

"america no manga"

or just manga

Since it is their word for comics

crap I gotta reinstall Japanese language thingy on my computer

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Okay Sars Boy I have to ask, what's up with your avatar and sig? It looks like Impulse in greytone and a business suit. What's the deal?

Munch on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Third time I've been asked that today

what's with that?

It's from a short story out of the Young Justice 80 page giant.

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Ah, thanks. My YJ run is missing several sizeable chunks out of it, so I was all, "Whazzahuh?"

Oh, right, Image-verse. How are those big phonebook editions of Savage Dragon in blank and white? I've been wanting to start reading SD, but I'm not sure if I should go with the colored versions or the B&W.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    It lives!

Updated OP with the new of a Brit ongoing...lemme see if I can find scans of the preview anywhere.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    rchourchou Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Can someone give me more info on Brit? There doesn't seem to be a wiki page on him.

rchou on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    he's an old guy whose only superpower is that he is completely and totally indestructible. he can't fly, he's not particularly strong, no heat vision, just no matter how hard you hit him you'll only hurt your hand. he government sends him in to situations as a last resort, like when a regular superpower was going nuts in a mall killing civilians, and brit just let the dude pound on him for like three days until the super was worn the hell out and fell out of the air. brit just reached over and broke his neck with regular human strength.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Bomb Queen might be the worst comic I have ever read. It has absolutely no redeeming factors whatsoever. It is universally terrible. I think it might even be able to give people eye-cancer. Anybody who enjoys it must clearly be insane, stupid, a masochist, or some combination of these three.

That said, I enjoy Invincible very much, though I find that I would enjoy the storylines more by just reading through them in large sections. It loses a lot by being cut up into different issues because all of the cliffhanger endings that come from the fact that it's just constantly going and going and going and not stopping or slowing down get really, really frustrating.

But other than that it's fairly terrific.

As opposed to Bomb Queen.

Which sucks.

Astronomically.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    TylerXKJTylerXKJ __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    You're just jealous. :P

TylerXKJ on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    rchou wrote: »
    Can someone give me more info on Brit? There doesn't seem to be a wiki page on him.

Quoting myself from the Invincible thread.
    Munch wrote: »
    Anyone who enjoys Invincible needs to check out Brit as well. It's about an aging superhuman who works for the government. His only power is being completely and totally immune to harm, forcing him to come up with creative solutions when it comes to defeating world-shattering threats. It also has a good bit of crossover with Invincible, as it introduces Cecil, Donald, and explains the conclusion of a giant alien brawl over in Invincible. It's written by Kirkman and pencilled by Tony Moore (Walking Dead) and Cliff Rathburn, who did the Green Ghost/Martian Man segments of the Guardians of the Globe issue of Invincible. It's filled with balls to the wall ultraviolence and snappy writing, much like the Ottley issues of Invincible.

You can read a rather large chunk of Brit here at Newsarma and you can purchase the trade here at Amazon.

Munch on
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    TylerXKJ wrote: »

No, I'm offended.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    TylerXKJTylerXKJ __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Spectre-x wrote: »
    TylerXKJ wrote: »

No, I'm offended.

Keep telling yourself that. You know you love Bomb Queen. ;-)

TylerXKJ on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Man, Bomb Queen is terrible.

I mean, yeah. Cheesecake. We get it.

But there are much better cheesecake comics out there.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif