As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Eric Pope and Dave Lang Thread Featuring Giant Bomb Dot Com

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    well, technically, a scythe isn't actually a weapon

it's a farming tool

• Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    I was a little embarrassed when I saw a Llama and a Camel at the same place at the same time and realized a camel is like a bajillion times bigger. I always had this weird notion in my head that they were roughly equal

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Scythes seem ineffective until a very angry conscripted farmer puts one into your chest, I bet.

Anzekay on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    scythes are the most impractical weapons but they look totally slick so I guess it's okay

Apparently Paulus Hector Mair wrote a Fechtbücher that contained scythe techniques. However it seems to be more listed as a novelty than anything else. When peasants went to war they would sensibly modify their scythes so the blades were in line with the shaft, basically making it a large spear, which is actually a practical weapon.

• Options
    Oh my god.
    800px-Mair_scythe_03.jpg

THOSE PANTS

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    only way that could be better if is one of them was wearing high heels

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Oh my god.
    800px-Mair_scythe_03.jpg

THOSE PANTS

I love Dark Souls fan art.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    only way that could be better if is one of them was wearing high heels

Greek fire propelled heels

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Now we know where Final Fantasy characters get their wardrobe advice from.

• Options
    ArkayArkay Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Not enough belts and zippers for that

Arkay on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    scythes are the most impractical weapons but they look totally slick so I guess it's okay

Apparently Paulus Hector Mair wrote a Fechtbücher that contained scythe techniques. However it seems to be more listed as a novelty than anything else. When peasants went to war they would sensibly modify their scythes so the blades were in line with the shaft, basically making it a large spear, which is actually a practical weapon.

I've always loved the tying a knife on a stick gambit

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    So I suck at shooting games now or something.

I cannot keep up in them.

• Options
    A long thing with a pointy bit at the end is basically the king of weapons, especially if we are talking about groups of people fighting one another. But even one on one, a makeshift spear is one of the better weapons you can have in your hands.

We like to give our heroes swords because, let's face it, swords are cool, but, a spear will serve you better most of the time. As a handgun is to a rifle, a sword is to a spear, it's nice that you can take it with you anywhere, and heck, you don't even need any hands to carry it, but, it's not a workhorse weapon.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    Kilroy wrote: »
    just sent my first email to the bombcast

I hope they read it
    I sent one Wednesday that had some Midwest beef in it.

Yeah FUCK Michigan

• Options
    Ah how about Pilum and Gladius?

• Options
    tumblr_n4cr5m1zOm1r148nlo1_500.jpg
    Good job emerald city

I will say I have it, and its weird, where a dude will ask someone whos cosplaying for a picture and they say no. Like I get that maybe your busy or are creeped out by that person, but isn't the whole point of spending hours and hours making a costume/doing makeup/hair that you want people to appreciate it?

But yeah. Don't go like touching asses or anything and don't be a creep

• Options

Pilum were sometimes employed as spears, to my knowledge.

I will admit that the Romans do sort of stick out as the odd duck in this regard, not sure why. Just about everyone else used spears/pikes/etc as their mainstays. This bears more looking into.

• Options
    Don't be creepin

• Options

Pilum were sometimes employed as spears, to my knowledge.

I will admit that the Romans do sort of stick out as the odd duck in this regard, not sure why. Just about everyone else used spears/pikes/etc as their mainstays. This bears more looking into.

The Manipular system eventually wrecked Greece's shit, they were still using the phalanx and the Romans had far more flexibility. Allowing wider defense against flanking attacks as well as the ability to better utilize them against their phalanx employing foes.

Like you don't wanna be in a phalanx that gets enveloped.

• Options
    At GenCon they have a cosplay ball every year. You have to buy a ticket and wear a costume to get in. Every year they have to tighten the restrictions on what costitutes a costume because dudes will like, wear a hat they bought to try and get it (Theres a lot of female cosplayers) it doesn't help that 2 years ago the Cosplay Deviants where at the show, and encourged fans to come to the ball and dance with them.

Basically, what I'm saying is, as a nerd, my culture is being destroyed by dongs

• Options
    I always thought a Pilum was a shitty spear

• Options
    Like the Romans at the battle of Cannae!

Hannibal's mutant power was strategy though.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    tumblr_n4cr5m1zOm1r148nlo1_500.jpg
    Good job emerald city

I will say I have it, and its weird, where a dude will ask someone whos cosplaying for a picture and they say no. Like I get that maybe your busy or are creeped out by that person, but isn't the whole point of spending hours and hours making a costume/doing makeup/hair that you want people to appreciate it?

But yeah. Don't go like touching asses or anything and don't be a creep

Appreciating can be done without photos (as in respectfully complimenting the costume). And even then, like the sign says, some people like dressing up as that character and that's it, that doesn't come with a requirement for validation.

• Options
    edited April 2014

From what I understand they used mostly short stabbing swords and tall shields, before moving forward they would throw their pilum to do some damage and hopefully confuse or unnerve the enemy, their main advantage against contemporaries with long spears was their greater flexibility by way of deployment.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    It's not just guys. I've cosplayed a few of the "hotter" male characters, and once a character that people enjoy making gay pairings for and the attention I received from some of the women/girls at the con as entirely unwanted, unwarranted and down right creepy.

Conventions are great, but they are also putting a ton of people with varying levels of social skills in a very small area. Policing is needed to keep things in line.

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014

From what I understand they used mostly short stabbing swords and tall shields, before moving forward they would throw their pilum to do some damage and hopefully confuse or unnerve the enemy, their main advantage against contemporaries with long spears was their greater flexibility by way of deployment.

The Pilum were essentially Javelins designed to stick in shields, and thus render them unusable. The most common weapons of a century were indeed the Gladius and the Scutum, although every legionary carried one or two pilum as well.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    The pilums were also made so that they bent on impact and couldn't been thrown back.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    It's not just guys. I've cosplayed a few of the "hotter" male characters, and once a character that people enjoy making gay pairings for and the attention I received from some of the women/girls at the con as entirely unwanted, unwarranted and down right creepy.

Conventions are great, but they are also putting a ton of people with varying levels of social skills in a very small area. Policing is needed to keep things in line.

Now I'm curious who you cosplayed as.

• Options
    Anzekay wrote: »

The two ones that got the most reaction were Wolfwood and Trafalgar Law.

• Options

Wolfwood I can see, but I am slightly surprised at Trafalgar.

Did you have Wolfwood's gun, too? That must've been some prop work.

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    I am suddenly reminded of the Wolfwood cosplayer I saw once that carried around a giant Star of David.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    The most epic cosplay I've ever seen was a guy who did Nightmare from Soul Caliber. I think he said it took about 350 hours of work to make. The hell.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Games should rock an Atlatl one of these days. Those things are awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjV7lYP6hRw

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    That heel comment is too priceless.
    EO5cI1M.jpg

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    That set of artist sketch notes tells you pretty much everything there is to know about the Zero Suit

Except for the heels; originally it had military-style lift

Everything else is right there

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options

Wolfwood I can see, but I am slightly surprised at Trafalgar.

Did you have Wolfwood's gun, too? That must've been some prop work.

I did but I had it wrapped up with cloth and straps which made it easy. Just some hollow plastic cut to shape to keep it light.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    "I'm really going to enjoy drawing this." kind of says it all, doesn't it?

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    JohnHam wrote: »
    Why is Dark Souls 2 coming out on a Friday? Why is the home stretch of this wait the most agonizing?

Other than wanting to have it sooner, how is the beginning of the weekend not the ideal day to release games?

I don't know how it is elsewhere, but here in Denmark movies used to premiere in cinemas on fridays. It shifted to thursdays a few year ago, for reasons unknown to me.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    Games should rock an Atlatl one of these days. Those things are awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjV7lYP6hRw

that seems cool

but it's no Urumi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMAsCuDFSUI

wY6K6Jb.gif
This discussion has been closed.