As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sazer[chat]

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    K. S.?

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    ronya wrote: »
    K. S.?
    The missus and I hang stockings for christmas (I am p much not a christian any more, but I love that holiday).

We also live in the city, where fireplaces are rarer than jackelopes.

So we got those things to hang our stockings off of.

In the move, we packed all our Christmas stuff away and missed those, so I have them on my photos / mementos shelves at the moment, right by me sitting on the iron throne, ruling all of Westeros with a tyrant's fist.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    in fairness, EDM concerts are just 20 year olds overdosing on molly and using up too much water

Get in ur dying hole, grandpa.
    U 2 old 2 live

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    K. S.?

Kill steal. Syndalis steals kills, cause he's a jerk!

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    140415_1397582978.png

mint chunk daft punk sounds delicious

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Cinna Bon Jovi sounds fucking amazing.

Especially if it is more like Cinnabon and less like bon jovi.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2014
    So the SK ferry thing is awful. After this guy and the Greek Italian captain it seems captains going down with the ship was taken off the curriculum a while ago.

Bogart on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    So the SK ferry thing is awful. After this guy and the Greek captain it seems captains going down with the ship was taken off the curriculum a while ago.

What Greek Captain was that?

• Options
    edited April 2014
    So the SK ferry thing is awful. After this guy and the Greek captain it seems captains going down with the ship was taken off the curriculum a while ago.

the guy captaining a cruise ship who abandoned ship before assisting any of the passengers. Was pretty big news a handful of years ago.

edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Costa_Concordia_disaster

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    syndalis wrote: »

the guy captaining a cruise ship who abandoned ship before assisting any of the passengers. Was pretty big news a handful of years ago.

I doubt it pays enough to die for

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    http://i.imgur.com/bDA2AnF.gif

have my baby ndgt

919UOwT.png
  • Options

Oh. I thought that was Italian.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    in fairness, EDM concerts are just 20 year olds overdosing on molly and using up too much water

Get in ur dying hole, grandpa.
    U 2 old 2 live

Haha, I was wondering how long that'd take you. At least your memory loss hasn't kicked in yet.

• Options
    It pays enough not to sail into dangerous waters to impress your girlfriend and then peg it at the first sign something bad has happened, though. I don't necessarily think they should sink beneath the waves giving a final salute on the deck but hanging around to give an evacuation order and organise it is precisely what you're paid for.

The SK guy apparently gave an order for everyone to remain where they were, tried to right the boat, failed, then pegged it without giving a general evacuation order (reports apparently vary about that last bit).

• Options
  • Options

probably doesn't, but it is the job description.. and if you are literally running past disabled passengers to get your ass out of there, George Costanza-style, as the captain... there should be punishment.

Just like if a cop saw a bank robbery going down, said "nope" and just kept going because fuck this I don't get paid enough.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
  • Options

I am perfectly ok with someone trying to save themselves in a life threatening situation.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

probably doesn't, but it is the job description.. and if you are literally running past disabled passengers to get your ass out of there, George Costanza-style, as the captain... there should be punishment.

Just like if a cop saw a bank robbery going down, said "nope" and just kept going because fuck this I don't get paid enough.

I wouldn't expect a cop to stop a robbery alone, either.

Look what happened to Murphy.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Goddamn I think I just had a panic attack. I... I don't know if that was due to my new anti-depressant medicine, or me being stupid, or what... but.. this morning has been damned scary. Not enough sleep, barely eating for the last 48 hours, and when I went to force myself to have cereal, the milk tasted absolutely disgusting -- first time that's ever happened with me involving milk 2 days over expiration.

I'm on something else called Phentermine, to act as an appetite supressant. The pharmacist said it was okay to take that and prozac at the same time, but I really don't like it because it makes me not want to eat.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options

in costa concordia, the captain knew the ship was screwed and NOPED it out of there

in this case, from reports it seems that the ship wasn't actually expected to suddenly flip upside down and trapping all the passengers

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    Goddamn I think I just had a panic attack. I... I don't know if that was due to my new anti-depressant medicine, or me being stupid, or what... but.. this morning has been damned scary. Not enough sleep, barely eating for the last 48 hours, and when I went to force myself to have cereal, the milk tasted absolutely disgusting -- first time that's ever happened with me involving milk 2 days over expiration.

I'm on something else called Phentermine, to act as an appetite supressant. The pharmacist said it was okay to take that and prozac at the same time, but I really don't like it because it makes me not want to eat.

well expiry dates are probabilistic

maybe the milk really is spoilt

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Obviously I do not know all of the details of this case, but as a rule of thumb, I do not expect a captain to go down with his ship because that is stupid.

• Options

Ehhh, I don't really fault Captain Costanza for not giving a single shit about the dipshit cruise passengers. Sucks to be his cowardly ass though

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular

Agreed. At the end of the day. It's a job. You don't expect rob the accountant to go down with his office when his spreadsheets catch on fire.

• Options

I am perfectly ok with someone trying to save themselves in a life threatening situation.

This isn't someone, this is the guy whose responsibility it is to evacuate the passengers in life-threatening situations. Unless you're actually saying that people whose job it is to do certain things in life-threatening situations should in no way feel they should have to do those things because my God man this is a life-threatening situation.

• Options

I don't expect all captains to literally drown, but they do have a responsibility for their passengers and crew, and abandoning ship without taking reasonable measures to help them is a case of negligence. If after they've organised an evacuation they choose to avail of it, I won't begrudge them it.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not reading up on the South Korea Ferry. I'm waiting for more details to come in before reaching any conclusions.

• Options
    the captain stays on the ship to coordinate evacuation

he doesn't stay there for Honour or whatnot, if evac is already carried out then he leaves with the evac too

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    zepherin wrote: »

Agreed. At the end of the day. It's a job. You don't expect rob the accountant to go down with his office when his spreadsheets catch on fire.

This is a bullshit analogy.

Rob the accountant isn't tasked with fully understanding the building, knowing all of the escape routes, knowing how to deploy all of the safety mechanisms and life support vessels, and held accountable as a manager of a large crew who follows their lead in making sure the maximum number of people survive in a disaster.

There are laws on the books specifically for how captains are supposed to handle disasters because people put a significant amount of trust in their hands. It is an entirely different situation.

Jesus, folks... I'd hate to live in a world where pilots yell "wild card bitches" as they open the door and hop out wearing a parachute when a plane starts failing.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Ughhhhhhh.

I need to study and do work and apply to jobs.

I'm just so tired, all i want to do is sleep forever.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    So do any of you have kids?

How would you feel if the bus driver of your children's school bus fucked up, crashed it into a deep enough river to threaten death by drowning and only made sure he could get out while leaving the rest of the children to attempt to escape on their own.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/17/world/asia/south-korea-ship-sinking/index.html?hpt=hp_t1
    The ship ran into trouble just before 9 a.m. Wednesday (8 p.m. Tuesday ET), about 12 miles from the island of Jindo. More than 300 of the 475 people on the ferry were high school students headed to Jeju.

Because that's basically what happened here.

• Options
    Agreed. At the end of the day. It's a job. You don't expect rob the ACCOUNTANT to go down with his OFFICE when his SPREADSHEETS CATCH ON FIRE.

Analogies are apparently now just madlibs.

• Options
    Agreed. At the end of the day. It's a job. You don't expect rob the PENIS to go down with his BUTT when his PENIS PENIS PENIS.

Analogies are apparently now just madlibs.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Rob the accountant isn't tasked with fully understanding the building, knowing all of the escape routes, knowing how to deploy all of the safety mechanisms and life support vessels, and held accountable as a manager of a large crew who follows their lead in making sure the maximum number of people survive in a disaster.

Is Rob in tax or audit?

• Options
    holy fucking shit my nose just started niagra falls gushing blood what the what

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »

Someone's trying to hate you to death.

• Options
    Trace wrote: »

stop doing so much coke.

Also, lead forward, pinch your nose shut, and wait like 10 minutes. If blood gets in your mouth / throat, spit that shit out.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Look all I am saying is that if firefighters don't feel like fighting fires and rescuing people inside of buildings, I mean, who can blame them? Something something accountants.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    @‌msmya

What do you mean you didn't see me all weekend?

We talked for a quite a bit at the dinner. You came over and sat with me...

Were you so drunk you don't even remember?

Breaking my heart...

This discussion has been closed.