As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gabriel Garcia Marquez has died at age 87

miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines,and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
edited April 2014 in Social Entropy++
tumblr_n476utvqo61qb6v6ro2_500.jpg

From the New York Times:
Gabriel García Márquez, the Colombian novelist whose “One Hundred Years of Solitude” established him as a giant of 20th-century literature, died on Thursday at his home in Mexico City. He was 87.

His death was confirmed by Cristóbal Pera, his former editor at Random House.

Mr. García Márquez, who received the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1982, wrote fiction rooted in a mythical Latin American landscape of his own creation, but his appeal was universal. His books were translated into dozens of languages. He was among a select roster of canonical writers — Dickens, Tolstoy and Hemingway among them — who were embraced both by critics and by a mass audience.

“Each new work of his is received by expectant critics and readers as an event of world importance,” the Swedish Academy of Letters said in awarding him the Nobel.

I haven't been this broken up about a literary death since Vonnegut, and I've only been a fan of Marquez' work for about two years. I'm bummed as hell right now.

tumblr_n471rx15mN1qcl6lzo1_500.jpg

"If I knew that this would be the last time you pass through this door, I’d embrace you, kiss you, and call you back for one more. If I knew that this would be the last time I would hear your voice, I’d take hold of each word to be able to hear it over and over again. If I knew this is the last time I see you, I’d tell you I love you, and would not just assume foolishly you know it already."

uc3ufTB.png
miscellaneousinsanity on

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    well shit

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Fantastic writer. It's always sad when someone great dies but at least he lived a pretty long life.

• Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    It's awful when the world loses a literary master

his books were magnificent.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I read Hocus Pocus after Vonnegut died.

So there is a silver lining in that it does introduce more people to their work, and is a kind of immortality in its own way.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Chicago JoeChicago Joe jeezy petes! (not actually in Chicago anymore)Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    I read Hocus Pocus after Vonnegut died.

So there is a silver lining in that it does introduce more people to their work, and is a kind of immortality in its own way.

I know I've definitely moved the author from "I should really check this guy out at some point" to "next on the list" . Any recommendations for an introduction to his ?

Chicago Joe on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I was actually too sad to click on this thread for most of today.

I like The General in his Labyrinth, but anything really ... he's done quite a few short stories, if you want to dip your toe in first.

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    "He did not know exactly when he began to float. He saw his friends and the women sailing in a radiant glow, without weight or mass, saying words that did not come our of their mouths and making mysterious signals that did not correspond to their expressions."

great book

makes me wish I weren't such shit at learning other languages