As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[H1Z1] Where the Best Game Mode is Without Zombies

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Should be some comedy in this stream tonight, Strippin invited anyone from chat to join him:

• Options
    RobesRobes Registered User regular
    Yeah you have to chop up zombies to get the chance for cloth scraps.

"Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    Landmines are awesome. We placed one on a dead player bag, chased after an airdrop, and when we got back there were 2 player bags! Their trigger radius is somewhat small (maybe 5ft?), but the explosion radius seems quite big. We placed a few in the police station, but for once we didn't see any players on that side of town.

With how common loot is now, the landmine recipe might need a nerf. I could see them getting real annoying, real fast. Their arm time is pretty fast too. We were thinking about using them to kill people when they chase us.

• Options
    I watched Strippin set one off by jumping on it on stream last night. It didn't kill him or show an explosion, but it killed two players nearby.

Side note, Strippin managed to get together a mob of about 30 players and they led several unsuccessful raids versus super geared dupers/cheaters who had built themselves a series of forts. It was pretty hilarious.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Well after playing for a while, both at launch when servers were imploding and this recent weekend. I can say that the same unresolved issues I had with DayZ are alive and well in H1Z1. I prefer locked 1st person, which basically means the servers I play on are empty. For whatever reason people like to talk about realism, and then peer around corners with a third person camera. I'm pretty sure if they scaled third person in such a way that it was no longer possible I would enjoy using it, but then everyone would quit and the game would die.

Aside from the first 2-3 days of playing and running into people once in a while. I never saw a single player over the weekend. I did hear 2 cars at one point, but the entire map is covered in abandoned shacks with no doors or players in sight.

I guess we're in the wait and see stage of early access.

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    Well after playing for a while, both at launch when servers were imploding and this recent weekend. I can say that the same unresolved issues I had with DayZ are alive and well in H1Z1. I prefer locked 1st person, which basically means the servers I play on are empty. For whatever reason people like to talk about realism, and then peer around corners with a third person camera. I'm pretty sure if they scaled third person in such a way that it was no longer possible I would enjoy using it, but then everyone would quit and the game would die.

Aside from the first 2-3 days of playing and running into people once in a while. I never saw a single player over the weekend. I did hear 2 cars at one point, but the entire map is covered in abandoned shacks with no doors or players in sight.

Development is moving about 10 times faster than DayZ and the playability is already at a much better state. Shouldn't take long to get more players and stuff.

• Options
    Bubby wrote: »

Development is moving about 10 times faster than DayZ and the playability is already at a much better state. Shouldn't take long to get more players and stuff.

Well it seems like among the people I know, those who have hard ons for DayZ won't even consider switching. Which I'm fine with. I also agree the development actually has a more professional "serious product improvement" feel to it. I think things will just take time, and I'm afraid people may just be Zombied out by the time its feature complete.

• Options
    If you are a fan of the genre, I don't understand why you can't just play both. I get different things out of H1Z1 and DayZ. Since both are in early access, it's easy to take a month break from one (waiting for patches) and play the other.

• Options
    Alright, so loot was spawing at like 10x tonight. We were walking around with 100+ bullets for each weapon.

On a side note I learned that if you want to give your friend a mine, don't drag it form your inventory to the ground. You see, that places the mine on the ground. Then when your friend walks over to you to pick up the mine, bad things happen.

• Options
    Ash of YewAsh of Yew Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Ratsult2 wrote: »
    If you are a fan of the genre, I don't understand why you can't just play both. I get different things out of H1Z1 and DayZ. Since both are in early access, it's easy to take a month break from one (waiting for patches) and play the other.

I agree, it is on a basic level quite literally like comparing planetside 2 to arma. Different goals and approaches. I hope both succeed, and while I haven't grabbed H1Z1 yet I'm definitely gonna try it at some point.
    I think things will just take time, and I'm afraid people may just be Zombied out by the time its feature complete.

I wouldn't worry too much about that in the larger sense. I've seen people say the same about DayZ (I think I may have even thought it too at one point) but I think that pretty much anyone who bought early access for these games then gives up will undoubtedly give it another try on actual release. I personally know about as many people who are waiting for launch in DayZ's case as I do who actually play, and I'm sure the same is largely true for H1Z1 or any early access game in general.

On an individual level though I think there is a valid concern that those who stick with a game through its early access process could burn out by the time of release. At the very least, you miss out on that novelty of trying something feature complete that is fresh as you've been there for each development. That's why I think Ratsult2's approach is a good one of taking extended breaks.

If you meant people being tired of actual zombies I think we're already there =P
    I personally don't like zombies at all to begin with and I'm sick of all these zombie games (really think h1z1 missed a great opportunity to set the whole thing in space and even tie it in with their planetside lore). But a good game is a good game and in both these cases the games are hardly about zombies any ways. They're just a backdrop.

Ash of Yew on
  • Options
    drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    Give me some special or even crazy RE zombies and some STALKER like anomalies and I'll be all over it.

Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Man, an open-world survival Stalker would be so great.

• Options
    MolotovMolotov Registered User regular
    I started playing this last night, and one of my biggest gripes is storage. I understand the whole dying thing and losing it all. But what should I be doing if I want to save building materials? If you build a shed, do you respawn at that location?

"I must've broke a mirror at three and had bad luck for seven
    Cuz pops slid, and mommy died before I turned eleven" -50cent
  • Options
    You don't have to have an item in inventory to craft using it. As long as its on the ground near you. The first thing I do as a fresh spawn is tear up my shirt and pants to make a bow and satchel. I built a hut and when I died I still spawned wherever, but honestly the map isn't that huge and the only real bummer is if you're trying to meet up with someone.

• Options
    Ash of YewAsh of Yew Registered User regular
    I liked the way Rust handled spawning at your base, of making it attached to an item (sleeping bag) and each one being on a timer. It gave you a nice ability to defend your base from raiders but not for an indefinite amount of time.

• Options
    pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Hmm, so far this has worked out to be "get shot with arrow by man in baseball cap" simulator

edit: Guess I should get in the group. Someone toss me an invite please? http://steamcommunity.com/id/blarglefwoop

pardzh on
    gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Sooo..Sony Online Entertainment is no more, having been bought from Sony and made an Independent Developer Kotaku Article Yes I know, Kotaku, blagh, but still.

On another note, text chat in the game is still broken? Tried to talk to someone and got no where.

• Options
    pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    The loot balance in this game is really wonky at the moment... been playing for 8 hours and I've never even seen a gun

gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
  • Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    pardzh wrote: »
    The loot balance in this game is really wonky at the moment... been playing for 8 hours and I've never even seen a gun

I played for 15 minutes and found a pistol and a machete, but no bullets. And I couldn't load the machete into the pistol.

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    HewnHewn Registered User regular
    And I couldn't load the machete into the pistol.

And to think I thought this game had potential.

Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • Options
    I grow increasingly tired of people with high powered guns murdering people who have literally nothing, and are no threat and often have no idea they are even there. was really hoping this would be different from dayz.

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    I grow increasingly tired of people with high powered guns murdering people who have literally nothing, and are no threat and often have no idea they are even there. was really hoping this would be different from dayz.

It's unclear why you thought it might be.

Garthor on
  • Options
    Garthor wrote: »

Mostly because I thought guns were not going to be this common, much less assault rifles.

Oh well.

• Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular

Mostly because I thought guns were not going to be this common, much less assault rifles.

Oh well.

There's also the thing where the map is much much smaller than the DayZ map and the player count is higher. Kill on sight bullshit was annoying in DayZ but unless you were focused on the key areas it was also surprisingly rare.

In this game you spawn in and a dude shoots you in the head with an arrow while another three people are having a brawl down the hill. It's kind of ruining the game for me. I could I suppose move to a PvE server but then that would defeat the point.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BigDes wrote: »

Oh well.

There's also the thing where the map is much much smaller than the DayZ map and the player count is higher. Kill on sight bullshit was annoying in DayZ but unless you were focused on the key areas it was also surprisingly rare.

In this game you spawn in and a dude shoots you in the head with an arrow while another three people are having a brawl down the hill. It's kind of ruining the game for me. I could I suppose move to a PvE server but then that would defeat the point.

Yeah, I don't want to play on a PvE server, but just being randomly shot in the middle of no where for no reason was annoying on DayZ, and somehow its even more annoying in h1z1

• Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular

Oh well.

Yeah, I don't want to play on a PvE server, but just being randomly shot in the middle of no where for no reason was annoying on DayZ, and somehow its even more annoying in h1z1

Mostly because it is so common.

Game isn't even a survival sim anymore. It's deathmatch on a big map and I find it really sad

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Oh well.

Mostly because it is so common.

Game isn't even a survival sim anymore. It's deathmatch on a big map and I find it really sad

Which is exactly what dayz devolved into.

Its seriously making me regret supporting the game and buying its Early Access, I was hoping that guns were going to be super rare and the best most people would have is a good bow. Which is sad cause the devs are good and theres an interesting game, not that I can discover it because I keep getting sniped.

and I know how hard it is to bitch about this shit because theres a damn near invisible line between legitimate complaints and just boohoo don't kill people boohoo.

There should be player killing, but there should be a reason for it, and that reason should be "Oh hey look someone just respawned infront of me BLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAM"

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Not gonna lie, never understood why this was in the MMO sub-forum.

So the game is on sale for $10 but... given there haven't been any posts in here, am I to assume you all bailed on it?

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Arthil wrote: »
    Not gonna lie, never understood why this was in the MMO sub-forum.

So the game is on sale for $10 but... given there haven't been any posts in here, am I to assume you all bailed on it?

I've not given it a go in almost 3 months cause I got fed up with the way the dev team went with regards to buying weapons via airdrops for real money and the fucking insane preponderance of high level long range weapons.

It might have changed since then, I suppose I should give it another go to give it a fair, up to date shake..but I'd much rather play something else that hasn't deeply disappointed me.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    spent about half an hour in h1z1 tonight.

Spawned, ripped up my shirt to make a makeshift bow, wandered around killing zombies and wolves, found a new shirt, found a fancy hat, found a recurve bow (I don't know why or how its better than my makeshift bow), found a m1911, found an alarming and varied amount of ammo, killed a black bear with my new bow, found a small cluster of houses and logged out for the night.

Feels like the performance has improved since last I played, but unfortunately did not find any people to interact with..if text chat even works (I never saw what I typed so its impossible to tell)

edit
    Still feel like guns may be too common, I really wish makeshift weapons like bows and hatchets were the norm. It would have been a great way to differentiate itself from DayZ

edit2
    Looking around, seems like hackers are still a big problem, and it seems like the devs have shifted focus to their battle royale thingy than the survival thing because streamer.s

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    StrikaStrika Registered User regular
    Just wanted to say, the fun part of this game is the Battle Royales.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Are they still planning on making this F2P?

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    Mortious wrote: »
    Are they still planning on making this F2P?

Yeah, the game will be F2P. They will charge for tickets to Battle Royale mode, plus the usual cosmetic stuff.

Also, there is a $173k Battle Royale tourney this weekend at TwitchCon: https://www.daybreakgames.com/news/where-to-watch-h1z1-invitational-2015

• Options
    I think it's interesting everyone seems to conceptually enjoy the idea of "Zombie Survival". However when given a choice near unanimous preference is whatever mode gets rid of all trace of zombies or Survival. Whatever puts a gun in the players hands fastest so they can kill other players is best.

• Options
    They are planning on eventually adding zombies to BR mode. Although I think there was talk of BRs with and without them.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    I think it's interesting everyone seems to conceptually enjoy the idea of "Zombie Survival". However when given a choice near unanimous preference is whatever mode gets rid of all trace of zombies or Survival. Whatever puts a gun in the players hands fastest so they can kill other players is best.

Its because no company has the balls to make one of these games and make the anti-human weapons rare enough to encourage interaction over just shooting first and asking questions never.

I thought H1Z1 would be the one to do it, I believed them when they said guns would be rare, and thought the game would be mostly played with bows and axes. Of course the DayZ Deathmatchers came roaring in demanding guns and now they are seemingly everywhere.

Same thing that ruined DayZ has ruined H1Z1, and every other game of the sort, and that's being killed from 600m out by an enemy you were no threat to, whom you didn't know was there, because he needs to inflate his epenis and stroke it like a monkey hopped up on aphrodisiacs.

Of course anyone that brings that up is met with the inevitable tidal wave of " lol lrn2play n00b "

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    StrikaStrika Registered User regular
    I wasn't even aware people played the survival mode.

• Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    a

Its because no company has the balls to make one of these games and make the anti-human weapons rare enough to encourage interaction over just shooting first and asking questions never.

I thought H1Z1 would be the one to do it, I believed them when they said guns would be rare, and thought the game would be mostly played with bows and axes. Of course the DayZ Deathmatchers came roaring in demanding guns and now they are seemingly everywhere.

Same thing that ruined DayZ has ruined H1Z1, and every other game of the sort, and that's being killed from 600m out by an enemy you were no threat to, whom you didn't know was there, because he needs to inflate his epenis and stroke it like a monkey hopped up on aphrodisiacs.

Of course anyone that brings that up is met with the inevitable tidal wave of " lol lrn2play n00b "

I'll say the same thing I say about that crap in every other game. If you want to do a survival game, then try to be at least remotely realistic when it comes to guns.

Especially with the shooting. Any game where I see someone strafing with a sniper rifle (and hitting) immediately fails in that department. I've seen someone try that in real life. Ended up with a fracture for being a dumbass.
    (Edit: I don't even think you could have qualified it as a 'sniper' rifle either, so the kick wasn't as bad.)

Astale on
  • Options
    H1Z1 is splitting into two games

One will be a king of the hill/battle royale game, where one presumes they'll continue to give all their fucks and attention.

the other will be the survival component, which one presumes will continue to be ignored.

If you currently own H1Z1, you'll get the split off for free.

• Options
    Also in a move shocking no one, the battle royale will be the first to come out as a finished, released product.

Hopefully no one else was stupid like I was and bought into the beta of the survival game, expecting something silly like them to focus on the survival aspect.