As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SWTOR] Outfit designer is out now. Playable Togruta coming on 3.3, late July.

• Options
    NyhtNyht Registered User regular
    I think the 12x xp is going to suck me in for a bit again. Since release, I've tried to come back and roll a new character to max, but I keep getting bogged down in the time commitment of the leveling process somewhere around Tatooine, get bored, and move away again. Being able to come in and focus on the class quests/story and push right up to the newest stuff faster will be a nice change of pace. I think it may be time to reroll my snuggler for the umpteenth time.

Same. I've got a Guardian at 22 or something that I intend to level up to 50 at least. Then I'll do the same for the Imperial Agent I have at 36. That story was so good that I feel like a criminal for not finishing it up.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    It's probably been a year at least since I last launched this thing; that 1200% experience boost sure is tempting.

• Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    I think the 12x xp is going to suck me in for a bit again.

Is the start of 12x the next big content patch (i.e. chasing the Emperor to Ziost)? If so, I'll probably continue the story before I start with the leveling. The Shadow of Revan story is pretty decent if you can manage the trick of mentally compartmentalizing the Revan of SWTOR from your Revan of KoTOR.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    I don't think so. 12x is for Star Wars Day (May 4th) whereas I think Ziost is supposed to be June or so?

• Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    htm wrote: »

Is the start of 12x the next big content patch (i.e. chasing the Emperor to Ziost)? If so, I'll probably continue the story before I start with the leveling. The Shadow of Revan story is pretty decent if you can manage the trick of mentally compartmentalizing the Revan of SWTOR from your Revan of KoTOR.

Honestly, they should have left him dead after Foundry, and had him replaced by a puppet of the Emperor.

Or any other scheme, really. He was kinda dumb in SoR.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Did someone say 12x XP?!

Time to return for a few weeks and finally get a consular and inquisitor to cap. Sadly I won't be able to get started till the 6th or so, as I'll be in Dallas away from my gaming rig till then.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Astale wrote: »

Honestly, they should have left him dead after Foundry, and had him replaced by a puppet of the Emperor.

Soaking in the Emperor's evil for around 200 years trying to keep said Emperor from hitting the Republic early and thoroughly will screw up a guy's mind.

• Options
    Owenashi wrote: »

Soaking in the Emperor's evil for around 200 years trying to keep said Emperor from hitting the Republic early and thoroughly will screw up a guy's mind.

He came off less "crazy" and more "badly written".

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »

He came off less "crazy" and more "badly written".

He had Jaesa Syndrome.
    I've been of the opinion that neither Jaesa is particularly interesting for some time. They're two-dimensional caricatures of Jedi and Sith. The ability to choose which side becomes the actual character is interesting, but given the quality of writing each side receives, it's probably the worst thing that happens to her.

At least SoR's Revan has the excuse of being actually separated into two beings as an excuse.

• Options
    I had pretty much the same issue with Jaesa, yeah. Didn't help that LS Jae was boring as all holy hell.

I mean, Kira and Ashara are pretty animated for sidekicks. Even Scourge has a personality. Nadia I wouldn't know though, because fuck the consular story.

• Options
    I'm suddenly hit by yet another twinge of annoyance that you can't cut off Quinn's head.

That's one thing that still annoys me about swtor. The stories have consequences (but not really)! I mean I love them, but when you're all done you look back and you're in the same place as everyone else, regardless.

I understand why they removed the gameplay effects of the stories (although I think they should have worked on alternatives), but they removed things like the unique titles as well. I mean, what the hell was the point of that? Can't even have people walking around with special titles for what they did in the story? What?

Also, while I'm complaining, they should have done more with companions. They're a major part of the game, but most of the time they're furniture. I don't know *what* to do with them, really, but they're just so neglected.
    Hell, if nothing else, let them train new abilities or change skill sets. Not like it'd be hard to recolor some class/enemy abilities.

• Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    I'm still mad at Quinns.

I recall it being mentioned earlier in the thread (or perhaps another thread) that if you want to feel better about that, you give that character one of the cybernetic cosmetic armor sets and imagined you brutalized them so grievously they would envy Vader with the kind of machinery they require to keep alive.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    jdarksun wrote: »
    I'm still mad at Quinns.
    I recall it being mentioned earlier in the thread (or perhaps another thread) that if you want to feel better about that, you give that character one of the cybernetic cosmetic armor sets and imagined you brutalized them so grievously they would envy Vader with the kind of machinery they require to keep alive.
    Yes, but that is actually what I wanted to happen. "You betray me? OK. I'm going to beat the shit out of you and dump your organs into a cybernetic shell that literally can not disobey me. Also you're going to serve me forever and be buried in my tomb."

• Options
    Commodore75Commodore75 gothenburg.seRegistered User regular
    Patch 3.2.1 on PTS has been mined
    Judging by the second picture, Low Slash is getting another animation change.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    3.2 on Tuesday. Soo yeah.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I went to the effort to load up the PTS yesterday to take a look at the outfit designer and see what it's like. I like it a lot and I'm very excited. They haven't taken away functionality from legacy gear, which I was afraid they would. When you "stamp" your outfit, your character retains that outfit even if you remove all gear. Some people probably aren't going to like this if they want to get naked sometimes, but I love it. Though I guess I didn't play with it long enough to find out if there's a way to hide your saved outfit. Each "stamp" (for a single piece of gear) costs 5k which is darn reasonable.

Thanks to this, I'll finally be able to get my special geared characters in legacy. This also might mean a resurgence in desire for crafted gear, at least the unique stuff.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Can you outfit designer companions, and can said outfits include pieces they aren't normally able to wear? I'd love to give my trooper companions helmets that match the Trooper-only colossus helm.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Can you outfit designer companions, and can said outfits include pieces they aren't normally able to wear? I'd love to give my trooper companions helmets that match the Trooper-only colossus helm.

I didn't check, but I doubt it.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    I remember a lot of people mentioning that you could not use the otfit designer on you companions.
    Sounds like another thing they'll fix eventually. They know people want it, and are willing to pay for it.
    Cambiata wrote: »
    I went to the effort to load up the PTS yesterday to take a look at the outfit designer and see what it's like. I like it a lot and I'm very excited. They haven't taken away functionality from legacy gear, which I was afraid they would. [...]

In which way(s)?

• Options
    I remember a lot of people mentioning that you could not use the otfit designer on you companions.
    Sounds like another thing they'll fix eventually. They know people want it, and are willing to pay for it.
    Cambiata wrote: »
    I went to the effort to load up the PTS yesterday to take a look at the outfit designer and see what it's like. I like it a lot and I'm very excited. They haven't taken away functionality from legacy gear, which I was afraid they would. [...]

In which way(s)?

It seems like I read or heard a comment from a SWTOR dev saying that they feel like legacy gear is too powerful or something? In any case, as a test on the PTS, I stamped a chest piece with the designer, took off my legacy chest and emailed it to an alt, then emailed it back with no issue. My fear was that with the launch of the designer that they might make legacy gear no longer sharable between alts.

• Options
    Granted, they still might do that in the future... but I think they'll probably just release no more legacy gear (maybe). I mean it would be kind of silly for them to remove items they gave away as part of a promotion.

• Options
    Yeah, I know you mentioned it, and I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted to get rid of legacy gear to inflate all gear grind, but like you said ... it's been part of rewards, and reason for people to grind rep, so I hope they don't.

In case anyone missed it, the TORcommunity kickstarted was successfull, and reached all stretch goals.
    Including "Integrated 3D Model Viewer for Simple Items/NPCs".

• Options
    PSA:
    (Unofficial) 1v1 Tournament on The Red Eclipse will start soon.
    (One stealth bracket, and another for non-stealthers. No healers. :P )

Either log on to the Red Eclipse and get your ass to Tatooin, or follow the stream here (maybe Nexy has one on twitch as well, I don't know).

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    When is this exp event? If it happens after finals I will definitely re-up for a month.

• Options
    When is this exp event? If it happens after finals I will definitely re-up for a month.

May 4. Will run for an indefinite amount of time (which is to say, they don't have any plans to end it for the foreseeable future).

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    Oh man, people on the main forums don't seem to like the upcoming exp change. I have a question for those of you who tried it the last time. How do you deal with gear? It seems like your level would outpace what you have equipped. Do you have to go back and do a few side quests for the equipment rewards?

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    PreciousBodilyFluidsPreciousBodilyFluids Registered User regular
    Wait, what's not to like about the 12xp thing? Finally a reason to do the 2 last remaining class stories, which I probably never would have invested in otherwise.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Oh man, people on the main forums don't seem to like the upcoming exp change. I have a question for those of you who tried it the last time. How do you deal with gear? It seems like your level would outpace what you have equipped. Do you have to go back and do a few side quests for the equipment rewards?

With 12x XP, you often can outlevel content, which can obviate the need to gear up for a long time.

With a sorc, most of the time I was either using nothing but a power crystal (because I had a custom outfit that looked cool, but didn't actually need to fill it out), or using incredibly outdated equipment (e.g. level 10-20 at level 40).

It's worth leveling up cybertech and making a couple outfits to simplify your life; say one around 20 and one around 40--more than that is probably excessive on some classes (others, you might need to bother with it). But given the pace of leveling, it's going to be difficult to keep your gear up, and you need to be ready for that.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Yeah, gear isn't really an issue for the 12x XP. I'm not sure its even a problem late game. I'm not sure if its still in place, but the last time they ran 12x XP, they had solo versions of some of the late Operations, which rewarded you with a complete set of high end gear. This let you be properly geared for the Shadow of Revan content, which is the content you won't be able to outlevel.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Another thing to remember when gearing for 12xXP leveling,

The gear you buy with basic comms from planetary vendors has a 2 hour refund timer.
    You'll probably want to trade that gear in for an upgrade within 2 hours.
    (That doesn't mean that you'll want to buy a new hat before turning in your previous head gear, but maybe some fancy pants.)

And if you plan to level more than one character, and you have Treek, try to set her up with a fully modded Legacy set that you got from the GFS launch, then when you need to upgrade her gear, just send the set to your next toon, and give her a new set of level apropriate GSF gear.

But like Orca mentioned, being over-leveled will make you more powerful than min-max:ing your gear.

And please use this opportunity to level up character on other servers or another region.
    Not only will you then get the chance to partake in community organized server events, but you also have another place to go to when either your server crashes, or the queues aren't popping.
    Note, 1) Legacy is per-server, so you'll miss out on all those sweet unlocks and achievements unless you do a character transfer, 2) you can't transfer characters from EU to NA or vice versa.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll go get pepped/prepped for June 23...

Commodore75 on
  • Options
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    Yeah, gear isn't really an issue for the 12x XP. I'm not sure its even a problem late game. I'm not sure if its still in place, but the last time they ran 12x XP, they had solo versions of some of the late Operations, which rewarded you with a complete set of high end gear. This let you be properly geared for the Shadow of Revan content, which is the content you won't be able to outlevel.

Flashpoint, but yeah, the four "Forged Alliance" FP that lead up to SoR now all have a [Solo] version that not only are easy to clear (since you get an extra droid companion that can clear the content as long as it doesn't get knocked off a ledge), but also give good XP. On top of that, they count as story, so ... 12xXP.

Really, the only thing you need to do to get to lvl 60 is
    1) Complete Acts 1-3,
    (For story/lore/awesome reasons I'd recommend you do the Ilum quest line, inclusing the two Flashpoints (Battle of Ilum, and False Emperor), but you can skip this. Not sure if 12xXP affects the Ilum quest line.)
    2) Get to Makeb and use the Make Orbital buff thingy. (Looks like a GSI terminal with a small dish on top.) It will buff you, but not your companion, to lvl 55. So gear won't even be an issue. Just make sure you try to equipe something in each gear slot. (Relics, implants, etc.)
    Finish the Makeb story line
    (Another optional planet i Oricon. If you plan on doing a lot of lvl 55 tier 2 operations, and/or want the gear/taun taun, go ahead ... I'd say skip it. At least for now. Not sure if 12xXP affects Oricon quest line, but I'd assume so.)
    3) Go to fleet and look for the astromech droid that starts the "Forged Alliance" story arc.
    Finish it. (Remember to use the teleport icons next to the missions to get to where you need to be instantly.)
    4) Get on your ship and look for a new mission terminal. Interact with it to start the Shadow Of Revan story.
    Do that until you reach level 60 (probably before Yavin IV).

gz

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    I never ran any of the post-50 content until the Solo versions came out, so I didn't know if they were Flashpoints or Operations. Also, I wish they would solo-mode the rest of the flashpoints that can be solo'd.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    Nah, I think they should give people reasons to group up with others.
    (Don't tell anyone, but I actually think they should make the Story Mode operations dead easy, so that more people try them out, and complete them, instead of giving up on all group content because of all the abuse that people start spewing after a wipe due to mechanics/standing in red. The HM stuff should be for people who want a challenge. And NiM for the really good people. IMHO.)

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    Thanks for responses guys. Is any of the endgame content good story wise? I don't care for mmo gameplay so the only reason for me to experience any of that content would be for story purposes only.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Most of it's pretty perfunctory, just like most group content. The lead-in to Shadow of Revan has non-trivial story that isn't bad however. I can't speak for SoR content since I haven't played it.

The operations provide context, but nothing like the level of story you might be expecting.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    So does anyone have some experience with these security dongle things? Mine seems to have gotten its button stuck or something, it's got a (presumably heavily outdated by now) number generated and it's not clearing.
    :edit: went ahead and decoupled the authenticator from my account under the reasoning that if it starts working again I can re-add it, did they always have an emailed one-time code option for if you've lost your authenticator? That is a handy feature.

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    (Don't tell anyone, but I actually think they should make the Story Mode operations dead easy, so that more people try them out, and complete them, instead of giving up on all group content because of all the abuse that people start spewing after a wipe due to mechanics/standing in red. The HM stuff should be for people who want a challenge. And NiM for the really good people. IMHO.)

I've been saying this forever. Though at least with DF/DP, they dropped the story mode difficulty way down after a couple of weeks. With the Shadow of Revan stuff the story modes started overly difficult for a story mode (in my opinion) and they've never nerfed them, and that's a mistake. Some people really just want to see the content and the story modes are supposed to be there to show it to them. That's why they changed the name to Story Mode to begin with, I thought.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Thanks for responses guys. Is any of the endgame content good story wise? I don't care for mmo gameplay so the only reason for me to experience any of that content would be for story purposes only.

I think that depends on what you mean by End Game.
    Without buying the expansions f2p (read: "Trial", "Demo") and Preferred has 3 operations, with 3 difficulty modes each. Explosive Conflict is one of the better ops in the game, IMO. They each add a little flavor to the lore, and especially EC sets up some of the later operations (and daily planet).
    If you subscribe, or buy the Hut Cartel expansion, you can get to lvl 55, which will give you 4 new operations (also with 3 difficulty modes each). Again, one of them (Terror From Beyond) is IMO one of the best operations in the game. Oricon has some story, and one of the best cut scenes (as you pick up the item in the tower) IMO. The 2 operations that are on Oricon are OK and has some story ... but they're nothing special. Thought the do conclude what EC, TfB and S&V set up.
    If you buy Shadow of Revan you get to level 60, where you get two new operations (with two difficulty modes each), one (1) class story mission, and the top tier PvP.

I really liked some of the Class Missions in SoR, but I can see how some would say they don't justify a purchase.
    Level cap PvP might be the worst of PvP, but lvl 56-59 is probably the best. Still, if I had to choose, I'd still go with lvl 55 over 60.
    The lvl 60 operations have some nice fights, but over all they might be some of the weakest, very much "IMO".

The Class stories (lvl 1-48) are the best Story content of the game.
    I don't think the Rise of the Hutt Cartel stories (one for each faction) are worth playing more than once ... if even that.

tl;dr While some of the SoR class stories are nice, Class stories act 1-3, and maybe some of the (lvl 50-55) operations, should be OK ... for now. 3.2 could change that.
    IMO.

Commodore75 on