As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SWTOR] Outfit designer is out now. Playable Togruta coming on 3.3, late July.

• Options
    Commodore75Commodore75 gothenburg.seRegistered User regular
    I would prefer the first week, but two weeks would solve so many problems.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

Unfortunately I can't quote from work, but Tait in fact didn't specify when, between June 28 and Aug 12, the THORN event would occur, so two weeks sounds reasonable.

If you want to find his "mysterious" post on the subject, just click the Dev tracker on SWTOR.com, it's like the 5th post down.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    So I heard ToR grossed 165m last year. That's nuts. Is the game still really that popular, or were there just a lot of "whales" spending big cash?

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Cambiata wrote: »

Unfortunately I can't quote from work, but Tait in fact didn't specify when, between June 28 and Aug 12, the THORN event would occur, so two weeks sounds reasonable.

If you want to find his "mysterious" post on the subject, just click the Dev tracker on SWTOR.com, it's like the 5th post down.

Link
    Not much more than the "clearly T.H.O.R.N. won't need to return since the Rakghoul Plague has been dealt with *nudge* *nudge*..." from back when, but yeah, everyone expects it to return, and has reason to be disappointed if they were trolling us.
    TaitWatson wrote:
    Jerba wrote:
    There is a suspicious two-week gap without any event between July 29th and August 12th. I wonder what that means...:) :):)
    T.H.O.R.N. would not be amused by the implications of those smilies...

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Bad thing about having 9 55s: I feel obligated to take them all through events when they come up so I can get the reputation.

Good thing about having 9 55s: two more days and I'll have enough rep objects to (eventually) get all the way to Legend with the Gree.

Best thing about having 9 55s: hitting the rep limit so quickly means I won't have to spend as much time in the presence of several dozen..."people"...for whom even ganking doesn't feel enough like trolling.

• Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    So I heard ToR grossed 165m last year. That's nuts. Is the game still really that popular, or were there just a lot of "whales" spending big cash?

The Cartel Market is very profitable for EA. Content is getting released at a crawl, but like clockwork, we get new cartel items.

• Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    There are a couple of new articles up on the main website, and it looks like Manaan is going to be the next major update.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Veagle wrote: »
    There are a couple of new articles up on the main website, and it looks like Manaan is going to be the next major update.

I'm guessing it's a flashpoint, not the whole planet.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    Could be, but the one post mentions opening up a mercantile plaza to ambassadors of the Republic and the Sith, which kinda sounds like a cross-faction hub area.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Best thing about having 9 55s: hitting the rep limit so quickly means I won't have to spend as much time in the presence of several dozen..."people"...for whom even ganking doesn't feel enough like trolling.

You still need to grind it enough that you get enough rep tokens to last you the next two weeks, if you want to reach Legendary, don't you?
    (Or are you almost there already.)

With ~4k left this week, I'm 13k from Legendary. :(

• Options
    Could be, but the one post mentions opening up a mercantile plaza to ambassadors of the Republic and the Sith, which kinda sounds like a cross-faction hub area.

I can do with a new Czerka 198.
    People are expecting all kinds of crazy things (swimming and/or underwater mounts w/ 3d movement...
    I just want a couple of new (non-tactical) flashpoints with story, and a new (smallish) place to explore and take in. Doesn't need to be Oricon in scope, but comparable in size and with two fp instead of ops.

• Options
    AcharenusAcharenus Registered User regular
    Assuran wrote: »
    GnomeTank wrote: »

The Cartel Market is very profitable for EA. Content is getting released at a crawl, but like clockwork, we get new cartel items.

If there were anywhere else I could play a sassy sith inq I'd be there.

but man it's getting hard to justify time spent in swtor let alone sub cost, this dribble of next to no story content...or hell content in general is really disappointing.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Looks like I'll finally be able to jump back in by the end of the year.

After I move, get a place to live, build a computer to handle it at more than "very low" level, get internet and stuff.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2014

You still need to grind it enough that you get enough rep tokens to last you the next two weeks, if you want to reach Legendary, don't you?
    (Or are you almost there already.)

Yup! Did the math.

With four days of daily questing (today will be day 3) on 9 alts, plus doing the one-time mission that you get inside the Gray Secant on all 9, that's more than the total needed rep to go from outsider to legend.

That's not even counting the pvp quests, which I don't do.

Granted you have to be subbed and in a guild with the 10% bonus for that to work, and/or be a loser with no life outside your computer. But I am.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    The 2.9 patch notes for the test server are up. Besides the addition of the next part of the Forged Alliances story and the Strongholds early-access, it also appears they're making Makeb a little easier to go through by lowering the enemy population some and adding some buffing under the plot point of GSI testing out a new Satellite Support Service on the planet. Here's the buffs as they stand so far.
    -Gear is now bolstered to a 156 rating while on Makeb, increasing all stats!
    -When combat is detected, a Medical Probe will be deployed to administer long-lasting, refreshing Kolto, healing you for 2% every 3 seconds while you remain in combat.
    -There is now a 250% boost to exploration Experience while on Makeb.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Was Makeb hard for people or something?

• Options
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Was Makeb hard for people or something?

Compared to all the leveling before that point, I'd say probably. All the other story missions could be done with gear several levels below optimal, on toons a level or two below the level of the mobs. Makeb rquired a little more than that.

(cue "leet" folks replying that Makeb is super easy and people are losers if they have problems with it)

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Makeb was a pain in the rear at a number of points, but mostly due to the sheer quantity of enemies on the map, not to individual battles being difficult. You had to be careful because an Elite could wander into many fights randomly or a knockback could send you into another pack of mobs that you were avoiding.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Oricon is still the worst for that kind of thing.

They should just make all of the quests there heroic so nobody is surprised when they get clobbered by the first story boss they run into.

• Options
    ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Bah, stupid brain. It's giving me a hard time assigning the proper races to my future alts in my little Legacy as I try to keep my weird little head canon straight.

At the moment, the Greyjoy (yes, very "original", I know...) Legacy has its Trooper, Consular, Imperial Agent, and Jedi Knight locked in. Trooper and Consular are brothers, IA was adopted Chiss sister, Knight is a Rattataki ally of the Consular (decided he was probably the one who discovered his force sensitivity and has had his back ever since.)

I've also decided that my future Smuggler will be their obese, Hispanic gunslinger uncle (complete with giant mustache).

And I'm about 95% locked in on making my Inquisitor a Rattataki and also sister of the Knight.

That leaves the Bounty Hunter and Sith Warrior. I'm heavily leaning towards one more Rattataki sibling, with the other being another human/cyborg brother.

But I can't figure out which one should be which.

And it's driving me mad. And I think part of me is tempted, since I already dropped 600 CC for the Knight to be Rattataki, to make the Sith one as well (Rattataki have to be unlocked for Warriors). But do I really want all three of my Rattataki to be force users? Does it make sense that one of the second set of siblings is a willing warrior for the same folks who enslaved his sister? I technically made a human Sith Warrior already, but was never really satisfied with his appearance. And I made a new human in the creator that I loved the look of, but he'd absolutely fit being a BH much more than a Sith, I think.

Clearly, I'm insane. And have basically said "fuck em'" to, like, so many of the possible races in this game.

• Options
    kmzkmz Registered User regular
    Oh my god. So much new crafting in 2.9: http://tor-decorating.com/crafting-prefabs-dark-project/

All those old op mats I vendored thinking they were useless... *Vader noooooooooooooooooooo*

• Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Just finished chapter 1 of the Bounty Hunter story. Spoilers ahead:

The best line of the entire game.
    Jedi master: [Force persuade] "You will lay down your weapons and surrender yourself to the brig."
    *Hunter and Mako look at each other*
    Hunter: *Waves hand* "You will realise what an enourmous idiot you look like."
    So yeah, I am really enjoying the Bounty Hunters apathy to life. Also, I have managed to pick up (Minor companion voice actor spoiler)
    Cyril Figgus from Archer
    as a companion. I can never not use him. We also get along like a house on fire.

Also, everyone dislikes the Consular story. I actually really like it so far, just finished chapter 1. I think I'm actually enjoying it more than the Knights story so far. Tried to play him dark side, but I just couldn't bring myself to be a complete sociopath when the alternative was right there. The better decisions are definitely the "Sacrifice the few, for the many." decisions. My Consular totally gets behind that. And also love is totally ok in his vision.

Though, it's really odd how the council treats the Consular vs the Knight. Like, (Chapter 1 Knight and Consular spoilers)
    the Knight arguably does more for the order. I mean, you save the entire freakin' planet of Tython and yet the Consular is rewarded with the master title? Same with the Barsen'thor title. It makes absolutely no sense to send a Jedi Knight to do what it does in chapter 2 either.

Note: I have just finished Chapter 2 of the Knight, so can't speak further in than that. Kira is an amazing companion, and next to the Warrior equivalent, probably my favourite. Those two companions are very Bastila Shan of KOTOR1, in their ability to decide how they function.

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    I think that for basically every class story, the chapter 1 arc is pretty great. I can't think of any Chapter 1s that aren't fun. The problem ends up being what to do in chapters 2 and 3.

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Unlucky wrote: »
    Just finished chapter 1 of the Bounty Hunter story. Spoilers ahead:

The best line of the entire game.
    Jedi master: [Force persuade] "You will lay down your weapons and surrender yourself to the brig."
    *Hunter and Mako look at each other*
    Hunter: *Waves hand* "You will realise what an enourmous idiot you look like."
    So yeah, I am really enjoying the Bounty Hunters apathy to life. Also, I have managed to pick up (Minor companion voice actor spoiler)
    Cyril Figgus from Archer
    as a companion. I can never not use him. We also get along like a house on fire.

Also, everyone dislikes the Consular story. I actually really like it so far, just finished chapter 1. I think I'm actually enjoying it more than the Knights story so far. Tried to play him dark side, but I just couldn't bring myself to be a complete sociopath when the alternative was right there. The better decisions are definitely the "Sacrifice the few, for the many." decisions. My Consular totally gets behind that. And also love is totally ok in his vision.

Though, it's really odd how the council treats the Consular vs the Knight. Like, (Chapter 1 Knight and Consular spoilers)
    the Knight arguably does more for the order. I mean, you save the entire freakin' planet of Tython and yet the Consular is rewarded with the master title? Same with the Barsen'thor title. It makes absolutely no sense to send a Jedi Knight to do what it does in chapter 2 either.

Note: I have just finished Chapter 2 of the Knight, so can't speak further in than that. Kira is an amazing companion, and next to the Warrior equivalent, probably my favourite. Those two companions are very Bastila Shan of KOTOR1, in their ability to decide how they function.

As far as why (Consular/Knight)
    The Order makes you a Master before Jedi Knight, It's the Obi-Wan Vs. Anakin argument from the PT, actually, and I really like it.

The Jedi Knight does acts of heroisim, but really, a Sith could do the exact same thing for the good of the Republic(or himself).

The Consular goes, "Well, I'm the Jesus in this scenario, might as well get crucified". It's complete self-sacrifice for the good of others, not necessarily the order. It's what the Jedi aspire to be in a nutshell. That's why Consular get's Master far before Jedi Knight. Because you literally embodied all of what a Jedi is supposed to be. You're the ideal, in a nutshell.

• Options
    NWKNWK Registered User regular
    Alternatively, because the Consular has to wear such ridiculous hats they have to throw them a bone.

Steam GW2: Silas.5762
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    And my Jedi Knight was a bloodthirsty hawk and chaotic good who was beyond the leash of the Council.
    So obviously they weren't going to make me a Master, even though people complained in beta and they made Jedi General not a thing which made me sad. So I got Master anyway.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    Corehealer wrote: »
    And my Jedi Knight was a bloodthirsty hawk and chaotic good who was beyond the leash of the Council.
    So obviously they weren't going to make me a Master, even though people complained in beta and they made Jedi General not a thing which made me sad. So I got Master anyway.

Given what happened in the Bounty Hunter storyline, and that their Corellia quests almost certainly happen first,
    I'm disappointed the Knight isn't named the Order's new Battlemaster at the end of Act 3.

• Options

Wonder how much changed since KOTOR 1 then. It would fit rather well.

Given what happened in the Bounty Hunter storyline, and that their Corellia quests almost certainly happen first,
    I'm disappointed the Knight isn't named the Order's new Battlemaster at the end of Act 3.

I would kill maim severly for my Knight to have that title (if it was possible).

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Nocren wrote: »

Wonder how much changed since KOTOR 1 then. It would fit rather well.

I would kill maim severly for my Knight to have that title (if it was possible).

Valor rank 60.

• Options
    That would be the most amazing title for Cambiata.

Battlemaster Commander Shepard.

• Options
    Comradebot wrote: »
    Bah, stupid brain. It's giving me a hard time assigning the proper races to my future alts in my little Legacy as I try to keep my weird little head canon straight.

At the moment, the Greyjoy (yes, very "original", I know...) Legacy has its Trooper, Consular, Imperial Agent, and Jedi Knight locked in. Trooper and Consular are brothers, IA was adopted Chiss sister, Knight is a Rattataki ally of the Consular (decided he was probably the one who discovered his force sensitivity and has had his back ever since.)

I've also decided that my future Smuggler will be their obese, Hispanic gunslinger uncle (complete with giant mustache).

And I'm about 95% locked in on making my Inquisitor a Rattataki and also sister of the Knight.

That leaves the Bounty Hunter and Sith Warrior. I'm heavily leaning towards one more Rattataki sibling, with the other being another human/cyborg brother.

But I can't figure out which one should be which.

And it's driving me mad. And I think part of me is tempted, since I already dropped 600 CC for the Knight to be Rattataki, to make the Sith one as well (Rattataki have to be unlocked for Warriors). But do I really want all three of my Rattataki to be force users? Does it make sense that one of the second set of siblings is a willing warrior for the same folks who enslaved his sister? I technically made a human Sith Warrior already, but was never really satisfied with his appearance. And I made a new human in the creator that I loved the look of, but he'd absolutely fit being a BH much more than a Sith, I think.

Clearly, I'm insane. And have basically said "fuck em'" to, like, so many of the possible races in this game.

I think my Legacy went something like....

Knight and Inquisitor were human brother/sister (or at least cousins) (and some minor Alderrian house that was destroyed when Panteer fell), FemQuis met SithWarrior on the shuttle to Korriban and kinda made an allegiance, and the Chiss Agent spied on FemQuis while she was a slave and discovered that she had Force potential. Pub side, the Cyborg Trooper (managed to name him Rookie-One. But only one person caught the reference.) is a distant cousin (possibly brother to FemQuis) to the Knight, and spending a lot of time on the front lines became distant from his Mirilan wife, who managed to fall in with a crew looking to spice up her boring life before becoming a smuggler in her own right.

Rattataki Merc and Miraluka Consular are kinda the outliers and not really connected.

I had pages of fiction on legacy/family.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Orca wrote: »
    That would be the most amazing title for Cambiata.

Battlemaster Commander Shepard.

Ha I can't believe I never thought of it. Battlemaster is, I'm pretty sure, the title you get at valor rank 60. I already have that on my Guardian, I just need to pvp more often on Cömmander to get her the same rank.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    I have Battlemaster on my characters in WoW. It's literally the only title I ever wore in the game.

If I ever get that in ToR, it'll be the same.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    I have Battlemaster on my characters in WoW. It's literally the only title I ever wore in the game.

Well, I don't know how hard it is to get Battlemaster in WoW these days, but it's really easy to get it in TOR now. It tarnishes some of the prestige, I think.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    Derrick wrote: »

Well, I don't know how hard it is to get Battlemaster in WoW these days, but it's really easy to get it in TOR now. It tarnishes some of the prestige, I think.

Eh, depends on your definition of 'easy'. If you're into PVP, then the amount of pvp necessary to get 60 valor doesn't seem like much. But the grind from 50 to 60 is still pretty long even at that - even the characters I've had since launch and did a lot of early pvp with still only have to 55 valor or so.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Ah, a grind. WoW's was locked behind a smorgesboard of achievements ranging from fairy easy to crazy difficult. Organizing those battles is one of my fondest memories of WoW.

But I digress...

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    I can't figure out what to Google to answer this.

How do you get such pretty\different lightsabre crystals at low levels? I heard something about collections, but I'm a bit confused. Are they infinite? Can you just withdraw them forever, is there a minimum level? Is it a once off purchase with CC?

Fantastic
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Unlucky wrote: »
    I can't figure out what to Google to answer this.

How do you get such pretty\different lightsabre crystals at low levels? I heard something about collections, but I'm a bit confused. Are they infinite? Can you just withdraw them forever, is there a minimum level? Is it a once off purchase with CC?

There are certain crystals that are level 10 with +41 to some statistic; these are available via certain Cartel packs. People who get them will put them up on the Galactic Trade Network where you can purchase them for credits. Once you obtain one, you want to bind it to yourself by putting it in a weapon. Binding the crystal will result in the corresponding crystal unlocking in your collections. This will allow you to withdraw an unlimited number of that crystal on that one character. If you want to withdraw the crystal on other characters, you need to pay Cartel Coins to unlock it for other characters; at that point, you can withdraw unlimited numbers of that crystal on all characters on your account.

You can access your collection by going to your inventory, then hitting the gold Collections button in the lower (left?) corner.

Orca on
  • Options
    In case anyone missed it, the Rakghoul event is live.
    It's not on Alderaan . . . (i.e. new WB)

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    I'm hearing its the original Rakghoul event? Is that true?