As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Moving to Austin - advice gratefully receieved!!

NouseforanameNouseforaname Registered User new member
Hi there,
I'm a 28 year guy from Ireland (Cork) I recently just finished a Post Grad higher diploma in Cloud Computing ( my under grad was in Economics and Sociology) . I am eligible for a one year visa for the states. My destination of choice is Austin , I love the outdoors and sports in general( climbing , soccer , swimming, cycling, jogging) and Mexican food. I have a couple of questions if you wouldn't mind taking the time to answer them it would be very much appreciated:)
I would like to live in a laid back area of the city , I'm a hippy at heart and am thinking the South-side of Austin, could you recommend specific areas that would be a chilled pace to live where rent wouldn't be daylight robbery!? What type of money would it be for a one bedroom apartment that isn't overly cramped?
Can you recommend any good jobs websites? I am currently working with VMware in a tech support role. So I wold be looking for IT/Sales/Administration jobs.
If you have any tips for someone that is new to town I would be very grateful ( Do's and Don'ts etc)...

• Not MandatoryNot Mandatory Registered User regular
    It sounds like you made the right choice in picking Austin. Have you been to the city before? I am just curious how you came to the (well-informed) decision.

First of all, the summers are HOT. That is the most important thing you need to know. If you can stand heat, you'll be okay. I couldn't stand the heat (having grown up here) and had to move. I'm here right now and am utterly terrified of the upcoming summer. I'll need to flee again soon!

In-city is getting pretty expensive. South Austin used to be the chill/affordable/artistic part of town, then came the condos. There might be a lucky find among the condos, but on the whole, prices have gone up in that area because it is where everyone goes to have the "real" Austin experience.

The East side (east of IH35) has seen a resurgence and is still affordable to those without a six figure income. It has historically been the Hispanic part of town, but is slowly becoming gentrified. There are still tons of great Mexican food joints along with the hipsters. I think it would be your best best. My guess (very much a guess!) would be around $900 for a one bedroom?

As for outdoor activities - the Greenbelt (off Zilker Park, just south of downtown) is a nice place to hike/bike/rock climb in town. There is also a trail around Town Lake for straight up walking. Austin is a friendly city - you could meet someone at REI or Whole Foods and end up going on a camping trip with them outside the city the next day. Talk to people. Spend time around Town Lake, campus, and coffee shops. You will make a lot of connections if you are open to it.

I do not know of any job sites, but Dell was founded here, so it is a tech friendly city. You shouldn't have too much trouble finding a job with your qualifications. Once again, talk to people.

Sorry if that wasn't much help other than confirming that I think you'll do fine here. If you are looking to travel at all during that year, though - be warned. It takes 2ish days to get out of Texas by ground transportation and the scenery is flat and lifeless the entire way out. You could take the Amtrak or fly, but it will be a coin or two. Big Bend National Park and northern New Mexico are the closest places I like to travel to that are near Austin - and they are not nearby.

• Mad JazzMad Jazz gotta go fast AustinRegistered User regular
    One thing I forgot to mention in my PM is that Enchanted rock is ~2 hours away (great trad climbing, some sport, a bit of bouldering, all on coarse granite), and Hueco Tanks is ~8.5 hours, and that's the best bouldering on the planet. You've also got Reimers Ranch a little over an hour away or various walls in the green belt for limestone sport climbing.

camo_sig2.png
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Mineral Wells isn't too far off either for some good top rope climbing as well.

It always weirds me out that I was raised in El Paso (next to Hueco Tanks) and never even heard of bouldering or climbing. Not much of a community there it seems.

• DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    What do you mean by "hippie"? Cause I'd say there's nothing particularly hippie about south austin anymore.

Affordability is directly related to ease of commute to the city center.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I am directly next to UT campus, just on the eastside of 35, and the rent for a 2 bedroom is ~$900/mo. I live with a couple so rent split three ways is very affordable. There are also houses for rent if you can find 3 other people to sign a lease with you. Roommates are the way to go, a one bedroom is still $700 or more a month. Be warned, traffic can be a nightmare sometimes. Lots of great places to eat and drink. Luckily it's also a very dog and cat friendly area too, pretty lax breed restrictions in my complex.

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Live as near as you can to your job, unless you work downtown. Which side of the river you live on may have a considerable impact on who you are friends with or how often you see them. How are your allergies?

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I live in Round Rock but work in South Austin. I'll second living near your job, because traffic in Austin sucks.