As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Poker anyone (and not the Stip Club Expo type

crimsonjestercrimsonjester Registered User regular
edited August 2004 in PAX Archive
What about the idea of having an old fashion poker table going during PAX?

crimsonjester on

• Evil Right Wing HenchmanEvil Right Wing Henchman Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Yes PLZ

Evil Right Wing Henchman on
  • RedBeastMageRedBeastMage Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Well, we wouldn't be able to play for cash, because there would have to be a gambling licesense to do that i believe, and without cash, there is no reason to play poker.

RedBeastMage on
    I swear, I'm retiring from any game with the word 'Revolution" in the title. I must be the only person who breathed a sigh of relief at not being called for the Omegathon this year.
  • QuizMasterQuizMaster Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Bah, you can play poker with anyone at any time. I plan to enjoy that which will only happen once in a lifetime.

QuizMaster on
  • FallFall Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    There was talk of a Hold'em tournament a month or so back, let's see if we can get the specifics nailed down. A free tournament with no buy in is not considered gambling so it'd be on the up and up.

I know playing in a casual poker tournament is a lot more fun than any kind of console or PC tournament due to the level of interaction with the other players. Someone get on this!

Fall on
  • RickPowersRickPowers Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    If someone wants to hold a Texas Hold 'Em tournament, I'll be happy to clean you all out. They don't let me play in my usual groups anymore.

RickPowers on
    Rick Powers
    IT Director, Senior Editor
    Planet GameCube
    http://www.planetgamecube.com
    edited August 2004
    By "your usual groups" I assume you mean playing with Play Money on PartyPoker.com against Soccer Moms who enjoy poker since they think the player avatars are cute.

Here's the previous thread on Tourney Hold'em: http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=57847&highlight=poker

Antillese, you still up for running the tournament? I know I'd like to see one. Tourney Hold'em is far different than in a ring game, and even more different when you're playing with complete strangers. Hold'em is the most fun I've had at large gaming events, so hopefully Antillese is still up for handling this.

Fall on
  • TrainwreckXTrainwreckX Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    I'm up for helping with organization, but I think there should be a prize for some fellow who ends up with all the chips (and 2nd and 3rd).

TrainwreckX on
    edited August 2004
    It was already stated that Penny Arcade would give this tournament "official" status (with prizes for first, second, and third) just as long as someone would help with the organization of it.

Fall on
    edited August 2004
    I'll help if that other guy doesn't pull through

TrainwreckX on
  • WhitePantherWhitePanther Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    I'd be interested, but it's a matter of timing. I would like to attend the Soul Calibur and Smash tournaments (although I imagine I won't have to stay long for either. ^_^) Anyway, what time are we thinking about?

WhitePanther on
    edited August 2004
    This is entertainment late at night i believe

TrainwreckX on
  • RickPowersRickPowers Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Fall wrote:
    By "your usual groups" I assume you mean playing with Play Money on PartyPoker.com against Soccer Moms who enjoy poker since they think the player avatars are cute.

Here's the previous thread on Tourney Hold'em: http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=57847&highlight=poker

Antillese, you still up for running the tournament? I know I'd like to see one. Tourney Hold'em is far different than in a ring game, and even more different when you're playing with complete strangers. Hold'em is the most fun I've had at large gaming events, so hopefully Antillese is still up for handling this.

By my "usual groups", I mean the cash games I play in, and eventually get kicked out of. I was playing Hold 'Em and Omaha before it was "en voguge". I'm probably not tournament caliber, but I'm good enough that people usually don't let me play for long.

Count me in for any tournament.

RickPowers on
    Rick Powers
    IT Director, Senior Editor
    Planet GameCube
    http://www.planetgamecube.com
  • Thug LifeThug Life Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Poker would be lots of fun, moreso then video games. I think we should gamble with money, cuz its no fun without. But seeing as most people have no money we could play with quarters or something.

Thug Life on
    gretzky_cup1984.jpg
    edited August 2004
    Skill in poker only goes so far. Lots of luck, and lots of statistics. The skill is in how good you are at lying. At least in Hold 'Em

TrainwreckX on
  • BorfaseBorfase __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2004
    dude, let's play strip poker back at the hotel

we need ladies

and booze

Borfase on
    duhhhh i like spaghetti-o's lolz
    edited August 2004
    Borfase wrote:
    dude, let's play strip poker back at the hotel

we need ladies

and booze

We are gamers. GL

TrainwreckX on
  • NintoNinto Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    I work for an online poker gaming company (can't say which one) and would be willing to help this process, either by dealing or by helping organize, if needed.

2 main questions:

Where to do it? We need several big tables, and volunteer dealers.
    Where to get chips? We can use several things...

This might be better if someone volunteered their hotel room and held an 'underground' game for real cash...

Ninto on
  • Valkyrie FDValkyrie FD Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    I am defiantly up for Texas Hold'em (watch out I am a Texan!) and there is already talk that we can pull it in the hotel rooms if it doesnt pan out! Let me know about this, this only other thing i am doing for sure is playing in the r63:ba tourny and watching the sc tourny!

Valkyrie FD on
    FD_sig_Valkyrie.jpg
  • morosemorose Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    I've been known to lose copious amounts of cash playing NL Texas Hold 'Em a time or two. Might be up for some casual play if it was organized at night.

morose on
  • Thug LifeThug Life Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Booze has gotta be there, if we can get enough ladies we can make it strip poker. I have some chips I can bring if this is gonna happen.

Thug Life on
    gretzky_cup1984.jpg
    edited August 2004
    yes. strip poker.

Borfase on
    edited August 2004
    Seriously guys... while most folks here *have* probably had the fantasy of mixing gaming, booze, and sex... you don't have to try and work all three into every possible situation. ;) Try Vegas if you really need that combo. It's definitely a cheaper trip than PAX if that's your main goal.

morose on
    edited August 2004
    morose wrote:
    Seriously guys... while most folks here *have* probably had the fantasy of mixing gaming, booze, and sex... you don't have to try and work all three into every possible situation. ;) Try Vegas if you really need that combo. It's definitely a cheaper trip than PAX if that's your main goal.
    you're not invited

Borfase on
    edited August 2004
    Fair enough. ;)

morose on
  • NintoNinto Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Ok then, casual hotel room game it is.

We're staying at the doubletree, anyone else into poker staying there?

Ninto on
  • stabn_stabn_ Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    I've got a chipset i can bring that's good enough for one table. I'll bring it with my PC just in case it's needed.

stabn_ on
    Slytherin Headboy: Order of the Phoenix!