As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Game of Thrones: It's not Books, It's HBO (NO BOOKS!)

AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk!The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
Game of Thrones is a hit fantasy drama airing on HBO and based on NOTHING IN PARTICULAR AT ALL. Set in the mythical realm of Westeros, a land where seasons can last a lifetime, the only person you can trust is yourself and maybe not even then, where magic is being reborn, and where all men must die.

We follow a variety of characters across an epic story. In the aftermath of a mysterious death, the realms of men are drawn into a great conflagration as the nobles of the world play the game of thrones. Meanwhile, the last scion of a former ruler undergoes a transformative journey to reclaim her family's birthright and in the far reaches of the continent an ancient evil awakens that may spell the end of it all.

JreoqoPl.jpg

In this thread we will discuss this show and our feelings about it.

The purpose of this thread is to give show watchers an avenue for discussion that isn't poisoned by those of us ubernerds who know how to read. If you'd like to talk about book spoilers, there's an app for that, but talk about <REDACTED> or <MISSING LINE> or <EXPLITAVE DELETED> in here and that's a paddlin'.

Spoiler Policy: Pretty standard stuff, current season and future episodes should get spoiler tags (meaning not only hide them behind the cut but label them as well) while seasons 1-3 will be fair game. Once season four ends we'll go ahead and open up that for discussion after a little bit of a grace period.

Special Note to Cross Threaders: Most of us can participate in both threads without being geese. Some of us can't. If you just can't help but post a leading theory or snarky remark about an episode that's about to air the rest of us book readers will deal with you faster than Walder Frey dealt with Dany in the Battle of the Stony Shore (just kidding, that's not a thing guys. Though if it ever is, called it!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZY43QSx3Fk

So enjoy, remember, Winter is Coming.

Lh96QHG.png

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Book policy (hat tip to @Comradebot):
    usatthebiglead.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/joffery-chops-up-the-book.gif?w=1000

edit- check your gif sizes, kids. My bad.

Bobble on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    hKiqlUt.png

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Is the same artist doing all those? They have similar styles but the website has a submit button if I'm not mistaken. Also that one's awesome.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Bobble wrote: »
    [img]http://usatthebiglead.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/joffery- chops-up-the-book.gif?w=1000[/img]

I love that even in this short clip, Cersei manages to illustrate what a crazy bitch she is. Even Tywin looks taken aback, but Cersei is smiling smugly, going all "That's my boy".

Lena Headey is a fantastic actress.

Jacobkosh on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    Maisie Williams did a Q&A. It's safe for show only people too.

Best question and response
    Q
    What are some flaws or redeeming qualities you think you an Arya have in common?

A
    Maisie Williams says:
    We both like chicken! We both see more to life than living up to other people's expectations. I don't have to be making a lot of money or living in a fancy house. If I'm happy then I'll do whatever, so that's similar to Arya. We both have family as our main goal in life. My family are the epicenter of all my decisions.

It's cool to see that the actors keep up with the popular memes we get from the show.

LostNinja on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Is the same artist doing all those? They have similar styles but the website has a submit button if I'm not mistaken. Also that one's awesome.
    There's also fan art, which ranges from vaguely credible to 4chan

I would have gone with Ser Dontos. That was a much bigger death in my house (my wife yelled Oh No!)

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Haha what the hell?
    The costume process because we shoot in Belfast, I wear two layers of thermals, skin colored socks, my trousers, my costume top and my jacket thing and my belt and sword and I have a massive neck rag. The neck rag sounds like a scarf but every morning I have to get stitched into it. And then I wear boots...Arya Stark is a trendsetter!

Like...what?

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Haha what the hell?
    The costume process because we shoot in Belfast, I wear two layers of thermals, skin colored socks, my trousers, my costume top and my jacket thing and my belt and sword and I have a massive neck rag. The neck rag sounds like a scarf but every morning I have to get stitched into it. And then I wear boots...Arya Stark is a trendsetter!

Like...what?

Women be shoppin'

Costuming is full of all kinds of insane shit like. Didn't 7 of 9 have to be vacuum sealed inside her original costume?

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    for things like scarves they can't just toss it around their necks, because while it won't be noticeable on set, from scene to scene in the final product it'll end up moving around like crazy and be noticeable. So instead they just have to do crazy stuff like that so that it'll never move out of position

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    It fits quite tightly around her neck and they probably sew it shut so that there aren't any weird buttons or snaps that accidentally show up in shots.

season4-05.jpg

It's not really a scarf anyways

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    sometimes it's a continuity thing

I was on a thing where this lady's scarf was rock hard and incapable of really moving, so the folds wouldn't be different in reverse shots and shit.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    frighteningly relevant gif

http://i.imgur.com/RkxjlGW.gif

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Of course it's not mere books, it's the Harrenhall Book Outlet, for all your book needs! Prices so low, you'll hang yourself to offload your gold to our proprietors!

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Of course it's not mere books, it's the Harrenhall Book Outlet, for all your book needs! Prices so low, you'll hang yourself to offload your gold to our proprietors!

if you require help hanging yourself please see one of our highly trained sales assistants, who will be only too happy to help.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »

if you require help hanging yourself please see one of our highly trained sales assistants, who will be only too happy to help.

Do you guys have like, a section of religious books? Or history books? The only books I see on your shelves are murder mysteries.

By the same author.... Clegor Gregane? Seriously?

• Options
    BarberismBarberism Registered User regular
    No book spoilers? You're just chickens.
    1274279.jpg?w=490&h=276

"Be excellent to each other."
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    Aw, but <REDACTED> is the best part of book <CLEARS THROAT>, I can't wait to discuss it with all those internets.
    Wraith260 wrote: »

Do you guys have like, a section of religious books? Or history books? The only books I see on your shelves are murder mysteries.

By the same author.... Clegor Gregane? Seriously?

Still a better disguise than Clark Kent's glasses...

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Bliss 101 wrote: »

I love that even in this short clip, Cersei manages to illustrate what a crazy bitch she is. Even Tywin looks taken aback, but Cersei is smiling smugly, going all "That's my boy".

Lena Headey is a fantastic actress.

Good point. Though I reckon Tywin isn't so much shocked as exercising good safety. Look at his face and barely anything moves. His body is recoiling from a sword attack. His experience tells him just how dangerous swords are, so he'll push as far back as possible while also retaining some decorum.

I reckon if you pointed out to him that Cersei was the ballsier one, his response would be something like, "No, just more clueless."

Musicool on
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    So, I wish I had the time and know how to make a music video of Tyrion set to the Christian Death cover of Sex Dwarf. Because it would blow minds. And you could intersperse that bit with Charles Dance from Da Ali G Movie.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    The characters of Season One, Episode One. And their current status:

Eddard 'Ned' Stark - Dead
    Robert Baratheon - Dead
    Jaime Lannister - Left-handed
    Catelyn Stark - Dead
    Cersei Lannister - Drunk
    Daenerys Targaryen - Still not in Westeros
    Jorah Mormont - Still not in Dani's pants
    Viserys Targaryen - Dead
    Jon Snow - Single again!
    Sansa Stark - Safe and sound and nothing bad will ever happen to her again.
    Arya Stark - Making a list.
    Robb Stark - Dead
    Theon Greyjoy - Reeks.
    Bran Stark - Broken back.
    Joffrey Baratheon - Dead.
    Sandor 'The Hound' Clegane - Alive, but keep in mind Arya's list above.
    Tyrion Lannister - Accused of kinslaying, kingslaying.
    Maester Luwin - Dead
    Jory Cassel - Dead
    Rodrik Cassel - Dead
    Benjen Stark - M.I.A.
    Illyrio Mopatis - Alive.
    Qotho - Dead
    Ros - Dead
    Septa Mordane - Dead
    Will - Dead
    Jon Arryn - Dead
    Waymar Royce - Dead
    Gared - Dead
    Rickon Stark - Alive
    Tommen Baratheon - Alive
    Myrcella Baratheon - Alive
    Khal Drogo - Dead
    Hodor - Hodor

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    Musicool wrote: »
    I reckon if you pointed out to him that Cersei was the ballsier one, his response would be something like, "No, just more clueless."

Regardless of this, I suspect Cersei's "That's my boy" was more specifically her taking pleasure in seeing her son disrespect Tyrion. As opposed to him just being pure psycho.

I know ,semantics.

• Options
    QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    Admit it, you made that list just to put "Kinslaying, Kingslaying" together.

NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I'm kind of let down that the list didn't include "Defenestrated"...

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I watched the first three episodes in a binge. I really think that's the way to watch this show.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Especially at the beginning of seasons, I think that definitely makes sense; the season starters tend to be very bitty, catching up with all the characters and their stories. They can almost feel like extended "Previously on"s. Once the season plot arc kicks in, though, I'd say that most episodes are reasonably self-contained for a heavily serialised series.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Thirith wrote: »
    Especially at the beginning of seasons, I think that definitely makes sense; the season starters tend to be very bitty, catching up with all the characters and their stories. They can almost feel like extended "Previously on"s. Once the season plot arc kicks in, though, I'd say that most episodes are reasonably self-contained for a heavily serialised series.

I think it's kinda odd they structure them that way, though, considering how small the episode orders are each season, but I guess it all works out in the end.

I applaud Weiss & co.'s acknowledgment that they really need to start paring down the various plotlines to inject some momentum back into the show.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    It works pretty well for me, but then I find most of the character interesting, more so than the plot. I'd rather hang out with the likes of Tyrion, Tywin, Oleanna Tyrell etc. than spend a whole hour moving Jon Snow's or Dany's plot forward.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    It works pretty well for me, but then I find most of the character interesting, more so than the plot. I'd rather hang out with the likes of Tyrion, Tywin, Oleanna Tyrell etc. than spend a whole hour moving Jon Snow's or Dany's plot forward.

I see what you're saying, and I mostly agree, as long as it's more development than just five minutes in a cloud of dust. There's too much going on right now for any one plot to take center stage for too long. I'm glad they're hopefully gonna whittle some of that down.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Quical wrote: »

Should add 'kin-laying' to the list.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular

We're talking about Tyrion not Jaime.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »

We're talking about Tyrion not Jaime.

Sooooooo kin-playing?

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    3pSAfCg.gif

• Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Atomika wrote: »

I see what you're saying, and I mostly agree, as long as it's more development than just five minutes in a cloud of dust. There's too much going on right now for any one plot to take center stage for too long. I'm glad they're hopefully gonna whittle some of that down.

I'm finding it very difficult to care about the Bran and Jon Snow storylines. Bran in particular. Jon Snow is a mildly interesting character, I guess, and easy on the eyes, but he's just not doing anything to make me care about what happens to him. Even the whole Ygritte romance was a bit meh (and illustrated how boring Jon Snow is, as Ygritte was immediately far more interesting). The Bran storyline just makes me groan every time they switch to it. Its only redeeming feature is Hodor, now that the wildling woman is gone, and there isn't enough Hodor!

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Bran's storyline is incredibly boring. It's a "mythology mystery", meaning all that is happening is the characters are peeling back layers of meaning and mystery in the mythology and setting of the story itself.

JJ Abrams is fond of this style of storytelling (all of Lost, the latter seasons of Alias, most of Fringe) and it bores me to tears even if, like in the case of Westerns, I like the setting.

"that only raises further questions!" gets tiresome fast.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

Oh yeah. Rereading the list, those are under Tyrion.
    Well ummm, Shae is somebody's kin?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    I would have gone with Ser Dontos.

Such an amazing line from Littlefinger though
    "A bag of gold will buy a man's silence for a time, but a bolt through the heart will buy it forever."

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    I would have gone with Ser Dontos.

Such an amazing line from Littlefinger though
    "A bag of gold will buy a man's silence for a time, but a bolt through the heart will buy it forever."

he obviously adheres to the terry Pratchett school of philosophy.
    :Build a man a fire and he's warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

• Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    JJ Abrams is fond of this style of storytelling (all of Lost, the latter seasons of Alias, most of Fringe) and it bores me to tears even if, like in the case of Westerns, I like the setting.

Bran makes his way past the wall. For some bizarre reason he is captured by the wights instead of killed and taken to an ancient keep. There he is eventually visited by the White Walker Leader

White Walker : "We are the good guys, Bran"

• Options
    Egos wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »

Bran makes his way past the wall. For some bizarre reason he is captured by the wights instead of killed and taken to an ancient keep. There he is eventually visited by the White Walker Leader

White Walker : "We are the good guys, Bran"

That's kinda how I feel about everything, really.

There's so few sides or people to root for in this show it's unreal.

This discussion has been closed.