As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ARMA 3 - PA JOE -or- "Let's play army men."

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    I can't stop thinking about Patlabor now.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    I think that one is different than the giant robo mod @mojojoeo‌ tried out on the server.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I played around with this mod a bit.

Still a work in progress, but some things to note,

The top speed of one of these Wanzers while running is about 50-60kph. Which isn't all that fast, I'm fine with that speed. However their "dashing" speed is easily over 170kph and I'm not sure I even reached the cap.

If I were to use these for custom missions or what-have-you I think I'd remove the dash function.

Currently the OCU's Kyojun has several variants ranging from more close quarters to long range guided rocket carrier (basically covers all the types from the game). The USN's Frost has one or two variants.

You switch between the weapons effortlessly with the 'F' key.

I full on tackled another Wanzer and knocked us both to the ground. It took a little effort, but I was able to get back up. :P

Seeing these things walk around from an infantryman's perspective is really impressive and somehow feels more "oh shit" worthy than an enemy tank rolling in to town.

All in all I really like the idea of mech/tanks/infantry combined arms though for something like this I'd prefer the patlabors/arm slaves/wanzers over Battletech Mechs. Mainly because of their size. I like the two-story-ish sized mechs moving along side tanks and such.

And for those not in the know, the OCU is Australia/ Japan (plus various other nations from the area) and USN is 'Merica (North and South).

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Are there any infantry weapons that'll damage wanzers?

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    IvanIssacsIvanIssacs Skull Leader SDF-1Registered User regular
    Veritechs when? I would love to fly around in a Valkyrie.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Taranis wrote: »
    Are there any infantry weapons that'll damage wanzers?

Oh yeah totally. Traditional AT and RPG weapons will work. 3-4 shots it seems depending on where you hit. I'll have to test more, but I am pretty sure one good hit to an arm will disable that weapon.

About 2 shots from a tank will do the trick too.

I also know the wanzer with the SMG looking weapon does squat against a tank. Though it is really effective against infantry, light vehicles, and helicopters. Whereas the other ones aren't all the hot in engaging infantry/aircraft, but excel in fighting tanks/wanzers.

edit- They're surprisingly balanced. For the most part they're just more maneuverable tanks with a variety of weapon systems. If you get caught out in the open by two tanks, you're probably toast. In a city though? The odds favor you.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    XOCentricXOCentric Registered User regular
    Alright guys, its that time again. After the spill-over from last month, the server is shy 24EUR.

I haven't done the ARMA thing for a while now, and it seems like interest in PA JOE has waned again in favour of other shinies.

Is anyone still playing or should I let the server die?

steam: xo_centric uplay: xocentric
  • Options
    I've been bugging @mojojoeo‌ from time to time. I've not lost interest, myself.

• Options
    JagetoJageto Registered User regular
    I would still be down for more PA Joe action. Some of the most fun I've had in ARMA.

Steam: Kaguto
    Origin: Kaguto
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Alternatively, the night crew have gotten ourselves a slim little 8 man server at $16 a month. Given the interest level doesn't seem to be high enough to warrant a huge server count and we play late anyway, I'd be happy to kick it open to y'all as well.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I know it's not entirely the right place to ask, but is anyone here still playing Arma 2? I'm asking because I'm looking for people to join our informal group that plays Operation Arrowhead and especially the Cold War Rearmed 2 mod on Saturdays every two weeks at 4pm (UK time). If anyone's interested, drop me a PM.

And if this is deemed the completely wrong place to ask, my apologies. I'll be in that Strider driving away at high velocity. Feel free to RPG me.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Oh hey, I'd be up for some Arma of any flavor since that timezone works just fine for me.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Cool - I'll send you a PM with the details!

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    So this might end up great - BIS released a bunch of resources from the previous games, and people are working to port that to Arma 3 with all its features, such as modular weapons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AFebIotSOE

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Woah woah?! they are going back to weapons that require aim? What a novel idea. I Understand that tech means war becomes very killy, but it sucks the fun out of games. CoD4 was about the extent of where I wanted tech to be in games. Drones for info and manually aimed weapons. heat seeking weapons being rare and only really for attacking aircraft

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    Was talking about that A10 (...whatever the future model in Arma 3 is called) HUD mod that puts boxes around anything you can lock on to. Like, that's old tech right now.

• Options
    Yeah, every modern US infantry squad has a javelin, which are fire-and-forget.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    yea i know, i wasnt trying to be too snarky. I'm just saying that when it comes down to it, all the super killy weapons of the future don't make for fun times. as fuck awesome as this is:
    zf1gd9.jpg

it wouldn't be fun to play against it. because as soon as it nipped you with one bullet, all the others go there

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    Ra's Al PearceRa's Al Pearce "When im in command, every mission is a suicide mission!" - Zap Brannigan Registered User regular
    Anyone still playing ? I haven't played Arma in some time and im interested to dust off the cob webs. Send me a msg.

• Options
    XOCentricXOCentric Registered User regular
    I am thinking of crow-funding the rental of a slim 12 slot server to run Zeus missions again.

There is one available from a hosting service for $30 CAD/mo. It has a similar clan-payment system to the last one where members can pitch in to a secure page to keep the rental costs covered.

I would like the set up to have a bit more story and succession than last time with dual-zeus hosting.

My intent is to have:

- 2 Zeus moderators during missions
    - 8 Players playing the BLUFOR (not necessarily NATO based)
    - 2 Players playing Independants with completely different goals.
    - Alternate missions based around the point of view of the Independants.

Is there any interest in this?

steam: xo_centric uplay: xocentric
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Oh shit we might be playing again?

I got a new video card not too long ago, so I might be able to play things at more than 10FPS :D

I would totally be down for more murdering more Joes.

• Options
    nefffffffffffnefffffffffff Registered User regular
    I never got very good at this game, and I'm super busy trying to change careers, but I might be into it.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    yea i know, i wasnt trying to be too snarky. I'm just saying that when it comes down to it, all the super killy weapons of the future don't make for fun times. as fuck awesome as this is:
    zf1gd9.jpg

it wouldn't be fun to play against it. because as soon as it nipped you with one bullet, all the others go there

All clan weapons should have a little red button on the bottom of the barrel.

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    Did someone say Armymans?

I think I heard @XOCentric say Armymans!

• Options
    Willie V.Willie V. Gama Boston, MassRegistered User regular
    Wanted to know if anyone will be at BYOC at PAX East 2015.....looking to play on the floor Friday & Saturday all day & night!!!

• Options
    Doctor DeimosDoctor Deimos Registered User regular
    Anybody feel like playing this weekend?

• Options
    god I just wish I had the time to do this. I liked it when we played missions a year ago, I just don't have the time to put stuff together.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    Hey! I actually have time to do PA arma 3 again if we want to. Finally done with this stupid big project that spanned multiple months.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    Hey all, if you still play ARMA3, the Marksmen DLC just dropped. This would mean that all parts of the ARMA3 DLC bundle are now available.

A little point about ARMA's dlc distribution system:

The actual DLC you are buying are a few karts, a couple helicopters, 5 rifles and 2 LMGs. Yes, that's not a lot for a 30$ bundle.
    The key point about this DLC stuff is that Bohemia did not want to segregate its playerbase. All the physics and actions that were introduced when helicopters and Marksmen came out are available to everyone, and I think its noble of Bohemia to want to keep everyone able to play in the same server.

You can still be a passenger or a side-gunner in those 2 choppers, you can still mount your rifle on a rock wall or side of a building, you can shoot out of vehicles.
    Another biggie. all numerical keys and F keys are now BINDABLE

I see this purchase (now that all parts of it are available) as a ''Good Job Done" for Bohemia in continuing to tweak Arma3 and to also continue tweaking it in the future.
    Maybe they will add more maps or terrain/building sets to the game, tweak vehicles, medical, or radios, etc. or just more netcoding efficiency.

My stance follows Dsylexci's from a while back.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh3webkCo4Y

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    I've heard they even implemented bipods!

Might pick this up when I get paid, especially if the bipod functionality actually works like it should.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Yes, bipods have been implemented, and they work.

When you rest a weapon without a bipod, it still kicks a little bit, as it should, because your hand or the circular barrel.
    By using a unipod or bipod, its much more stable with high rate of fire weapons, and even the kick of long arms is down to an acceptable degree.

the big thing for me is I have my number key row and F keys for buttons now. I've bound it to 1, 2, and 3 are Main Weapon, Side Arm, Secondary weapon, 5 is binocs or designator, etc. and its multifunctioned so that I press 1 multiple times and it cycles between modes of my Main Weapon (undersling Grenade launchers are considered part of a weapon, not a secondary weapon, keep that in mind)

but for stuff like aircraft and choppers where you hate cycling between all your functions for your proper weapon system, you can start with attacking with a Gau, press 2 for rockets to spam a couple, then back to Gau if you want to continue with the bullet rain in a very narrow space of time.

(I will admit we still need an Open Door I Am Facing Button. But ACE3 and CQB-M are mods that are putting such a button in... still, Bohemia should have been on top of this...)

Dsylexci again...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ECG0nWXwOE

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    Wouldn't mind seeing Dsylexci making more weapon videos. This one is pretty peculiar though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWjKx2wlgKs

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Thanks to Dslexci's videos I just sort of found out this game existed.

Playing this in an organized group like his seems pretty incredible.

Doesn't seem like we have much of a community here PA wise though, eh? I guess I would need to hunt around on the internet. Co-op seems more interesting to me that vs, I mostly find the whole team work, coordination aspect to be really appealing, and it seems easier to lean into playing realistically when you aren't worried about being competitive against other players.

• Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    We had some interest and even a Zeus game going at one point. I think the crippling issue was that the responsibility of maintaining server costs fell on one person. I'm very interested in getting that going again, but the only one with the know how that I'm aware of is @XOCentric and I believe he'll take some convincing.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    @mojojoeo Come back to us Mojo, get the Band back together.

• Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    I run a server. People I like would be welcome.

• Options
    I'm down for some more Arma 3 again soon.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    @Arthil

cobra missions were fun, dumb stupid fun. maybe over the summer we get something going?

Too much ff, gta, state of decay:YOSE, bf 4 bf hardline and so on. No time for Er-ma.

is marksman worth the cost?

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    The Summoning worked! Summer Army Man's would be awesome.

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    I hear the summons!

Play army men? In summer? This sounds like a good idea. Hell, maybe I'll learn how to actually fly helicopters :D