As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

BUTTONEERING - #ButtonRadar is enabled! Look for the info in the OP.

• Options
    etherealvisionetherealvision Registered User regular
    I have 6 designs this year to spread between Everfree Northwest and Pax Prime. The code today expired early, and I need to hire NOW for Everfree so I think I'm going to have to pay full price :(

Let there be games!
  • Options
    draklandraklan Chocobo in time the Frosty North... mmm FrostingRegistered User regular
    ok now that i have my PAX Badges confirmed i need to think on my button design

• Options
    LadyBeeLadyBee Vancouver BCRegistered User regular
    Pax badges are confirmed!

Now to figure out what kind of buttons to make my buttons out of this year. I really liked the wood buttons from last year.

Yay, Nay?

Buttoneer
    Slytherin OotP HeadGirl.
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    LadyBee wrote: »
    Pax badges are confirmed!

Now to figure out what kind of buttons to make my buttons out of this year. I really liked the wood buttons from last year.

Yay, Nay?

Those wood buttons were fantastic. I don't think anyone would complain to see those again.

Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
    I think I'm going to jump in and do this this year. Since I missed PAX for the first time in five years last year for the birth of my 2nd daughter, buttoneering seems like a fun way to celebrate being back.

• Options
    Sleepy KittySleepy Kitty Registered User regular
    Tickets purchased ( thanks to hubby who stayed awake when he should have been sleeping ) basic design is thought of , but I have to figure out what little extra's to put on and where , this should keep be busy for a few weeks ...

• Options
    soozerellasoozerella Registered User regular
    So excited to participate in the buttoneering this year! I think about it every year but never get my act together in time. I had lots of opportunity to brainstorm designs while hanging out in the registration anticipation thread & F5ing, and I was lucky enough to snag a badge, so I think this is finally my year. :)

PAX Prime attendee: '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, and soon to be '16
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Well, I think I've settled on themes. Now I just need to set up proper 16 bit era cart templates.

BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    For those of you who care, my daughter (whose Halloween costumes have been my buttons for the past few years) is coming with me this year. And, of course, she's joining Buttoneering.

Now I have to figure out if I still have an easy design by using her, or if she wants to take over that one. :D

• Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    Since this is my first, and likely only trip to pax, I would like to participate in as many forum activities as possible. So I will be participating in this. I hope that's okay.

• Options
    Since this is my first, and likely only trip to pax, I would like to participate in as many forum activities as possible. So I will be participating in this. I hope that's okay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4Dc-J_mD7c

• Options
    Rhea_starstormRhea_starstorm Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Excited for my first year of buttoneering!!!

• Options
    YamaraYamara Registered User regular
    I still have a bunch of Betty Boop from last year, so I'm thinking a small run this year. My husband suggested Carmen San Diego. Unless I think of something appropriate to pair with Betty, that is.

We want strategy board game testers! Check out Paiko's Indie Game thread.
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Sadly I don't have any mini-memes I can associate with my online presence nor a recognizable constant avatar.

I'm debating doing a series where I have characters from other tv shows in the Game of Thrones verse. Which seems kinda neat. My only worry is that book readers will spoil me. As I'm just a tv show watcher

(granted I've been spoiled on a few things, but hardly everything)

edit: I'm kinda into graphic design could come up with something cool and random but I want to do something a tad cooler than just randomness. Do people think this would be much of an issue? Or like 1 in 100 chance. Like mostly it would just be "hey want to trade to a button?" done and done. Suspect it would be that but a bit paranoid

Egos on
  • Options
    Egos wrote: »
    Sadly I don't have any mini-memes I can associate with my online presence nor a recognizable constant avatar.

I'm debating doing a series where I have characters from other tv shows in the Game of Thrones verse. Which seems kinda neat. My only worry is that book readers will spoil me. As I'm just a tv show watcher

(granted I've been spoiled on a few things, but hardly everything)

edit: I'm kinda into graphic design could come up with something cool and random but I want to do something a tad cooler than just randomness. Do people think this would be much of an issue? Or like 1 in 100 chance. Like mostly it would just be "hey want to trade to a button?" done and done. Suspect it would be that but a bit paranoid

Original designs are always best! Remember, everyone should trade a "personal" button for anyone else's "personal" button, the design is just icing on the cake. The bonus buttons are the ones where you can have special requirements to give them away.

• Options
    Cheese of BorgCheese of Borg Registered User regular
    Checking in to confirm I will be participating again this year! Awesome time last year, my button was my current avatar.

• Options
    Hoboking006Hoboking006 Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    I don't know if this is a design that is within the guidelines but I have a U.S.S.A. flag design that I made into a shirt, its the US flag but black and red with two hands shaking instead of stars, kind of inspired by the Vox populi , Victoria 2 and some alt-history books.

I also have a physics cat cartoon design I tagged on random chalk boards at Davis.

Hoboking006 on
    May PAX be upon you.
  • Options
    I don't know if this is a design that is within the guidelines but I have a U.S.S.A. flag design that I made into a shirt, its the US flag but black and red with two hands shaking instead of stars, kind of inspired by the Vox populi , Victoria 2 and some alt-history books.

I also have a physics cat cartoon design I tagged on random chalk boards at Davis.

There's no real guidelines, as you can see from past years. Just have fun!

• Options
    Jenny_SpaghettiJenny_Spaghetti I am 3 ginger midgets in a trench coat. Calgary, CanadalandRegistered User regular
    After my much-regretted absence from Prime last year, I'm back and buttoneering again! I already have my main and bonus button ideas lined up, just need to throw them together.

• Options
    soozerellasoozerella Registered User regular
    I've been having a ball mocking up button ideas since I got my badge last week... to the point where I think my problem now is actually going to be having too many to choose from. I never realized how much fun this would be. :smiley:

PAX Prime attendee: '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, and soon to be '16
  • Options
    Goblin ScrewdriverGoblin Screwdriver Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I know what you mean. I'm really excited for classes to finish for the summer so I can start working on mine. I already have four ideas for buttons including an unused one from last year. I'm thinking I'll just go ahead and design all of them and then choose whichever one turns out the best.

PAX Prime attendee since 2006

Pointless signature checklist [x]
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    So, I've encountered a problem: I'm terrible at photoshop. I didn't realize how technically inept I am at doing this.

To that end, is there anyone with mad photoshop or illustrator skills that understand things like... layers... who would mind helping me out with my button?

Free drink of your choice at pax prime if you're goin'.

belligerent on
  • Options
    So, I've encountered a problem: I'm terrible at photoshop. I didn't realize how technically inept I am at doing this.

To that end, is there anyone with mad photoshop or illustrator skills that understand things like... layers... who would mind helping me out with my button?

It'd be a great idea if someone who knew what they were doing would make some Buttoneering Design tutorial videos. Things like text on a round path and such.

• Options
    ikelewisikelewis Awesome Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2014
    I think I have my pin design! If you didn't know my [Enforcer] handle is Merlin.
    5FoQbDj.jpgYxrSKOy.jpg
    Edit: Will upload design tonight when I get home from work.

ikelewis on
  • Options
    LadyBeeLadyBee Vancouver BCRegistered User regular
    ikelewis wrote: »
    I think I have my pin design! If you didn't know my [Enforcer] handle is Merlin.

I hope it is because its fantastic!

Buttoneer
    Slytherin OotP HeadGirl.
  • Options
    PookyAlertPookyAlert Registered User regular
    Any tutorials are good, but I assume when I finally stop being indecisive and go with my avatar, the button place should have guidelines, as per the stuff I've read already, yes? :blush:

• Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I might be making a glorious return to this.

Working on something... bigger... than previous years.

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    dreamninjadreamninja Registered User regular
    I've got my designs done. I might possibly be making a third one, depends on how much money I blow at SDCC.
    There's Button 1:
    1.PNG
    Button 2 (bonus)
    2.PNG

• Options
    PookyAlert wrote: »
    Any tutorials are good, but I assume when I finally stop being indecisive and go with my avatar, the button place should have guidelines, as per the stuff I've read already, yes? :blush:

Yes, they absolutely have photoshop files. And that's great. But I'm not really sure what a layer is (lol) so I'd have to futz around alot to get it done. I am willing to do this to participate, I was just wondering if anyone had experience with actually doing it that could help me.

• Options
    Rhea_starstormRhea_starstorm Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I'm so excited for my first year doing this!!! Someone a few years ago made/bought a PAX flag and but all there buttons on it. Anyone have an image? I want to do something simialar

• Options
    Goblin ScrewdriverGoblin Screwdriver Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    jonxp wrote: »

It'd be a great idea if someone who knew what they were doing would make some Buttoneering Design tutorial videos. Things like text on a round path and such.
    I know absolutely nothing about making videos (not to mention I don't own a mic) but I like to think I know a bit about Photoshop and Illustrator. I'd be happy to help anyone with their buttons once I'm finished with school for the summer.

If someone could point me to a guide and some of the tools you need I could look into trying to make a simple video.

PAX Prime attendee since 2006

Pointless signature checklist [x]
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2014
    I googled this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2ZE5caN0T8

That's assuming you are using Photoshop. I personally use Illustrator.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    MembinoMembino Registered User regular
    managed to get one day! so just buying a small bag of buttons this year. ill probably make it match my cosplay because that seems to be what most people expect when you cosplay and buttoneer?

• Options
    BigRed wrote: »
    I might be making a glorious return to this.

Working on something... bigger... than previous years.

...bigger? D:

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Uploaded one button, is there a trick to uploading them on the buttoneering site so they crop nicer? It took me (my fiancee) a few tries to edit the image right and it seems like the others were done flawlessly.

USSAflagclr_(4.png?1402219430

Hoboking006 on
    May PAX be upon you.
  • Options
    Uploaded one button, is there a trick to uploading them on the buttoneering site so they crop nicer? It took me (my fiancee) a few tries to edit the image right and it seems like the others were done flawlessly.

What did it look like when it was "wrong"?

• Options

At first it was zoomed in, like you only saw a portion of the flag, then after I re-sized it it wasn't centered. Essentially I would have to upload it, then take a stab at how I had to alter the original image(size, centering) then delete the original upload and resubmit. Rinse,repeat until it looked right. I mean I got it to work, so it's no biggie, but I have more complicated designs I want to try and wanted to know if there was a trick to it before I submit.

May PAX be upon you.
  • Options

At first it was zoomed in, like you only saw a portion of the flag, then after I re-sized it it wasn't centered. Essentially I would have to upload it, then take a stab at how I had to alter the original image(size, centering) then delete the original upload and resubmit. Rinse,repeat until it looked right. I mean I got it to work, so it's no biggie, but I have more complicated designs I want to try and wanted to know if there was a trick to it before I submit.

The cropping is designed for the PureButtons template. You should be able to export a PNG of the template and upload that directly, then select the crop. It actually crops a circle a bit larger than the face of the button, but it definitely shouldn't be a zoomed in version like you saw. If you aren't using the PureButtons template, I suggest cropping it before upload and just unchecking the "crop" option.

Also, you don't have to delete the upload, you can just edit the button and upload a new image if you need to change it.

• Options
    zeromystzeromyst wat Registered User regular
    Need to get started on some designs...

I know I want to do some sort of Transistor pin and something else.

I will have my extras from PAX East as well.

Extras from East
    paxeastbuttons2014.jpg

CRANK UP THE C. CRANK UP THE D.
  • Options
    MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2014
    I'm not sure what I'm going to use on my button this year. Though I can tell you that the lab coat was very hot, and wearing buttons on your arms is a poor choice. A couple of them have a taste for human flesh now.

Pretty sure I'm going to grab a bandolier or something this time

Mighty on
    Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty