As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Weight Loss and Fitness: Repent, for Swimsuit Season Is Nigh

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    I'll also look at working some of the weightlifting into my exercise routine, though I don't want to make it its own program. I'd rather do something to work all of my muscles for toning since I have no desire to build strength specifically.

Toning is not a real thing. Your muscles become more visible because you A. lose body fat and B. make them bigger and C. lose more body fat. Viable strength training goals are either bigger muscles or stronger muscles, but you're going to get some of both either way. Full body routines are fine and ones predicated on compound barbell movements are best, lots of us around here do them.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Lentils are a legume. They have a great meatiness to them.

Making one meal for a week of dinners is a super good idea! I do that, myself.

I would say, maybe take a look at the coupons/sales for the week in produce before going to the store, and then find a recipe that sounds really good and uses some of the veggies as a base. For example, this week eggplants were 98 cents a piece here, so I got one because I'm obsessed with this recipe for eggplant with chermoula and wheat bulgur.

My point though, is maybe it might be better to find a recipe that you want to try using what's in your budget, rather than buying vegetables you don't care for in the first place and hoping to smash them into a palatable form. You know yourself best, though!

If you're a fan of broccoli, I love it tossed with some olive oil and garlic and chili flakes, and then slammed under a preheated broiler until the bits get all crispy.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    If you're like me and 1) don't know what you're doing exercise-wise, and 2) don't own any equipment (I've got two like...5 or 10 pound dumbbells), NerdFitness is supposed to be good. I've done a bit of it and it seems good so far, just gotta do more of it.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    I'll also look at working some of the weightlifting into my exercise routine, though I don't want to make it its own program. I'd rather do something to work all of my muscles for toning since I have no desire to build strength specifically.

Toning is not a real thing. Your muscles become more visible because you A. lose body fat and B. make them bigger and C. lose more body fat. Viable strength training goals are either bigger muscles or stronger muscles, but you're going to get some of both either way. Full body routines are fine and ones predicated on compound barbell movements are best, lots of us around here do them.

I wish we could get this stickied to the top of every page of every thread.

That Nerdfitness bodyweight routine is my go-to recommendation any time anyone asks about wanting to start working out for the first time. I started out doing a slightly modified version (I used a barbell for the squats and rows and added in OHP) and it's pretty great for a beginner. It requires no equipment, gets your heartrate up and get you sweating pretty good, and is not very complicated. Everything someone who's just starting out probably wants.

Another fantastic resource is http://simplesciencefitness.com/. There's a ton of information presented, so don't think you need to chew through it all at once. But it'll cover pretty much every question about fitness you could think of.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »

If I had the option I'd choose more strength, because I really don't like the bulky aesthetic. Favor the martial artist over the strongman when it comes to looks, so that's what I'd be going for. I keep seeing Nerdfitness referenced/linked here so I will definitely be checking that site out further.
    Lentils are a legume. They have a great meatiness to them.

Making one meal for a week of dinners is a super good idea! I do that, myself.

I would say, maybe take a look at the coupons/sales for the week in produce before going to the store, and then find a recipe that sounds really good and uses some of the veggies as a base. For example, this week eggplants were 98 cents a piece here, so I got one because I'm obsessed with this recipe for eggplant with chermoula and wheat bulgur.

My point though, is maybe it might be better to find a recipe that you want to try using what's in your budget, rather than buying vegetables you don't care for in the first place and hoping to smash them into a palatable form. You know yourself best, though!

If you're a fan of broccoli, I love it tossed with some olive oil and garlic and chili flakes, and then slammed under a preheated broiler until the bits get all crispy.

Yeah, I just meant I'd get some to try out since I haven't had them in years. Maybe they'll taste better to me now. Not broccoli though, that's one texture I can never get past when the "tree" bit breaks apart in my mouth. I've vomited trying to force one down before and it wasn't from the taste, so that's probably unchanged.

• Options
    wrong_buttonwrong_button Registered User regular
    Just my $0.02, but the whole strength training = insta-OMGHUEG isn't really a thing. I mean, adding that sort of "strongman" mass is hard as shit unless you're a genetic lottery winner.

I had a similar health revelation a couple years back. I've been training a lot of strength and making decent weight progression for almost two years now (not like the folks in the body building thread - those guys are way more committed than I am, and work way harder). I lost about 25ish lbs to start, then over the last year I've been half-assedly trying to add mass. Sure, I've added some girth to my thighs from lifting, added some definition to my chest, and my shoulders...uh, exist now - but getting swole ain't happening. Those big, muscley types bust their asses to get that big.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Yeah, don't worry about getting huge.

Getting huge is basically a full time job in terms of working out and diet. Unless you start eating twelve eggs for breakfast and chugging protein shakes for snacks and have a very dedicated and focused lifting routine you are not going to get huge. I mostly lift with the occasional light cardio. The net result of going from a 50lb bench press to a 110lb bench press hasn't been bulging muscles, it's been losing weight, defining my muscles, and getting a very nice body shape. It is basically the "martial arts" body that many people say they want. I never got it from doing martial arts though (I did martial arts for years when I was younger), consistently good diet and weight lifting has moved me substantially in that direction though.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    yes

i want 2 get big

it is a struggle

poo
  • Options
    My brother wants to get big. He drinks protein shakes, consumes eggs by the dozen, eats huge meals over the span of several hours, and works out in such a way to promote muscle growth. The only thing is this goes entirely against his genetic makeup and the minute he gets sick (he works in medical so this is often) he loses it all because his stable weight is 150-160 lbs. It's all muscle, just not big muscle. I'm wondering how long he's going to keep tilting at this windmill.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Man, 95 degree and 32% humidity will absolutely murder any enjoyment you think you had about running.

Though again, I'm really glad I'm doing the running club. I would have quit the run by myself, but being in a group pushes me to finish those five miles.

And I'm kinda excited about getting into speedwork/hill training next week!

• Options
    FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    My brother wants to get big. He drinks protein shakes, consumes eggs by the dozen, eats huge meals over the span of several hours, and works out in such a way to promote muscle growth. The only thing is this goes entirely against his genetic makeup and the minute he gets sick (he works in medical so this is often) he loses it all because his stable weight is 150-160 lbs. It's all muscle, just not big muscle. I'm wondering how long he's going to keep tilting at this windmill.

It kinda sounds like it's not genetics, but that he loses his appetite when he gets sick, which is definitely a difficult thing to work around in terms of keeping on mass if you get sick often enough.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Well I fucked up and didn't exercise at all today. Guess I'll just lay in bed trying to sleep until 5am.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I tried running 'cause I heard there'd be endorphins.

But there are no endorphins here.

Only fatigue and sweatiness.

Perhaps I am doing it wrong.

RT800 on
  • Options
    I was talking to this stranger online.

And she said she does crossfit.

And that she's training for an olympic weightlifting event in a month.

And that she does it cause it's fun.

I don't think I have ever found exercise to be fun. Tolerable, perhaps, and that was when I would just run and lift weights with my earphones on so I could ignore the movement of my legs and arms and just listen to podcasts.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Haven't trained for a week because of reasons and man, it is just not fair how fast progress is lost again.

• Options
    AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular

I don't think I have ever found exercise to be fun. Tolerable, perhaps, and that was when I would just run and lift weights with my earphones on so I could ignore the movement of my legs and arms and just listen to podcasts.

When you get really into it, at some point it isn't just exercise anymore. Training at the gym is something I look forward to three days a week, for us weirdos that get really into it, its a lot of fun.

You do have to enjoy it though, to eventually get over that hump of it just being yet another chore and I always respect that for some people, they just don't and its something they tolerate so they lose weight and better their health.

I'm just glad they do.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »

I generally start to feel really good around the mile and a half mark. Then I hit a wall at like the three mile mark and want to yell wheeeeee for the last bit till I'm done. (I only ever run 5k cause I'm babby.)

That said I don't think it felt good at all ever until I had really gotten into practice. If you're starting from zero probably it's gonna suck a bit at first...

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    i could barely sleep

i went to bed at 10pm

woke up at 230am

blah

went to gym at 7am

i felt like absolute shit but i made it through almost all my lifts

missed a few reps here and there but i did it

whatever

fuck missing the gym anymore

poo
  • Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    @Madican, I just try to remind myself, in terms of food, exercise, and really any undertaking, of that old "How do you eat an elephant?" adage. Don't say OKAY NOW EVERYTHING CHANGES COMPLETELY FOREVER and expect it to stick. Tracking what you're eating is a great start!

I grocery shop on a fairly small budget, and it's not as hard to be healthy as people tend to think.

My two biggest recommendations are to take into consideration what produce is on sale, and find a place to buy dry goods in bulk. Bulk dry goods like lentils and beans and such are usually way cheaper than canned, and rehydrating them is super easy. Eggs are more affordable than a lot of other animal protein sources. And you can get tons of healthy vegetables and fruits for the same price as a couple of boxes of prepackaged junk food.

Just want to chime in on tracking what you are eating. My Fitness Pal is a godsend. I threw it on my phone and it makes tracking food super easy. Since early February I am down 50 lbs...still have about 20 to 25 to go, but all I am doing is tracking what I eat, staying in my calories and going to the gym 2-3 days a week plus softball on Sundays. The only "gimmicks" I have going are focusing strongly lean protien including a UMP shake for breakfast, doing a lot of small 300 calorie-ish meals, and having a cheat day that is completely unmonitored on Saturday.

The other thing I want to underscore is how much food you can actually eat if you stay the hell out of the middle of the gorcerey store. When food is clean and grows naturally you will be shocked how much you not only can, but should consume.

I am far from a health nut and I still have a way to go, but if you make it easy and set up a system it is surprising how much less difficult it becomes.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options

I generally start to feel really good around the mile and a half mark. Then I hit a wall at like the three mile mark and want to yell wheeeeee for the last bit till I'm done. (I only ever run 5k cause I'm babby.)

That said I don't think it felt good at all ever until I had really gotten into practice. If you're starting from zero probably it's gonna suck a bit at first...

Your pace and the weather is also going to play huge roles.

I too don't get into a good spot until after the first mile or so, and any changes in pace will throw me off.

I also SUCK at speed but have pretty good endurance, which is why I do longer distance running.

Though if the humidity is too much it's the most miserable experience ever.

• Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    Aretè wrote: »

When you get really into it, at some point it isn't just exercise anymore. Training at the gym is something I look forward to three days a week, for us weirdos that get really into it, its a lot of fun.

You do have to enjoy it though, to eventually get over that hump of it just being yet another chore and I always respect that for some people, they just don't and its something they tolerate so they lose weight and better their health.

I'm just glad they do.

I HAAAATE the gym. I go but I hate it. If you are like me I have found it best to seek out some alternatives that still give you the excersize while having some fun. I play softball, Swim, frisbee golf in parks where there is a lot of terain to climb and hike over....anything that gets you up and moving. That way I only have to suplement with Gym time. Granted I am not trying to get ripped...but for wait loss this seems to be working just fine.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Hawkstone wrote: »
    @Madican, I just try to remind myself, in terms of food, exercise, and really any undertaking, of that old "How do you eat an elephant?" adage. Don't say OKAY NOW EVERYTHING CHANGES COMPLETELY FOREVER and expect it to stick. Tracking what you're eating is a great start!

I grocery shop on a fairly small budget, and it's not as hard to be healthy as people tend to think.

My two biggest recommendations are to take into consideration what produce is on sale, and find a place to buy dry goods in bulk. Bulk dry goods like lentils and beans and such are usually way cheaper than canned, and rehydrating them is super easy. Eggs are more affordable than a lot of other animal protein sources. And you can get tons of healthy vegetables and fruits for the same price as a couple of boxes of prepackaged junk food.

Just want to chime in on tracking what you are eating. My Fitness Pal is a godsend. I threw it on my phone and it makes tracking food super easy. Since early February I am down 50 lbs...still have about 20 to 25 to go, but all I am doing is tracking what I eat, staying in my calories and going to the gym 2-3 days a week plus softball on Sundays. The only "gimmicks" I have going are focusing strongly lean protien including a UMP shake for breakfast, doing a lot of small 300 calorie-ish meals, and having a cheat day that is completely unmonitored on Saturday.

The other thing I want to underscore is how much food you can actually eat if you stay the hell out of the middle of the gorcerey store. When food is clean and grows naturally you will be shocked how much you not only can, but should consume.

I am far from a health nut and I still have a way to go, but if you make it easy and set up a system it is surprising how much less difficult it becomes.

Yes, this. Just being mindful of what you are consuming with an app like Myfitnesspal has been huge.

Expect some shockers the first few weeks though. Whoa, that portion size that I've been consuming is, like, all of my calories for the day. Stuff like that is very interesting.

• Options
    My Fitness Pal sounds like an app I'll check out when I can get to my phone. Also poked around NerdFitness and this looks like the sort of thing tailored to me.

And yeah, I've gotten much better about portion control in the past few years after a physical. My problem is that I will eat the correct portion, but I'll graze all day because I'm always hungry. Gotta pick up some SF gum because oh boy this is not gonna be a fun first few weeks.

• Options
    MFP also has a website fyi

I am gonna start tracking macros again, sigh

But

Is only way imma get below 15% BF prollys

poo
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    I'll graze all day because I'm always hungry.

The thing that helped me the most with this was drinking lots of water and not being bored.

For better or for worse, I've always had the best luck losing weight when I'm really into an MMO.

• Options
    Good thing I've got WoW. Or is that a bad thing. I think that's a bad thing.

Somewhat related, while I know not to really take the advice of Cracked.com on matters of life at face-value, I loved this line from today's "lose weight" article about how some people can be fit really easily while others can't. "You either ride the gravy train or you accidentally eat it."

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Kyougu wrote: »

Your pace and the weather is also going to play huge roles.

I too don't get into a good spot until after the first mile or so, and any changes in pace will throw me off.

I also SUCK at speed but have pretty good endurance, which is why I do longer distance running.

Though if the humidity is too much it's the most miserable experience ever.

agreeing with all of this. My 'feel good' distance is usually about 3km unless i'm having an exceptionally great day, but once I hit that zone I can go forever (well, it feels like). For me the endorphins don't necessarily hit while I'm running but I usually feel better afterwards, mentally and physically.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I'm falling in love with the elliptical.

But I'm starting to despise a few specific other people who do use one.

Little rant:
    I've managed to work my way up to level 15 difficulty (from about 5 when I started three weeks ago), but I'm sloughing through it like I'm in molasses almost.

But these people next to me are going like fucking rabbits, and I can *see* them giving me sideways looks like "gawd she's struggling". Whenever I notice them I see their machine, and they're going like they're going to break an arm on level one.

This doesn't seem to happen on the exercise bike either though, so I'm not sure whats up. [/spoiler[

Luckily most of the time I'm engrossed in what I'm listening to to notice anyone else.

• Options
    Psykoma wrote: »
    I'm falling in love with the elliptical.

But I'm starting to despise a few specific other people who do use one.

Little rant:
    I've managed to work my way up to level 15 difficulty (from about 5 when I started three weeks ago), but I'm sloughing through it like I'm in molasses almost.

But these people next to me are going like fucking rabbits, and I can *see* them giving me sideways looks like "gawd she's struggling". Whenever I notice them I see their machine, and they're going like they're going to break an arm on level one.

This doesn't seem to happen on the exercise bike either though, so I'm not sure whats up. [/spoiler[

Luckily most of the time I'm engrossed in what I'm listening to to notice anyone else.

Maybe it's not a judging look, but a look of "wow" inspiration? Cause either way, you're trying and you're doing it.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Also yes, MyFitnessPal will probably blow you away with how much you are eating.

I bought these sunflower seeds cause I thought they'd help with my snacking. But not only are they terrible for you, they're also really hard to eat.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    get mixed unsalted nuts
    try to notice the subtle differences in flavor among the nuts

in fact, I find if I concentrate more on noticing the different flavors of food, it makes dieting a bit easier

• Options
    Aww yeah. Did my squats and curls and lunges and rows and took a nice hot shower and OH WHOOPS I'm eating these brownies while watching Metal Gear Scanlon.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Also, held onto a door and a wall today to try and do "proper" squats, where my knees don't go past my feet, as I have often seen it said. I can't really do squats like that without falling over. Hope I'm not fucking things up too badly.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    The whole 'don't let your knees go past your toes' thing is ages old bullshit. Don't worry about it. Just make sure you keep your whole foot on the floor and spine neutral while going as low as possible.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    my knees can't go past my toes because my ankles are shiiiiiiiit

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Today's run was awwwful ugh

Partially my own fault because I've been pushing myself to go faster for longer this week, but my calves were super tight from the beginning. Then I realized one earphone was broken, and as I stopped at an intersection to double-check a torrential downpour started. I don't mind running in the rain so off we went, but the rain made both earphones too slippery to stay in my ears, so I had to take them out completely. Then the rain stopped and turned to SUPER HUMIDITY.

Meanwhile my dumb dog decided he'd never been on a run before (every day of his life) and was ping-ponging around me in circles trying to rip my arm out of its socket.

Hurgghhhhh

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I installed myfitnesspal.

Did they always have the barcode scanner function? I don't remember that being there last time I used it.

I approve either way.

• Options
    Speaking of running.

Anyone know of an app that will monitor my pace and alert me when I'm going over/under a certain tresh hold? Most of my running apps keep track of my pace and will alert me of it at a certain time, but it's never on the fly.

I'm suppose to be keeping specific pace through my training runs and this would be really helpful.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Just uhh

Just keep snapchat open forever with that "mph" filter?

Also since people were talking about how difficult it is to change or start a healthy routine, and how we're drawn to maintain our status quo, and how difficult getting started and all is, and since I was sorting through a bunch of old photographs, I thought I'd toss this out there:

Back in 2009 I was not my heaviest (that would be the prednisone years of college, when my leg tried to fall off) but I was really close to my heaviest ever:
    gx7vOeO.jpg

Annnnd then I was like, this sucks, I hate myself, I have to do something. (There were other factors, like moving to a country where there is a ton of pressure on personal appearance, but basically that sums it up.) So I started to slowly change my diet and implement a workout plan. I'm still pretty regularly unhappy with my appearance and weight, but I'm waaay healthier and more muscular than I used to be. I haven't ever had that bounce-back problem that I think can stop a lot of people even getting started. (The belief that "Oh, I'll just end up gaining it all back anyway, so why bother.")

I don't really have any flash Workout Bod photos, but here is an accurate portrayal of current Lost Salient for comparison:
    CGww0e5l.jpg

So like, don't get discouraged! Don't believe the negative can't-do-it-stuff. Just recognize that it's hard but not impossible at all.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Oh man! I was walking into a super market today and a lady flagged me down with a "Young man my bag is very heavy could you carry it for me?"

Yesssss. This means I look strong now!

This discussion has been closed.