As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Weight Loss and Fitness: Repent, for Swimsuit Season Is Nigh

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Honestly, if you are that worried about it. Grab a PT session from a trainer every so often and tell them that you want to work on your form.

Of course the issue is finding a PT that knows what they are doing but it is going to be a hell of a lot better than getting advice on weight lifting from a hulahoop instructor.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Hula, not hulahoop. They are different. And it was a conversation, not advice.

I appreciate the responses, but good grief, would you guys be making this much fun of her if I'd said it was a ballet class?

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Yup.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »

I appreciate the responses, but good grief, would you guys be making this much fun of her if I'd said it was a ballet class?

I think we would be making equal fun of anyone who claimed that you needed expert supervision for years to do squats safely.

People could be less negative, sure, but you have to imagine what a raw nerve ignorant comments like that are for people in this thread. Weight lifting is amazing for you, but people spout a ton of nonsense around it (injury! you will magically turn into a roided out freak! etc etc etc) that keep people away from doing something that is amazing for them that when we hear a new form of that sort of nonsense we are going to tear it apart.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

I think we would be making equal fun of anyone who claimed that you needed expert supervision for years to do squats safely.

People could be less negative, sure, but you have to imagine what a raw nerve ignorant comments like that are for people in this thread. Weight lifting is amazing for you, but people spout a ton of nonsense around it (injury! you will magically turn into a roided out freak! etc etc etc) that keep people away from doing something that is amazing for them that when we hear a new form of that sort of nonsense we are going to tear it apart.

Fair enough. It was the teacher's personal trainer who told her that; the teacher was only quoting her. I got nettled because hula is a really cool traditional art form and I thought people were belittling it.

• Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Fair enough. It was the teacher's personal trainer who told her that; the teacher was only quoting her. I got nettled because hula is a really cool traditional art form and I thought people were belittling it.

A Personal Trainer might have a wee conflict of interest in telling you how long you need expert supervision for...

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Realized a few months back that I was getting Fat again, as opposed to Slighty Rounder Than I Should Be. Blood pressure was up in Oh God Really territory and all that.

So I started back on a keto diet, but unlike last time I did it my weight didn't fall off like crazy--blood pressure got down, but weight was barely moving.

So I started walking, too, figuring that last time I was on the keto diet, I wasn't living like Jabba, I was walking to the store every few days and whatnot. So I started walking, because I hate running and bodyweight exercise around the house and I can't get to a gym for weights because I don't have a car.

Over the last month, I've walked at least 20 minutes every day. Last week and a half, it's been 60+ minutes. Blood pressure went down to 'healthy dude', and even minimal exercise makes my appetite subside so keeping my diet's been easy, but my weight hasn't been moving--I was 211 when I started dieting, 208 yesterday.

Then I noticed that I can fit into a pair of pants that I could barely zip up, much less button shut a few weeks ago. Took the time to do the body fat test at the grocery store, and lo and behold, my weight may be the same but I've dropped from ~29% to ~25% body fat.

So yeah. Feeling really stupid about just how ridiculously sedentary I let myself get.

Kamar on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    I for one know I'd be way unhealthier if i didn't live in a city where my primary mode of transport was walking

Walking is great

poo
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    My foot is almost all better!

Going to take it easy through the weekend and hopefully start walking again on monday =)

Can't. Wait.

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    £172 a month to commute though that gets me to the gym as well. Also I get to climb the 200 steps/15 storeys to ground level every morning, which is neat.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    This thread just made me try on a few pairs of pants I haven't tried in a while. I guess my Halloween costume options just opened up a little.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Caught myself feeling down so I did a bit of a work-out and now I feel much better. I hope I can remember this so I can motivate myself into exercise instead of moping the next time feels rear their ugly head.

• Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    I went out and bought a new pair of jeans over the weekend. I'm officially down to a 32" waist (I was just about to make the jump to 40" before deciding enough was enough). Also, they are the first pair of slim-fit jeans I've ever even thought about buying. Shortened the length by one step (32" down from 34") and they're the most comfortable pair of jeans I've ever worn. Sooo much more comfortable than the bulky relaxed-fit I've worn for basically my entire life.

I also went through a bin my old crap I found pushed way back in the attic. Among other random stuff, I found a shirt I used to really like wearing when I was back in high school. It's a medium and kinda stretchy. Not quite ready to wear that out in public yet but I'm alot closer than I ever would have thought I could get. And now I have a goal for next summer.

• Options
    TheCanMan wrote: »
    I went out and bought a new pair of jeans over the weekend. I'm officially down to a 32" waist (I was just about to make the jump to 40" before deciding enough was enough). Also, they are the first pair of slim-fit jeans I've ever even thought about buying. Shortened the length by one step (32" down from 34") and they're the most comfortable pair of jeans I've ever worn. Sooo much more comfortable than the bulky relaxed-fit I've worn for basically my entire life.

I also went through a bin my old crap I found pushed way back in the attic. Among other random stuff, I found a shirt I used to really like wearing when I was back in high school. It's a medium and kinda stretchy. Not quite ready to wear that out in public yet but I'm alot closer than I ever would have thought I could get. And now I have a goal for next summer.

I went from a relaxed 42 to a comfortable 36 (though the 36s are a bit baggy, they don't seem to make a 35 which is probably right on the money)

love the fact that my jeans actually fit now.

Congrats to you!

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    We're going to hit the end of daylight savings soon, which is going to make long evening runs even less appealing.
    i think if i want to work up to anything serious I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and start getting up earlier

fuck

• Options
    tynic wrote: »
    We're going to hit the end of daylight savings soon, which is going to make long evening runs even less appealing.
    i think if i want to work up to anything serious I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and start getting up earlier

fuck

I don't even know what this means

is this like when people tried to lie to me by saying there was a 5:00 in the morning too?

haha people and their jokes!

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    tynic wrote: »

fuck

This is the issue I've had since going back to uni, can't run in the evening cause its dark, can't run before I need to head to uni because its dark. My day off is now my morning run day.

Liiya on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    After a long time of basically no exercise whatsoever I am finally back to running. I'm only ten days in, but so far I have kept up my schedule of running at least 30 minutes every two days. The only problem is that winter is coming, and quickly. Does anyone have advice on running in cold weather? A quick google search seems to indicate that it's safe as long as you can keep your body temperature up, but I've already had my lungs hurting from the cold air.

• Options
    how cold is cold?
    I used to run in around -10C, by layering up. Below that it tended to snow, which is a whole other bag of injury-related goodness, so I haven't tried it really.

In general, a light cloth or scarf over your mouth will stop the air entering your lungs being too freezing. Personally I find that can feel worse than the cold, but you could give it a shot.

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    So far it has only been around 0c, how much worse than that it gets is up to the gods. I might try the scarf thing, thanks!

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I run pretty hot, shorts until 5C or so. My hands do get cold, so thin gloves come out relatively early. I got a pair with tips that make them work on phone screens which is pretty great.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Down 13 pounds in 7~weeks! I'm feeling my waist slim down now, pants getting looser and such. Had to go down a notch on the belt. Yay progress!

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I lost 12 pounds in two weeks. The trick was to come down with Mono. And I was already thin to begin with. :bigfrown:

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    @Calica

On the subject of back injuries due to squatting, in general if you doing exercise that's meaningful enough to be beneficial, it can potentially be dangerous if you do it wrong.

If you're nervous about not being sure you're doing it safely, I would think a good physical therapy style gentle post workout stretching routine would be strongly help prevent any long term injury from developing. Sometimes injuries like you describe in your post happen because said misalignment in form is creating tightness in a place it's not supposed to be, and things start compensating for that tightness by becoming ever more out of alignment, until something goes critical.

of course, the first statement also applies to said stretching routine. doing that stretching routine wrong could also create misalignment issues and injury over the long term, especially for areas most people don't have lots of knowledge with like backs.

Disclaimer : I am not a doctor. I am just a dude.

Label on
  • Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    Vic wrote: »
    After a long time of basically no exercise whatsoever I am finally back to running. I'm only ten days in, but so far I have kept up my schedule of running at least 30 minutes every two days. The only problem is that winter is coming, and quickly. Does anyone have advice on running in cold weather? A quick google search seems to indicate that it's safe as long as you can keep your body temperature up, but I've already had my lungs hurting from the cold air.

I don't run much in the cold but I do bike. Get some good thermal underwear, merino wool is amazing if you can afford it. It keeps the cold out but doesn't make you overheat. When it gets icy there's some sort of studs you can buy to fit on your running shoes, I have colleagues that use them and they work well apparently. Addnature in Stockholm usually has pretty good stuff for outdoor exercise.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    On the road to recovery, a trainer/dietitian got me started on carb loading. Now I'm bouncing off the walls with energy, even after intense cardio, and I improved my 1.5 mile run by 49 seconds within 72 hours.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Flarne wrote: »
    Vic wrote: »

I don't run much in the cold but I do bike. Get some good thermal underwear, merino wool is amazing if you can afford it. It keeps the cold out but doesn't make you overheat. When it gets icy there's some sort of studs you can buy to fit on your running shoes, I have colleagues that use them and they work well apparently. Addnature in Stockholm usually has pretty good stuff for outdoor exercise.

Oh, and look into Uniqlo. They have a good line in wool garments of all sorts, but even their non-wool undergarments are amazingly good at keeping you warm while letting sweat evaporate. My sister swears by their stuff for winter jogging.

• Options
    SkankPlayaSkankPlaya Registered User regular
    I finally have a doctor appointment so maybe i'll get my hip pain checked out. I've been swimming more to compensate lack of running, biking, and lifting, but it hurts when I swim too, and when I walk around, or sit down, or stand up. Also, doing short course (25y) as well as long course (50m) has started making my lower back hurt too (more flip turns).

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Measured my waist this morning and I've lost 2 inches over the last 5 weeks!

Been measuring at the same time (in the morning, no food intake yet) with the same measuring tape just to be sure. I was worried that because I don't weigh myself that I won't know if there's been any progress which really kills my motivation, but it's kind of cool to see that why yes there totally has!

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    Someone did not stick to his diet today

Not even remotely close

Maybe 2x as much food as I was supposed to eat
    Maybe more

Oopsie

Special occasion?
    Friend is in town??

poo
  • Options
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    Measured my waist this morning and I've lost 2 inches over the last 5 weeks!

Been measuring at the same time (in the morning, no food intake yet) with the same measuring tape just to be sure. I was worried that because I don't weigh myself that I won't know if there's been any progress which really kills my motivation, but it's kind of cool to see that why yes there totally has!

I've been doing the weigh and waist measurements and it's pretty crazy to see, even if the weight doesn't budge how the waist can change
    Swaggggg
    Grats

poo
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Today I binged. 3500 calories for the day. Not my worst, but more than double what I've been eating.

Ah well, that's why I diet stricter than I should need to--the binge eating is, if not wholly inevitable, nearly so. Apparently it's a Thing for some of us with bipolar disorder.

The REAL problem's that I'm stuck with like, 3 meals in a row of the same thing tomorrow before I go to the grocery store, because I ate up all my options. Oops.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    The day before grocery shopping is always the worse!

My run today was awful. I couldn't go 100m without my muscles hurting. Maybe I'm having an off day, or maybe its because I've gone down from twice to once a week I'm able to run and body isn't used to it.

I've been thinking about getting back into skipping instead, that was less time consuming and still good for keeping fit. A few women have been getting mugged/raped in my area lately and I don't feel that safe going out for a run much to be honest.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I am thinking I maybe should try lowering my carb intake a little bit. At the moment I am either having muesli or bread roll with cheese or ham for breakfast, and for dinner often pasta. Are there good equally easy to prepare (and tasty) alternatives? I am not trying to loose weight (shifting it to others places maybe).

• Options
    MethuselahMethuselah United StatesRegistered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    I am thinking I maybe should try lowering my carb intake a little bit. At the moment I am either having muesli or bread roll with cheese or ham for breakfast, and for dinner often pasta. Are there good equally easy to prepare (and tasty) alternatives? I am not trying to loose weight (shifting it to others places maybe).

Spaghetti squash is easy to prepare and quite tasty. Many vegetables will fill a carb craving. Sweet potatoes are a great starchy carb which is more filling than pasta and bread.

There's nothing inherently wrong with carbs, though. Especially if you're doing high-intensity exercise. Be wary of replacing those carbs with fattier foods which can sneak a lot of calories in under the radar, so to speak.

• Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    I walked up this thing on Saturday.

Don't believe anything you read, it took more than just one hour to get to the top and holy shit the chain climb is scary. Everything still hurts.

• Options
    I'm not trying to get into running but after this PT and all I want to ease myself into being able to run like, 1 mile, just so my legs get used to it and I can start being functional

Maybe at some later date I'll worry about distance but not now, doesn't fit with my training plan anywho

But anyway, the other day I ran a few blocks too and from brunch just because...

My calves are so tight and sore now

What do you advise I do about that? I've always had tight calves but ow

poo
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I've been doing weight training at the gym more and more.

I'll start with 15-20 minutes on elliptical, gradually increasing the difficulty over the days.

- I'm up to 50lbs + whatever the bar weighs in deadlifts. 6-7 reps/5 sets
    - Up to holding 35lbs while doing squats. 8 reps/5 sets.
    - Down to only needing 100 lbs of help in pullups. 5 reps/5 sets
    - Up to 80 lbs in bench press. 6 reps/5 sets
    - Also had started leg curl/leg extension machines as something to do, around 70-80 lbs on those.
    - And also started with another arm strength machine where you sit and pull back towards you which I don't know what it's called which again, something to do.

And then I'll finish with 15-20 minutes on an exercise bike.

I never expected to be staying at the gym for 1.5-2 hours.

Psykoma on
  • Options
    FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    That last thing is probably a row. also good job! Also if it's a standard barbell it should weigh 45 pounds.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Umm...I'm really annoyed right now.

I've been sick a lot recently and winter is fast approaching. I have to deal with those harsh Midwest "stay in bed all day" winters so I'm kind of worried about keeping up with my weight.

Add in the double danger zone of both Thanksgiving and Christmas and I'm hoping I can just keep things stable.

Dragkonias on
This discussion has been closed.