As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PATV] Monday, April 28, 2014 - Penny Arcade: The Series Season 4, Ep. 11: The Rabbit Hole (4th Pane

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited April 2014 in The Penny Arcade Hub

image[PATV] Monday, April 28, 2014 - Penny Arcade: The Series Season 4, Ep. 11: The Rabbit Hole (4th Panel)

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Jerry's moment after finding out there is an anime is incredible. I could not help but laugh at that.

• Options
    KiddomacKiddomac Registered User new member
    is it just me, or is the microsoft-logo in the background just a little bit too visible? ;-)

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Kiddomac wrote: »
    is it just me, or is the microsoft-logo in the background just a little bit too visible? ;-)
    What are you getting at? Are you implying Microsoft paid Penny Arcade to have their logo visible?

• Options
    LRichLRich Registered User regular
    I totally understand the whole "hierarchy" reality concerning school and the many sub-groups and sub-cultures that are inherent in that setting. It's been my experience that these sub-groups and sub-cultures exist primarily due to insecurities on the part of those within the various sub-groups and sub-cultures, as well as those who are outside of them.

• Options
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    What are you getting at? Are you implying Microsoft paid Penny Arcade to have their logo visible?

this is what i'm asking. from what i know of the guys and penny-arcade as a whole it seems extremely unlikely. BUT Gabe has been an openly big fan of the surface-computers and is also being featured in a microsoft commercial.

i think the bag is just so prominently displayed behind him, that i'm wondering if it is a (jonathan frames voice) coincidence?! ;-)

i ain't even mad about it, i just found it almost jarring.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I watched the episode once when it was available for clubpa, and watched it again today.

Still didn't notice the microsoft bag.

I'm highly doubtful that they would clean up or organize their office before a shoot.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    YoungFrey wrote: »

this is what i'm asking. from what i know of the guys and penny-arcade as a whole it seems extremely unlikely. BUT Gabe has been an openly big fan of the surface-computers and is also being featured in a microsoft commercial.

i think the bag is just so prominently displayed behind him, that i'm wondering if it is a (jonathan frames voice) coincidence?! ;-)

i ain't even mad about it, i just found it almost jarring.

I assume they still follow the same ad ethics rules since Prince of Persia burned them. Which is, they have to try and approve of every product they sell ads for. So it's possible they sell placement in their vids, but if they do you can assume it's for a product they personally like.
    That said, I'm positive that isn't what happened here. Given this is some random video where they talk about whatever is on their minds, Microsoft would never pay for placement when they are likely get whatever vile stuff Jerry & Mike talk about. And PA would never accept the conditions Microsoft would ask for. Stuff like "if you talk about bestiality, you'll have to remove our logo and reshoot"

YoungFrey on
  • Options
    i agree with you all. i just needed to get this of my chest, since it struck me as so odd.

• Options
    Wind LaneWind Lane Registered User regular
    Yeah, I have no clue what bag you guys are talking about. Off to rewatch just to figure it out.

• Options
    Wind LaneWind Lane Registered User regular
    Okay, I'm just not seeing that as product placement. If it is, it's really crappy product placement and Microsoft should get their money back. The logo isn't facing, the bag isn't in some place of respect or prominence, and the only reason I know it's MS is because of that four color flag.

That's more brand recognition on my part than it is any kind of ad on their part.

• Options
    Dungeon QuestingDungeon Questing Registered User regular
    So what, honestly I don't even care. I hope they make a lot of money

cl9r71a9ukce.png

• Options
    cl9r71a9ukce.png

LOL

• Options
    QueslyQuesly Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    jerry's son3jph2wy3asyk.jpg

Quesly on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin

We don't do that.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    What's Wokfu? World Of Kung Fu?

OH! Wakfu. I've never heard of this either.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    illuminated.spaceilluminated.space Registered User new member
    It seems really funny to me that THIS is the episode that was out when I finally caught up with Penny Arcade The Series. I've literally fallen down the Penny Arcade rabbit hole. I started with Strip Search, then started reading the comic and started watching the series. People probably start following Penny Arcade because they are into video game culture, but I started getting back into video games again because of Penny Arcade. I haven't really played video games regularly since freshman year of college, and I'm now in grad school. Seeing Jerry and Mike talk about games made me remember how much I miss them and taught me that it's ok to like video games again. Their not a waste of time and I deserve to play them if I want. So, thanks Penny Arcade. I'm posting on the forums, I guess this is the point at which I know the hand has closed. Anyway, off to play Wakfu.

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    I played Wakfu while it was in beta with 3 other people. This was before they launched the whole subscription model.

It was co-op final fantasy tactics. And it was great. Just stopped playing when it costed money because I was a cheap college kid at the time.

• Options
    gliderglider Registered User new member
    I think there's a special type of hell for people who reference a joke and don't tell it.

Speaking of which, anyone knows what was the joke Jerrys son made?

• Options
    dead.juicedead.juice Registered User regular
    @Glider - I understand your pet peeve, but at the same time, this is their personal life and personal time when they record sessions like this.
    I don't mean that in a "Mind your own business!" way. Even as a huge fan of their personal recordings, it sucks for people like me to not to have a deeper perspective into their lives. (I mean beside all the other videos on PATV) It's better as it is now, than to have two egotistical braggarts flaunting every aspect of their personal lives.

When Jerry talked about making himself acceptable to people: I had to look up that phrase Jerry used, "Gin up". It technically means 'Stimulate' or 'Enliven'.
    I wish I knew how to do that for myself. When I meet someone new that I like, I say all the right things and pretend to be polite. But when I get to know them, and become comfortable with them, I become very forward and awkward, thankfully endearingly so.
    I wish I could just get my shit together, and be able to present myself properly to people I like or interact with.

• Options
    @dead.juice - yeah, I understand why it is the way it is but it really leaves this itchy feeling of "I really want to know this joke", amplified by the fact that it's a kid joke - those tend to be really naive and endearing. Tbh I think the best way to deal with this situation was to edit the reference out...

And I thought it was clear I was joking ;)

• Options
    ElhaymElhaym Registered User new member
    I'm a bit late to this discussion, but for those wondering about the alliteration joke, Jerry tweeted about it a while back. You can see it here:

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    I think the Jell-o Lanterns are non-alliterated as well.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Yeah, but he was going for a play on "Jack O'Lanterns".

sig.gif
  • Options
    Elhaym wrote: »
    I'm a bit late to this discussion, but for those wondering about the alliteration joke, Jerry tweeted about it a while back. You can see it here:
    I know I'm really late but I still want to say thanks for this post ;)
    Thanks!

@Sorce
    Yeah, but technically it makes it a pun, not an alliteration ;)

• Options
    JColoradoJColorado Registered User new member
    I find this episode funny because they're trying to write a comic and, imho, the first 6:00 contains the best material. They're talking about funny, honest, relatable stuff, which could easily be exaggerated and illustrated into a comic. Then at 6:13 Jerry says, "We should make a comic I guess" and they ditch the conversation entirely.

The comic they came up with is fine and good, and yeah it's a video game comic primarily, but it's funny to watch a brainstorming session that ignores the best stuff thrown against the wall.