As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sleepy [chat]

EchoEcho ski-bapba-dapModerator mod
EuH0AZn.gif

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    In her classic study of an African-American community in the late ’60s, the anthropologist Carol Stack found rich networks of reciprocal giving and support, and when I worked at low-wage jobs in the 1990s, I was amazed by the generosity of my co-workers, who offered me food, help with my work and even once a place to stay. Such informal networks — and random acts of kindness — put the official welfare state, with its relentless suspicions and grudging outlays, to shame.

BUT there are limits to the generosity of relatives and friends. Tensions can arise, as they did between Kristen and her mother, which is what led the Parentes to move to their current apartment in Wilmington. Sandra Smith, a sociologist at the University of California at Berkeley, finds that poverty itself can deplete entire social networks, leaving no one to turn to. While the affluent suffer from “compassion fatigue,” the poor simply run out of resources.

At least one influential theory of poverty contends that the poor are too mutually dependent, and that this is one of their problems. This perspective is outlined in the book “Bridges Out of Poverty,” co-written by Ruby K. Payne, a motivational speaker who regularly addresses school teachers, social service workers and members of low-income communities. She argues that the poor need to abandon their dysfunctional culture and emulate the more goal-oriented middle class. Getting out of poverty, according to Ms. Payne, is much like overcoming drug addiction, and often requires cutting off contact with those who choose to remain behind: “In order to move from poverty to middle class ... an individual must give up relationships for achievement (at least for some period of time).” The message from the affluent to the down-and-out: Neither we nor the government is going to do much to help you — and you better not help one another either. It’s every man (or woman or child) for himself.

i.e., avoiding the Family and Friends Network Social Insurance Bank with its extortionate interest rates and ulcer-generating deductibles measured in mental health, and instead using formal mechanisms of insurance and actual banks to defer consumption and shield against unexpected expenses.

So basically crab bucketing? A poor person helping another poor person impoverishes himself while not doing much to get the other poor person out of poverty?

It probably doesn't help that that exact behavior is idolized by society as a great thing.

• GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    @Echo‌ Geth really has a hard-on for making you create [chat] threads it seems.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Weighty Decisions
    By: Drez

"MORE PROTEIN BARS!" Father Time bellowed, to no one in particular. And yet, moments later, his basket was once again replete with protein bars which he immediately started shoveling into his gaping maw.

Father Time was enormous. His height had never been officially measured as there were no measuring tapes that stretched that far, but he was quite tall to say the least. He was rumored to be exactly 1073 feet tall, but that was just a rumor. Of course, they could have used other means of measuring him but, being simpletons, never figured out how.

His weight was another story entirely. Father Time weighed, at present, 6,960,598 pounds. He looked it, too. As one of his ex-servants had put it when asked for his honest opinion on the matter: "well, you could stand to lose a few pounds."

Equinox had built the 56th and Lexington gym on special order when Father Time angrily smashed the New York Health and Racquet Club they had specially built on 26th and 5th because his favorite personal trainer went on vacation to Maui for, in Father Time's words, "three fucking weeks." The entire building was demolished.

Now, Father Time was testing out the new gym and it's amenities. It was built to spec. And they did get his favorite protein bar, presumably in unlimited amounts. They even gave him a custom-tailored Equinox gym t-shirt which he had tucked into his gym sweats.

Thus far, he had been on the treadmill, done some wait lifting, and attended a rather brutal hip-hop spin class. Then he went to check his weight.

"6,960,599pounds? Really? I gained a pound? WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS?" he bellowed, to no one in particular.

Without waiting for a response, the now-irate Father Time, tears in his eyes, started tearing sections of the building apart with his bare hands and throwing it at other sections of the building.

Equinox staff, who had been warned about this sort of thing and had participated in numerous evacuation drills designed at getting everyone out calmly and safely in case this happened, flew into an immediate panic, running this way and that, trampling over one another, screaming, and so on, until the entire place was in a state of total chaos.

After a few moments, Father Time sat on some rubble that used to be the female locker rooms, put his giant head in his giant hands, and wept. "No one will ever love me," he whimpered between sobs. As if on cue, the sobbing had forced his stomach to expand and contract. Unbeknownst to all, Father Time had been sucking in his gut. And now, the Equinox t-shirt had popped out of his gym sweats, exposing his belly.

The Equinox CEO, who had been watching the launch event via webcam along with his direct reporting managers in Conference Room "Power" saw the giant's belly on the screen. In fact, the webcam was directly focused on it. Everyone in the room was repulsed. The CEO turned the TV off with one click of the remote.

"That, gentlemen," he said, "was a giant waist of Time."

The End

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    @podly re: ceviche

Have you considered two important facts though:
    1. I am awesome
    2. You are a dork

desc on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    DELISHUS LETIS

j/k fk letis get delicious crack cocaine

obF2Wuw.png
  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    someone should make a cautionary tale of horses about how horses will fucking kill you

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    OFh3C8P.jpg

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
    Okay now that I'm done dismissing any diets I don't like for knee jerk reasons, my weight has been exactly the same for months and this is unacceptable.

I guess I need to jog every day or something. This sucks and jogging sucks.

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    jogging is dumb and for dumbs fyi hth

poo
    YOGGING

poo
    that new todd terje album is good scheck i agree

poo
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    P10 wrote: »
    someone should make a cautionary tale of horses about how horses will fucking kill you

and accidentally too!

they're just too stupid and twitchy not to kill you

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    that new todd terje album is good scheck i agree

i am sorry there are no musicians named todd

Wqdwp8l.png
  • kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    apparently I am inheriting a cat temporarily out of parents' worries for their babby

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    In her classic study of an African-American community in the late ’60s, the anthropologist Carol Stack found rich networks of reciprocal giving and support, and when I worked at low-wage jobs in the 1990s, I was amazed by the generosity of my co-workers, who offered me food, help with my work and even once a place to stay. Such informal networks — and random acts of kindness — put the official welfare state, with its relentless suspicions and grudging outlays, to shame.

BUT there are limits to the generosity of relatives and friends. Tensions can arise, as they did between Kristen and her mother, which is what led the Parentes to move to their current apartment in Wilmington. Sandra Smith, a sociologist at the University of California at Berkeley, finds that poverty itself can deplete entire social networks, leaving no one to turn to. While the affluent suffer from “compassion fatigue,” the poor simply run out of resources.

At least one influential theory of poverty contends that the poor are too mutually dependent, and that this is one of their problems. This perspective is outlined in the book “Bridges Out of Poverty,” co-written by Ruby K. Payne, a motivational speaker who regularly addresses school teachers, social service workers and members of low-income communities. She argues that the poor need to abandon their dysfunctional culture and emulate the more goal-oriented middle class. Getting out of poverty, according to Ms. Payne, is much like overcoming drug addiction, and often requires cutting off contact with those who choose to remain behind: “In order to move from poverty to middle class ... an individual must give up relationships for achievement (at least for some period of time).” The message from the affluent to the down-and-out: Neither we nor the government is going to do much to help you — and you better not help one another either. It’s every man (or woman or child) for himself.

i.e., avoiding the Family and Friends Network Social Insurance Bank with its extortionate interest rates and ulcer-generating deductibles measured in mental health, and instead using formal mechanisms of insurance and actual banks to defer consumption and shield against unexpected expenses.

So basically crab bucketing? A poor person helping another poor person impoverishes himself while not doing much to get the other poor person out of poverty?

It probably doesn't help that that exact behavior is idolized by society as a great thing.

less cynically, it is an entirely logical attitude to take in a society where no actual accumulation "out of poverty" is possible, and all supernormal wealth is actually gained through luck. That is to say, an agricultural economy. Or - the kind of economy in which humanity lived for all of its existence save the last two to three hundred years or so, the kind which our moral precepts are actually adapted for. The economy of mutual aid and gifts.

aRkpc.gif

YYYYYYYY

Shaz wat I do

kaleedity wrote: »
    apparently I am inheriting a cat temporarily out of parents' worries for their babby

sounds like this is your cat now

Wqdwp8l.png
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Okay now that I'm done dismissing any diets I don't like for knee jerk reasons, my weight has been exactly the same for months and this is unacceptable.

Me? I run.

Was that the right amount of smug? I don't want to shortchange myself.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »

apparently I am not buying anything with the exception of litter

like they're supplying food

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Jogging is dumb. HIIT for your mans dem

YYYYYYYY

Shaz wat I do

other more cool things

let me finish some things at work and get lunch

then we will discuss

plans for BOTH OF US so i can do too

poo
    Elki wrote: »

Me? I run.

Was that the right amount of smug? I don't want to shortchange myself.

I feel like running hard is playing dice with my asthma whereas jogging like a doof seems to not trigger anything.

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    S2bS0lH.jpg

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    What's 2.2 miles in 22 minutes count as, jogging or running?

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    @podly re: ceviche

Have you considered two important facts though:
    1. I am awesome
    2. You are a dork

BUT

in a few hours

i'll be a dork with a sick drum compressor

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    technically his name is terje olsen

but his nom de plume is todd terje, because terje is pronounced like terry and todd terry was a famous house producer

but will wouldn't know that because his musical knowledge is basically the cd section at target

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular

jogging

Please consider the environment before printing this post.

apparently I am not buying anything with the exception of litter

like they're supplying food

once they realize how nice it is to not own a cat

and after the toxoplasmosis starts to die off

they will not take that cat back

Wqdwp8l.png

jogging

*Eats an entire ham in shame*

• zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular

less cynically, it is an entirely logical attitude to take in a society where no actual accumulation "out of poverty" is possible, and all supernormal wealth is actually gained through luck. That is to say, an agricultural economy. Or - the kind of economy in which humanity lived for all of its existence save the last two to three hundred years or so, the kind which our moral precepts are actually adapted for. The economy of mutual aid and gifts.

At least in America, the impoverished minorities are generally prevented through systematic and institutionalized discrimination from accumulating the wealth that's necessary to move out of poverty. When you can't receive the education or gainful employment (that normally comes from that education) which allows the accumulation of generational wealth, your situation isn't much different than that agrarian society.

For some poor black kid growing up in Detroit / New Orleans / Atlanta / etc, accumulating enough wealth to move 'out of poverty' is mostly just luck. They could be the hardest worker, but when the bus doesn't show up to get them to work on time, or discrimination by their supervisors and lack of education keeps them from reaching beyond an entry-level position, they are never going to move up to accumulate enough wealth to 'push' the next generation higher. There are exceptions, but there is a reason they are exceptions.

On top of that, if they can't count on stable employment and the societal safety net sucks, then there is a good chance that they will be down on their luck and needing that help somewhere down the line. Cutting ties is a good way to be left hanging...and that's not even getting into crime and violence that go hand in hand with poverty.

6 mph is a jog

Wqdwp8l.png
    Podly wrote: »

but his nom de plume is todd terje, because terje is pronounced like terry and todd terry was a famous house producer

but will wouldn't know that because his musical knowledge is basically the cd section at target

at least i'm not ignorant enough to listen to musicians named "todd"

Wqdwp8l.png
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Cat threw up. On my tax papers.

I don't think they'll accept that as an excuse.

• DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    hmmm, what do i feel like doing with the rest of my lunch break...

fucking around on the internets, watching something on netflix, or some other as of yet unexplored option

Echo wrote: »
    Cat threw up. On my tax papers.

I don't think they'll accept that as an excuse.

Mail them in anyway. Take that, Federal Government.

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »

At least in America, the impoverished minorities are generally prevented through systematic and institutionalized discrimination from accumulating the wealth that's necessary to move out of poverty. When you can't receive the education or gainful employment (that normally comes from that education) which allows the accumulation of generational wealth, your situation isn't much different than that agrarian society.

For some poor black kid growing up in Detroit / New Orleans / Atlanta / etc, accumulating enough wealth to move 'out of poverty' is mostly just luck. They could be the hardest worker, but when the bus doesn't show up to get them to work on time, or discrimination by their supervisors and lack of education keeps them from reaching beyond an entry-level position, they are never going to move up to accumulate enough wealth to 'push' the next generation higher. There are exceptions, but there is a reason they are exceptions.

On top of that, if they can't count on stable employment and the societal safety net sucks, then there is a good chance that they will be down on their luck and needing that help somewhere down the line. Cutting ties is a good way to be left hanging...and that's not even getting into crime and violence that go hand in hand with poverty.

I suspect that casual capital destruction - i.e., petty theft - going unanswered and unpoliced plays a much larger role, or the weakening of discrimination should have a larger impact on easing the poverty trap

it's nothing particularly abstract: your brother or your mother barging into your room and stealing your savings or pawning your stuff in a desperate, crazed desire to make the meth withdrawal stop

aRkpc.gif
    Podly wrote: »

at least i'm not ignorant enough to listen to musicians named "todd"

https://db.tt/WVsSU9n2

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
This discussion has been closed.