As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sleepy [chat]

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    What's 2.2 miles in 22 minutes count as, jogging or running?

Depends on the person.

2.2 @ 10 minute miles is a hard run for some people, a slow jog for others.

Don't think about it too much, just do what you can and keep trying to improve. If you can't do a faster pace, do a longer distance.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    So over the weekend, I've realized that working for the company I've worked at for 10 years has allowed me to build up a shit ton of petty grievances and stupid politics. And it's gotten to the point of being toxic. And since the company owners have changed their minds about doing the start up thing and going for a buy out, it's cut down on the incentive for me to stay. So I spent my weekend polishing up my resume and I've already submitted it once. So we'll see how the job search goes.

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    there was a particularly moving anecdote posted on Reddit of an addict selling the opportunity to rape her teenage daughter - the redditor's classmate - in a bid to afford more meth. I wonder how prevalent that sort of thing is, really.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    kill_all_cats.exe.jpg

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    kaleedity wrote: »
    apparently I am inheriting a cat temporarily out of parents' worries for their babby

Watch out for cat AIDS

• Options
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    So over the weekend, I've realized that working for the company I've worked at for 10 years has allowed me to build up a shit ton of petty grievances and stupid politics. And it's gotten to the point of being toxic. And since the company owners have changed their minds about doing the start up thing and going for a buy out, it's cut down on the incentive for me to stay. So I spent my weekend polishing up my resume and I've already submitted it once. So we'll see how the job search goes.

Getting out of a toxic workplace is crazy-good for you. Starting fresh sucks in some ways, but going from a toxic workplace to somewhere new that's not as bad completely changes everything. You don't even realize how much it ratchets up your stress and affects you in every part of your life.

Good for you, and good luck in the job search.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    You know, when I notice that I've taken too much onto my platter, I just keep eating anyway. There may be a lesson to learn here.

Avenge me.

• Options
    ronya wrote: »
    zagdrob wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    In her classic study of an African-American community in the late ’60s, the anthropologist Carol Stack found rich networks of reciprocal giving and support, and when I worked at low-wage jobs in the 1990s, I was amazed by the generosity of my co-workers, who offered me food, help with my work and even once a place to stay. Such informal networks — and random acts of kindness — put the official welfare state, with its relentless suspicions and grudging outlays, to shame.

BUT there are limits to the generosity of relatives and friends. Tensions can arise, as they did between Kristen and her mother, which is what led the Parentes to move to their current apartment in Wilmington. Sandra Smith, a sociologist at the University of California at Berkeley, finds that poverty itself can deplete entire social networks, leaving no one to turn to. While the affluent suffer from “compassion fatigue,” the poor simply run out of resources.

At least one influential theory of poverty contends that the poor are too mutually dependent, and that this is one of their problems. This perspective is outlined in the book “Bridges Out of Poverty,” co-written by Ruby K. Payne, a motivational speaker who regularly addresses school teachers, social service workers and members of low-income communities. She argues that the poor need to abandon their dysfunctional culture and emulate the more goal-oriented middle class. Getting out of poverty, according to Ms. Payne, is much like overcoming drug addiction, and often requires cutting off contact with those who choose to remain behind: “In order to move from poverty to middle class ... an individual must give up relationships for achievement (at least for some period of time).” The message from the affluent to the down-and-out: Neither we nor the government is going to do much to help you — and you better not help one another either. It’s every man (or woman or child) for himself.

i.e., avoiding the Family and Friends Network Social Insurance Bank with its extortionate interest rates and ulcer-generating deductibles measured in mental health, and instead using formal mechanisms of insurance and actual banks to defer consumption and shield against unexpected expenses.

So basically crab bucketing? A poor person helping another poor person impoverishes himself while not doing much to get the other poor person out of poverty?

It probably doesn't help that that exact behavior is idolized by society as a great thing.

less cynically, it is an entirely logical attitude to take in a society where no actual accumulation "out of poverty" is possible, and all supernormal wealth is actually gained through luck. That is to say, an agricultural economy. Or - the kind of economy in which humanity lived for all of its existence save the last two to three hundred years or so, the kind which our moral precepts are actually adapted for. The economy of mutual aid and gifts.

At least in America, the impoverished minorities are generally prevented through systematic and institutionalized discrimination from accumulating the wealth that's necessary to move out of poverty. When you can't receive the education or gainful employment (that normally comes from that education) which allows the accumulation of generational wealth, your situation isn't much different than that agrarian society.

For some poor black kid growing up in Detroit / New Orleans / Atlanta / etc, accumulating enough wealth to move 'out of poverty' is mostly just luck. They could be the hardest worker, but when the bus doesn't show up to get them to work on time, or discrimination by their supervisors and lack of education keeps them from reaching beyond an entry-level position, they are never going to move up to accumulate enough wealth to 'push' the next generation higher. There are exceptions, but there is a reason they are exceptions.

On top of that, if they can't count on stable employment and the societal safety net sucks, then there is a good chance that they will be down on their luck and needing that help somewhere down the line. Cutting ties is a good way to be left hanging...and that's not even getting into crime and violence that go hand in hand with poverty.

I suspect that casual capital destruction - i.e., petty theft - going unanswered and unpoliced plays a much larger role, or the weakening of discrimination should have a larger impact on easing the poverty trap

it's nothing particularly abstract: your brother or your mother barging into your room and stealing your savings or pawning your stuff in a desperate, crazed desire to make the meth withdrawal stop

Right. That's a short term and high impact issue.

But crime is a somewhat rational responses to a situation that offers no incentive or rewards for 'upstanding' behavior.

Even if you cut ties and avoid that casual destruction, you're still left with a situation where the odds are stacked against you and getting out of the trap is more luck than anything else.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

Getting out of a toxic workplace is crazy-good for you. Starting fresh sucks in some ways, but going from a toxic workplace to somewhere new that's not as bad completely changes everything. You don't even realize how much it ratchets up your stress and affects you in every part of your life.

Good for you, and good luck in the job search.

It's not that it's a particularly toxic workplace. It's just having been here so long that shit piles up to the point of being toxic for me. I'd recommend where I work for others. The other upside is that my salary was low on the basis of rolling the dice on that sweet, sweet start up buy out money. So no matter where I end up going, I'm likely to see a major raise even after cost of living adjustments. So that's nice.

It's just so easy to get stuck in a safe rut. And I've gone way too long without doing a State of the Tom that looks at my whole life, and you just need to do that some times.

• Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular

Were you going to look for something in the same field Thom or did you have an idea on something else?

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Who was buying Child of Light

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=809356

lost of reviews there, seems like a good yet easy game

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    g72aca422.jpg

morning, wangs

well, just past noon, wangs

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    wandering wrote: »

triplets of belleville right?

i remember liking that one

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    apparently I am inheriting a cat temporarily out of parents' worries for their babby

sounds like this is your cat now

apparently I am not buying anything with the exception of litter

like they're supplying food

once they realize how nice it is to not own a cat

and after the toxoplasmosis starts to die off

they will not take that cat back

I dunno dogg they are keeping their little kitty

I'm just getting ol big-fat until babby is too big to hurt

• Options
    Gonmun wrote: »

Were you going to look for something in the same field Thom or did you have an idea on something else?

I'm staying in the same field. I could go in a couple of directions but I'm thinking I'm going to go work for a competitor. I've worked for the small scrappy underdog. I want to see life from the big steamroller side. The other part is that most of my skill set isn't super transferable to other fields. I'm not quite qualified to be a PM. I could go freelance and consult but that fucking sucks.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    BmUqSlOCAAENCF7.png:large

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

Yeah, I need to find a job that pays at least roughly what I make now and will accept my 12 years experience here in lieu of a degree.

That would be nice.

• Options
    Also, I'm not tied to Houston anymore. I'm not being Skippy right now but I've lived here for a decade and a half and I have no special love for this city. Since Leigh is moving to New Haven, it seems like it's time for me to re-evaluate where I live.

• Options
    People like to express feelings of loss on Facebook for us all to witness, which okay, whatever.

I've seen a few times someone will say, "You are already missed, [person]."

Which sounds more like a threat than grief.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

Yeah, I need to find a job that pays at least roughly what I make now and will accept my 12 years experience here in lieu of a degree.

That would be nice.

Most do. 12 years of experience is way more valuable than a PhD in the field usually. Unless you were doing ground breaking research on your PhD.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options

That would be nice.

Are you me?

I'm in a much better workplace and so, so much happier...but sometimes wince about the $15k / year hit I took to come here.

Ah well, I'm still youngish.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »

triplets of belleville right?

i remember liking that one
    Correct

• Options

That would be nice.

Same boat but 10 years. The upside is that the job I applied for is exactly the same and my bullet points for what I do here and the bullet points of their job description match up perfectly. Along with some extra ones that I hope are at least tempting.

• Options
    bowen wrote: »

That would be nice.

Most do. 12 years of experience is way more valuable than a PhD in the field usually. Unless you were doing ground breaking research on your PhD.

Yeah.

Though I dunno if I want to stay in the aftermarket autoparts field as my only other job options are for really shitty companies.

So I'll have to find something related enough to my duties here, I guess.

Ugh. Just give me money and let me sleep, gawl.

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    Who was buying Child of Light

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=809356

lost of reviews there, seems like a good yet easy game

i am buying it. it looks gorgeous

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Couscous wrote: »
    In her classic study of an African-American community in the late ’60s, the anthropologist Carol Stack found rich networks of reciprocal giving and support, and when I worked at low-wage jobs in the 1990s, I was amazed by the generosity of my co-workers, who offered me food, help with my work and even once a place to stay. Such informal networks — and random acts of kindness — put the official welfare state, with its relentless suspicions and grudging outlays, to shame.

BUT there are limits to the generosity of relatives and friends. Tensions can arise, as they did between Kristen and her mother, which is what led the Parentes to move to their current apartment in Wilmington. Sandra Smith, a sociologist at the University of California at Berkeley, finds that poverty itself can deplete entire social networks, leaving no one to turn to. While the affluent suffer from “compassion fatigue,” the poor simply run out of resources.

At least one influential theory of poverty contends that the poor are too mutually dependent, and that this is one of their problems. This perspective is outlined in the book “Bridges Out of Poverty,” co-written by Ruby K. Payne, a motivational speaker who regularly addresses school teachers, social service workers and members of low-income communities. She argues that the poor need to abandon their dysfunctional culture and emulate the more goal-oriented middle class. Getting out of poverty, according to Ms. Payne, is much like overcoming drug addiction, and often requires cutting off contact with those who choose to remain behind: “In order to move from poverty to middle class ... an individual must give up relationships for achievement (at least for some period of time).” The message from the affluent to the down-and-out: Neither we nor the government is going to do much to help you — and you better not help one another either. It’s every man (or woman or child) for himself.

i.e., avoiding the Family and Friends Network Social Insurance Bank with its extortionate interest rates and ulcer-generating deductibles measured in mental health, and instead using formal mechanisms of insurance and actual banks to defer consumption and shield against unexpected expenses.

So basically crab bucketing? A poor person helping another poor person impoverishes himself while not doing much to get the other poor person out of poverty?

It probably doesn't help that that exact behavior is idolized by society as a great thing.

less cynically, it is an entirely logical attitude to take in a society where no actual accumulation "out of poverty" is possible, and all supernormal wealth is actually gained through luck. That is to say, an agricultural economy. Or - the kind of economy in which humanity lived for all of its existence save the last two to three hundred years or so, the kind which our moral precepts are actually adapted for. The economy of mutual aid and gifts.

At least in America, the impoverished minorities are generally prevented through systematic and institutionalized discrimination from accumulating the wealth that's necessary to move out of poverty. When you can't receive the education or gainful employment (that normally comes from that education) which allows the accumulation of generational wealth, your situation isn't much different than that agrarian society.

For some poor black kid growing up in Detroit / New Orleans / Atlanta / etc, accumulating enough wealth to move 'out of poverty' is mostly just luck. They could be the hardest worker, but when the bus doesn't show up to get them to work on time, or discrimination by their supervisors and lack of education keeps them from reaching beyond an entry-level position, they are never going to move up to accumulate enough wealth to 'push' the next generation higher. There are exceptions, but there is a reason they are exceptions.

On top of that, if they can't count on stable employment and the societal safety net sucks, then there is a good chance that they will be down on their luck and needing that help somewhere down the line. Cutting ties is a good way to be left hanging...and that's not even getting into crime and violence that go hand in hand with poverty.

I suspect that casual capital destruction - i.e., petty theft - going unanswered and unpoliced plays a much larger role, or the weakening of discrimination should have a larger impact on easing the poverty trap

it's nothing particularly abstract: your brother or your mother barging into your room and stealing your savings or pawning your stuff in a desperate, crazed desire to make the meth withdrawal stop

Right. That's a short term and high impact issue.

But crime is a somewhat rational responses to a situation that offers no incentive or rewards for 'upstanding' behavior.

Even if you cut ties and avoid that casual destruction, you're still left with a situation where the odds are stacked against you and getting out of the trap is more luck than anything else.

this should imply that the income mobility of unskilled immigrants should be worse - roughly as bad as domestic unskilled labour. instead they are, in conventional wisdom, much better and have been much better since the social survey has been a thing

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Also, I'm not tied to Houston anymore. I'm not being Skippy right now but I've lived here for a decade and a half and I have no special love for this city. Since Leigh is moving to New Haven, it seems like it's time for me to re-evaluate where I live.

are you moving with her?

i know you're from connecticut and probably feel like you've done that but it's definitely a step up from houston imo

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    kill_all_cats.exe.jpg
    Where is my Hail Hydra Caption?

• Options
    edited April 2014
    bowen wrote: »

That would be nice.

Yeah.

Though I dunno if I want to stay in the aftermarket autoparts field as my only other job options are for really shitty companies.

So I'll have to find something related enough to my duties here, I guess.

Ugh. Just give me money and let me sleep, gawl.

Damn it. I think you might be past me.

My past job was running the biggest salvage yard auto parts network.

zagdrob on
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    it seems extremely unreasonable to expect most humans to just cut ties with their family and childhood friends, however economically damaging those relationships may be

there's no need to postulate additional reasons to motivate why people might choose not to do so. in itself, it is extremely unpleasant

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2014

are you moving with her?

i know you're from connecticut and probably feel like you've done that but it's definitely a step up from houston imo

It depends on where I get a job. So right now I could end up in Oregon, Maryland, Mass, North Carolina, or a few other places. One option is even staying in Houston but with a different company. Mass is nice for the distance and it's close to the place I feel like home. But honestly I don't want to work for that company very much. So it's up in the air. The current plan with my lady love involves me racking up frequent flyer miles anyway. I like CT. I like New England. But I have the disadvantage of working in a field where the number of the major players is small.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    People like to express feelings of loss on Facebook for us all to witness, which okay, whatever.

My favourite is when people say something like everyone needs to just trust in God and everything will work out, if I comment that I disagree they will get angry and act offended. Like, they want everyone to listen to them, but under no circumstance will they listen to anyone else.

Those people get defriended pretty much immediately.

My life has gotten progressively better the further from any kind of religious fanaticism I take myself.

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    It's just so easy to get stuck in a safe rut. And I've gone way too long without doing a State of the Tom that looks at my whole life, and you just need to do that some times.

Indeed.

• Options

are you moving with her?

It depends on where I get a job. So right now I could end up in Oregon, Maryland, Mass, North Carolina, or a few other places. One option is even staying in Houston but with a different company. Mass is nice for the distance and it's close to the place I feel like home. But honestly I don't want to work for that company very much. So it's up in the air. The current plan with my lady love involves me racking up frequent flyer miles anyway. I like CT. I like New England. But I have the disadvantage of working in a field where the number of the major players is small.

well, if you decide on coming to the boston metro, i'd be happy to help you get settled. if you'd like i can keep my ear to the ground around here - i don't know your industry at all really but it sounds like you have a lot of breadth and would be a good fit for general tech integration & instrumentation stuff.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    d7Kzj4f.jpg
    Ronald McDonald, who represents the magic and happiness of the McDonald's brand is setting out on a global mission to rally the public through inspiring events.

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    how is ronald mcdonald's shirt unbutton but still appears to be wearing a bow tie?

is that actually like some sort of air sack?

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    d7Kzj4f.jpg
    Ronald McDonald, who represents the magic and happiness of the McDonald's brand is setting out on a global mission to rally the public through inspiring events.

He might want to start by making people want to trust the CEO's...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/mcdonald-s-canada-ceo-calls-foreign-worker-controversy-bullshit-1.2621151

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »

My favourite is when people say something like everyone needs to just trust in God and everything will work out, if I comment that I disagree they will get angry and act offended. Like, they want everyone to listen to them, but under no circumstance will they listen to anyone else.

Those people get defriended pretty much immediately.

My life has gotten progressively better the further from any kind of religious fanaticism I take myself.

this reads like you're going all aggressive atheist on someone coping with their grief

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Podly wrote: »
    how is ronald mcdonald's shirt unbutton but still appears to be wearing a bow tie?

is that actually like some sort of air sack?

It's a McOptical illusion.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
This discussion has been closed.