As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bohemia Interactive presents DayZ 1.0 or: Wait, It's Actually Out of Early Access?

• Options
    Ash of YewAsh of Yew Registered User regular
    Hey Chuwero!

Yeah loot is a mess, it's basically hardly worth the effort to loot anything but the mil bases. You can run to a mil base and get essentially the "best" clothing (m65 jackets, cargo pants, uniforms if thats your deal), the most reliant ammo/weapon spawns, as well as food. Some of the bunkers/tents seem to spawn almost nothing but bags of rice. It's pretty lame. There's a bit more loot off the coast in general, you should be able to find food at least, but overall the CLE is garbage right now. I do agree, the more buildings they add probably dilutes the loot more and more, since I don't think they're really upping the count. It seems like every patch they add cities worths of buildings, its getting ridiculous.

To use a map I think you put it in your hands, then use it off the hotbar, but it's been so long I dunno if it is functioning properly.

No side chat, maybe it will be a future option so they kept the options in.

Completely agree, 6+ months between patches is out of hand. Their development process of only releasing huge patches, and doing nothing in between is atrocious, they could at least make small tweaks between the big updates.

Any ways, I'm glad it seemed like a mostly positive experience for ya!

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Ash of Yew wrote: »
    Hey Chuwero!

Yeah loot is a mess, it's basically hardly worth the effort to loot anything but the mil bases. You can run to a mil base and get essentially the "best" clothing (m65 jackets, cargo pants, uniforms if thats your deal), the most reliant ammo/weapon spawns, as well as food. Some of the bunkers/tents seem to spawn almost nothing but bags of rice. It's pretty lame. There's a bit more loot off the coast in general, you should be able to find food at least, but overall the CLE is garbage right now. I do agree, the more buildings they add probably dilutes the loot more and more, since I don't think they're really upping the count. It seems like every patch they add cities worths of buildings, its getting ridiculous.

To use a map I think you put it in your hands, then use it off the hotbar, but it's been so long I dunno if it is functioning properly.

No side chat, maybe it will be a future option so they kept the options in.

Completely agree, 6+ months between patches is out of hand. Their development process of only releasing huge patches, and doing nothing in between is atrocious, they could at least make small tweaks between the big updates.

Any ways, I'm glad it seemed like a mostly positive experience for ya!

I guess balota doesn't count for a milspawn anymore? Wasn't shit there, and fewer buildings than in the mod.

but yeah, I was going to go explore the nwaf region buuut..that was only if I could get a car working, which I couldn't, because all that spawns apparently are tires, and making the SE/NW marathon jog is not an idea I relish, especially with how asthmatic the player characters are.. don't want to listen to someone huff and wheeze for 20+ minutes.

The game is almost playable, at least according to my brief foray yesterday..Just need to fix loot (and by extension, get rid of half the open buildings that dilute the looting) and add somewhat plentiful number of bikes (that disappear/respawn on restart, no biking to the NWAF and keeping mobility easily hidden in a bush forever)

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    I wanna play this tonight.

Other people should also play this with me tonight.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    vsove wrote: »
    I wanna play this tonight.

Other people should also play this with me tonight.
    give me a time.. and whatever chat software you use now

and a suppressed gun to shoot anyone but you in the ass, of course

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    I'd shoot for a cherno/balota/komorova spawn and make your way up the west side. Zelenogorsk also has some military spawns now, and there's deer stands/crashes along the way. It really doesn't take long to run north, probably like 15-20 mins. You can make it to a base without eating or drinking. You run about as fast as a bike in the mod you know... =P If you start playing with us all again, we also have barrels in pogo that are usually stocked.

Vehicle persistence is broken right now I believe. They are respawning even without restarts, so keeping one consistently is a no go I guess. Which sucks, but at the same time, the cleanup system on them before was garbage and they all disappeared from the map after a week or two. You can luck out and find one that is only missing a couple parts too.

Ash of Yew on
  • Options
    Oh one more thing, since even Hammy wasn't aware and it's not obvious in any way.

For all the pump/bolt action weapons you need to hit R to cycle the bolt, pump them whatever, after each shot. This is also how you clear jams on automatic weapons. To reload a magazine you have to either put it on the hot bar, or fully empty the one in the gun and then the middle mouse/function key will prompt a reload.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Oh one more thing, since even Hammy wasn't aware and it's not obvious in any way.

For all the pump/bolt action weapons you need to hit R to cycle the bolt, pump them whatever, after each shot. This is also how you clear jams on automatic weapons. To reload a magazine you have to either put it on the hot bar, or fully empty the one in the gun and then the middle mouse/function key will prompt a reload.

So.. avoid pumpaction/bolt action weapons because they are stupid and tedious.

edit
    Okay I'm gonna log in now and continue trekking west as per @Vsove's suggestion

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Logged in this morning, decided to try and make my way towards where you guys are.

made the run from Svet, to the NEAF, to Krasnostav.

By the time I got to Kras, I have been reunited with my precious Barry. A player thought I would be easy to kill cause I had Barry in my hands. I ran across the entire width of Kras and he chased me the entire time. Alright, You aint giving up? Time to defend Barry's honor.

Drop Barry on the ground, pull out my splitting axe. Other player comes at me with a machete. I smash his fucking skill in like a Viking berserker with my axe until he dies, then give it 5 more blows because Barry is angry.

Inspect the body..It was fucking Hitler. Literally, the players name was Hitler.

So, of course, I did what had to be done.

I took his machete and dressed the body, and now have an inventory full of Hitler steaks.

edit
    I took a screen shot, but apparently it decided to ignore the entire fullscreen game window..and take an image of my desktop instead, because that's obviously what I wanted.

edit
    Miscalculated my trajectory. Ended up at Devils Castle. No big deal, I am now Knightcleft, Wielder of the Cleftreaver.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    I'll be gone for a week on Tuesday fellers. I expect you all to do great things in my absence.

• Options
    I dropped a scoped trumpet and a bunch of various mags (glocks, aks, mp5s, etc) in the barrels. I'm off on my way back to the nsfw to get more loots die horrifically.

• Options
    haha we probably don't need any trumpets, but the scope is useful. Same with stuff like mp5 mags and a lesser extent glock mags. Of course, if you're planning to use them, then by all means store those sorta things.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    haha we probably don't need any trumpets, but the scope is useful. Same with stuff like mp5 mags and a lesser extent glock mags. Of course, if you're planning to use them, then by all means store those sorta things.

I don't know what the trumpet is, but its the first scope I saw so I figured it'd be useful.

As for the barrels, eh..I didn't help place or stock them, so I'm fine just dumping good loots into them. At least I don't worry about losing the good loots when I get shot if I do that. Every one I saw was practically full though.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    yeah take whatever you want from them. I think the only thing you might wanna be hesitant about is winchestor ammo (.308) and any really fancy guns like FN FALS or SVDs and such (don't currently have any). The winchestor ammo in particular is quite rare right now.

But the run of the mill stuff just go for it, that's what it's for.

As for trumpets, they are .22's so they just plink. They're a good source for scopes this patch though.

• Options
    yeah take whatever you want from them. I think the only thing you might wanna be hesitant about is winchestor ammo (.308) and any really fancy guns like FN FALS or SVDs and such (don't currently have any). The winchestor ammo in particular is quite rare right now.

But the run of the mill stuff just go for it, that's what it's for.

As for trumpets, they are .22's so they just plink. They're a good source for scopes this patch though.

Well fuck, if I knew it was only a .22 I'd have kept it...Speaking of which, WHEN AM I GONNA GET MY BIZON BACK.

• Options
    I just want to say that on the rare occasion I actually watch a DayZ video, I am immediately grateful for our group. It is incredible how obnoxious the majority of people's groups seem to be, with people (often kids) yelling and screaming at each other. Like, aside from just sounding like intolerable people, even their communication in terms of getting across strategic information is just atrocious.

Thx for being coool folk that I've been able to play with for years now!

• Options
    edited June 2016
    I just want to say that on the rare occasion I actually watch a DayZ video, I am immediately grateful for our group. It is incredible how obnoxious the majority of people's groups seem to be, with people (often kids) yelling and screaming at each other. Like, aside from just sounding like intolerable people, even their communication in terms of getting across strategic information is just atrocious.

Thx for being coool folk that I've been able to play with for years now!

Sovietwomble, on the very very rare occasion that he plays DayZ stand alone, is pretty watchable. His streams only stay on twitch for like 30 or so days though, and he doenst upload them to youtube, so its a tight viewing window. His opinions on stand alone roughly match up with mine, with the same shock that .60 was actually playable and the first step back to DayZ and away from apocalypse farmer simulator 2015.

But other than him, yeah, I agree. Its either what you said, or some hyper military guys trying to be super tacticool and spending hours trying to hunt down and kill a single player who isn't even aware of them much less a threat.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    I've been futzing around the nwaf and honestly outside of the clothes the loots seem..underwhelming. only thing of note I've found in days is a single box of 556, which let me fill a second cmag

• Options
    It's Canada Day! I may be on late tonight.

We'll see how much delightful Canadian beer I partake in.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I rewatched some of Bor's old vids and I wanted to say 'thank you' for putting up with me and accepting me right from the start, despite the all-too-frequent friendly fire incidents and my foreign ways

It means a lot!

• Options
    I rewatched some of Bor's old vids and I wanted to say 'thank you' for putting up with me and accepting me right from the start, despite the all-too-frequent friendly fire incidents and my foreign ways

It means a lot!

You're an integral part of this team, Platy.

In large part -because- of your friendly fire incidents.

More seriously, I'm so glad to have a group where I don't have to excuse people's shitty racism, misogyny, or transphobic/homophobic remarks.

Y'all are great.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    Oh sure @vsove, you forgive @Platypus Beirut's actual friendly fire, but you wont get over the shot in the ass you took from an obviously hostile force and blamed on me.

• Options
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Oh sure @vsove, you forgive @Platypus Beirut's actual friendly fire, but you wont get over the shot in the ass you took from an obviously hostile force and blamed on me.

NEVER FORGET.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    vsove wrote: »

NEVER FORGET.

I TOTALLY DIDNT NOT SHOOT YOU IN THE ASS.

• Options
    I was having weird DayZ dreams last night. The end result was me rage quitting (and subsequently waking up) after losing a fight because of a bug. It was quite accurate.

Also, I was gonna run to pogo last night and found a sword at sword stairs. Then some british kid tried to hold me up in the Nadezhino police station with a sporter. He kept telling me to "put your hands up mate" but when I rushed at him his voice wavered. I managed to kill him before bleeding out myself.

• Options
    I was having weird DayZ dreams last night. The end result was me rage quitting (and subsequently waking up) after losing a fight because of a bug. It was quite accurate.

Also, I was gonna run to pogo last night and found a sword at sword stairs. Then some british kid tried to hold me up in the Nadezhino police station with a sporter. He kept telling me to "put your hands up mate" but when I rushed at him his voice wavered. I managed to kill him before bleeding out myself.

I have a helmet and sword, I was gonna leave it for you but you said you were leaving for a week so I kept it and beheaded many zombies around the NWAF.

Unfortunately, as I believe I've gone over before, I'm sorely disappointed with the NWAF loots and didn't want to leave the region everyone else was in, so I've not played much.

@Ash of Yew if you still want the sword just say the word we can meet up somewhere.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Thanks for the offer, but I think I wanna shoot some people for now.

All but the pink roof barrel disappeared. It was compromised before I left, whoever found it inadvertently has been refreshing it. I guess they must be on about a week timer.

Also, the server crashes are a known issue not unique to our own.

Ash of Yew on
  • Options
    I hit the jackpot on .308 ammo at the myshkino tents, finding 4 boxes in one of the wooden stands. I've heard rumors of similar finds by other people, so I'm starting to think maybe they upped the spawn rate finally.

I moved the pink roof barrel into ham's old bush spot. There's an ak101 in there but if anyone finds something better feel free to toss it, as there are no mags.

• Options
    I found 2 more barrels, one is behind green house again and the other is in my fence/bush spot.

• Options
    Ya'll need to either use and lose all this junk we got or find me more barrels.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I think we need to play with Vsove

• Options
    WHOA WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY THAT

I'll be around tonight.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    My excuse is

I'm training for a half marathon.

And after my run tonight I couldn't make it up the stairs.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    I miss my bizons.

I wish they'd put the bizon in the game.

NO SPELLCHECK I DONT WANT TO SPELL BISON STOP CORRECTING IT WHEN I CORRECT YOU.

• Options
    It wasn't only my blood.
    PzAafQ9.jpg

Just mostly...

• Options
    edited July 2016
    I have put a barrel close to sword stairs (its up the road at pink roof house) and I have filled it with swords... Let the slaughter begin.
    MZn9Q8a.jpg

Ash of Yew on
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Onward trusty steed!
    z23lEe6.jpg

Or maybe not...
    XYsbqbb.jpg

Cars look absolutely hilarious when you wreck them now, all the parts just pop off as the car shakes like crazy and the tires turn ruined.

In other news, pub barrel is restored.

Ash of Yew on
  • Options
    did they fix cars disappearing on respawn?

• Options
    edited July 2016
    did they fix cars disappearing on respawn?

I don't think so. That said, it makes it fairly easy to get one going, because they spawn in varying states and pretty reliably in the same places. That one was at prig and I've seen it respawning there every time I get a spawn. I had actually found a barrel near it and I was going to just start putting parts in the barrel there, so as to eventually scrap it enough for a working vehicle. Some one else apparently was doing something similar as I found 2 more barrels at the nearby church with a few parts in them. In any case, I actually initially drove it with 3 wheels (it handled fine) and then came upon another sedan which I stole a wheel from.

Now it's probably respawned back there again.

Avoid buses and the V3S, they are buggy in that they are extremely difficult to gain momentum initially because they don't have enough power.

Ash of Yew on
  • Options
    need to set a time to get the ol' squad back together for some ops.

to bad we cant take over cherno and issue a challenge to the entire server to take it from us because of no global chat.

• Options
    Bororm and I went on a two (well, one and a half, really) day adventure in Rust.

Problem with Rust is the same as the problem in so many of these games, and it's that there's nothing to do in the late game. At least in DayZ, there are no permanent bases, so you can't just stockpile resources until you're able to regear after death in under ten minutes.

It'll be interesting to see what their 'base building' ends up looking like. I like having some degree of permanence, but when you make it almost impossible to break into someone else's base, it removes so much of the tension.

Versus our tents in DayZero, which are still, to me, the best base ever.

WATCH THIS SPACE.