As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bohemia Interactive presents DayZ 1.0 or: Wait, It's Actually Out of Early Access?

• Ash of YewAsh of Yew Registered User regular
    Here's the result of my sword adventures thus far.
    https://youtu.be/MQXpJTqijKU

Welp, servers been down about 4 days now so I guess there goes our home.

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I just realized I never said conglaturations on swording someone

So

Conglaturations

Thanks!

The server came back but it was wiped, so all the barrels are gone. Vsove found another server I'll probably check out next time I play:

get geared or die trying

Seems to have a healthier population.

• ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Anyone seen or tried Miscreated?

Looks like a much better done DayZ epoch, with decent reviews on steam.

I think Vsove has. He said it wasn't very intuitive.

Hicks and Valdark would probably be best friends

Ash of Yew wrote: »
    Hicks and Valdark would probably be best friends

well, to be fair, he probably gets paid to casually stroll around chernarus.

Wombat, Vsove and I have been playing some arma 3 exile on the new map.

We are pretty much the best there ever was.

• Lord HomsarLord Homsar Lord of Hammers Registered User regular
    Internets is back up, and new gaming box is almost up and running. After I get it working properly, I'm gonna buy the arma 3 expansion.

steam_sig.png
    The ultimate hunters get the ultimate prey
    C9F51754468A551594106D2319F9CA195CA219D9

• HamuelHamuel voted most likely to clip through the ground Registered User regular
    I have finished moving to the land of high rent. It is DayZ time.

edited September 2016
    https://trello-attachments.s3.amazonaws.com/547c4a954dad7ad76b9cb6a1/57c0b25c3f2de7ff0dbedcdb/60e4ce88a2b98d10f607ee302161ec34/Shadows.mp4

Hilarious. Eugen made a post going into more detail about their development process in response to criticism about why things are taking so long. Hicks then tells them to delete it. Can this fucken guy get any worse?
    They put it back up, because there wasn't actually anything wrong with it.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/52mv1g/eugen_hartons_comment_about_the_development_an/

Ash of Yew on
    Decided to play around in Arma 3 epoch, not for any particular reason than I was bored and it was there.

Long story short, found an airfield, there was the Totally Not A-10 Warthog sitting on the runway.

I get in it, flaps down, engine on, get ready to take off..and apparently for some reason immediately ejected high, high into the air... with no parachute. the resulting blood splatter was very Escheresque.

I looked at DayZ's Steam store page and where is that supposed to be

I wanna go to there but I think it probably doesn't currently exist on the map

edited September 2016
    I looked at DayZ's Steam store page and where is that supposed to be

I wanna go to there but I think it probably doesn't currently exist on the map

Maaaybe Altar? Since they kept talking about making it some sort of radio station hub. Or else maybe some where in the mess that is the new big military base.

Ash of Yew on
  • HamuelHamuel voted most likely to clip through the ground Registered User regular
    I think this thread is going to lock soon. Whoever makes the next one, please do a better job caring about the game than I have.

• Karrde1842Karrde1842 Registered User regular
    It doesn't seem like anyone really plays this game consistently anymore. Sad. I've had fun following the thread and playing with you guys back in the day.

We got till 99 pages don't we? I dunno how these things work.

1 patch in the last 9 months is killing this game something fierce. I really don't understand why they can't do some minor content patches/bug fixes between the big updates to keep things alive. Sure we'll see another resurgence when it finally does patch, but that's a horrible way to keep a game going, and they're going to bleed players.

Mods will probably breathe new life into it when all is said and done, but that's a crappy goal imo.

Throw us a bone Bohemia :[

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    How are they generating income off the game these days?

They had the majority of their sales within the first 4 months. Here's a recent quote on the subject:
    DayZ Standalone sales were great: 1m sales in a month and 2m sales in four months, then they slowed and reached 3m sales in 13 months. That was in January 2015, so what are they today, a year-and-a-half later? Hicks estimates around 3.7m - apparently SteamSpy is off by "a couple of hundred thousand".

So they still have sales trickling in. Just tonight I saw a reddit post by some one saying him and 4 of his friends had just started the game.

Here's that full article for anyone interested: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-09-20-is-dayz-still-coming-out-on-console-and-you-know-wth-is-going-on

The thread is going to lock around 4k posts or a hundred pages on standard settings

The lack of patches is indeed a bit demoralizing

edited September 2016
    I still continue to be infuriated by the fact that they are taking all these weird directions with the stand alone. Its starting to feel very DwarfFortressy, with an incredibly unnecessary amount of detail on things that don't need it for no other reason than they can. I don't need to open the hood of the car and have to physically find and target the battery to replace it to have fun, this is the antithesis of fun, there are other ways for me to scratch that itch if I ever get insane and have such an itch, and I don't care if theres immersive predator/prey behavior between wolves and deer or whatever else.

and I still say it was a massive mistake to have literally every building enterable too, it inflated the functional size of the gameworld by unfathomable magnitudes, and diluted the loot spawns to the point that its a massive effort to have to find anything, especially as a frehs spawn, in anything but the smallest towns. I think the mod had a fairly decent balance between static structures and actually enterable ones.

Has there been positive progress? Sure, I can be in elektro and get a fairly decent 50-60fps. That's an impressive improvement over how much of a slog it was before.. but a lot of the major FPS loss was, again, from all the buildings being enterable and all the interior details requiring a shitton more horse power than just static unenterables.

I wish there wasn't such bias against going back to the mod, cause I miss dayzeroing, and epoching, and overpoching, and shit with you guys. Then again, with Bohemia's changing to allow server hosts to charge for and sell pay2win packages (Which is something me and @Vsove discovered a long time ago when we were still on mod) finding a decent server for anything but DayZero is damn near an impossible task.

edit

Hmm..lets try to be more succinct with what I'm trying to get across. They should have started with what the mod had as a base, It'd let them get a mostly complete idea out there that had things to do, and replayability, and fun, Then from there they could have worked on these fanciful ideas and slowly implemented them as they were developed, instead of wasting all the time and resources on them from the start and requiring delaying cars and tents, for example, by years.

Like, when building a house..you focus on the damn roof and walls first. Then you make the interior pretty once its sealed from the elements. Stand Alone.. They don't have a roof and only have half their walls, but they are working and wasting time on drywall and solid oak floors.

Buttcleft on
    edited September 2016
    Completely disagree with a good bit of that. They barely touched the things you're complaining about. They got the foundations for them in then have left them all underdeveloped, which is actually part of the cause for the staleness currently. I wish they'd polish up some of the mechanics they introduced. Crafting, hunting, farming are all so barebones and I begin to wonder if they'll even complete them.

I do agree there are too many buildings at this point. I don't think making every building enterable was a bad idea, but then they went and added way too many is the real problem. Cherno is some sprawling mess now. It feels more like an actual city, which is neat, but the current map is just too big for the current pop. Maybe that will change if they can ever get 120+ people, but they're making pretty much no progress there.

I think they've done a decent job of laying foundations in the SA and not getting caught up on details. The problem now is that they've waited 2 and a half years to make some of their biggest changes yet (renderer/controller/animator) which is kind of ass backwards if you ask me, but I get the impression they didn't really intend to change some of those till halfway through development. I just think it's a good time to actually start polishing some of those mechanics you're complaining about between these huge patches to actually give us something to do.

If standalone has anything right now it's an incomplete foundation that they're still working on. Actually, probably the best analogy at the moment would be we're waiting for the concrete to set up right now, which is why developments become so boring. Nevermind walls and roofs, they don't even seem to be there yet. And it's looking more and more like they might not even bother with those and let the players do the rest (modding).

As an aside, the only thing the SA is really missing when compared to the mod right now is helicopters and boats. Persistence for camps has been in for a long time now. The base experience has been comparable to the mod for probably close to two years now.

Ash of Yew on
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    I still continue to be infuriated by the fact that they are taking all these weird directions with the stand alone. Its starting to feel very DwarfFortressy

I don't want to hear you talking shit about Dwarf Fortress ever again. That game is a SOLID GOLD TREASURE.

edited September 2016
    Hamuel wrote: »
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    I still continue to be infuriated by the fact that they are taking all these weird directions with the stand alone. Its starting to feel very DwarfFortressy

I don't want to hear you talking shit about Dwarf Fortress ever again. That game is a SOLID GOLD TREASURE.

Listen, I have no problem with Dwarf Fortress.

I just don't want that kind of beautiful dev lunacy in other games.

@Ash of Yew I agree that Cherno is to huge, they could trim the map just down to Cherno and the suburbs and still support 60 players without much issue.

Buttcleft on
    edited September 2016
    Last night I had a DayZ dream where I was playing with Hicks. He kept trying to make me do survival junk, and I was doing it but I was goofing off and he didn't really like that. I ended up getting pissed off at him and leaving. Any ways, he also seemed obsessed with flying planes in my dream, so imagine my surprise when I checked the latest status report and saw this.

https://trello.com/c/607yllpt/133-crop-duster-airplane-bumblebee
    bumblebeeAirplane01.png

Ash of Yew on
    Ash of Yew wrote: »
    Last night I had a DayZ dream where I was playing with Hicks. He kept trying to make me do survival junk, and I was doing it but I was goofing off and he didn't really like that. I ended up getting pissed off at him and leaving. Any ways, he also seemed obsessed with flying planes in my dream, so imagine my surprise when I checked the latest status report and saw this.

https://trello.com/c/607yllpt/133-crop-duster-airplane-bumblebee
    bumblebeeAirplane01.png

wake me up in four years when that gets added

• MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    So, a long time ago -- I am thinking back in maybe 2012. We used to play on our own PA Server called "The Clam." @bowen was there. One day we were all up by the lumber-mill which was a building hiiiigh up in the North Eastern border we had a lot of cars and stuff hidden around there. Anywho. The group came under heavy sniper fire from a someone up in the woods about 500 meters on the ridge-line to the north. He took out someone driving a car and took a few more pot-shots around the people at the mill. Another one of the group members tried to flank the sniper in the woods (i think they were on a bike) and managed to also get himself killed by the same sniper. The group then went on to try to chase that sniper for a while.

I don't know if anyone from that old group still reads the DayZ thread, I know I haven't played in years. But I just want to say -- It was me. I was that sniper up in the trees.

EDIT -- I actually found @Axen posting about it in an old thread!

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/28779951#Comment_28779951

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    wait I played with you bros?

I don't remember that at all!

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    I'd be interested in getting the standalone if I had a few people to play with, I dunno, what's to do in this game besides "absolutely nothing"?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    Maybe it wasn't you Bowen. I know it was Axen, and Shiashi and Wolvesight... Its been soooo long ago.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
    I still consider our group (which originated on Tasteticle's Murderhouse server) active but I don't know if I can recommend buying the standalone at this point in time

I still consider our group (which originated on Tasteticle's Murderhouse server) active but I don't know if I can recommend buying the standalone at this point in time

Yeah, stand alone is..blegh.

unfortunately, many DayZ servers are monetized now, so all that's really left of the really great servers is DayZero.

any other games you guys are playing instead? I have ark but it has worn thin on me with the whole dinosaur nonsense (which is cool at first)

Please note I do not share any of Buttcleft's opinions on the standalone

bowen wrote: »
    any other games you guys are playing instead? I have ark but it has worn thin on me with the whole dinosaur nonsense (which is cool at first)

Some of us play Arma 3 Exile/Rust but I think it's more of an occasional thing

I love the story MagicPrime.

Our groups in a bit of a lull when it comes to these games at the moment. I know Ham was wanting to play again, but I find my own enthusiasm pretty low right now.

I still think it's as fun as you want to make it though. There's as much as ever to do in the SA, and the performance is better than arma now. There's definitely faults, but the main thing for me is the development has just gone stale.

• Lord HomsarLord Homsar Lord of Hammers Registered User regular
    Some Rusting might be in order, methinks.

steam_sig.png