As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bohemia Interactive presents DayZ 1.0 or: Wait, It's Actually Out of Early Access?

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Ash of Yew wrote: »
    Here's a non shitty result of ragdolls and a dead person at least
    http://imgur.com/a/kYcAs

I think I would have prefered death animations (like RO2 for instance) rather than ragdolls.

While I actually really like that series of images (The empty road and glowstick really sell the atmosphere) that'll be the exeption, not the rule.

re: Spawning. Once they put in permanent structures, maybe securing the spawn to it might be an idea?

i.e. the last camp you setup, you spawn within ~500m of it or something.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    Ash of YewAsh of Yew Registered User regular
    I completely agree about the ragdolls, not really looking forward to them.

And yeah I'm sorta hoping they do something where when you build a base you can spawn in the vicinity or something. Maybe similar to rust where you have to put down an item (sleeping bag) and it has a timer. So you can respawn on it once every 20 minutes. Gives you the ability to defend your base and respawn once but then you gotta run back after that or whatever. Obviously tons of balancing issues, but I'd just like to see something along those lines.

• Options
    Karrde1842Karrde1842 Registered User regular
    But that isn't realistic! So it will never happen.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I completely agree about the ragdolls, not really looking forward to them.

And yeah I'm sorta hoping they do something where when you build a base you can spawn in the vicinity or something. Maybe similar to rust where you have to put down an item (sleeping bag) and it has a timer. So you can respawn on it once every 20 minutes. Gives you the ability to defend your base and respawn once but then you gotta run back after that or whatever. Obviously tons of balancing issues, but I'd just like to see something along those lines.

Yup. Balance can be maintained by having it be destructable (maybe a scailing system of difficulty if they implement full on base building*) and some sort of decay if you don't visit it every x days.

And though I'm not a huge fan of people being able to affect your personal experience while you're offline, it could work in this game.

*not sure how I feel about mod level of base building. Small camps with tents and boarding up exisitng buildings is probably my prefered level. But that's just based off idle thoughts.

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    arguments of "realism" can realistically suck my dick

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    arguments of "realism" can realistically suck my dick

if only they could

• Options
    Let Fyndir talk, ya chatter boxes.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    I'm getting sick of AKMs, in the current state of the game there's no easy access to a good counter to them.

In the mod, all the guns were pretty even in their lethality, and it wasn't very difficult to get an automatic weapon. If a guy had a .50 cal or something, you could just sneak up and spray him or pop him in the head or whatever. In the SA against a geared player (which every fucker with an akm is) it takes like 3+ mosin rounds to kill them. Unless you're sniping or a super sneaker, you're just not going to get 3 shots off on a fucker who can shoot 30 rounds in like literally 3 seconds. I even had a mp5 vs akm fight, where we sprayed each other and I saw 3+ hits and the guy didn't give a shit. Not that the mp5 is a powerful gun, but it's the only other automatic spawning right now.

At least with the m4 it took a fair amount of rounds, and was inaccurate at distance (which is bad but matches the other weapons.) The AKM has very low dispersion (supposedly none actually) so even at medium ranges it out classes pretty much every other gun.

So I feel like the AKM is op for the current state of the game. Once they get more assault rifles and stuff in it ought to even out, but for the current shit it's just dumb. Besides the SKS, every other accessible rifle right now is either bolt action or limited capacity vs what's essentially a machine gun as far as gameplay is concerned.

You also can't go to berezino without running into 3+ guys with them, which I find to be suspect at best. They need to fix duping bad.

Ash of Yew on
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    The CZ rifle they're adding was originally going to shoot 5.56 which seemed goofy to me since that's pretty weak, but now it's going to shoot the 7.62x39 like the sks/akm, which for sniping purposes doesn't seem much better to me and with the added detriment of not being as silly as 5.56. Really it shoulda just been the mosin rounds imo as the game could use another "sniper" rifle. Where's that SVD they've been promising any ways?

It's gonna be released without a scope too apparently, which means it'll have its own scope I suppose.

Also, Ham and I went to the nwaf and killed a bunch of dudes. It was pretty satisfying.

Ash of Yew on
  • Options
    HamuelHamuel voted most likely to clip through the ground Registered User regular
    http://i.imgur.com/eQg8EGP.jpg

great, this is something we need.

more racist teenagers running around with camo mtn backpacks full of hacked mags

• Options
    I hope that's fake or something cuz at least before the drawback of mountain packs was they were bright.

It's really stupid how all the camo stuff also has the most capacity clothing wise, so this is just dumb.

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    I always wish they'd made the most useful clothing the most impractical. Bright orange, pink, whatever. I still wear it but I'd rather the choice wasn't 'brightly coloured but low storage' or 'high storage and TACTICOOL'.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    ManTrap and I rocked like 3 kitted dudes in a hangar at the nwaf.

I am becoming convinced that the people at the nwaf are all bad at peeveepee and just looking for goodies. Cuz the majority of the guys I've encountered in the last 2 days seemed fairly clueless.
    Like those guys had 3 people and I went to the opposite side of their hangar entrance, with ManTrap on the original side we encountered them, and even after shooting at them a bit none of them turned to face my side and all kept focus on her.

Then the guys Ham and I encountered last night at the firestation sorta just came out of cover and looked around like a bunch of goofs.

Rocket mentioned trying to push it to stable by the end of the month, so likely next wednesday. I think they're already running into some hang ups though, so I'm not getting too excited.

Ash of Yew on
  • Options
    HamuelHamuel voted most likely to clip through the ground Registered User regular
    Hamuel wrote: »

more racist teenagers running around with camo mtn backpacks full of hacked mags

this is fake, disregard me

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Anyone popping on tonight?

• Options
    edited July 2014

this is fake, disregard me

I think that body armor I posted was a fake too. The model exists but they said they aren't doing anything with it yet, so it was a fake description/texturing I guess.

People are getting pretty elaborate with their balogney it seems!

This, however, is real

Ash of Yew on
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    You should come and join us, @Flarne!

• Options
    So loot cycling is back http://imgur.com/a/aQ7QP
    I'm sure they'll work it out since this is literally days after implementation of the loot respawn system.

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/2brzuf/an_album_of_loot_cycling_and_its_effects_on_the/

• Options
    So I was told that the first itteration of persistent loot will be that anything you drop stays after server reset.

Now I guess of ways to do persistent loot, it's the easiest, but it seems that all that means is that the servers will be brought down by flashlights.

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    They've supposedly got some precautions in place so there's a cap on the items per server it sounds like. I dunno how it works, but I'd imagine it just starts eating up items that are dropped or something after a certain limit. If that is true, people will end up seeing items disappearing in front of them constantly when the cap is reached, which will be very annoying.

But then again, the DayZ team seems really prone to overlooking the simplest shit so we'll see. I'm also very skeptical right now of how they'll avoid that issue.

On the topic of loot respawn and persistent objects, it may be time to start paying attention to what servers we're playing and try to pick a good one or two to stick to. We should be able to stash items once it hits stable and should probably figure out a cool spot to do it.

There's not a lot of super cool loot right now any ways though but I'm sure it would be nice to hide some grenades or scoped mosins and what not. Maybe some bright blue check shirts =P

Just something we should keep in mind.

Ash of Yew on
  • Options
    IT WAS A BAD DAY OF DAYZ

• Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    I enjoyed my adventure last night.

Bit sad that we died and I lost my collection of awesome hats though.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    I axed a guy a few questions and managed to dodge all the shots he fired from his Mosin

Can't wait until there's some kind of sword in the game

Doesn't matter if its some internet-bought katana sitting in a home or an old sword you can find in a castle or a museum

Platy on
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    I axed a guy a few questions and managed to dodge all the shots he fired from his Mosin

Can't wait until there's some kind of sword in the game

Doesn't matter if its some internet-bought katana sitting in a home or an old sword you can find in a castle or a museum

Either way you will do your best to recreate the Soul Blade Mitsurugi ending, right?

• Options
    My ideal outfit would consist of a bow, a sword and mud painted over my character's face and arms

The bow in its current state is kinda bad though

• Options
    I was thinking about renting a server through a hosting service but they're much more expensive than they were for the mod (up to eight times as expensive). I think this can probably be blamed on the fact that Bohemia has only allowed three providers to host servers which means they can dictate prices.

• Options
    I will not consider this game complete without a sword.

• Options
    I found an awesome purple backpack and filled it completely with hats. Pretty sure I've won the game now.

• Options
    Are they good hats, though?

• Options
    There are no bad hats, only bad heads.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Sniping is soooo easy now that it's all fixed up.

Oooooh

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/2bz5mx/728_047_experimental_unofficial_changelog/
    [Balance] Shotgun fires 12 pellets.
    yay
    Supposedly the blaze is as accurate as a mosin now as well, which is nice.

[Mechanic] Maps tell you your exact position
    This is awful

The tents are massive and you probably can't hide them for shit but oh well, it's a start. They have 63 slots and hold weapons
    dayz-tent-can-be-open-and-closed.jpg
    I really hope you can crawl in there.

Ash of Yew on
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Let's experimental it up tonight. Shoot me a message on Steam if I'm on Skyrim or something.

EDIT: Do they do wipes on Experimental? I logged in and my character had all his gear on the intro screen, but when I went into the Hardcore server we were on before, I was a fresh spawn.

Esh on
  • Options
    Yeah they've been wiping it fairly often lately is what I've read, don't play experimental myself though.

• Options
    Yeah they've been wiping it fairly often lately is what I've read, don't play experimental myself though.

So much fun, Bororm. Much nicer people on the hardcore servers as well.

I've pushed all the way from the coast to Stary Sobor. Taking a quick break.

• Options
    So rumor has it the guns are functioning closer to what they were in the mod with the new weapon rebalancing on experimental.

Wednesday ought to see a stable patch, I'm doubtful it will include loot respawn/persistence just yet but I'm hoping for stuff like the new items and those weapon balances and such.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01wClB7su1U&feature=youtu.be

I'm just gonna pretend that other AKM guy was basically Solid Snake and the master of CQB.

• Options
    @Fyndir Where's the video of me getting shot in the face? I wanna see it.

• Options
    Esh wrote: »
    Fyndir Where's the video of me getting shot in the face? I wanna see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpwWv_E-gf8

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Fyndir wrote: »
    Esh wrote: »
    Fyndir Where's the video of me getting shot in the face? I wanna see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpwWv_E-gf8

Love it. Thanks.

Though really, you didn't lure me, we were just all meeting up.

Esh on