As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bohemia Interactive presents DayZ 1.0 or: Wait, It's Actually Out of Early Access?

• vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Hamuel wrote: »
    Ash of Yew wrote: »
    To get me to go some place like the nwaf or the more inland military bases they're going to need to add high end weapons or attachments or some sort of items that only spawn there, and loot will need to respawn so that I know that even if I run across the map I can still get something.
    Let's face it: you're a double-barrel man for life. No amount of AS50s would change that.

Yeah but Bororm doesn't go to the NWAF because -he- wants an AS50.

He goes because other people will be there to get an AS50 and he gets to shoot them with his double barrel.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
    Fuck it, I'm going to the NWAF.

I will probably jump off a building when I get there

But I'm going to the NWAF.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I was at the NWF about a week ago

The amount of loot which spawns in the tents is ridiculous

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I was at the NWF about a week ago

The amount of loot which spawns in the tents is ridiculous

agreed.

and I love it.

It makes up for the amount of -nothing- that spawns nearly everywhere else.

So I've been playing Breaking Point lately over lunch, or whenever else I'm on and no one else is.

It's pretty fun! I got into a firefight today where one dude was hiding out inside a building. I killed him, looted him (he was well-kitted) and ran outside to die immediately to a sniper, presumably his buddy.

Altis is an interesting map. It's a little on the big side.

I need to learn to shoot better in the SA, I'm rather bad at it.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • HamuelHamuel voted most likely to clip through the ground Registered User regular
    vsove wrote: »
    I need to learn to shoot better in the SA, I'm rather bad at it.

My aim isn't perfect by any means, but I hit most shots nowadays. Try using a SKS for a while. It's probably my go-to weapon these days.

Just getting this out of the way now: I missed a guy, sitting perfectly still, with a shotgun at point-blank range. Bororm was there. I hit him with the second shot though!

• Ash of YewAsh of Yew Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    You play how I used to play Ham and I am jealous. Now I'm just a spaz with a shotgun. To be fair it started before the SA a bit, but at least in the mod I was still confident when grabbing most guns. As I've said, the whole reason I started shotgunning was because I was getting bored of rifles.

I think there's multiple issues to my shit aim and playstyle. Firstly is the horrible spread on most guns, second is that none of the guns really click with me. I like the blaze and mosin well enough (which are the most accurate), but neither are any real substitute for an enfield and they just don't really feel right to me. Maybe it's their wimpy sound effects or something. Another thing is that I've come to distrust all concealment at some point in the mod, when everyone started turning their graphics down so when I sit in one place for too long I just feel like everyone is going to see me so easily. That's a silly thing as it's obviously not the case. I just spend too much time moving any more, which both fucks your aim and makes you super obvious. I've also just always been impatient when playing with a group, when I'm solo I'm more likely to take my time but being in a group I feel like I need to be doing something.

I'd say the lag and just the way the network stuff works now also plays a factor, and there's a lot of shit like bullet speed being slower etc. The fact that I spent the majority of the SA at first holding people up didn't help either. So a general lack of practice. Maybe they'll add some gun that I really dig and I can change my ways, but I think I really am too far gone.

Ash of Yew on
    I was actually gonna run the blaze for a while since it's fairly accurate and has a low ammo count which would encourage me to take my time and aim as well as style points but then that one day when I started to do that, we got in some fight and I was being relatively slow and methodical, and I watched as the guy rolled literally fucking 30 meters because his legs were broken. Then I went to line up a shot when he stopped and he turned and one shot me and I was like FUCK THIS SHIT.

• FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    For Mr. Bororm because he bugged me the other day to record some of my CS GO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpAlZOTXCV8

• HamuelHamuel voted most likely to clip through the ground Registered User regular
    The blaze is a cool gun in theory, but I can see myself getting fucked by the two bullet clip size. You kind of know what you're getting into with a shotgun, but the blaze is deceptive...

imgur.com/a/WeaP5 wait what

edited May 2014
    The blaze is a cool gun in theory, but I can see myself getting fucked by the two bullet clip size. You kind of know what you're getting into with a shotgun, but the blaze is deceptive...

Yeah I agree. I was actually contemplating seeing how the whole firing both shots at once thing worked with it, if it landed both accurately then that might be something fun. But ever since damage started getting more random, it's very rare a single 7.62 kills some one, even 2 is very iffy.

Nice video Fyndir, great ending haha

Chopping down trees is coming! Pretty excited for that, dug it in epoch. Time to deforest Olsha.

Also, next week supposed they've got some lead programmers working on both wall glitching and magazine duping. Would be super sweet if they sorted both those out, as they're pretty much the only "cheating" we seem to run into on a regular basis. I think people are always going to find a way to dupe though, but at least infinite ammo mags will hopefully be solved.

Ash of Yew on
    edited May 2014
    wall glitching is sooooo coooool.

Decided to test some spreads.
    If anyone was ever curious as to what the shot pattern of a double rifle firing both barrels at once looks like, from about 30m. So much for the idea of using it in that mode =P
    8Ijbzum.jpg

And then I tested some shotgun spreads
    30m
    iheQB33.jpg
    lPbZQrs.jpg
    50m
    BcwBxFo.jpg
    15-20m
    ZJu3Inx.jpg
    5-10m
    CMKtPJM.jpg
    and finally both barrels simultaneous at 30m
    FCRkpgu.jpg

As you can see, even at 30 meters the pellets spread out decently wide, about 50% of them being outside what would be a typical body silhouette. 15-20ish there's a lot more on target, and then at 5 it's incredibly tight. I think it could be tweaked a bit myself, with the 15-20ish being more of what it should look like even up to 30. For an idea of 30m, that's roughly the width of the hanger. Or maybe pellet damage should just be increased a bit.

I should have tested firing both barrels at shorter ranges, but I think it's safe to say at 30m it's pointless. Maybe it just didn't even render all the impacts as I think it just does a certain amount before erasing them, but I'd say it's a safe bet that a lot of the pellets didn't even hit the wall honestly.

So I'd say it explains why I've noticed my shots basically making outlines of people at those ranges lately. I still have pretty good success with the thing though.

Ash of Yew on
    science

• ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular

That's..thats gotta be like edited screens or something.

edited May 2014
    This week we are working on:
    Adding server checks to localized magazine management
    Investigating ways to solve players hiding inside walls
    And before anyone says "why not zombies", these two things are in addition to all the things I've announced before. They're also listed without prejudice to a future position in how to solve some of these hacking problems. They're not timeboxed for any specific release dates. But I will post an update about these once the analysis is completed.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/24rly6/they_took_the_love_i_have_for_dayz/chaax62?context=3

God I hope it doesn't take them long!

Also, who the fuck would say "why not zombies"? seriously.
    Oh, valdark, right.

Ash of Yew on
    you're just trying to dumb down the game and make it easier, bororm

• ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    lrn2pla nuub

proud to say that I assassinated a couple of guys with a sporter and no magazine yesterday. had to chamber two rounds, but got two headshots both times. they were sneaking around the school in Kras and I managed to get the jump on them.

Since my aim does not suck in arma 3 I have come to the conclusion it is just dayz's fault.

Here is our 9v4!

I was the guy who the recorder saved with bandage/epi/saline

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6ngGrDC5B8&feature=youtu.be

Haha that's a huge zerg. I think you probably got shot through the window from the hanger side if you were standing, hard to say though without knowing what was going on inside but seems like the only angle assuming they didn't actually make it on the stairs.

Didn't know about that trick to split ruined ammo to get half back as pristine, good to know.

I was kneeling =)

It is a good trick! Especially since where you get shot vs. what gets ruined makes zero sense at all.

Watched some of your buddy's other videos, always interesting to see how other people play and you guys seem pretty similar to us. Good stuff.

I'm Xaquin2 on steam

Added you, mine should be Bororm

cool cool

I should be on tomorrow around 9pm EST

you guys make things difficult!

post your profile URL, much easier: http://steamcommunity.com/id/magnataur

Fuck your profile Magnataur!

I was fighting the good fight on the DayZ forum about third person. The whole argument still drives me crazy because it's so ignorant. I've got no qualms at all about what people prefer to play, it's personal preference, but when people say it needs to be "fixed" and call it an "exploit" and compare it to wall hacking it's like come the fuck on. Cool, you don't like the implementation of third person, that's your choice, but trying to make excuses as to why you can't handle it is shit, and then the typical dick waving of how first person is "harder" and takes more "skill" and all that shit just makes you look like a fucken douche.

I hope if they make changes to third person it comes in the form of a third option. Hell maybe they'll settle on something I even prefer over the current shit. But if they fuck up the way I like to play, to the point where it's not fun for me any more, I'll probably just swap to first but that shit is going to piss me off big time to have to change my playstyle just because some people are fucking intolerant assholes.

I promise I am not as angry as this post sounds, I am just irritated by the ignorance people produce. If you don't like something, please don't make up a million illogical excuses as to why it is bad, provide actual evidence or just say you don't like it. Above all else, don't try to change something other people like, just because you don't. Adapt or request an alternative, not a replacement.

It's weird how people think it's a problem when you can choose between servers with and without third person.

I think people get entirely too hung up in general on what other people are doing, and everyone should be a lot more tolerant of different playstyles.

So it turned out my old PC had to die before I got a new one

Bororm, Fyndir, which program do you guys use to record games?

• FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    I use Fraps, which I bought forever ago, I think the free version has some restrictions that make it less good.

• Lord HomsarLord Homsar Lord of Hammers Registered User regular
    Platy, I can recommend OBS. It is open source and free, but it can be a little finicky to set up (there are good tutorials online). It has good features, and if you want to, it works very well for Twitch streaming.

steam_sig.png
    edited May 2014
    I use fraps as well. It's easy and convenient, though people say it hurts your performance more than some alternatives.

I use windows movie maker to compress/edit. It's pretty lacking in editing features, but again it's pretty simple to use and convenient.

BTW I hope you plan to record some DayZ Platy! I'd love to see some alternative perspectives on our encounters, and like I mentioned earlier I just like seeing how other people play.

Ash of Yew on
    edited May 2014
    Platy that option I was talking about is the edge smoothing stuff under rendering. I think I have mine on FXAA normal. I don't know the first thing about what these things even mean, but all I know is after messing around with that option I got things to look a bit crisper which I prefer, as it makes differentiating between objects and players a little easier, rather than everything being so blurry/smooth.

Also, do you guys ever accidentally change an option but aren't quite sure which one it was and then everything looks wonky and you try to put it back, but maybe you didn't get it just right, but maybe you did and you're not actually sure, and it nags at you until you get used to it again. Cuz I do that, and it's the worst.

Gonna upload a couple videos tonight, one of that fight at the warehouse area and just some of the other little shit we got into recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSiRjgedxYw&feature=youtu.be

the kraz fight is gonna take all night to upload.

Ash of Yew on
    I do that every time I change anything.

I still have no idea why sometimes the trees are blurry and sometimes they shimmer like an early 2000s vampire.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I played this game for an hour, found a child's backpack and a sweet Payday 2 mask? Walked around and beat a Zombie to death with a plumbing wrench which took like, 20 hits. I did survive.

Then I ate a rotted kiwi and died.

I am in the business of saving lives.
    welcome to DayZ!

(it gets better)

also, I'm apparently one of the lucky players that has a fixed spawn location!

South of god damn Solnichniy

UGH

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Here's a really stupid question, how do you change your name in game so you don't use your Steam Account Real Life name? Wait, figured that out, apparently it pulls your name from whatever Windows account you on? Good Lord, that's an interesting choice.

So, how do you figure where you are? I just spawned in on a coast and am now following railroad tracks to hopefully find civilization and more Kiwi.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.