As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Choose Your Own [Conspiracy Theories]

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    No, the conspiracy theories have already started.
    All we know for sure is that a Malaysian Airlines crashed in Ukraine. There has been no confirmation that it was shot down by a missile, though somehow reports are stating that.
    CNN is saying that they think a BUK type Surface-to-Air Missile did it. Looking it up wiki, it's not a shoulder mounted thing. This is several vehicles all together that consist of the entire system.
    That means that there's a SAM Site somewhere nearby that shot the missile. That shouldn't be that hard to find with satellite.
    With that much information, you should be able to debunk the supposed "terrorists" that "shot down" an airliner.

But nope. It'll be Obama and/or aliens the whole fucking way down.

Satellites aren't the be-all end-all, and looking for a single mobile Sam launcher is a literal needle in a haystack. Even assuming one was pointed there, maybe it saw the launch, if not, well of course there will be mobile anti-air units nearby a military presence

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    No, but the theories are that this is some dumbfucks with a mobile rocket launcher like a Stinger shooting down airliners. It's not that.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    No, but the theories are that this is some dumbfucks with a mobile rocket launcher like a Stinger shooting down airliners. It's not that.

in fairness, the details weren't clear at the outset (and still aren't totally clear, but it's reasonable to start building a picture at this point that involves an old tracked SAM vehicle shooting down an airliner). I don't think the reports about shoulder-launched weapons were deliberate attempts to deceive, just mistakes / confusion about the details.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    I feel like the logic conspiracy(lol) is that this is actually MH370. Why or in what way; who can say. But that is the kind of "coincidence" that these people latch on to.

Conspiracy theories are like Rub Goldberg machines, the more steps they have the better.

So rather than have MH17 disappear randomly, they hijack MH370. Sit on it for a few months. Then they shoot down/scuttle MH370, allowing them to kidnap the crew/passengers of MH17. Everyone knows the Netherlands is where the Bilderberg group operates out of...

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Geth stalks me on every post I make about war, nukes, and general bad stuff.

It's creepy me out man.

Geth is just concerned as to your status with HYDRA is all. No worries.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I feel like the logic conspiracy(lol) is that this is actually MH370. Why or in what way; who can say. But that is the kind of "coincidence" that these people latch on to.

Conspiracy theories are like Rub Goldberg machines, the more steps they have the better.

So rather than have MH17 disappear randomly, they hijack MH370. Sit on it for a few months. Then they shoot down/scuttle MH370, allowing them to kidnap the crew/passengers of MH17. Everyone knows the Netherlands is where the Bilderberg group operates out of...

No wait. I've got it.

MH370 traveled through time. Or got sucked into a black hole / wormhole / whatever.

Then it got spit out over the Ukraine just today, where Obama had it shot down to cover-up the fact that it went time travelling / wormhole jumping.

I should do a podcast!

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »

It's creepy me out man.

Oh no! Is it the real Entaru or the clone!?

• Options
    The Ender wrote: »

in fairness, the details weren't clear at the outset (and still aren't totally clear, but it's reasonable to start building a picture at this point that involves an old tracked SAM vehicle shooting down an airliner). I don't think the reports about shoulder-launched weapons were deliberate attempts to deceive, just mistakes / confusion about the details.

The BUK SAM is several vehicles. Sure, it's mobile because they have tracks, but the whole thing needs to get up and move. It's not just one single launcher out chilling on its own when it decides to shoot down a random plane. It's a command vehicle/module, a RADAR vehicle, several missile launchers themselves. Previous versions used cable to run information between them. New ones supposedly do not.

I bring up satellites because they are kind of unweildy to move, and don't move a ton between passes like people do. They don't just get up and go. They have to pack up their stuff, move around, unpack, etc. All my knowledge on this comes from Jane's and wikipedia, so it's quite possibly incorrect. If that's the case let me know; I'll recant.

• Options
    edited July 2014

The BUK SAM is several vehicles. Sure, it's mobile because they have tracks, but the whole thing needs to get up and move. It's not just one single launcher out chilling on its own when it decides to shoot down a random plane. It's a command vehicle/module, a RADAR vehicle, several missile launchers themselves. Previous versions used cable to run information between them. New ones supposedly do not.

I bring up satellites because they are kind of unweildy to move, and don't move a ton between passes like people do. They don't just get up and go. They have to pack up their stuff, move around, unpack, etc. All my knowledge on this comes from Jane's and wikipedia, so it's quite possibly incorrect. If that's the case let me know; I'll recant.

This is getting off topic, but:

In ideal circumstances, you're right: you have the launchers set up in the desired zone where you want airspace protected, and they talks to an accompanying radar vehicle that tracks the sky. Depending on how sophisticated the defense network is (and what range the missiles have), this can be part of an even larger system with multiple redundancies, wirelessly talking to AWACs, nearby radar sites, etc.

Guerrillas & small forces with limited organization / resources don't usually opt for this configuration, though. It's simpler to opportunistically attack by using someone with binoculars to spot for the weapons platform, and then use the on-board radar rather than an attached radar vehicle to engage a target. You're less vulnerable to HARMs that way, and more likely to score some kills rather than keep aircraft out of an area (which is usually the intent of a guerrilla force).

EDIT: I'd recommend reading on Bosnia for examples of this type of set-up.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    No, the conspiracy theories have already started.
    All we know for sure is that a Malaysian Airlines crashed in Ukraine. There has been no confirmation that it was shot down by a missile, though somehow reports are stating that.
    CNN is saying that they think a BUK type Surface-to-Air Missile did it. Looking it up wiki, it's not a shoulder mounted thing. This is several vehicles all together that consist of the entire system.
    That means that there's a SAM Site somewhere nearby that shot the missile. That shouldn't be that hard to find with satellite.
    With that much information, you should be able to debunk the supposed "terrorists" that "shot down" an airliner.

But nope. It'll be Obama and/or aliens the whole fucking way down.

It's CNN, of course the conspiracy theorists aren't taking their word for it.
    They won't listen to anybody else either.

• Options

That mild. I guess they don't get to the Illuminati, New World Order or lizard men until later.

• Options
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

It's creepy me out man.

Oh no! Is it the real Entaru or the clone!?

Real= Monster Hunter
    Clone = Conspiracy Theories.

• Options
  • Options

This is getting off topic, but:

In ideal circumstances, you're right: you have the launchers set up in the desired zone where you want airspace protected, and they talks to an accompanying radar vehicle that tracks the sky. Depending on how sophisticated the defense network is (and what range the missiles have), this can be part of an even larger system with multiple redundancies, wirelessly talking to AWACs, nearby radar sites, etc.

Guerrillas & small forces with limited organization / resources don't usually opt for this configuration, though. It's simpler to opportunistically attack by using someone with binoculars to spot for the weapons platform, and then use the on-board radar rather than an attached radar vehicle to engage a target. You're less vulnerable to HARMs that way, and more likely to score some kills rather than keep aircraft out of an area (which is usually the intent of a guerrilla force).

EDIT: I'd recommend reading on Bosnia for examples of this type of set-up.

I have absolutely no reference to this kind of set up. Everything I've read basically states that the launchers are worthless without the command module.
    I'll take any further discussion over to the proper thread for it.

That mild. I guess they don't get to the Illuminati, New World Order or lizard men until later.

It has to build up and fester first. First, terrorists. Then Obama himself launched it. THEN the Illuminati. Baby step, people....

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Let's play predict a conspiracy theory, shall we?

http://www.npr.org/blogs/goatsandsoda/2014/07/18/332394256/from-twitter-the-news-unfolds-of-the-aids-figures-on-flight-mh17?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20140718

My guess is one of them will be that these researchers were killed because they found the cure to the government's secret biological weapon.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    Geth IS our conspiracy.

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    I am watching a show on Netflix who's opening claim was literally that the Iraq war was really fought to capture an ancient Sumerian Stargate.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    They. . .stargate?

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    Okay so the show is called Unsealed: Conspiracy Files. And it is amazing. Like, usually stuff like this is about the slow build. At first it's just "hey don't these cave paintings look like space ships" and then an hour later the pyramids were built by aliens.

But not here, oh no. This thing is just throwing out every single thing it can think of all framed as "some believe" or "experts say". Did you know:

Hitler got alien technology from a stargate in Antarctica.
    George Washington was killed and replaced by a member of the illuminati.
    Queen Elizabeth died as a child and was replaced by a boy body double.
    Eisenhower made a treaty with aliens. This includes providing them with human test subjects in an underground lab in Dulce, New Mexico.

And all the interviews look like they were filmed over Skype.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I must watch this.

Edit: I am watching it now. You owe it to yourself to see this. It's hilarious.

Edit2: we just went from zombie virus to psychotropic weapons without taking a breath.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    They probably were.

Or else the experts are actually avatars of high level artificial intelligences, and the only way they can keep from freaking out us primitives meatbags if through grainy, digitized pics.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Light gray text on a white background. I guess they have to keep the Illuminati off their tail somehow.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Light gray text on a white background. I guess they have to keep the Illuminati off their tail somehow.

Eye strain is their secret weakness.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Click-drag to highlight!
    I've broken the code!

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Prohass wrote: »
    Also with all that mind zapping and god holograms...exhausting, if I was lucifer I'd just trigger all our nukes or raise the earths temperature slightly or something. Sheesh, it's like a fucking Rube Goldberg machine apocalypse.
    Turns out the devil is a big fan of the Final Destination movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDNIJ4V-I4Y

• Options
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    Okay so the show is called Unsealed: Conspiracy Files. And it is amazing. Like, usually stuff like this is about the slow build. At first it's just "hey don't these cave paintings look like space ships" and then an hour later the pyramids were built by aliens.

But not here, oh no. This thing is just throwing out every single thing it can think of all framed as "some believe" or "experts say". Did you know:

Hitler got alien technology from a stargate in Antarctica.
    George Washington was killed and replaced by a member of the illuminati.
    Queen Elizabeth died as a child and was replaced by a boy body double.
    Eisenhower made a treaty with aliens. This includes providing them with human test subjects in an underground lab in Dulce, New Mexico.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nSKkwzwdW4

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    So here's a fun new conspiracy theory from noted lunatic Alex Jones:

Salon: Alex Jones: Obama is enlisting refugees into a secret army of child soldiers!
    “That’s like the African child slave soldiers,” Jones said during his radio show on Tuesday, responding to his guest William Gheen’s theory that the children at the border are willing tools of the despotic Obama because they crave “Obamaphones” and want to sign up for Obamacare.

“That’s how all those African countries are run, is off of poor kids,” Jones continued. “[T]hey grab [poor kids] at 12 and give a machine gun. Obama talks about his national security force, just as big, just as strong as our military. It’s so bold, but when you look at it, they really are doing that.”

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    What is an Obamaphone? Like a Flinstonephone?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

It's like a shoephone, but it's Obama instead of a shoe.

It's how Biden rings up the gang for a kegger.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular

Salon: Alex Jones: Obama is enlisting refugees into a secret army of child soldiers!
    “That’s like the African child slave soldiers,” Jones said during his radio show on Tuesday, responding to his guest William Gheen’s theory that the children at the border are willing tools of the despotic Obama because they crave “Obamaphones” and want to sign up for Obamacare.

“That’s how all those African countries are run, is off of poor kids,” Jones continued. “[T]hey grab [poor kids] at 12 and give a machine gun. Obama talks about his national security force, just as big, just as strong as our military. It’s so bold, but when you look at it, they really are doing that.”

Why the hell did I open this thread and subject myself to this.

• Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »

You're secretly a masochist?

• Options
    They are coming across the borders to be a private army because they want on the medical exchange and a shitty emergency cellphone?

What?

Because it's hilarious?

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular

Occasionally, when somebody is on welfare and lacks a cell phone, welfare offices gives them a cheap disposable cell phone with about an hours worth of call time on it. This makes it easier to keep in touch with them or for them to apply for jobs or rent a house. Because we live in a world where if you can't be reached instantly you might miss out on an opportunity.

Old farts who grew up back when rotary phones where a thing considers this the ultimate welfare waste and named these cell phones Obamaphone. After all cell phones(or all phones) are a luxury.

Meanwhile the number of people that even have a landline at home is shrinking, the number of people that use a landline regularly is even less and phone booths are disappearing fast. But giving the destitute a phone to integrate into society is "socialism" and a sign that Obama is the antichrist(despite the phone programs predating him).

Hence Obamaphone

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    They are coming across the borders to be a private army because they want on the medical exchange and a shitty emergency cellphone?

What?

Because it's hilarious?

Socialized healthcare, allowances for food and housing on top of 25k+ a year, medical coverage after leaving, and education benefits?
    Hell, it's why I joined the military.

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »

Occasionally, when somebody is on welfare and lacks a cell phone, welfare offices gives them a cheap disposable cell phone with about an hours worth of call time on it. This makes it easier to keep in touch with them or for them to apply for jobs or rent a house. Because we live in a world where if you can't be reached instantly you might miss out on an opportunity.

Old farts who grew up back when rotary phones where a thing considers this the ultimate welfare waste and named these cell phones Obamaphone. After all cell phones(or all phones) are a luxury.

Meanwhile the number of people that even have a landline at home is shrinking, the number of people that use a landline regularly is even less and phone booths are disappearing fast. But giving the destitute a phone to integrate into society is "socialism" and a sign that Obama is the antichrist(despite the phone programs predating him).

Hence Obamaphone

Just for some more context, the program started under Reagan. It was expanded from landlines to cell phones under Bush Jr. But a video came up a few years ago with some woman talking about her Obamaphone, and the right-wing media ran away with it.

• Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular

Obama confirmed to be Solidus Snake.

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    GETH IS THE PATRIOTS!

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    The La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo!?

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Rchanen wrote: »

You're secretly a masochist?

I think you meant to say:

Some ancient forum theorists believe you may secretly be a masochist.

This discussion has been closed.