As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Choose Your Own [Conspiracy Theories]

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    i first read that as 'Has ISIS captured footage of UFO' and was a bit confused. though maybe that would be the best bet for increasing NASA funding.

If Trump gets elected we just have to convince him and Putin that the best international dick measuring metric is how advanced a country's space program is and presto, Space Race Part 2: Mars Boogaloo

Just tell Trump Mexicans are sneaking in via the moon

And he'll build a moon wall.

If we tell Trump that Mexican rapists are hiding on the sun humanity might just get its first Dyson Sphere

Not without first bankrupting the whole planet at least five times over.

This is a double joke.

How would it bankrupt us, Trump will totally get the Sun to pay for it!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    And Alex Jones comes up with a doozy of a theory:

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    And Alex Jones comes up with a doozy of a theory:

did he release this before or after he was bundled into an unmarked van outside the RNC? i feel a time line on these events is very important.

• Options

I'm pretty sure that graphic was being used unironically.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    A few weeks ago, there was a sudden invasion of debunker/skeptic/science websites by flat earthers. Serious, honest-to-god flat earthers. And the reason the topic has suddenly become hot, and rather than being full of bored physics students inventing complex relativistic models to explain why the flat/concave earth looks spherical was suddenly full of mouth breathing stupid became clear to me reading through it all.

Compared to the latent flat earth nonsense that's always been around and been so full of trolls its hard to tell where they stop and the reality begins, it's now full of religious phrasing, biblical reference, specific ideas recognizable from people like Ken Ham and Henry Morris, and doesn't just attack geology and astronomy, but has an inexplicable bone to pick with biology. And while it certainly accuses everybody from the government to shitty pop singers of continuing some grand lie, they're missing something: They don't call the liars shills, psyops, or crisis actors like every other CT does these days. They call them nonbelievers, pagans, and persecutors.

It's not a flat earth that's resuring. It's young earth creationism with a new hook to replace flood geology and the like.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    So basically YEC has sucked the fun out of Flat Earthers. This is a dark day.

On the bright side, perhaps this means they'll keep their grubby mitts off of my hollow earth lizard men.

...no, garden of eden serpent, flat earth with caverns... damnit.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    I'd love to know how the flat earthers will deal once commercialized recreational spaceflight becomes a thing, which gets closer and closer with each year that SpaceX has been in operation.

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    l_g wrote: »
    I'd love to know how the flat earthers will deal once commercialized recreational spaceflight becomes a thing, which gets closer and closer with each year that SpaceX has been in operation.

As I pointed out earlier in this thread, you probably set up a rig to take a camera up high enough to record the curvature of the Earth for a $1000 or so. Honestly the biggest impediment is probably making sure you have the right kinds of balloons, and then making sure the rig is designed so that the camera survives the fall. Obviously, you also need GPS tracking on it to recover it, and also you should be doing this in an isolated area so it doesn't fall and damage something or injure somebody.

• Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    Wouldn't prove anything. You can see the earth's curvature from a commercial airliner. These people fly on planes. They still choose to believe in utter batshit nonsense.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Dark matter lensing!

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Wouldn't prove anything. You can see the earth's curvature from a commercial airliner. These people fly on planes. They still choose to believe in utter batshit nonsense.

They claim the windows are altered somehow to present a false curvature.

My point is that if you can go out and buy the camera yourself and pick the kind of lens you use yourself there's no excuse you can use to say it's doctored. You can't say "well the lens is altered" because you bought it and could take pictures/video before and after sending it up and then of course the video going up and down itself is a single take and will show if anyone got to it before you.

Flat Earth is a truly pitiable conspiracy theory to latch onto because they so desperately love to cry "but if it's not flat then why is it like this?" when you can just point out that you can conduct the experiment and falsify/prove your theory yourself.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    The real ones already insist that numerous southern hemisphere air routes that people fly all the time are fake - they're full of shills and actors who never actually need to fly but will claim they did, and if a real person ever DOES manage to buy a ticket on them, they're cancelled at the last second and rerouted through a much longer series of stops. It's nothing to them to claim the same about any SpaceX when they already claim all forms of space travel are a hoax anyway.

These YEC ones, though? YEC fads never last - they'll probably drift on to the next one long before it matters. If not, however, YEC is immune to reason in a very special way, different from most CTs. They don't need to automatically disregard competing evidence, because it doesn't have to be a lie, it just has to not prove what you think it proves, because if it did, then the Earth is round, and I have a book here that says it's flat. I know the book is right, because it's written by God (it says so in the book!), and the book says God is always right.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I know the YEC people get their ideas from the bible (basically by counting all of the "X begat Y who begat Z who begat AA" from Adam to Noah to Jesus or whatever, then adding ~2,000 years to come up with their figure). It's stupid, it really is, but I can at least understand their reasoning.

I still don't understand how people could come up with a flat earth though. You don't even need to go up in the sky to see Earth's curvature, just stand in a port and watch a huge ship sail away and slowly sink into the horizon once it gets a few miles out. We've had ships with tall masts for a long, long time.

The Bible itself describes the Earth several times as a "circle", but the old Hebrew words for "circle" and "sphere" are very closely related and as a side note you shouldn't be taking science advice from a bunch of bronze age dirt farmers anyway.

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    is sydney to santiago fake? I've personally flown sydney to santiago and i can confirm that either it is very real or i am a kremlin plant

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Seriously. Fuck this flat earth shit.

Anyone can go to some beach that looks out on the ocean and view the goddamn curvature of the earth.

Even better, have some asshole sail a ship away from you, watch that thing rise, then sink below the horizon as it moves out of sight.

It's not quite the same as being able to reason that your neighbor across the street ALSO has a backyard, but it's pretty goddamn close.

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

They claim the windows are altered somehow to present a false curvature.

My point is that if you can go out and buy the camera yourself and pick the kind of lens you use yourself there's no excuse you can use to say it's doctored. You can't say "well the lens is altered" because you bought it and could take pictures/video before and after sending it up and then of course the video going up and down itself is a single take and will show if anyone got to it before you.

Flat Earth is a truly pitiable conspiracy theory to latch onto because they so desperately love to cry "but if it's not flat then why is it like this?" when you can just point out that you can conduct the experiment and falsify/prove your theory yourself.

Every piece of equipment in the experiment could be doubted in some nonsensical way, but if they themselves are able to go into space at a price that is affordable by ordinary people, the explanations for why the Earth is flat even when they can observe that it clearly isn't with their own eyes in orbit are going to be WILD. These are going to be Pulitzer-worthy, Joycian tracts.

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
  • Options
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

The initial argument of the vanishing point of an image being practically limited due to the limits of the optical device in terms of resolution or other factors affecting resolving power actually has some validity, even if the way in which they've phrased it is a little dubious.

The extension of their argument, however, is really quite ironic: they've actually suggested the exact mechanism by which it can be disproven! You just need a sufficiently powerful telescope. The argument that "a slightly more powerful resolving device lets you still see the ship a further distance out" doesn't mean that that works indefinitely.

• Options
    They thought of that. That's why they claim that the ship pops back over the horizon with magnification.

There is no arguing with people who reject reality on its face.

• Options
    I kinda want to just take a bunch of flat earthers on a plane ride past where they say the world ends.

Just curious if they'll panic and scream and actually think we're about to plummet into space somehow.

Or will it just be more of a resigned, ok fine you got us we're just being stupid difficult assholes this entire time.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    I'm sure the argument will be that the plane is being delicately guided off its stated course in order to provide the illusion that you're going around a globe. Same thing with using a better telescope to see ships going over the horizon. At some point you're just going to hear about how the lenses have been tampered with in some way. Once you decide to go all in on the idea that the entire world is conspiring to present a fictional vision of reality where the earth is a different shape, you've pretty much gone past the point of being able to be reasoned with.

• Options
    What if we just fire them around the globe with a railgun.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    My favorite display by a flat earther was when a guy poured water on a rubber ball and was all SEE THE WATER DOESN'T STAY ON IT.

I'm just like hahahahahah

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I'm sure the argument will be that the plane is being delicately guided off its stated course in order to provide the illusion that you're going around a globe. Same thing with using a better telescope to see ships going over the horizon. At some point you're just going to hear about how the lenses have been tampered with in some way. Once you decide to go all in on the idea that the entire world is conspiring to present a fictional vision of reality where the earth is a different shape, you've pretty much gone past the point of being able to be reasoned with.

The furthest I've gotten with people like this is someone said that the entirety of physics and calculus are cleverly designed tricks to make us think the earth is round. That these forms of math that can be represented in the real world to test mathematical results are a sham, and that the real math is hidden somewhere so they are the only ones who know it.

Probably aliens.

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    What if we just fire them around the globe with a railgun.

Why do that when you can just fire them into space?

They'll think they went over the edge and be all sorts of smug but they'll be in space so who cares. It's win-win.

• Options
    GatorGator An alligator in Scotland Registered User regular
    At the end of the flat earth is a giant lizard person who's also a Jesuit priest and a member of the bilderberg group

Or was

Hillary had it killed

Wake up sheeple

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    There are probably more people alive today that believe in a flat Earth than there ever has been before.

What a world.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Gator wrote: »
    At the end of the flat earth is a giant lizard person who's also a Jesuit priest and a member of the bilderberg group

Or was

Hillary had it killed

Wake up sheeple

BAAAAAAAAAA! We... LIVE!

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    fdp3r7bg6w2z.jpg

• Options
    The Ender wrote: »
    There are probably more people alive today that believe in a flat Earth than there ever has been before.

What a flat world.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I like the flat earthers who try to correct you by saying, "of course it's not 'flat'! That's crazy! It's just very thin."

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    august wrote: »
    cymaqrh5brhp.png

aaaaaaaaaaand new avatar.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Yeah but why though?

I mean, '9/11 was an inside job" is a good conspiracy because it's got plausible motive. The government intentionally killed thousands of americans in order to stoke the public into accepting military action in the middle east.

"The Moon landings were a hoax" is a good conspiracy theory because it's got plausible motive. The government needed to win the space race in order to prove superiority over the commies so they faked a lunar landing as a way to one the USSR after Sputnik and Gregarin.

"Area 51 is where the US Government is hiding a crashed alien spacecraft that came down in Roswell, New Mexico in the 1940s" is a good conspiracy theory because it's got plausible motive. The government doesn't want the people to know about the existence of extraterrestrials in order to prevent public panic and risk undermining the modern American religious faith during an era where they were desperately trying to differentiate themselves from the atheist government in the USSR those godless pinko commies.

"Smart utility/power meters are actually listening devices used to listen in on every conversation in hundreds of millions of American homes" is a good conspiracy theory because it has plausible motive. The government wants to spy on its own citizens and what better way to surreptitiously do so than to have a "technician" mount a transmitter right onto their house that is tapped into their electrical grid.

These conspiracies are dumb, yes, but the one thing that links them is plausibility. There is a reason why the government might want to save face in front of communists or hide ayy lmaos from the public or engineer an extremely profitable war...

But what reason would any government in the world have, let along every government in the world have, for keeping a flat Earth secret from the citizens of Earth? Who would actually benefit from that? What would they even get from it? Money? Control?

I don't get it. There's no reasoning behind it.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    Yeah but why though?

I mean, '9/11 was an inside job" is a good conspiracy because it's got plausible motive. The government intentionally killed thousands of americans in order to stoke the public into accepting military action in the middle east.

"The Moon landings were a hoax" is a good conspiracy theory because it's got plausible motive. The government needed to win the space race in order to prove superiority over the commies so they faked a lunar landing as a way to one the USSR after Sputnik and Gregarin.

"Area 51 is where the US Government is hiding a crashed alien spacecraft that came down in Roswell, New Mexico in the 1940s" is a good conspiracy theory because it's got plausible motive. The government doesn't want the people to know about the existence of extraterrestrials in order to prevent public panic and risk undermining the modern American religious faith during an era where they were desperately trying to differentiate themselves from the atheist government in the USSR those godless pinko commies.

"Smart utility/power meters are actually listening devices used to listen in on every conversation in hundreds of millions of American homes" is a good conspiracy theory because it has plausible motive. The government wants to spy on its own citizens and what better way to surreptitiously do so than to have a "technician" mount a transmitter right onto their house that is tapped into their electrical grid.

These conspiracies are dumb, yes, but the one thing that links them is plausibility. There is a reason why the government might want to save face in front of communists or hide ayy lmaos from the public or engineer an extremely profitable war...

But what reason would any government in the world have, let along every government in the world have, for keeping a flat Earth secret from the citizens of Earth? Who would actually benefit from that? What would they even get from it? Money? Control?

I don't get it. There's no reasoning behind it.

It's all a big scam to sell Globes

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    It's not governments keeping the secret. Illuminati more than likely. Convincing the world they live on a sphere rather than a pancake is just an example of their influence.

Hope that helps.

• Options
    InfamyDeferredInfamyDeferred Registered User regular
    I wonder if some of this is like some sort of internalized compulsive lying. Specifically, how compulsive liars get an ever-escalating thrill out of telling increasingly outlandish tales; I wonder if conspiracy theorists get an ever-increasing thrill out of challenging more and more basic/widespread beliefs.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    The most compelling reason I've seen for flat-earthers is that it keeps the populace uninformed, as if maintaining the illusion of a spherical world keeps people from fundamentally being able to retake power or exert influence on the world. Like maybe if civilians mounted a huge armed resistance on an international scale, and they tried to navigate from one continent to the other, they'd be fucked because the earth is the wrong shape?

Which, I mean, to a certain extent, sure? But holy shit what an expensive, weird, and all-encompassing strategy for such minimal strategic gain.

• Options
  • Options
    I'm sure it varies from person to person, but the flat-earth conspiracies always posit that somebody has something to gain from it.

This discussion has been closed.