As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mario Sports] Discuss Golf, Tennis, Soccer, Baseball and more!

MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice ActorKirkland, WARegistered User regular
Welcome to the Mario Sports discussion thread!

With Mario Golf almost upon us, I've decided we need a place to talk about it and other past Mario Sports games. We will talk about all the sports-related Nintendo games, including the Mario sports titles (Golf, Tennis, Soccer, Baseball), but also the Mario and Sonic at the Olympics as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwajcV8x-Z0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ox--uHowak

Mario Golf will launch with day 1 DLC. Before you groan, you should here how awesome it actually is:

-Game launches on Friday, May 2nd.
-DLC courses will be offered in 3 individual pieces or as an all-in-one pack
-Each DLC pack includes 2 18-hole courses and a new playable character
-Buying the all-in-one pack includes an additional character (Gold Mario)
-The price is $5.99/pack or $14.99 for all 3
-Remember that the game is retailing for $29.99, not $39.99 so the game + DLC is only $5 more than a normal 3DS game
-the fine print details can be found here

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
Steam ID
Twitch Page

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Spot held for upcoming PA themed golf/tennis tournaments on the 3DS. Stay tuned for details!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    By the way Mario Golf is the greatest thing.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    I love me some gamecube Mario Baseball. Wario's team was totally stacked. Two of the best pitchers in the game (Waluigi was THE best), and then a bunch of power hitters. Hopefully there will be another installment (i actually missed wii super sluggers) somewhere down the line.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Psyched for golf. Would really love a new Sluggers game on 3DS too.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Besides Mario Kart (if that counts), the only Mario sports game I really played are the Strikers games. Which are fucking awesome.

I'm saying: have those mofos make a football game. Oh man, that could be sweet.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Looking forward to Mario Golf.

Tennis Open was terrible.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Looking forward to Mario Golf.

I've heard that as well about Tennis Open. Sad really, as Mario Tennis on the GC was quite literally one of the best couch multiplayer experiences ever. It had such simple controls that I had complete noobs holding their own in doubles matches after only a few games.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    You guys better have my friend codes added! I want to have a foursome with you...
    of golf
    ;)

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
      I don't consider myself the best golf player, but I cannot wait for Mario Golf.

Nintendo Console Codes
      Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
      PM Me if you add me!
      HAIL HYDRA
    • Options
      skeldare wrote: »
      I don't consider myself the best golf player, but I cannot wait for Mario Golf.

I hate real golf culture and I suck at golf games, but damn I enjoy Mario Golf haha.

• Options
        I'll be honest and say The only sports games I can play are Mario ones.

Except NBA Jam.

Nintendo Console Codes
        PM Me if you add me!
        HAIL HYDRA
      • Options
        King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
        Still want Mario Pro wrestling. I cant believe theyve ignored this so long.

Think of the hilarious storylines it could have!

We even have enough ladies to do Womans champ belt.

I guess they have to tone down the punching a bit but thats why we have power up blocks.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
      • Options
        WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
        I've never given Mario Golf a shot because it's golf and I don't see how even Nintendo could possibly make that interesting.

• Options
        ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
      • Options
        I've never given Mario Golf a shot because it's golf and I don't see how even Nintendo could possibly make that interesting.

Its tolerable if you hate golf.

• Options
        LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular

I didn't think it was terrible, just kind of... bland, interestingly enough. The characters lacked identity, and save for a few little nods and tidbits, could have been something else in tennis entirely.

Anyway, I'm enjoying Mario Golf so far. What we really need, though, is Mario Ice Hockey.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
        Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
      • Options
        BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
        With Mario Golf I had some questions
        I saw you can buy clubs and outfits does this apply to the Nintendo characters?
        Do the characters have their own strengths and weakness?
        And maybe a few more questions?

• Options
        UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular

Do you enjoy miniature golf?

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
      • Options
        edited April 2014

I didn't think it was terrible, just kind of... bland, interestingly enough. The characters lacked identity, and save for a few little nods and tidbits, could have been something else in tennis entirely.

Anyway, I'm enjoying Mario Golf so far. What we really need, though, is Mario Ice Hockey.

Theres ice hockey in the olympic games

I think 4v4 hockey with , power ups and stuff would be great. Full teams leads to problems

King Riptor on
      • Options
        So I downloaded the demo of Mario Golf and well like golf in real life I can drive with the best of them and suck at putting
        I made par after 3 games!

• Options
        SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
        I like the demo so far, but I hope the courses get much crazier in the full game. These courses just feel like regular golf courses with Mario art flair.

LxX6eco.jpg
        PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
      • Options
        SyphonBlue wrote: »
        I like the demo so far, but I hope the courses get much crazier in the full game. These courses just feel like regular golf courses with Mario art flair.

Well what other golf game lets you golf underwater?

Nintendo Console Codes
        PM Me if you add me!
        HAIL HYDRA
      • Options
        SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
        skeldare wrote: »
        SyphonBlue wrote: »

Well what other golf game lets you golf underwater?

Well that's not in the demo so I didn't know there was an underwater level! That is definitely what I was hoping for!

LxX6eco.jpg
      • Options
        Nintendo Console Codes
        PM Me if you add me!
        HAIL HYDRA
      • Options
        bobmyknobbobmyknob 3DS Friend Code 4553-9974-2186 Registered User regular
        I'm really excited for the online tournaments. I've played the crap out of previous games, but never got to play with/against other people.

steam_sig.png
      • Options
        So only out about an hour into Mario Golf last night but I can say that it's real nice. Can't wait to put more time in this weekend.

Nintendo Console Codes
        PM Me if you add me!
        HAIL HYDRA
      • Options
        Woke up this morning and downloaded Golf, but haven't had a chance to play any yet. Also bought the Season Pass cause 6 extra courses is a pretty good deal. Looking forward to playing some tonight.

LxX6eco.jpg
      • Options
        Add me for golf fun!

• Options
          Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
          Just hit a 144 yd chip in for an eagle!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
        • Options
          ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
          I've played the N64 and GBA Mario Tennis games, but this is the first time I've played a Mario Golf game. It seems neat so far.

The loading screens are adorable.

• Options
          Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
          edited May 2014
          So there are 8 official Mario Golf tournaments going on right now... and looking at the schedule they are going to keep the pace up. There is even one big international tournament that you need to place in the top 60% of a previous tournament to qualify for. These are on top of hundreds of community tournaments (the rewards change depending on how many people join). In addition, the regular vs mode is fun and easy to connect with people. There is a lot of content here.

If someone is interested in making a PA tournament, you might want to consider only allowing the base set of characters and not the Miis. You can get some pretty good gear for the Miis that would give you an advantage over a new player. I saw you could forbid star characters, which might also be a good idea considering I have no idea what they are.

Edit: I love how they offer to define some golf related terms... then give you a list of 300 (no exageration) golf terms.

Ratsult2 on
        • Options
          undergroundmonorailundergroundmonorail single-track subway Registered User regular
          How do you get access to new equipment? Is there a better way than just "play in tournaments and hope that the random new stuff is good"?

Pokémon X | 3DS Friend Code: 0490-4897-7688
          Friend Safari: Fighting - Machoke, Pancham, Riolu | In game name: Jessica
          Official Weather Gym Leader of the G+T Pokémon League. @me to try for the Climate Badge!
        • Options
          undergroundmonorailundergroundmonorail single-track subway Registered User regular
          hVVCBub.jpg

10/10. Flawless game.

Official Weather Gym Leader of the G+T Pokémon League. @me to try for the Climate Badge!
        • Options
          How do you get access to new equipment? Is there a better way than just "play in tournaments and hope that the random new stuff is good"?

You can also unlock equipment through coins. Every X amount will unlock something that you can then spend coins on in the pro shop. Remember that you need to visit the locker room to equip it once you buy it.

• Options
          Is it too late to get the season pass for golf?

• Options
          edited May 2014
          Brainleech wrote: »

I don't know for sure with Mario Golf, but season passes usually don't have an expiration date.

Ratsult2 on
        • Options
          I've made three chip-ins now, and each one was when I screwed up the shot.

Random chance is better at golf than me.

• Options
          Ratsult2 wrote: »

I don't know for sure with Mario Golf, but season passes usually don't have an expiration date.

How does it pop up or such in the eshop?

• Options
          Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
          I'll probably pick up Mario Golf soon, but since this thread encompasses all Mario sports games.. Does anyone else remember Mario Hoops? I loved that game.

• Options

I don't think there's any expiration date to pick it up.
          I'll probably pick up Mario Golf soon, but since this thread encompasses all Mario sports games.. Does anyone else remember Mario Hoops? I loved that game.

Yeah, it was.. interesting. Still can't believe Square Enix developed it.

Nintendo Console Codes
          PM Me if you add me!
          HAIL HYDRA