As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

RIP Bob Hoskins

• Options
    LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    An entirely self-taught actor who played up his Cockney roots, Hoskins claimed to pick his projects while sitting on the toilet; if he was still intrigued by a script after its usefulness as bathroom reading was done, he’d take the part.

http://www.avclub.com/article/rip-bob-hoskins-204017

ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    TankHammer wrote: »
    Sassori wrote: »
    Th scene with Judge Doom getting flattened and then getting up again always scared the shit out of me.

I was terrified, but couldn't look away from the scene.

REMEMBA' ME EDDIE! WHEN I KILLED YOUR BROTHER!?

*shudder*

I TALKED

JUST

THIIIIIIIIIIIIS

GGz9PkP.gif

Just this second realized he's literally looking daggers.

That movie.

Is this a figure of speech? I'm not familiar with it

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Sassori wrote: »
    Th scene with Judge Doom getting flattened and then getting up again always scared the shit out of me.

I was terrified, but couldn't look away from the scene.

REMEMBA' ME EDDIE! WHEN I KILLED YOUR BROTHER!?

*shudder*

I TALKED

JUST

THIIIIIIIIIIIIS

GGz9PkP.gif

Just this second realized he's literally looking daggers.

That movie.

Is this a figure of speech? I'm not familiar with it

Staring daggers at someone is that look you give someone when you want them to shut up but can't just tell them to shut up.

sig.gif
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    All I know is I'm going to lose my shit when Christopher Lloyd, Harrison Ford, and Sean Connery pass away.

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    All I know is I'm going to lose my shit when Christopher Lloyd, Harrison Ford, and Sean Connery pass away.

SHUT UP! YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH!

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Mel Brooks and Gene Wilder are getting older too.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    10 years ago I would have agreed about Sean Connery but he's been out of the spotlight for so long and a lot of negative shit has come to light about him.

I'll still be sad, but not torn up like I would have been.

• Options
    As long as Stan Lee holds a shard of the original Holy Grail (which we all know was shattered in Philadelphia during the war of 1812) no cool famous person is allowed to die.

In other news, I had no idea Gene Wilder was still alive! That's great news! I'm glad my theory is correct!

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Sean Connery is rapidly heading down the same road Clint Eastwood's on these days, which is to say becoming less and less charming and personable, and more and more just some angry old arsehole.

• Options
    I'd be okay with Connery retiring to the halls of Valhalla, honestly. Nobody else though.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    They're both old as fuck though, I s'pose it's basically par for the course.

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Somehow, Morgan Freeman will narrate his own funeral.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    my favorite British actor

I will be disappointed if the new robot overlords don't use his voice for intimidation purposes

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I just started Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

This film is so good.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »

Mel Brooks is eighty-seven years old.

• Options
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I just started Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

I'm Ron Burgundy?
    Fun fact: There's no question mark in the title because Bob Zemeckis believed in an old superstition about films with question marks doing poorly at the box office

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Holy balls this WFRR factoid
    Terry Gilliam was offered the chance to direct, but he found the project too technically challenging. ("Pure laziness on my part," he later admitted, "I completely regret that decision.")

Can you imagine the pants on head madness if that had come to pass?

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    I probably wouldn't have liked it at all

As much as I love the BTTF trilogy, Who Framed Roger Rabbit is definitely my favorite Zemeckis film

• Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Terry Gilliam was offered the chance to direct, but he found the project too technically challenging. ("Pure laziness on my part," he later admitted, "I completely regret that decision.")

Well thank fuck for that

UmPiq.png
  • Options
    MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    Bob Hoskins was great. I actually liked the Mario Bros. movie because of him.

3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    This is one of my favorite pieces of dialog in the film.
    Eddie: (after discovering Roger in his bed) How the hell did you get in here?!
    Roger: Through the mailslot! I thought it'd be best if I waited inside, seeing as how I'm wanted for murder!
    Eddie: No kidding! Just talking to you could get me a rap for aiding and abetting. Wait a minute! Anybody know you're here?
    Roger: Nobody. Not a soul, except, uh--
    Eddie: Who?
    Roger: Well, you see, I didn't know where your office was. So I asked the newsboy. He didn't know! So I asked the fireman, the green grocer, the butcher, the baker-- They didn't know! But the liquor store guy, he knew.

• Options
    Is there nothing that can permeate your impervious puss?

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    Somehow, Morgan Freeman will narrate his own funeral.

Just record it ahead of time, no-one will disobey whatever he says they're doing.

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Oh and it's a kids' movie featuring both an on-screen execution of a cute cartoon character as well as a thinly-veiled inter-species sex-scene.

Hey man, sometimes Patty Cake is just Patty Cake.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    My favorite:

Eddie: You mean you could've taken your hand out of that cuff at any time?
    Roger: No, not at any time. Only when it was funny.

ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »

How about some of these actor choices:

For Eddie Valiant, they were supposedly considering: Eddie Murphy, Wallace Shawn, Chevy Chase, Ed Harris, and Harrison Ford. They also wanted Bill Murray but were unable to contact him (when he later found out about it, he said he would have done it).

For Judge Doom, they considered Christopher Lee but he turned them down. Tim Curry auditioned, but like when he auditioned for Joker in BtAS, they just thought he was too damn scary.

• Options
    Tim Curry would have been soooooooooo scarrrrrrrrrrrrry.

• Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    "Not prostate, you idiot, PROBATE!"

Roger Rabbit has been in rotation on one of the HD movie channels, and it looks really good all cleaned up. Hopefully Hook will pop up on one of the channels, too, so I can watch that again as a grownup. What about Smee, indeed.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I can't see anybody else in that role, no matter how many great actors you throw at me. Hoskins is Valiant.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    Hoskins was one of my favorite character actors. The man knew how to just fall into a role.

After seeing WFRR, I remember having my mind absolutely blown when I found out he was British.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    How I eat Turkey legs.

izWkYC4xk2I8X.gif

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Even now, if you told me that Smee and Eddie Valiant were played by the same person, I'd call you a liar for quite a while. He's just so different in both roles!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    As an example: Smee looks a bit like my dad. Valiant looks nothing like my dad.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    I have this constant problem with Hoskins, whereby it feels completely strange to me to think of him as a big-name, well-known celebrity. It's probably because my main association with him as a child was 'the guy from the BT adverts', and so it sort of developed the idea that he's just some gruff cockney who's happened into a couple of films. I recognise how completely wrong that is because I love the guy and his work, but it's a weird association that I've not been able to break.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    The Geek wrote: »
    Oh and it's a kids' movie featuring both an on-screen execution of a cute cartoon character as well as a thinly-veiled inter-species sex-scene.

Hey man, sometimes Patty Cake is just Patty Cake.

That was the whole joke, wasn't it?

That the implied sex was, in fact, just them playing Patty Cake.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    That Roger reacts to the photos of literal patty cake as if it were figurative patty cake is one of those great jokes I didn't get until I saw it as an adult.

ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Xehalus wrote: »
    my favorite British actor

I will be disappointed if the new robot overlords don't use his voice for intimidation purposes

We can do that.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Ladai wrote: »
    That Roger reacts to the photos of literal patty cake as if it were figurative patty cake is one of those great jokes I didn't get until I saw it as an adult.

Haha, right?

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204