As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Virtual Reality]RE Vive this Holiday Season with Valve/HTC's VR!

TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
edited March 2015 in Games and Technology
oculus-rift-kickstarter.jpg

What is Oculus Rift?
It's goddamn virtual reality. The stuff we've been promised in Movies, books, and TV shows since the 70's. The stuff that big gaming companies like Sega, Nintendo and Atari promised and never delivered. More specifically, it's a Head Mounted Display that does all sorts of motion tracking that works with your PC and various softwares to immerse you in a fully 3D world. Instead of looking at a flat (or stereoscopic) screen in front of you and moving the camera around with glorified RC controls, your head and eyes are the camera. Piloting a mech? Look to your left to see out of the side window as you continue to move forward. Throw a basketball up high? Follow it in the air with your head as though it's actually there.

Any peripherals?
Well, Oculus readily admits that their stuff is only the first step.

stem_system02v4.jpg
The Sixaxis STEM ain't your granddad's motion controller.
Sixense developed the electromagnetic motion tracking technology that is used in consumer products worldwide. The STEM System represents the next generation of this technology, with a new architecture that delivers longer range, lower latency, and better performance at all ranges.

Wireless motion tracking

Freedom of movement for any activity, from desktop competitive gaming to VR with full body tracking and locomotion.

Five tracking points

Allows tracking of all four limbs plus the head – or any other configuration.

Extended range

Optimized performance from the desktop to the living room, with an 8-foot radius (16-foot diameter) range from the Base.

Backward compatibility via the Sixense SDK

Uses an updated version of the Sixense SDK (for Windows, Mac OS and Linux) that also supports games and applications developed for the Razer Hydra.

Our technology uses an A/C electromagnetic field to determine the position and orientation of each STEM (up to five per system) relative to a stationary base. The STEM System allows an uninterrupted and consistent user experience unlike any other motion control system.

No drift

Because Sixense technology does not rely on inertial sensors (gyroscopes and accelerometers) for position tracking, the measured position of each STEM will not drift over time, whether you move quickly, slowly, or not at all.

Low latency

Patented Sixense latency technology is used in the STEM System – giving it the lowest latency of any wireless consumer motion control system.

One-to-one tracking

This means that the STEM System tracks both position and orientation on all three axes for each STEM. These data are very easy for developers to incorporate into software applications via the Sixense SDK.

No line of sight required between STEMs and the Base

You have the freedom to turn around, put the STEMs in your pockets or stand behind your couch – all without interrupting the tracking performance.

color-locomotive_with-zdepth-e1370323677994.jpg
Your own personal holodeck. Not really...more like a strollingdeck:
The Virtuix Omni™ is the first virtual reality interface for moving freely and naturally in your favorite game.

The Virtuix Omni™ takes virtual reality to the next level— allowing anyone to stand up and traverse virtual worlds with the natural use of their own feet. Moving naturally in virtual reality creates an unprecedented sense of immersion that cannot be experienced sitting down.

Applications of natural movement in virtual reality stretch far beyond gaming: training and simulation, fitness, virtual tourism, virtual tradeshows and events, meet-ups and multi-person adventures, virtual workplaces, museums, VR architecture, VR concerts… The possibilities are limitless.

Why should I care about this?
Oculus makes believers out of those who play it, without fail. There have been hundredsthousands of testimonials since it was in early beta and the theme is the same - even those who are on the fence about the stuff instantly become diehard believers after minutes with the Oculus Rift.

The Rift already seems to have its "Killer app," its Wii Sports, if you will. Dubbed "Tuscany" this is a free demo that seems to show off better than most just what the Oculus Rift can do. It's fully compatible with the Rift and the razer hydra to provide a complete virtual reality playground. Behold:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07IwxUD8N8E

There is a moment in that video where the guy throws a basketball high into the air, arcing it so it'll land behind him. he follows the ball in the air and leans backwards in his chair, stretching his arm out backwards and catches the ball. It's only later in the video, when he's reflecting, that he realizes how incredibly complex what he did was, and yet how the immersion made the experience natural and easy.

Much like Wii Sports, this demo seems to have transcended barriers. No matter how good or bad you are at gaming, how old or young you are, what you've seen or what you've done, a few moments in Tuscany seems to be all it takes to make even 90 year old grandmothers go off about how mind blowing and game changing Rift is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAC5SeNH8jw

It's the sort of product that instantly shows you everything you need to know in order to come to the conclusion that Rift is not a minor innovation, but rather a major step forward.

What is the future of Rift applications?
That's the most exciting part - reading the developer boards on oculus' website reveals thousands of people brimming with ideas. The nature of how different Rift is compared to conventional computing demands a different approach to virtually everything, from UI to what is simply possible. A few people, for example, are attempting to create a usable OS UI within Rift. Their concept demo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs9kocefwaA

This is the sort of stuff that Rift will make possible. Medical and military fields stand to benefit immensely from Rift. Combined with the Omni and HydraSTEM, there is just so much that seems possible at the moment. It's all crude, but unlike other gimmicky technology the Rift appears to be structurally sound in its foundation, meaning that going forward it'll be more about tweaking concepts to make them work, rather than trying to get a fundamentally broken principal accepted.

For the immediate future, Rift has 3 games that officially support it:

Team Fortress 2 VR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P50fvL_EWYY

This is Valve's first Oculus Rift product, a simple update to TF2 to enable VR controls. By contrast to using the SDK to map mouselook to the headset, Valve actually went in and retooled TF2's controls to better support Oculus Rift and the Razer Hydra. The end result, according to those who have used it, is that the small control improvements go unnoticed until you try a game without them, at which point you realize how vital they are. Your crosshair, for example, is not bound to your headtracking, but rather it works like a Wiimote. You are free to aim your crosshair all around your vision, like a mouse on a desktop, and push the screen around the bounding edges also like the Wii. However, turning is achieved primarily through your head tracking. People say that it doesn't replace the normal TF2 experience, and that you'd probably be at a disadvantage compared to someone with a KB&M, but that it's simply fun and worth playing around with.

HAWKEN
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STUIuKPa5Wo

For gamers, this is likely the killer app beyond Tuscany. HAWKEN is an actiony, arcadey mech fighting game that plays like a fast, arcade version of Mechwarrior. It fully supports Oculus Rift, and is free to play. More than TF2, the benefits of being able to look around in your cockpit are evident, because your sights aren't lined up to your current view. You can be shooting and walking forward, while looking out of the left window to check for enemies sneaking up on you. The way Oculus surrounds your vision is supposed to be especially pronounced in HAWKEN, giving the illusion that you really are sitting inside of a several stories-tall mech. That you can peer downwards and see the ground below you reinforces this.

EVR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUpg9f8I-rQ

Though technically not announced - this was a demo put together in 7 weeks using a dev kit - it's assumed that this will become a full game. Set in the EVE Online universe, this has been described as a spiritual successor to Wing Commander and X-wing, albeit in virtual fucking reality holy shit! Unlike HAWKEN and TF2 VR, EVR's control scheme is linked to Oculus Rift in a unique way - while you normally have access to rapid fire guns, you also have a number of target-seeking missiles. To lock onto a target, you simply look at it for a few seconds until the computer starts tracking it, at which point your missiles will automatically hit the target. because this is a 3D space dogfighting game, it seems to translate into players frantically looking all around the cockpit, trying to keep enemies in their vision to take them out. Of all the Rift projects, this seems the most unique.

So where can I get Oculus Rift?
Oculus Rift has no announced price. It has no official launch date. It doesn't even have a launch window - most are assuming it'll launch Fall 2014 for ~$350. No major video game consoles existing or upcoming support it, although, given the nature of the Steambox, it'll likely support the Rift by default. Hell, even the final specs for the Rift aren't settled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlXrjTh7vHc

BUT you can still get your hands on a Rift today -- or in July, at least. Developers can purchase an Oculus Rift dev kit 2 from the Oculus website for $350 - http://www.oculusvr.com/

camera_dk2.jpg

Purchasing a dev kit gets you a unit in July. These are prototypes running at a lower resolution, in an uglier shell, with unfinished software. The screens on the prototype produce roughly a 980p image, while Oculus is aiming for 1080p in the final. However, and this is the most important part - they work. Those who have received their dev kits say that, even as unfinished as everything is, the Rift is still absolutely stunning and ready for the spotlight.

TSR.jpg

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
TehSpectre on

• TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Making OP adjustments here and there. Beep beep boop.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    TehSpectre, you're a true gent.

Can't wait to get my dev kit 2. Of course it looks like pretty much when it's rumoured to be shipped (July time), I'll be adopting two kids, so the time I may possibly have had to develop will go right out the window.

...unless I make a parenting simulator beforehand. Two kids. Two headsets (Dev kit 1 + 2). Perfect!

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    I demoed for a friend of mine (Tuscany, ocean rift, voyager, cinema and the horror game). I know this is not news anymore but his excitement was instant and visible. He said, "I wasn't expecting THIS." Videos to follow when he posts them.

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I read an article the other day about a 3D artist whose mother was dying of cancer. Her mother had spent a lot of time in her garden, but had become bedridden. The daughter sent a request to Oculus for a Rift to help her mother experience the outdoors again, so they sent her a loaner that had come back. It was a huge comfort to her mom.

She was working with a team of developers to recreate a portion of the neighborhood for simulation in the rift so her mom could go for a walk one last time, but her mom passed away before they could complete it.

It was heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time.

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Hah, sensationalism.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/05/03/facebook-twists-reality-again-and-risks-ruining-your-children/

It's an opinion piece, so a lot of what he's saying is total nonsense. I guess I'm just kinda surprised that people actually think that way. Anywho, thought ya'll might be interested in it.

Stabbity_Style.png
    edited May 2014
    I find it significant that a Fox employed column writer advocates bigger government oversight of people's activities.

Nova_C on
  • BremenBremen Registered User regular
    Hah, sensationalism.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/05/03/facebook-twists-reality-again-and-risks-ruining-your-children/

It's an opinion piece, so a lot of what he's saying is total nonsense. I guess I'm just kinda surprised that people actually think that way. Anywho, thought ya'll might be interested in it.

I'm pretty sure that somewhere, long buried, there are engraved stone tablets stating that reading from papyrus scrolls will be harmful to children. Pretty much every time some new medium comes around people start screaming about it rotting children's minds.

• BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    I like watching Frank Zappa's interviews about Rock and Roll and seeing exactly the same arguments.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    I couldn't read more than the second paragraph because I don't want to die from a rage embolism.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • GSMGSM Registered User regular
    So Doom3 VR was canceled because Oculus wouldn't give ZeniMax equity.
    ZeniMax canceled virtual reality support for Doom 3 BFG after Oculus VR refused to give the company a "non-dilutable equity stake in Oculus," according to a statement released to Polygon from Oculus this morning.
    http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/5/5682818/zenimax-oculus-vr-claim-response

And that's the only new piece of news in the whole article. Man, who wouldn't want a non-dilutable equity stake in Oculus? Facebook money completely aside, VR is clearly the future. Just look at all the moral panic articles already appearing!

We'll get back there someday.
    It's one thing to claim that the company is using proprietary code, but that just makes Zenimax sound like children.

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    It's one thing to claim that the company is using proprietary code, but that just makes Zenimax sound like children.

Yeah, jeez. No wonder Carmack left, if he was having to put up with stuff like that.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Was there any discussion of Carmack's employment contract with Zenimax beforehand? Some companies have bullshit "anything you develop while employed here belongs to us" clauses, and I'm wondering if that's where Zenimax is coming from on this thing.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    OR's code is open and available, according to the article, and yet Zenimax has failed to point any stolen lines.

They're trying to out-ea actvision.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular

I um, ... don't
    huuurrrk

ok, yeah.

So annoying, this video doesn't tell you what the app is called. Does anyone know? bunch of doors leading to different websites? http://youtu.be/QzNUvyFFcK8

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Wow, it took almost 20 years, but we finally have the internet as envisioned by The Ripper.

• KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Bremen wrote: »
    Hah, sensationalism.

I'm pretty sure that somewhere, long buried, there are engraved stone tablets stating that reading from papyrus scrolls will be harmful to children. Pretty much every time some new medium comes around people start screaming about it rotting children's minds.

Socrates, in Phaedrus:
    When it came to writing, Theuth said, "This discipline, my King, will make the Egyptians wiser and will improve their memories: my invention is a recipe for both memory and wisdom." But the King said, "Theuth, my master of arts, to one man it is given to create the elements of an art, to another to judge the extent of harm and usefulness it will have for those who are going to employ it. And now, since you are father of written letters, your paternal goodwill has led you to pronounce the very opposite of what is their real power. The fact is that this invention will produce forgetfulness in the souls of those who have learned it. They will not need to exercise their memories, being able to rely on what is written, calling things to mind no longer from within themselves by their own unaided powers, but under the stimulus of external marks that are alien to themselves. So it's not a recipe for memory, but for reminding, that you have discovered. And as for wisdom, you're equipping your pupils with only a semblance of it, not with truth. Thanks to you and your invention, your pupils will be widely read without benefit of a teacher's instruction; in consequence, they'll entertain the delusion that they have wide knowledge, while they are, in fact, for the most part incapable of real judgment. They will also be difficult to get on with since they will have become wise merely in their own conceit, not genuinely so."

• TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    I really, really want to buy a DevKit2. The only thing holding me back is an expected consumer release around November. However, going to craigs list makes it seem hat DevKit 1's have held their value. One guys is looking to trade one for a PS4.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    OR's code is open and available, according to the article, and yet Zenimax has failed to point any stolen lines.

And it is entirely possible that airing the codebase is a diversion from the core issue, that they are running with ideas that Carmack gave them while he was an employee of Zenimax.

This is less an issue of who is morally in the right and more of a "how do courts handle precedent like this," and I still don't think the case is so very cut and dry.

I just want it to settle peacefully, and in a fashion that lets Oculus still come out and maybe get some AAA support from Zenimax.

Android phone makers and Apple pay Microsoft a few bucks per phone sold for underlying technologies. In exchange, Microsoft makes sure those devices work with their infrastructure tech like AD and ActiveSync/Exchange.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Suriko wrote: »

That looks like so much fucking fun

JtgVX0H.png
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

And it is entirely possible that airing the codebase is a diversion from the core issue, that they are running with ideas that Carmack gave them while he was an employee of Zenimax.

This is less an issue of who is morally in the right and more of a "how do courts handle precedent like this," and I still don't think the case is so very cut and dry.

I just want it to settle peacefully, and in a fashion that lets Oculus still come out and maybe get some AAA support from Zenimax.

Android phone makers and Apple pay Microsoft a few bucks per phone sold for underlying technologies. In exchange, Microsoft makes sure those devices work with their infrastructure tech like AD and ActiveSync/Exchange.

I worry that John Carmack's signature is on a contract that says all ideas developed by him whilst employed by Zenimax are property of Zenimax. I have to imagine he'd be smarter than to a) sign something like that and b) forget about it, but my worry is that that's what Zenimax think they have.

forumsig.png
  • frenetic_ferretfrenetic_ferret wildest weasel East Coast is Best CoastRegistered User regular
    Tommatt wrote: »
    I really, really want to buy a DevKit2. The only thing holding me back is an expected consumer release around November. However, going to craigs list makes it seem hat DevKit 1's have held their value. One guys is looking to trade one for a PS4.

I ordered a DK2 as I don't want to wait and am already pissed I missed out on DK1. I'll buy the retail one on release as well so I can have friends over for coop games. Buy both, eat rice and beans for a bit!

edited May 2014
    darleysam wrote: »

I worry that John Carmack's signature is on a contract that says all ideas developed by him whilst employed by Zenimax are property of Zenimax. I have to imagine he'd be smarter than to a) sign something like that and b) forget about it, but my worry is that that's what Zenimax think they have.

Given he was also working for a space technology group, I can't imagine Carmack would sign something like that.

Undead Scottsman on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited May 2014

Given he was also working for a space technology group, I can't imagine Carmack would sign something like that.

One big thing to remember is that Oculus was in no way created by John Carmack, it was Palmer Luckey. Carmack just came out as an early supporter of the idea because Carmack has a serious thing for VR and then eventually became part of the company (I think after he'd left Zenimax?)

I'm sure Zenimax is going to do everything they can try and prove otherwise but I think they might have a hard time with that.

HappylilElf on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular

How can Zenimax prove that Idea 837 was developed whilst employed by Zenimax if it's not documented code? The burden of proof is all theirs.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Telepresence with Rift + video cameras

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ghgbycqb92c

Crazy.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Telepresence with Rift + video cameras

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ghgbycqb92c

I thought I saw a similar video, only they were in a Doom 3 level or something, and had a Portal gun and stuff. Might have even been the same guy

JtgVX0H.png
  • AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    So, seems there's potentially a new player on the VR scene.

antvr.com/

Seems pretty comparable to the Oculus, the big one-up being the wirelessness. I'll admit, I do think the idea of putting the hmu's battery in the controller is kinda brilliant. If only the controller itself didn't seem so... bad?

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    they are going to have to deal with a hell of a lot of problems to get the latency low enough with a wireless version. To me, right now, that's a big disadvantage. Oculus had to try very hard to drop their WIRED latency from 20ms to 2ms.

• DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Not sure if this was brought up in the thread as the video is from back in september

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnDJXYjFZUg

But I would think this along with stuff like Oculus and Omni would make a pretty complete package.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
    Geez, so between this and the OR I'm looking at $700 before I build my PC. I think I am goingto wait on the omni- too worried about sweating in the OR.

• AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    they are going to have to deal with a hell of a lot of problems to get the latency low enough with a wireless version. To me, right now, that's a big disadvantage. Oculus had to try very hard to drop their WIRED latency from 20ms to 2ms.

they say their latency is at 1ms, using the newest whdi tech.. who knows how true any of it is though, i've yet to see anyone use it in a video that isn't one of their own promotional ones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXXcKQZUSWY

• KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Atheraal wrote: »

they say their latency is at 1ms, using the newest whdi tech.. who knows how true any of it is though, i've yet to see anyone use it in a video that isn't one of their own promotional ones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXXcKQZUSWY

I immediately lost interest when they mentioned inertia based tracking...

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e9-lCcpExo

Pretty cool.

Also, apparently Luckey is a brony. Just a neat little tidbit of information.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Okay - the InfinAdeck's pretty cool as a proof of concept. They just need to get the latency down a little bit to handle direction changes better and maybe increase the footprint a bit on the across direction.