As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Can't stop the [PHOTO]

• Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Power of: Abstract twirly flower!

o1e6hxaz74fh.jpg

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    You jest, but I really like this "Abstract twirly flower".

• Options
    This is the extent of my photos from visiting a friend in Aspen. So much smoke from the western fires ruined the possibility of other landscape photos.

• Options
    This is the extent of my photos from visiting a friend in Aspen. So much smoke from the western fires ruined the possibility of other landscape photos.

Aw that's a huge bummer, yeah the smoke has been nasty the last few days. Although it is creating some incredible golden hour light for natural portrait lighting.

• Options
    I forgot that I took another non-landscape photo:

01cxhlcv5jc4.jpg

• Options
    That is a really cool statue, I was going to say after first glance that I might have wanted to see the whole thing without the crop on the top, but I also don't think it takes anything away from the photo either.

Messing around with this black and white thing a little more.
    20205560814_2fbbda92e5_c.jpgBailey in Black and White by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    love the texture in the lower half of that shot, @Prospicience

some dust-specked, grainy, heavily vignetted point-and-shoots from the 50th (and possibly final roll of film) developed in my immortal chemicals:

20217839524_2a5387fd6e_c.jpg
    Memorial by jeremy o., on Flickr

20830899292_7cd3efe804_c.jpg
    Winter Vibes by jeremy o., on Flickr

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Baron DirigibleBaron Dirigible Registered User regular
    Memorial is fantastic, and the vignetting is great. Finish those chems on a high!

• Options
    Agreed, love the colors, vignetting and depth of field; all really adds to the composition. Will be sad to no longer see them chem photos but it was a good run!... at the same time I won't miss those dust speckles ;)

Trying to go through old photos and find one for the @muninn challenge, man it is more difficult than I thought it'd be (and I didn't think it was going to be super easy).

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Can I ask equipment questions here?

I've been running with a canon xsi with varying lenses for many years and still love the damn thing. However, lugging everything around has become a serious burden with also carrying around everything for a toddler. Plus the xsi doesn't do video. Anyhow, I was thinking of getting something like this Nikon L840.

It's in my budget range and has a billion features I've never had in a camera before. My question is: are there better option under $300 USD?

I haven't been in this thread in a long time because I haven't been taking many pictures lately. I want to with a new all-in-one camera. Help me? :)

• Options
    *Shrug* I'm running a Canon 5D from 2007ish. So hopefully someone else has a better answer.

• Options
    Oh man yeah, I dunno either. I think you're more or less always going with most nikon or canon cameras. I do however know sony's small cameras are pretty incredible. My dad gets some pretty incredible photos with his little sony, I've also played with it a bit on full manual. From what I've been reading Sony is at the top right now for small and mirrorless cameras.

TLDR: there might be something comparable or better in Sony's camera lines. That's about all the advice I've really got, but again Nikon, Canon, Fuji and Olympus always (more or less) put out quality cameras.

• Options
    20566918503_5899b959c2_c.jpg
    Wower's Edge by jeremy o., on Flickr

back in the digital saddle for a while. i forgot how much of a hassle post production is. i don't even know if i like this treatment, but you just give up after a while.

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    21023412259_bfcddc04cf_c.jpg
    Barriers by jeremy o., on Flickr

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    So no one participated in my little challenge? Quite disappointing, especially since people didn't even have to go out and shoot new work to participate. And i had prizes ready an everything. Oh well, time to move on.

Also, a picture, in color!

21589958415_c52707e335_c.jpg_DSC0127 by Maciej, on Flickr

• Options
    i was thinking about it, but i just couldn't really think of a photo that was good and also easy to critique. but my shooting style is pretty off-the-hip anyway, and when there are obvious improvements to be made it's usually just a matter of more patience both when shooting and in development

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    <insert excuse for not posting photo>

• Options
    edited September 2015
    I still think I'm going to do the challenge, more just to improve myself than for competition sake.

I got a fuji xe-2 and the 2.8 recently because of the price drop, and while it's ridiculously light, takes great photos and is a great travel camera I'm having a hard time justifying the spending of money on it.

So I may send it back, or sell it on craigslist if I can't return it. Anyways, I'd been having a hard time doing personal photo stuff for the last month, even on vacation I didn't get many I was happy with. But I have been doing a lot of different types of photography, so here's a few that I kinda liked.

21791777296_cf87d6f670_c.jpgColorado Angles by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

21195200474_798996e2a6_c.jpgLillian by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

21658011315_ea72981ea1_c.jpgGrayskul by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

21470081070_2ef48c464c_c.jpgDSCF1397 by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

BW was inspired by munnin's black and whites. I figure while I live in the city I may as well take advantage of it.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    I stuck this in the SE++ travel tread, but realized that this really isn't a travel photo, but an art photo that I'll touch up in photoshop when I get home, so I can print it out for my wall.
    SDdPeo8l.jpg

iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Posted with mod informed.

Hey everyone, just wondering if any professional photographers / photo editing types were interested in some freelance work on my wedding photos. I've got both .jpegs and raw image files. Shoot me a PM if interested - probably around 15-20 photos in total for general touch ups and maybe some more artistic stuff for framing.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    @Hsu really cool idea! If it were me I would have toned down the moon-lit clouds a bit, as they look a bit unnatural being so bright and all.

And being inspired by @Prospicience I have been trying more color landscapes.

21836674471_f401f59fc1_z.jpg_DSC9401 by Maciej, on Flickr

• Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    muninn, that jpg of Copernicus is almost uneditted - just cropped & downsampled. The full moon just happened to be at the right spot. I jacked up the exposure compensation to get a better histogram for the raw file, but I don't have access to photoshop with me in Poland, so I can't readjust the tones to be darker, or to remove the street / building lights. I don't travel with a tripod either, or else I would've taken a longer exposure shot at 200 ISO for the least grain. Instead I had to deal with 3200 ISO at F2.8 for 1/15s.

iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    Like that photo a lot @munnin, looking forward to seeing more landscapes from you and the photo you took with your camera that you took a photo of. That's a mouthful.

On top of inktober I'm trying to post a photo everyday to flickr. I don't want to flood this thread so I may start my own thread to update. Anyways, here's yesterday's and today's photos.

Some crazy cloud over Boulder yesterday morning.
    21872166491_3e1331b017_c.jpgSmooth Operator by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

A throw back to my "On the road" series.
    21900917651_f3a992befc_c.jpgHay There by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

• Options
    edited October 2015
    On top of inktober I'm trying to post a photo everyday to flickr. I don't want to flood this thread so I may start my own thread to update. Anyways, here's yesterday's and today's photos.

@Prospicience Just post the photos here. We don't mind, and also it will make the thread a little more active.

I love the cloud picture.

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    VortigernVortigern Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Hey guys, I've had an account for a while, but rarely post. In Feb I bought a Rebel T3 from a friend and I've been shooting off and on ever since. If anyone wants to offer critiques, I'm definitely looking to get better.

I'm using the T3 with the kit lens, and I've since added a Canon 50-255mm zoom and a Canon 10-18mm ultra-wide to my kit. The ultra-wide I just recently bought as I'm going to Iceland for a week in 2 weeks. So any advice on the best techniques for it on big landscapes would be really welcome!

Here's a couple of opening pics:

HDR of some clouds as a storm rolls in off my balcony:

lmhcv3gm6h1y.jpg

My friends dog Faye at the cottage:

oyerd7swoh72.jpg

2 shots of a storm culvert where I was playing with focus:
    a7jtoio1ebe7.jpg
    18onmok19cra.jpg

Vortigern on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Welcome Vortigern!

Really like the storm clouds photo. My only critique is on the macro photo with the plant: If you had rotated around to the left you might have been able to frame the plant in complete black to make plant in the foreground stand out a bit more. I do like the photo, but it gets a little lost in the green reflections in the background. That also could have not even been an option with your surroundings though.

A couple more for this october thing.
    21797877469_52ea2af4a5_c.jpgHouse before the hill by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

21769238170_c744684b15_c.jpgUntitled by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

21797114768_a271c14647_c.jpgBald by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

Prospicience on
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    @Prospicience Are those last shots west of Laramie, WY? It all looks awfully familiar.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Close! They're all from WY's friendly neighbor Colorado, along the front range.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    21813656130_67f7a9d176_c.jpg_DSC9965 by Maciej, on Flickr

Edit:
    And another vacation photo taken on instant film:

21815693999_646d08363d.jpgiceland fp-100c by Maciej, on Flickr

muninn on
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    It isn't actual art per se, but I took some photos of my cat.

jUs11Tv1

Oh no give me my hand back!

0rZqg2I8

No more arting for me, ever again. Hand is lost.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Just a quick post here, @muninn if there's one iceland pic I know there's more!

Some late night shenanigans.
    21872475820_633e735399_c.jpgLiana Live by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

Edit:
    And Horses
    21874614149_62424d7dcb_c.jpgBW Horses by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

Edit 2: Last one for now I swear.
    21873587700_d8d9b785da_c.jpgOn the Ball by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

Prospicience on
  • Options
    VortigernVortigern Registered User regular
    Thanks for the compliments Prospicience! I got lucky and happened to be home when the storm front was rolling in. I like your idea with the culvert. Composition is something I'm working on, but I'm guessing it generally takes a bit of time to develope. I take a shot, like it, then start noticing other ways to frame it. Good thing they're mostly local so I can make notes and go try again!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Yeah composition takes time. It also takes a lot of time learning your lenses to the point where you can look at a subject and almost imagine how your lens could capture what your eye sees, or what lens would best capture what your eye sees. Keep working on it!... I know I am.

Here's a basement from a house I took photos of today. This house has been in the same family for 92 years and they're now selling it. Kinda sad, seems like homes don't really stay in families for very long anymore in America.

22130477801_3389a443c6_c.jpgBasement by Lee Stonehouse, on Flickr

I love old basements, hoping I'll get to shoot a lot of basements this month in honor of upcoming halloween.

Prospicience on
  • Options

21940134449_7f2c505845_c.jpg_DSC1875 by Maciej, on Flickr

• Options
    Where is that @muninn

I feel like I've been there.

• Options
    ooohraaooohraa Registered User regular
    cgvvot0kj53o.jpg

Would love to achieve this kind of result for a night shot. Just done by moving the camera and then the flash I guess?

• Options
    ooohraaooohraa Registered User regular
    Looks like artwork, so cool :)

• Options
    @ooohraa This is for your own photography, not for posting stock photos. Doubleposting is also generally not allowed in most forums here.

Please read the main rules page and each subforum's rules page before continuing! I'd hate to see a new poster end up with a bunch of infractions for not knowing the lay of the land.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Well, double posting is one thing. He did ask a question about how to achieve the same effect as the stock photo though, which is probably okay. Edit: he's actually double posting just about everywhere he/she posts. That'll get people upset pretty quickly.

@ooohraa you basically guessed it, you can find lots of concert photos where they do a similar "technique." This one looks like they may have zoomed in (or zoomed out), as well as moving the camera after the flash. They honestly may have not even used a flash here, can't completely tell.

Prospicience on