As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Megaten/Persona Discussion] SMTxFE returns(without much SMT).

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    0%

I mean the chances are low, but they aren't that low, given a very long period of time in which it may be ported.

I don't think anybody could've predicted P4G on freakin' Vita until it was announced, but then it was.

Portable to non-portable is pretty rare though. In addition to the standard porting stuff, the developer would need to take out all Streetpass related stuff.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    What a tragedy

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I'm trying to go back to SMT IV right now. I was stuck in that area where you need to kill seven Corpse enemies followed by a boss. Powered through that, and hopefully I can settle back in fairly easily. In case I'm just missing it...is there a spell or item to warp out of dungeons, or do you have to walk back to town every time?

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    I got stuck in a replay of SMTIV on the neutral path. There was some boss that just rocked the shit out of me no matter what I did. Shame cause I wanted to see the ending.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Yo, free Kaguya for Europe!

• Options
    SkulloSkullo Registered User regular
    So I've never beaten P4, but I've picked up Persona Q.

I'm currently up to
    Heaven
    in my P4 play through. Will Q spoil anything for me or am I good to go? I started the game up and saw it's set during a point I've passed in P4, but I don't know if it stays that way.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    0%

I mean the chances are low, but they aren't that low, given a very long period of time in which it may be ported.

I don't think anybody could've predicted P4G on freakin' Vita until it was announced, but then it was.

Portable to non-portable is pretty rare though. In addition to the standard porting stuff, the developer would need to take out all Streetpass related stuff.

I'd also peg the chances at 0%. It's not like, say, Assassin's Creed Liberation where there's a large number of people in the main sales market who would want to play it on a console. It's SMT4 and consoles are on life support in Japan.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular
    0%

They'd also need to choose to do something about the dual screens, and like Dehumanized said, you're talking about a situation where they'd be doing it just for the West, given the nature of home consoles in Japan. I'd put "ever ported to a home console in the history of the universe" at maybe 1% (and that's probably assuming some kind of "SMT Complete Collection" or something), realistically speaking it's 0%.

There's plenty of precedent for home to handheld, I wouldn't even characterize P4G as a surprise. The other way any time soon, especially for a [3]DS game, is unlikely to the point of being ruled out.

3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Portable to non-portable happens a lot with Sony. But I don't see SMT4 or PQ ever making it to a non-porrable console.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Well, when I say greater than 0%, I really mean .1% chance. I agree that it is incredibly unlikely, but given a very long timeline anything is possible.

• Options
    Well, when I say greater than 0%, I really mean .1% chance. I agree that it is incredibly unlikely, but given a very long timeline anything is possible.

True enough. I guess you could always count a possible Virtual Console release, as well, assuming a console gen or two down the line starts emulating 3DS games.

• Options
    bss wrote: »

True enough. I guess you could always count a possible Virtual Console release, as well, assuming a console gen or two down the line starts emulating 3DS games.

snrk

That barren wasteland?

• Options
    Huh. The eshop says that Kaguya is available, but the menu for add-ons in Q just checks for updates then boots me back to the main menu.

• Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    I could conceivably see SMT4 ported to home consoles as part of a large SMT Collection like they did with MGS. It's still extremely unlikely and if it did happen, it probably wouldn't happen this generation.

Since Persona Q is a spin-off & uses the touch screen for mapping, I think a home console port is basically nil. I mean, they could stick it on the Wii U, but why bother?

• Options
    EO would be considerably less enjoyable without the stylus mapping features.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    I could conceivably see SMT4 ported to home consoles as part of a large SMT Collection like they did with MGS. It's still extremely unlikely and if it did happen, it probably wouldn't happen this generation.

Since Persona Q is a spin-off & uses the touch screen for mapping, I think a home console port is basically nil. I mean, they could stick it on the Wii U, but why bother?

I think some kind of SMT collection is the only way. I'm rather doubtful we'll ever see that happen at this point. Would be nice, though.

Drez on
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EM681FLQDFk
    I think I love that Aigis is utilised as an alarmclock.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    If you like SMT and/or Persona, you need a Vita and a 3DS. Simple as that.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Honestly, I'd prefer an SMT collection on the Vita. By which I mean the games that aren't currently on Vita: SMT1 (why isn't this out yet? It's on iPhone!), Digital Devil Saga, Raidou K, Persona 4 Ultramaxxed Saturday Night Fever, Catherine.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I did appreciate the Catherine reference in Persona Q, as well as the use of Mass Destruction when the P3 team does finally show up.

• Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    I am really, really liking Persona Q. This is no surprise given that I love Etrian games, but still. I was having trouble in the second dungeon, but I swapped Shinji out for Koromaru and Aigis out for Yukari and suddenly things are going a lot smoother. Koromaru being able to Mudo those fucking angels before they can seal someone is so nice. My team was critically lacking in the speed department, previously.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Naoto does the speed/IK thing really well too, considering she gets both light and dark spells. Then she gets Almighty spells, which are unbelievably powerful/freakin' expensive but completely free if she can boost.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Naoto does the speed/IK thing really well too, considering she gets both light and dark spells. Then she gets Almighty spells, which are unbelievably powerful/freakin' expensive but completely free if she can boost.

Oh yeah, I'm also using Naoto. Problem is she's not quite fast enough to go before those angels, so they can seal her before she can act and prevent her from even casting the Mudo, and then everything goes south.
    I suspect I'll wind up replacing her in the long run when I've got a more ideal sub for Koromaru, but I do like the redundancy for now.

• Options
    I did appreciate the Catherine reference in Persona Q, as well as the use of Mass Destruction when the P3 team does finally show up.

On the other side, Reach Out To The Truth plays when the P4 team first shows up in the P3 scenario.

• Options

Oh yeah, I'm also using Naoto. Problem is she's not quite fast enough to go before those angels, so they can seal her before she can act and prevent her from even casting the Mudo, and then everything goes south.
    I suspect I'll wind up replacing her in the long run when I've got a more ideal sub for Koromaru, but I do like the redundancy for now.

Huh, that's weird. P3Protag is usually the only person to go before her in my party, and she definitely gets to Mamudo the angels before they can act. I suspect her Agility starts scaling better when you level her a bit more. She's been one of my fastest party members from the start, though.

• Options

Huh, that's weird. P3Protag is usually the only person to go before her in my party, and she definitely gets to Mamudo the angels before they can act. I suspect her Agility starts scaling better when you level her a bit more. She's been one of my fastest party members from the start, though.
    It might just be a levels thing, or it might be because I'm on hard? Either way, She was my fastest character before and Koromaru is noticeably faster. Having a really fast character on the team is really useful, and I gave the dog the nod over Minato and Yosuke.

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2014

Well, dang. I didn't know the console situation was so dire in Japan. XBox, obviously, but are the Playstation 4 and WiiU really doing that badly?

Given that, I'm surprised that Persona 5 is even coming out on consoles. Maybe because P4 was a comparatively huge hit with Western audiences?

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options

Well, dang. I didn't know the console situation was so dire in Japan. XBox, obviously, but are the Playstation 4 and WiiU really doing that badly?

All home consoles are doing quite poorly. Wii U has the largest install base of the three by virtue of being around longer, but both it and PS4 are not selling well, with occasional bursts of life when big games come around. And the Wii U has the same third party problem there as it does here, which brings us to...
    Given that, I'm surprised that Persona 5 is even coming out on consoles. Maybe because P4 was a comparatively huge hit with Western audiences?

Well, the PS3's install base is huge compared to the other home consoles (and the Vita, to be fair). Even without using Gamebryo, releasing the game for PS3 makes a lot of sense. They apparently flirted with the idea of going to handhelds, but stuck with PS3 (and eventually PS4). Besides, this way we get P5Crimson on Vita in a couple years. :)

• Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Pretty much. It was going to be on a handheld, but they caved to popular demand.

The Anonymous on
  • Options
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I'm trying to go back to SMT IV right now. I was stuck in that area where you need to kill seven Corpse enemies followed by a boss. Powered through that, and hopefully I can settle back in fairly easily. In case I'm just missing it...is there a spell or item to warp out of dungeons, or do you have to walk back to town every time?

Anybody?

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular

The stylus mapping is pretty great, but lets not give it too much credit. The reason that EO is any good is because the actual combat and dungeon crawling is good, the same reason why any other dungeon crawler is good. The mapping is just a bonus.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular

Anybody?

I'm only 6-7 hours in, but I recently unlocked Terminals, which I assume are evenly spaced around the map. They let you teleport around, including back to town.

• Options

The stylus mapping is pretty great, but lets not give it too much credit. The reason that EO is any good is because the actual combat and dungeon crawling is good, the same reason why any other dungeon crawler is good. The mapping is just a bonus.

i enjoy the mapping considerably more than either of those things

in fact give me an EO game that is 100% mapping and 20% persona characters chatting with each other

• Options
    To do that I guess it'd have to be a new take on this classic game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h282Kx0zk3M

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Some of that music reminds me of Psychic Force, for some reason.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Labyrinth 3 is a great big dungeon of "Nope." Huge change of atmosphere compared to the first two environments and the FOE mechanics play into it nicely.

I'm starting to hit the issue that sometimes pops up in SMT games where all the magic oriented personas I have can generally only fuse into physical focused persona and that isn't great for a party of two mains, Mitsuru, Yukari, and Yukiko.

On the other hand, I doubt I need to be optimal at this point. I'm regularly getting "they're not so tough" messages against new enemies when i hit a new dungeon floor and I'm able to take down the previous floor's FOE without too much trouble (but a fair amount of time and a few items) and pick up a really strong armor as a result.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Honestly, I'd prefer an SMT collection on the Vita. By which I mean the games that aren't currently on Vita: SMT1 (why isn't this out yet? It's on iPhone!), Digital Devil Saga, Raidou K, Persona 4 Ultramaxxed Saturday Night Fever, Catherine.

I wish. Best we can hope for is probably PS2 support for the Vita.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Zerozaki IshikiZerozaki Ishiki Registered User regular
    I've been trying to swap characters out and level everyone, and all that's done is leave me so underleveled by floor three I can't get through an encounter with everyone alive. This is gonna get reeeeal grindy if I play it that way.

• Options
    I've been trying to swap characters out and level everyone, and all that's done is leave me so underleveled by floor three I can't get through an encounter with everyone alive. This is gonna get reeeeal grindy if I play it that way.

Yeah that's absolutely not the way to play.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I just go with 2 physical, 2 magic, and one dual. Right now, I've got P3MC, Teddie (Who I THINK could be dual. Maybe not by default, but he's got the stats for it, I think) Shinji, Yukari, and Yukiko.

edit: MAAAAN! Damage floor still counts towards exploration total? That's dumb as hell.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M