As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Wars Films] Broadsword Sabers! TIE Fighters! A Black Lead Character!

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    InkSplat wrote: »
    Not crazy about the badguy's face, looks kind of generic. Might look better in motion or with movie lightning. Still, Star Wars very rarely looks like it's concept art, so it could go a completley different way.
    Do we know who's playing the bad guy? Just from the images (jaw line, Vader head and robot hand), I would guess that that's evil Luke.
    Unlikely.
    Hamill rocked a beard during shooting.

9a827b8c7215721371e8c9a0f416f73c90ad2b64.jpg

• Options
    The_InfidelThe_Infidel Registered User regular
    I thought speculation was focused on Adam Driver as film 1 baddie...

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Not crazy about the badguy's face, looks kind of generic. Might look better in motion or with movie lightning. Still, Star Wars very rarely looks like it's concept art, so it could go a completley different way.
    Do we know who's playing the bad guy? Just from the images (jaw line, Vader head and robot hand), I would guess that that's evil Luke.
    Unlikely.
    Hamill rocked a beard during shooting.

9a827b8c7215721371e8c9a0f416f73c90ad2b64.jpg
    The beard will be removed, and Hamill's original chin will be inserted digitally in post production.

• Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    We got to hear some neat stuff in Iain McCaig's talk about character design at Spectrum last spring but I'd be willing to bet half of the stuff he told us was old news by that point.
    there was mostly a lot of "can't tell you that, can't tell you that but I CAN tell you..." kind of things, but yeah that Luke speculation sounds like what we were very teasingly told. Even if he isn't straight up dark side, he's fightin' some inner sith shit, it sounds like.
    ugh that was such a cool talk and I so totally failed to absorb a lot of it because I was having a hella anxiety day.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    On the images.
    I know I'm reaching, but my first though was of Nihilus and Kreia. If nothing else, I'm catching a hint of a female that's holding the Vader mask.

On Rebels.

I'm seriously enjoying the hell out of it. One part is cause my wife and kids love it and the rest is that I really like what they are doing.

That they are making the Imperials competent is one of my favorite things. The transport commander acting like he believed Zeb on the radio was great, but so is that Ezra's slingshot being rather ineffective against Stormtrooper armor is also a nice touch.

Chopper is quickly becoming a favorite of mine. He's not an R2 clone, but instead has his own personality. I like that they are making Chopper into an asshole too.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Rebels is pretty great yeah. Aside from the animation weirdness (which will get better, just like Clone Wars did) it's been good so far. I loved the scene in Ep1
    when Kanan pulled out his lightsaber and revealed he was a jedi. You can tell the imperial guy was "Holy shit this could be bad".

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    Khade97Khade97 PE10, UKRegistered User regular
    Last night was epic as I got to watch the first episode of Rebels with my 4 year old.

He absolutely loved it (as did I). He hid behind cushions at all the right places, and loved the crew of the Ghost and cheered them on. A great sight to see and certainly got more of a reaction from him than the Clone Wars stuff ever has.
    Was it just me or in the scene where the ISD captures the Ghost and the Imp transport was the ISD out of proportion? The two ships seemed to take up as much of the dock as the Tantive IV did, and there is no way the Ghost is that size is it?

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    Rebels is pretty great yeah. Aside from the animation weirdness (which will get better, just like Clone Wars did) it's been good so far. I loved the scene in Ep1
    when Kanan pulled out his lightsaber and revealed he was a jedi. You can tell the imperial guy was "Holy shit this could be bad".

Also after whatshisface shoots useless blaster bolts at
    Kanan, and gets sent flying for his effort

"Soo, first time fighting a jedi, sir?"

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    guys, part of me wants to watch the Rebels cartoon and the other part of me is completely and utterly repelled by the art style from all the previews and ads I've seen

it just like, visually looks gross but contains things I think I want in my life
    it is a weird contradiction
    does the visual style ever like, get better or less noticeable?

• Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm really enjoying Rebels so far. I like the balance they've struck between seriousness and humour. The interactions between the crew really remind me of Firefly in alot of ways.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    guys, part of me wants to watch the Rebels cartoon and the other part of me is completely and utterly repelled by the art style from all the previews and ads I've seen

it just like, visually looks gross but contains things I think I want in my life

I am not the biggest fan of the art style.

But so far the writing has been fun.

One thing though is it is in the OT era a bit before A New Hope. Which means the sound design is pretty much done and they are doing awesome with it.

I am not much of nerd with a lot of film/tv tech things but the sound design in the show especially with TIE Fighters really makes a lot of the show for me.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

Give it a try, it's a solid show.

Episode 3 spoilers
    Why do I doubt that they actually crashed the TIE?

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    @jdarksun - it's not just you.

I'm liking it so far. It reminds me, not just of Firefly, but of every SW RPG campaign I've played or run (WEG and d20).
    Still a bit iffy on Aladdin the Padawan (they even call him a "street rat" at one point), but the rest is good and they throw in some neat fan-nods (the troop transports in one episode are based on an old Kenner toy, forchrissakes). And the villains are fantastic.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    @jdarksun - it's not just you.

I'm liking it so far. It reminds me, not just of Firefly, but of every SW RPG campaign I've played or run (WEG and d20).
    Still a bit iffy on Aladdin the Padawan (they even call him a "street rat" at one point), but the rest is good and they throw in some neat fan-nods (the troop transports in one episode are based on an old Kenner toy, forchrissakes).

I'm ok with them transitioning from Farm Boy (twice) to Street Rat for the coming of age tale.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    The pilot is voiced by Jan from the Jedi Knights game. Rebels is a-ok with me.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    The Rise of the Old Masters episode of Rebels is rad. If it's a taste of things to come I'm fully on board. There were even moments where you could see the animation getting better, even after just a few episodes. Good stuff!

• Options
    xraydog wrote: »
    The Rise of the Old Masters episode of Rebels is rad. If it's a taste of things to come I'm fully on board. There were even moments where you could see the animation getting better, even after just a few episodes. Good stuff!

Is Ep 4 already up?

• Options
    That's the cool thing about CGI cartoons, the more of an animation library they have, the better the animation, so shows just get better and better looking.

• Options
    xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    edited October 2014

Is Ep 4 already up?

I'm able to log in here with my cable username/password and watch episodes: http://watchdisneyxd.go.com/star-wars-rebels I don't know how often it updates though.

xraydog on
  • Options
    Ep4 spoilers:
    The inquisitor is badass, but that helicopter blade thingy he's got with his lightsaber is... eh....

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Ep4 spoilers:
    The inquisitor is badass, but that helicopter blade thingy he's got with his lightsaber is... eh....
    It does make me wish they'd stop trying to one up the bad guy lightsaber game. I mean, one saber, double saber, saber that curves slightly to the left, 4 armed robot using 4 sabers, saber chucks, spinny saber...
    Come on guys, it's a glowing laser/plasma sword that can cut through anything. Shouldn't that be cool enough? Spinny saber... Just looks goofy while it's spinning.

Still, other than that goofy, stupid modification to his saber, the Inquisitor came across as a real badass. I have to love it when the bad guys monologue while fighting.

see317 on
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm really enjoying Rebels so far. I like the balance they've struck between seriousness and humour. The interactions between the crew really remind me of Firefly in alot of ways.

So it's an Edge of the Empire/Age of Rebellion/Force & Destiny game run by someone with ALL THE BOOKS. Got it.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular

Fuck it, I'm sold. I'm gonna get in on this shit when I get back home.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    TOGSolid wrote: »

Fuck it, I'm sold. I'm gonna get in on this shit when I get back home.

Sadly, I really doubt will ever see Kyle Katarn again. Unless that Visceral Games Star Wars title is Jedi Knight reboot/sequel/whatever, which is unlikely. Possible, but unlikely.

• Options
    Hah, Dave Filoni worked Star Tours into Star Wars canon. Old WEG RPG stuff has been popping up constantly. Don't count out Katarn from showing up as a Rebel mercenary.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Hah, Dave Filoni worked Star Tours into Star Wars canon. Old WEG RPG stuff has been popping up constantly. Don't count out Katarn from showing up as a Rebel mercenary.

Nah, go farther back into Katarn's past. Make him a stormtrooper instead. Remember, he was a loyal Imperial until the Empire faked a Rebel attack on his homeworld and murdered his father in the process. It was Jan revealing the deception to him that caused Kyle to defect in the first place.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Episode 4 stuff
    I like how the Empire is using the dead Jedi Master to lure in Jedi who are alive. They basically have a prison to be an elaborate trap to kill Jedi. Considering how much the Emperor put into exterminating them by the time A New Hope rolls around there are like 5 left and most are in hiding or the outer rim. Nice to see them using that aspect.

I also like how he doesn't get all huffy he just gets down to the business of killing Jedi.

Also was that Senator Gall Trayvis suppose to allude to like Garm Bel Iblis?

Also I guess he is voiced by Brent Spiner. The more you know.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Two thoughts on Senator Gall Trayvis:
    1. He looks to me like he's supposed to be played by David Niven.
    2. Anyone else think he's part of the Imperial Intelligence apparatus, his "pirate broadcasts" staged as part of traps like this one?

• Options
    I wonder if Starkiller will make an appearance.

:biggrin:

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    I like how while Kanan is a legit jedi, and therefore badass, by Clone Wars standards he's kind of a small-timer. Like the show isn't trying to make us buy that he's actually this crazy super badass who we've never heard of before for some special reason. He's pretty much just your average working-joe jedi, his survival is more due to his small-fish status, being out in the boonies, and hiding his identity.

Also it makes me laugh that every time Ezra sees Sabine he tries to act cool, even when he's about to fall to his death. He can't even help it, it's like a spinal reflex.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular

Star Wars needs more Sam Witwer on the whole.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Is Rebels on Hulu or anything like that?

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Nightslyr wrote: »

Star Wars needs more Sam Witwer on the whole.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtxKO0KAIc0

That's Sam.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    (you realize, there's only one suitable button to click for that)

• Options
    @kana Kanan was still a low-level Padawan when Order 66 happened, so it should definitely be interesting to watch him train someone.

• Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »

I am not the biggest fan of the art style.

But so far the writing has been fun.

One thing though is it is in the OT era a bit before A New Hope. Which means the sound design is pretty much done and they are doing awesome with it.

I am not much of nerd with a lot of film/tv tech things but the sound design in the show especially with TIE Fighters really makes a lot of the show for me.

for me this might be the thing that wins me over, tbh
    there are very few sound effects in the world that get my heart more squee than TIE fighter noises

• Options
    Did someone say TIE Fighter noises?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGl6r5tQYPM

1. Someone played a lot of XvT. The cockpits. I know those cockpits.

2. Yay ties.

3. Ugh got the turbolaser sounds wrong.

http://youtu.be/AfyUqhFvN3M

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    I'm only in it for that *choom* *skreeeeeeeee*

the rest is just there

also the fact that @mazzyx went the extra mile to find the right turbolaser sfx is simultaneously rad as hell and nerdy as hell

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    That thing is obviously Imperial propaganda since Rebel fighters do not blow up that fast and no way in hell can a Tie Bomber fly that nimbly.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork