As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Telling my girlfriend about my (lack of) sexual history - advice?

schattenjaegerschattenjaeger Registered User regular
edited May 2014 in Help / Advice Forum
I met my current girlfriend at 28 and still a virgin. Shortly after meeting her, we had sex. At the time, it was an unexpected, casual thing so I figured it wasn't worth mentioning. Time's moved on, and it's six months later and we're very much in a happy relationship, and she still doesn't know.

This has been particularly bugging me as of late as I've had to be a little evasive in response to some questions and comments (just minor offhand things, nothing inappropriately prying). We haven't had any real discussion of our histories so it hasn't really come up (and I wouldn't, or couldn't, outright lie to her face), but regardless I've been willingly letting her think something that isn't true, which I feel bad about.

On reflection, I think I've been childishly self-conscious about this, I want her to know, and I think she'd want to know, so I have resolved to take the direct approach. Next time we have a quiet moment (which'll be tomorrow, FYI), I plan to tell her. I know I shouldn't make a big deal about it if I don't want it to be a big deal, so I had entertained the idea of just waiting until she asks a question that demanded it as an answer, but that seemed silly too.

Thoughts, anecdotes, comments?

schattenjaeger on

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    she either already knows because it was outwardly obvious, or she doesn't care

either way, there's no reason to bring it up

Jasconius on
  • Options
    Jasconius wrote: »
    she either already knows because it was outwardly obvious, or she doesn't care

either way, there's no reason to bring it up

(whoops, accidentally hailed hydra'd you! O_o)

Hah, well, I've got six busy months of perspective that make me think there was nothing particularly revealing about that first time. I know it wasn't her first time (now wouldn't that make for a good story!) and she was a little nervous too. I assume general sex-with-a-new-person nerves.

My problem with your (much appreciated!) advice is that if I don't bring it up, at some point it's going to come up on its own and I'm not going to lie, and if that's months down the line I just feel like that's going to be weirder. I know we're both entitled to privacy regarding our pasts, but this is something I want to get off my chest, and like I said, I think she'd want to know. Or maybe I shouldn't say "want" to know; put another way, I think she'd respond positively.

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Or, at this point it really doesn't matter, and just let her know.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Just tell her then. "Hey, don't feel like you need to reveal anything about your sexual past or anything, But I was a virgin before I met you, and I thought it'd be weird if you didn't know" If you don't think it will be a big deal to her, then, it shouldn't be a huge issue. I would be sure to mention that first part though, because you kinda want to surround this by the fact that you don't care that she wasn't.

• Options
    ThundyrkatzThundyrkatz Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    nm, i read this wrong.

Don't make it a big thing. your being a virgin is, at this point, was a good thing.

Thundyrkatz on
  • Options
    Were you exclusive with this girl when you had your encounter with the other woman?

Unless there is some significance to you still being a virgin to her. I cant imagine why telling her would benefit her, unless you were not safe and she could potentially be in danger of STD's

Don't do this because you want to get out from under some guilt you have under the presumption of total honesty.

Or at least be prepared that she may not be happy with this information and you have hurt her feelings just so you don't feel guilty anymore.

Sorry, I've edited my original post to make it more clear. She's the only girl I've had sex with.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    I don't see much in the way of positives of discussing that unless it comes up organically, personally. At best I would take that as some sort of needy/attachment driven revelation as much as an awkward confession, especially if it came up out of nowhere. At worst it might be taken as a rebuke of her sexuality, or as a stressor towards levels of commitment she might not be ready for.

Why do you feel the need to tell her?

• Options
    Enc wrote: »
    I don't see much in the way of positives of discussing that unless it comes up organically, personally. At best I would take that as some sort of needy/attachment driven revelation as much as an awkward confession, especially if it came up out of nowhere. At worst it might be taken as a rebuke of her sexuality, or as a stressor towards levels of commitment she might not be ready for.

I see myself putting it a lot like Iruka put it. It's getting weird. I feel like avoiding it "until it comes up organically" is almost gaming it a little. "Oh, you never asked!"

How is it getting weird? Well hell:
    "What positions do you like?"
    "Does blood bother you?" (fortunately for me, I correctly guessed it did not!)
    and so on, you can imagine.

Maybe some of those would have been what you consider it coming up organically? Although I'd imagine a sexually charged situation isn't the right time.

And sorry if I'm coming across as argumentative, obviously I had made up mind and then thought "ehhh better have my e-shrinks take a look at this."

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    How about something like this, "Hey [girlfriend's name], you rock my world. You're the only person to ever rock my world! Catch my drift, [girlfriend's name]?"

Please say this in an amusing fashion, perhaps over a board game or some such.

To me, this isn't a big deal, either the actual being a virgin or the being nervous about revealing it, unless you make it one. And it seems like you'd be making it a bigger deal the longer you wait, and as you've pointed out, the longer you allow the not-truth to be out there. Just lay it out there for her, I suspect she will either say that she knew all along and either didn't care or was pleased, or she will laugh it off and tell you to not worry about it. At which point you should discontinue worrying about this.

• Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular

I see myself putting it a lot like Iruka put it. It's getting weird. I feel like avoiding it "until it comes up organically" is almost gaming it a little. "Oh, you never asked!"

Maybe some of those would have been what you consider it coming up organically? Although I'd imagine a sexually charged situation isn't the right time.

And sorry if I'm coming across as argumentative, obviously I had made up mind and then thought "ehhh better have my e-shrinks take a look at this."

"I don't know" is a fair answer to those questions instead of making shit up.

Also, "what positions do you like" isn't really a static thing, at least for me...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    If it bothers you and you feel that this is something you need to get off your chest, just tell her. It's really not a big deal. There's a thousand worse things you could tell her.

Platy on
  • Options

"I don't know" is a fair answer to those questions instead of making shit up.

Also, "what positions do you like" isn't really a static thing, at least for me...

You're right, and that's what I've done (except the period sex, where I went with my gut!), and that's sorta been my mantra going forward: Technical honesty!

That's what davidsdurions has described better than I have as the not-truth I've just been leaving out there. I feel like keeping things to myself is what I'd do if I wanted to treat it as a big deal.

That said, I think now I won't just bring it up completely out of the blue and unprompted. With all my whining about having to be slightly disingenuous with my responses, it can't be too long until something comes up and I can start from there.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    I met my current girlfriend at 28 and still a virgin. Shortly after meeting her, we had sex. At the time, it was an unexpected, casual thing so I figured it wasn't worth mentioning. Time's moved on, and it's six months later and we're very much in a happy relationship, and she still doesn't know.

This has been particularly bugging me as of late as I've had to be a little evasive in response to some questions and comments (just minor offhand things, nothing inappropriately prying). We haven't had any real discussion of our histories so it hasn't really come up (and I wouldn't, or couldn't, outright lie to her face), but regardless I've been willingly letting her think something that isn't true, which I feel bad about.

On reflection, I think I've been childishly self-conscious about this, I want her to know, and I think she'd want to know, so I have resolved to take the direct approach. Next time we have a quiet moment (which'll be tomorrow, FYI), I plan to tell her. I know I shouldn't make a big deal about it if I don't want it to be a big deal, so I had entertained the idea of just waiting until she asks a question that demanded it as an answer, but that seemed silly too.

Since you've comprehensively answered your own question, I'll just add my own theory about how people who aren't mentally ill and ask for advice invariably know what they ought to do, they just want someone to tell them it's OK.

It's totally OK to tell her that she's the first person in the whole world you met who you thought was worth having sex with.

• Options
    GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    I think if it mattered to her, she would have asked about your past before 6 months in. So I don't think you have anything to lose, if it'll give you mental peace - go ahead and tell her.

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    I mean look, it's pretty much certain that she already knows anyway

• Options
    I don't think she'd be surprised , but it's not like I tried to poke her ear and lick her eye (or vice versa!) and then cried for 15 minutes!

Hell, six months later and I still suck at unclasping bras!

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Ha, sounds like me (didn't have a ton of experience). Now I have a wife who laughs at me. The main thing is to be open and honest about it, and don't make fun of anything they do in bed. They'll teach you what you need to know (every woman is different, as well), they may just be looking for the opening not to insult your "prowess".

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    I would tell her; IANAW, but I feel like I would be flattered if the fella I was with felt that it was the right time for the first time with me. /shrug. It doesn't have to be a serious conversation, and as has been said she probably has an inkling if she knows your relationship history.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    mosssnackmosssnack Yeah right, man, Bishop should go! Good idea!Registered User regular
    Yeah, don't need to make a huge deal out of it. Can find a natural way to bring it up during pillow talk or something.

Just maybe don't do it the way I did!

My girlfriend at the time, now wife didn't know during our first time. When we were done and laying there, I said "Hey, there's something I gotta tell you"

Heh, she immediately sat up and said, "WHAT?! WHAT IS IT?!" Obviously thinking I was about to tell her something awful. So I just said, "Oh, nothing like that. I'm a virgin is all. Or well, was a virgin." And then we laughed about it.

XBL: mosssnack12
    bnet: moss*1454
  • Options
    MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    V1m wrote: »

It's totally OK to tell her that she's the first person in the whole world you met who you thought was worth having sex with.

This is an excellent way of reframing the topic into a positive light and removing the stigma of virginity. Kudos.

Morblitz on
    3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    I don't think she'd be surprised , but it's not like I tried to poke her ear and lick her eye (or vice versa!) and then cried for 15 minutes!

Hell, six months later and I still suck at unclasping bras!

six months? that's seriously seriously a thing you should not worry about. bras have the most devious, complicated, physics-bending properties known to humankind. if Neil Degrasse Tyson dedicated a part of a Cosmos episode on the mysteries of the bra and why they don't follow the laws of thermodynamic conservation, i wouldn't bat an eye.

(that being said i agree with Iruka. no big thang on the virginity. wish i could tell my younger self this.)

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Girls cheat on the bras anyway. They slide those things around to put them on.

If you haven't mentioned your previous partners by now (even in passing), she knows you don't have any. People pick up on that. Obviously it isn't a deal-breaker.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    If you guys are in any kind of serious relationship whatsoever, it really shouldn't be a big deal.

If you tell her that she was your first and she balks and makes fun of you, then she doesn't seem like a friendly understanding partner.

• Options
    Yah, I'm sure it's clear to her this is my first major relationship, though I think she thinks I had prior experience for a few reasons I won't elaborate on here, but that doesn't really matter either way.

I couldn't work it in (harhar) yesterday ("oh you hurt your knee at yoga? That's fascinating, like the first time I had sex six months ago!"), so I'll just play it by ear this weekend, and if it comes up I'll let you all know how it goes.
    Ceno wrote: »
    If you guys are in any kind of serious relationship whatsoever, it really shouldn't be a big deal.

If you tell her that she was your first and she balks and makes fun of you, then she doesn't seem like a friendly understanding partner.

To be clear, I think she'll find it endearing. However, if it goes poorly and she turns heel, the point-and-laugh is easy to counter since she's had sex with me!

• Options
    Greggy88Greggy88 Registered User regular
    I promise it won't be a thing. Sounds like she'll find it charming.

This discussion has been closed.