As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Divinity: Original Sin - Isometric RPG with tactical turn based combat

Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
edited May 2014 in Games and Technology
Divinity: Original Sin looks great.

I dig RPGs like this and this one looks like it's shaping up to be something special.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HevrTza0Nxg

A successful Kickstarter later, the game is out June 24, 2014.

Up on Steam right now as Early Access, and purchasing now gets immediate access to the beta.

Oh, and the entire thing is co-op, too.

Here's some neat articles about it!

This is from an earlier build, well before that video was released.

And here's a solid interview with a dev.

I know Pillars of Eternity is getting all the turn based isometric RPG love, but this looks something that's deserving of some of that love, too.

Medium Dave on

• Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Played the early access and instantly fell in love with it. Stopped playing because I didn't want to spoil the game for myself.

But seriously: it's awesome, pretty and very deep.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    That is the reason I haven't played any yet. I don't want to spoil an RPG by playing through (potentially) broken quests and such.

I say, ironically, knowing how many hours I've spent in Skyrim.

• Options
    That is the reason I haven't played any yet. I don't want to spoil an RPG by playing through (potentially) broken quests and such.

I say, ironically, knowing how many hours I've spent in Skyrim.

I put about 2 hours in the early access, and by god I was impressed. The character creation alone was enough to get me hard, the combat mechanics and pretty engine was icing, man.

Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Yeah, I've been avoiding coverage for this until a release date.

Now I'm devouring everything I can find on it.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I admit to being interested. Divinity II and Dragon Commander showed that Larian have a weird sense of humour that I can enjoy, if nothing else. So I'll probably pick this up. It's shaping up to be a good year for PC RPGs.

I also found their Kickstarter to be pretty fascinating. Instead of the usual "This is what we're going to do; give us money to do it", Larian's was more "We are doing this; give us money to make it bigger and better". I wonder if other companies will decide to follow a similar route to potentially spruce up their games a bit more.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    The only game from this series I haven't played is Dragon Commander. I'm quite looking forward to this.

• Options
    I haven't played any of them.

Much shame, they've been on sale often.

• Options
    Divine Divinity and Beyond Divinity, what this new one will be closer to, were kind of Ultima meets Diablo? For their time, they weren't bad. Lots to fuck around with, lots of quests, plenty of monsters to slay, didn't take itself TOO seriously.

Divinity 2 is...well, the writing is fun. You can tell they like fantasy tropes but they also find some of them a bit silly. So some of the quests are kinda goofy and your dude is kind of a snarky dick and that part is fun. The gameplay kinda sucks, though. It's an action RPG and it plays terribly. I've been farting around with it recently, getting pumped for the new one and it sucks to actually play it. I haven't gotten to the point in the game where you get a base and other shit and I think I'm close to it, but boy is it a slog.

Which is part of the reason I'm quite excited for the new one, because it's back to turn based isometric and I think they work a lot better in that field.

And, as the RPS preview said, the game is more Monty Python than JRR Tolkein, and I'm ok with a bit of levity in my RPGs these days. Plus, you and your helper person are fantasy private investigators! That's neat.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    So it's more Torchlight than Baldur's Gate is what you're saying?

The feel of a dungeon crawler but with a bigger world and more elaborate quests/dialogue?

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    From my brief time with it, I'd say it far more BG than Torchlight. All combat is turn-based, and there's a lot of environmental interaction, even far beyond the kinds of just "click on thing to interact" that you get in most RPGs.

Unless you're talking about the prior Divinity games. Those are definitely more akin to Diablo.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    It's a shame they dropped the day/night cycle in favour of the world being more responsive to other systems. I like a good day/night cycle in my RPGs; it makes them feel like worlds rather than as staged setpieces. Very curious to find out to what extent this game will push the old Ultima VII buttons, though!

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

The feel of a dungeon crawler but with a bigger world and more elaborate quests/dialogue?

This is def not a dungeon crawler. It's got combat, dungeons and lewt...but it's got towns, and talky, and quests, and stuffs.

Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm installing the first one right now, (Divine Divinity, what a dumb name!) because I've got it on GoG, just to refresh my memory. Because I'm pretty sure combat was Diablo, except you could pause, but that was just to get your bearings. You still pretty much played it like Torchlight. But everything else was very Ultima VII/Baldur's Gate, with lots of cool little quests and NPC interactions and the ability to steal everything that was nailed down.

• Options
    So I spent a good portion of my morning playing Divine Divinity instead of working and yeah, it's Diablo/Torchlight lite combat with Ultima VII/Bladur's Gate style interactions.

If they can clean that up and modernize it, like it looks like they're doing, I'll be happy as hell.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

This is def not a dungeon crawler. It's got combat, dungeons and lewt...but it's got towns, and talky, and quests, and stuffs.

It's Ultima 4 / 5 / 6 really. I updated the other day and went back to it after just checking out the first release and I'm pretty happy with it. It's a really good time if you're patient, and into turn based combat. The interface was a little tweaky, but mostly I just bummed out that it didn't work so smoothly on the Surface Pro 2.

• Options
    Well, my buddy who was going to split the 2 copy version with me said "fuck it" and bought it today.

Oh, man. I wish I hadn't played the beta for about 45 minutes because the wait until the actual release date is going to be HARD.

It looks good, combat seems cool, magic is GREAT, controlling two characters is neat...man, it can't get here soon enough.

• Options
    OtakingOtaking Registered User regular
    Well, my buddy who was going to split the 2 copy version with me said "fuck it" and bought it today.

Oh, man. I wish I hadn't played the beta for about 45 minutes because the wait until the actual release date is going to be HARD.

It looks good, combat seems cool, magic is GREAT, controlling two characters is neat...man, it can't get here soon enough.

That's good to hear, I have been following this one too and don't want to spoil myself with the beta.

One thing I find with the smaller publishers is they lack enough music and atmospheric stuff, sounds, writing etc even though the mechanics may be great. How does it fare on those?

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Larian is known for their (often comedic bent) writing so I would not worry too much about that aspect. They're good world builders.

• Options
    Played a little more yesterday, did a little on-line co-op.

First of all, there's an MMO style chat thing up the whole time. You can turn it to local (your co-op buddy) otherwise, you can see people asking what to do on quests and stuff. It's weird.

Anyway, co-op runs fine. So, sometimes, like on this very early quest, you are given a choice. You don't pick red or blue and then get evil or good karma. No, you discuss with your co-op buddy or your other player character if it's single what you want to do. If you agree, you do that. If you disagree, you then have further options, to Charm, Intimidate or Reason with them. If THAT fails...then you play paper scissor rock to see who's answer is the one to use. It's kinda cool.

There's not really any voice stuff in the game, so far, except for an opening movie. I don't know if they're gonna add that, they really should, if only for the two leads. The sound design is good and music is nice and the graphics and art style are really very good.

It definitely feels well made and a living world and game, but not entirely a AAA budget title. But since they're listing it at $40, that, so far, seems damn near perfect.

• Options
    Oh, woe! Game delayed to June 30.

But them saying they want to add some (more?) voices? That's good. It's not terrible without them, but it'll really add some life.

Also! They just added AI personalities to you AI partner, which is pretty cool. You can tweak it to your play style, or to be completely opposite to your play style, so you'll be squabbling the whole time.

This is the announced game I'm most looking forward to this year. Well, until Fallout 4 gets announced at E3...

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    I haven't played enough to see more than the first hour or so...do you ever get more characters, or is it just the two you make at the beginning?

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    It's just the two characters.

• Options
    RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    I haven't played this but I heard there were 4? You start with the two at the beginning (or you and your partner control 1) and later you each get a buddy. That is why the lone wolf perk removes the option for a buddy but increases the main character's stats.

• Options
    JorilJoril BelgiumRegistered User regular
    You start out with 2 main protagonists, the Source Hunters, and a bit later you'll be able recruit companions (with a some story) and henchmen (basically mercenaries).

bonesnacksig.jpg
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Booo this was my June game. Oh well July is really empty so I guess it's my July game now.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Huh, that's cool. I thought it was just two characters at least for this campaign to focus on the co-op gameplay.

• Options
    IndoorsmanIndoorsman Registered User regular
    Went ahead and bought it. The final version will be out at the end of the month - supposedly - but I love these types of games and I was eager to poke around.

Quite cool so far - very deep and combat is a lot of fun. One problem - the game really seemed to send my laptop's fan into overdrive. Maybe I need to turn some setting down...

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I'm looking forward to this but wary of overinflated expectations. I loved Ultima VII when it came out, and this has been compared to it fairly often. Thing is, I don't know whether I'd still enjoy U7 - I'm 20 years older than I was back then and my tastes are likely to have changed somewhat - and who knows if it's good at doing the things that I personally enjoyed U7 for, which may be different for another person?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Indoorsman wrote: »
    Went ahead and bought it. The final version will be out at the end of the month - supposedly - but I love these types of games and I was eager to poke around.

Quite cool so far - very deep and combat is a lot of fun. One problem - the game really seemed to send my laptop's fan into overdrive. Maybe I need to turn some setting down...

If your fan goes into overdrive you should make sure that the game is limiting itself to a reasonable number of fps, or that you aren't pushing your GPU too hard. Things to try:

1. Ensure you laptop is clean. Dust buildup inside makes your gpu unable to vent heat effectively.
    2. Run a program to show you your fps. Use another to limit it to something reasonable, or enable vsync to limit it to your screen's refresh rate. Fraps is good for showing your fps, and Nvidia inspector is good forcing your Nvidia card to limit the fps.
    3. Lower your graphic settings. SSAO, AA, maybe even your resolution. Check which gives you the greater results. I can't remember the game's options screen exactly.

Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    IndoorsmanIndoorsman Registered User regular
    Just did an overall shift from 'high' to 'medium' and that quieted things down and I barely noticed a difference. ty.

• Options
    Hmmm this on sale for 20% off!

• Options
    And it's worth it!

Probably. Unless the last half of the game is utter, unfinished garbage, it's gonna be totally great.

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    I picked it up. Only played an hour or so, not even at the first town yet. It seems pretty great, and I like that it's for real turn-based instead of the Baldur's Gate "technically turn based but not really" type. My biggest problem so far is the camera is a bit wonky, and the movement speed could be faster, but those are fairly minor complaints.

Any tips/things I should know going in? Running with a Rogue and Wizard not sure how great an idea that is.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Anyone who buys it, just be aware that early access save games will not be compatible with the release version come the 30th.

• Options
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Anyone who buys it, just be aware that early access save games will not be compatible with the release version come the 30th.

I don't really know how this Early Access stuff works. But if I buy Original Sin now during the sale, will I get the full version when that's released?

• Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    If you buy it now, you'll have the full version. The "release version" will just be a patch for you.

So yes.

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    I don't think I'm going to play this until the official release, but I did look around a bit to see if it, you know, worked.

I am going to get so lost during character creation. I don't like using premade characters if I don't have to, but it feels like it'll take a while before I understand this system.

Also, nice that you're not restricted to one dude and one gal if you don't want to be.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    I bought it yesterday and played to a little bit into the first town! PROTIP: YOU CAN WEAR A BUCKET AS A HEAD PIECE!

Anyways, it looks really good (including the gameplay) and I see a lot of potential for it. It would be nice to know more about the little lings you'll be able to pick up so I can plan the two classes around that! Tried cleric + magewarrior and I'm not sure I like the combination of two melee... Range seems like it may be very useful regarding environment interaction.

Retaba on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

Which seems like a very odd decision. You only have 25% of the final release content in the beta anyway. This decision just sort of makes me not want to play it very much before the 30th, which is a shame.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    I like that this seems to take an Ultima approach to stealing. As long as nobody sees you, you can go wild. Also adds a neat layer to the two main characters mechanic. Have one of them talk to a guy and distract him while you switch to the other character and rob them blind.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970