As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Divinity: Original Sin - Isometric RPG with tactical turn based combat

• Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    I've put about 25 hours into this game and, while I love the combat, the knowledge that I'm maybe a quarter into the game kind of makes me not want to continue. Ten years ago, I might have, but I just don't have any interest in spending 100 hours on a single playthrough of any game these days.

I don't think there's any shame in not finishing a game, but don't get discouraged just because you won't finish. Play until you're not having fun anymore or want to play something else more, than move on :)

It's kind of funny. I feel like most complaints about game length these days tend to be that they're too short or that devs try to extend the life through multiplayer. It's not very often you get to complain about a game being too long.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular
    I've put about 25 hours into this game and, while I love the combat, the knowledge that I'm maybe a quarter into the game kind of makes me not want to continue. Ten years ago, I might have, but I just don't have any interest in spending 100 hours on a single playthrough of any game these days.

I don't think there's any shame in not finishing a game, but don't get discouraged just because you won't finish. Play until you're not having fun anymore or want to play something else more, than move on :)

I agree very much with this. There are a lot of games I've never finished because they are just too long for my attention, but I still thoroughly enjoy them up until that point. As long as you are enjoying your time, no real need to force yourself to finish a game. I did that with FFX... regret that.

• Options
    spamfilterspamfilter Registered User regular
    This game is perfect for short game sessions that you can spread out over many days. Just take your time.

• Options
    SanguineAngelSanguineAngel Lord Centre of the UniverseRegistered User regular
    I'm pleased to have a game that's going to take me a while to get through. I don't get a lot of game time these days compared to my youth but I do enjoy having something lasting that I can keep coming back to. I've got no problem with an 80 - 100 hour game. I look forward to playing this game over the coming months!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    spamfilter wrote: »
    This game is perfect for short game sessions that you can spread out over many days. Just take your time.

This is a truism for many games for me. Don't burn through it just you know take your time. I've stopped on Divinity cos ugh too long. I've played my fill of the game

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    So what does invisibility actually do in combat? Because it doesn't seem to do what I would assume it does.

• Options
    Botznoy wrote: »
    spamfilter wrote: »

This is a truism for many games for me. Don't burn through it just you know take your time. I've stopped on Divinity cos ugh too long. I've played my fill of the game

Definitely. I'm sure I'll go back to it. Hopefully before I forget everything going on. =P I'm also going to hope that there are some player made modules that are moderately good and maybe like 5-8 hour type of things.

So what does invisibility actually do in combat? Because it doesn't seem to do what I would assume it does.

What do you assume it does? It should make it so the enemies can't see and hence won't (typically) target you. I've never been on the receiving end of a melee or direct ranged attack when I pop invisibility. You may still be hit by AoEs, though.

• Options
    am0n wrote: »

What do you assume it does? It should make it so the enemies can't see and hence won't (typically) target you. I've never been on the receiving end of a melee or direct ranged attack when I pop invisibility. You may still be hit by AoEs, though.

I assumed it meant I couldn't be seen. Then I had two fights in a row where we entered combat, I hit invis, moved my rogue into position and then the very next turn had the enemy Mage shooting lightning directly at him. It was a little discouraging - basically, invis seemed to have little to no impact on whether my rogue was seen or targeted.

• Options
    Not sure. I know I've never been the target of a direct attack, and if the enemy is invisible (either spell or due to a cloud) I can't actually target them with a direct attack. However, if it's something that you can target the ground with, they can still shoot at you through the invis/cloud, which is what might have happened with the lightning.

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular

I assumed it meant I couldn't be seen. Then I had two fights in a row where we entered combat, I hit invis, moved my rogue into position and then the very next turn had the enemy Mage shooting lightning directly at him. It was a little discouraging - basically, invis seemed to have little to no impact on whether my rogue was seen or targeted.

Are you using Invisibility (either from a potion or a spell), or are you using Stealth?

Stealth breaks when you move into an enemy's line of sight. Invisibility doesn't.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    Derrick wrote: »

Are you using Invisibility (either from a potion or a spell), or are you using Stealth?

Stealth breaks when you move into an enemy's line of sight. Invisibility doesn't.

Using http://divinity.wikia.com/wiki/Walk_in_Shadows.

• Options
    Jedi_BoiJedi_Boi Registered User regular
    OK this is incredibly silly of me.
    I've trashed Evelynn's lab, and now I'm after the White Witch. After clearing the lab I came back to Cyseal to finish up some side quests. I'm ready to head North, but for some reason I can't find the right way to go. It's frustrating because I obviously walked along that path already to make it to Ev's lab. I also missed the North Waypoint so I can't just fast travel.

Maybe you can tell, this game to me has a pretty big learning curve. But I'm loving it. Just need to figure out where I'm going.

i.imgur.com/DG7Jj7H.jpg
    Godspeed, Ironsides.
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Jedi_Boi wrote: »
    OK this is incredibly silly of me.
    I've trashed Evelynn's lab, and now I'm after the White Witch. After clearing the lab I came back to Cyseal to finish up some side quests. I'm ready to head North, but for some reason I can't find the right way to go. It's frustrating because I obviously walked along that path already to make it to Ev's lab. I also missed the North Waypoint so I can't just fast travel.

Maybe you can tell, this game to me has a pretty big learning curve. But I'm loving it. Just need to figure out where I'm going.
    The path to the next area isn't near the lab, if that helps. Don't know how in depth you want an answer/hint to be

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I can't even find the path back to the beach where the lab is. I think I'll be OK if I can just find me way there

Jedi_Boi on
    i.imgur.com/DG7Jj7H.jpg
    Godspeed, Ironsides.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    The path is hidden in a cave. Like, you enter the cave and that leads to an exit that leads to the beach.

Not my map, but I circled in blue roughly where the cave is:

4keijp.png

Edit: Or, if you got the waypoint, I think it's the Talking Stones waypoint or something.

am0n on
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I can't even find the path back to the beach where the lab is. I think I'll be OK if I can just find me way there

This may be a spoiler. At least where I am in the story the location hasn't come up.

Grundlestiltskin on
  • Options

This may be a spoiler. At least where I am in the story the location hasn't come up.

Edited.

Also, thanks for the help all.

i.imgur.com/DG7Jj7H.jpg
    Godspeed, Ironsides.
  • Options
    So the rock paper scissors for resolving disputes is interesting in theory, but it leads to some...problems?
    I was doing the quest where the elf guy wants to kill Victoria in Cyseal. I went to Victoria and tried talking her into giving me the amulet as proof of death, but lost the minigame. I then agreed to have him arrested, but when I went to do so my other party member disagreed with me and I lost that round as well. So basically, I can't get Victoria to give me the amulet and I can't have the other guy arrested. So my only option to move this quest forward would be...to kill Victoria I guess? Which kinda sucks from the standpoint of not actually being able to choose how I want to handle this anymore if I actually want to complete the quest.

I guess my only option to avoid these situations is to control the party member who seems to want to disagree with everything by default?

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    So the rock paper scissors for resolving disputes is interesting in theory, but it leads to some...problems?
    I was doing the quest where the elf guy wants to kill Victoria in Cyseal. I went to Victoria and tried talking her into giving me the amulet as proof of death, but lost the minigame. I then agreed to have him arrested, but when I went to do so my other party member disagreed with me and I lost that round as well. So basically, I can't get Victoria to give me the amulet and I can't have the other guy arrested. So my only option to move this quest forward would be...to kill Victoria I guess? Which kinda sucks from the standpoint of not actually being able to choose how I want to handle this anymore if I actually want to complete the quest.

I guess my only option to avoid these situations is to control the party member who seems to want to disagree with everything by default?
    You can pickpocket the amulet.

• Options

F5 + F8. You can auto save mid conversation, too, so if it's a multi-mini-game conversation you can save after each step of the way once you get the result you actually want.

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Cabezone wrote: »

You can pickpocket the amulet.
    Also, you can tell the mayor that someone wants you to kill Victoria and he'll give you permission to kill the dude that wants her dead.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    Picked this up last night. Man, this game just feels right to me. Just in the first two hours, so many things they are doing I'm like.......why didn't other RPG's think of that. Or any RPG I've played I guess. But the roleplaying of your party talking to eachother was amazing. The breaking the group could be interesting. Rock Paper Scissors.

I know people have been negatively saying there are no quest markers, and I can see that getting old, but right now its kind of fun. I couldn't find the Legionaire HQ, but I did hear a drill seargent. So I went towards him, and no HQ, but he yelled at his troops they suck and go back to their bunks and I followed them to the HQ. Little things like that have been amazing!

Also, the combat is very well done!

• Options
    I wish the combat was a little more precise/responsive. Two things that are driving me nuts - the fact that people get locked into animations and you can either hit spacebar too early or by accident, and the ease with which you can accidentally click to move instead of attacking something.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    you can either hit spacebar too early or by accident, and the ease with which you can accidentally click to move instead of attacking something

Yup, I had a lot of trouble with this too, particularly when I was trying to line up an AOE just right only to click "Move Here" by mistake and send my Mage wandering over into the middle of the enemy's ranks. Eventually, I learned to save at the beginning of every combat turn just in case of such an accident.

Fairchild on
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    I wish the combat was a little more precise/responsive. Two things that are driving me nuts - the fact that people get locked into animations and you can either hit spacebar too early or by accident, and the ease with which you can accidentally click to move instead of attacking something.

I wish there was more of a lock-on when you are targeting enemies or even a specific key for cycle through foes. It is way too easy to misclick and fuck up an entire battle as your mage decides to walk up to a group of heavies.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    I only had two toons die in my entire game of DOS, both to those
    burrowing, poison-spitting spiders.
    I hate those guys.

• Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular

I wish there was more of a lock-on when you are targeting enemies or even a specific key for cycle through foes. It is way too easy to misclick and fuck up an entire battle as your mage decides to walk up to a group of heavies.

If the targetting looks kinda iffy to me, I tend to switch to the overhead view by pressing "B" - that usually makes it a lot easier to hit whatever you are aiming at. I do agree that trying to click on an enemy cycling through its idle animations is sometimes a total PITA.

• Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    Man, when this game clicks, it clicks. Its a different mind set then what most typical RPGs suggest you do. I normally say, I'm going to do this quest. Where this game is more, I'm going to explore over there and what ever quests I happen to cross, so be it.

I'm really enjoying combat and having a lot of fun. The plot is ok, but I am enjoying the characters. Even most of the NPCs have their own specific attitude.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    In case you were wondering why the game is now fucked up..the latest patch broke a lot of stuff.

EDIT: for instance. I didn't up my fighters constitution, I specifically picked him out all con gear. On a reload, you lose those extra hitpoints and have to heal the person to full.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    So I need to know a few things if I'm going to bother to continue playing this game. Are there towns past Cyseal? Do the quests ever become more than boring fetch quests like the murder one I've been doing for 30 minutes? I also absolutely hate how I have to consult YouTube to know what the fuck to do since this game gives no direction at all and expects you to have some kind of intimate knowledge of the gameworld. It just all feels too overwhelming for a more casual gamer like myself, but if it gets better later I'll put an effort into finishing this part of the game. I don't even know what the plot is outside of "generic fantasy things".

All of this probably wouldn't be as hard to tolerate if it weren't such a clunky game - moving from place to place takes way too long.

Bubby on
  • Options
    Going to say I disagree with pretty much everything you said, but the short answer is that if you don't like the fact that the game forces you to explore and figure out everything on your own, it doesn't change as the game progresses. That's actually one of the beauties of the system, in that there is no set path you have to follow (generally) to complete things and if you stumble across a detail early you can essentially bypass a lot of other things to complete the task.

• Options
    Bubby wrote: »
    So I need to know a few things if I'm going to bother to continue playing this game. Are there towns past Cyseal? Do the quests ever become more than boring fetch quests like the murder one I've been doing for 30 minutes? I also absolutely hate how I have to consult YouTube to know what the fuck to do since this game gives no direction at all and expects you to have some kind of intimate knowledge of the gameworld. It just all feels too overwhelming for a more casual gamer like myself, but if it gets better later I'll put an effort into finishing this part of the game. I don't even know what the plot is outside of "generic fantasy things".

All of this probably wouldn't be as hard to tolerate if it weren't such a clunky game - moving from place to place takes way too long.

You're going to love spending hours looking for buttons then trying to figure out the correct order to press them in.

• Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular

I doesn't get any better.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    I'm loving the game, but the openness has been bugging me. It's awesome that the map is so open, but I'm constantly discovering the end of quests before the middle, so the whole narrative is a big jumbled mess. I received a quest to go to the second map, but decided to finish the first one, and wound up with information that completely changed the context for map two. Which is fine, except I then played out map two as if I'd never learned that information. Then apparently did map two completely backwards because I missed a perception check looking for a key, and I'm on map four with no idea if I resolved map two and certain I missed things on map three.
    I wish there were some information gating, like you can find a location and get clues, but the bads don't show up until you know why you need them dead.

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular

You're going to love spending hours looking for buttons then trying to figure out the correct order to press them in.

Well I guess I'm tapping out, I appreciate that a lot of people love the openness and such but I need my games to help me out a little. I feel like I'm wasting my time if I have to fiddle around for ages to get things moving - a little bit is expected but this just feels like getting thrown into a swamp. If it were linear, no hand holding would be fine, but the combo of a totally non linear world and no help outside of journal entries is too much for my casual sensibilities.

• Options
    JormungandrJormungandr Registered User regular

Well I guess I'm tapping out, I appreciate that a lot of people love the openness and such but I need my games to help me out a little. I feel like I'm wasting my time if I have to fiddle around for ages to get things moving - a little bit is expected but this just feels like getting thrown into a swamp. If it were linear, no hand holding would be fine, but the combo of a totally non linear world and no help outside of journal entries is too much for my casual sensibilities.

That's fair. This game has opportunities for exploration/discovery and requires actually reading quest text / conversations / journal entries / etc to get the most out of the story. (And in some cases to progress at all) Modern RPGs have moved away from that style for the most part, so it's an outlier. It absolutely has the downside of having less direction/handholding (not intended to be a derogatory term -- just can't think of a better name for it). Which means more opportunities for frustration/confusion. I love this game, but it's not for everyone.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Honestly, I'm not sure why anyone would quit a game like this if they are stumped on a puzzle or a path. Just go on the Internet and find a clue, then proceed.

Modern game design pretty much eliminated the need for hints. But younger gamers picking up retro games should realize that there was a whole ecosystem of magazine, message board and even phone hint lines to help people when they got stuck. It's just part of the process of playing games where there are complex puzzles - sometimes you are just not going to be able to read the designers minds and that's okay.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Also friends, @Phillishere‌. A huge part of gaming when I was a kid was sitting around the lunch room talking about X-COM strategies, how to beat a Final Fantasy boss, or making plans to get together on someone's couch to work through the next temple in the latest Zelda game together, because one 12 year old wasn't enough brain power to do it.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    Having to hunt around for switches and levers is bad design. It's not fun, it's just tedious.

• Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Having to hunt around for switches and levers is bad design. It's not fun, it's just tedious.

I love this game but I still agree with this. The few places where you have to pixel-hunt for buttons or turn on candles or coal braziers all kinda sucked IMO - there's so many candles and braziers all over the place that my brain just doesn't process them at all, they are just part of the background so I end up running around trying to find a solution right past them.