As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Divinity: Original Sin - Isometric RPG with tactical turn based combat

• Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Was the Enhanced Edition released yet?

Not yet. It should appear as a separate entry in Steam once it does.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Couldn't get into it on the PC. Couch play on the PS4 will be a great filler for before Fallout 4 comes out (if this actually comes out in October as mentioned).

I hope it's 60FPS though.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    I can't wait for this to come out on PS4. The Dragon Knight Saga was one of my most pleasant surprises in gaming.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    BlainBlain Registered User regular
    There was talk about the Kickstarting of the sequel in the steam thread. That didn't feel like the right place for it, and I want to work through my own thoughts on this. Feel free to disregard.

I'm curious about what Larian is trying to accomplish with their Kickstarter. According to SteamSpy over 800k people own it on Steam. Games are super expensive, so I'm sure they could find a use for more money than that generated. The weird bit to me is that according to steamdb.info the game has never gone on sale for more than 40% off. My understanding is there's huge money in the deep discount sales when you move tons of units and get a follow on wave of full price sales from the word of mouth that generates. Why is Larian going to crowd funding with likely millions of dollars left on the table?

According to Mirkel they're doing it because the feedback was valuable, but they don't need Kickstarter to do early access. So that doesn't explain it.

The blog article makes it sound like they're coming back to Kickstarter because after people pre-order DOS2 (which KS gets a cut of) they'll browse around and spend some more money. KS helped us, so we're helping KS. This at least offers an explanation that makes sense.

They probably should have sent press releases to that effect when the DOS2 KS was announced. Oh well. Carry on.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Kickstarter for D:OS 2 has launched and has already blazed past it's half a million dollar goal. SP or 4 player MP, coop or competitive (and can switch between the two on the fly.)

There's a bunch of press coverage out, like RPS:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/08/26/divinity-original-sin-2/

Ooh, dead NPCs leave ghosts who can be talked to with the right skill. Neat.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    In case it's relevant to anyone: I asked them if the day/night cycle that was originally planned and then dropped for the first game would be a part of this, and they said no.

I'm happy for them to have been so successful, and I wish them only the best for the sequel, but I'm unlikely to pledge to this. While there was a lot about the game to admire, I disliked much of the writing and found the world boring. If they were to create a more coherent, living world for this one - something more akin to the Ultima VII that kept being mentioned in previews - I'd probably reconsider.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I just lost interest after wandering a bit trying to solve that stupid murder. I even talked to Not-Spekkio. And I'm totally engrossed playing old shit like Might & Magic 3 and 6.
    I don't get starting an old-school-type RPG with a boring murder mystery that's totally vague.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    And I had more fun with Original Sin than with Pillars of Eternity, even though the plot of OS is nonsensical - the graphics, fights and magic won me over anyway.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    I just lost interest after wandering a bit trying to solve that stupid murder. I even talked to Not-Spekkio. And I'm totally engrossed playing old shit like Might & Magic 3 and 6.
    I don't get starting an old-school-type RPG with a boring murder mystery that's totally vague.

That stupid murder mystery keeps stopping me in Divinity, too. One of these days, I need to grab a walkthrough and just blast through the stupid thing so the game can move on to something that's actually interesting.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    I adored Divinity OS 1, although I can see why other people might not have been so enamored. Everything about the gameplay and the look/feel and the balance of old school mechanics with well chosen modernizations clicked for me. I played the whole 95 hour campaign, and loved it (although it did certainly drag after a while and the story was cookie cutter RPG gibberish.)

My wish for Divinity OS 2 will never come true, though. I want the main campaign to be half as long. They should give reasons for multiple playthroughs for people who want to play it forever (basically the Borderlands model.) Unfortunatley, Kickstarter campaigns often revolve around additional content as stretch goals. So, if anything, this one's likely to be longer.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    I mean, I don't even know if I like the gameplay, after hours of play I barely had any experience with it. I know that game is good, but can't understand why the start the game in such a stupid way.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    Kickstarter for D:OS 2 has launched and has already blazed past it's half a million dollar goal. SP or 4 player MP, coop or competitive (and can switch between the two on the fly.)

I've seen that last one in an RPG before. Ultima maybe? There was also a quirky indie Western released pretty recently that used it.

It's a cool compromise between unkillable characters and having the freedom to massacre a town.

• Options

I didn't have that much trouble getting past the murder mystery plot, but I also didn't really get what was going on as much as I was just able to do the right thing to get past it. I'm curious about the update they are releasing, since expanding and strengthening the story is a big part of it.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    I mean, I don't even know if I like the gameplay, after hours of play I barely had any experience with it. I know that game is good, but can't understand why the start the game in such a stupid way.

All of the Divinity games feel like there is this big dumb wall you have to climb before you can play with the fun stuff.

• Options

I've seen that last one in an RPG before. Ultima maybe? There was also a quirky indie Western released pretty recently that used it.

It's a cool compromise between unkillable characters and having the freedom to massacre a town.

Ultima VII certainly had a whole island full of dead NPCs you need to use Seance to talk to.
    Fuck, UVII was the best game ever. Not just because of the bread thing.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options

Ultima VII certainly had a whole island full of dead NPCs you need to use Seance to talk to.

I would love a modern, good Ultima. Unlike the Infinity Engine games, I find old Ultimas impossible to get into nowadays, mostly because of the interface.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I thought the story, characters, and world were boring and that the writing wasn't great either. It needed an Icewind Dale 2 flair. The graphics were nice but I really didn't like how it felt melee characters were underpowered compared to ranged ones. I got past the murder mystery but just gave up.

• Options
    Ultima VII had ONE big huge glaring flaw. The real time combat was fucking trash, and it aged really badly. It's a testament to how amazingly outstanding everything else is to make people forget about the horrible combat.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Stretch goals are up. So far:

9WIZyFC.jpg

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular

I would love a modern, good Ultima. Unlike the Infinity Engine games, I find old Ultimas impossible to get into nowadays, mostly because of the interface.

I always liked how in Ultima the way you obtained your class was through a little quiz where you had to prioritize certain virtues over others.

It would be interesting to see a modern version of that, where you create your character's build by assigning him high values in certain virtues and low values in others.

• Options
    This sounds like it was a grueling press tour for D:OS 2:

https://youtu.be/fnPtq1U4K0Y

I'm jealous of those of you who are going to get to swing by Larian's booth this weekend at PAX. :)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular

I always liked how in Ultima the way you obtained your class was through a little quiz where you had to prioritize certain virtues over others.

It would be interesting to see a modern version of that, where you create your character's build by assigning him high values in certain virtues and low values in others.

The Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games have a little quiz that determines your personality, which determines your starter pokemon. That's kinda similar.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Great Kickstarter update out on some of the enhanced edition changes:

http://youtu.be/tEn0B31burc

I am blown away by how much of an overhaul this seems to be and the fact that they are giving this to existing PC owners for free. Take notes, From Software.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    This game plays like oldschool Baldur's Gate and stuff, right? It looks pretty cool, and I'm thinking about picking it up on PS4 since it's hitting consoles soon.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    This game plays like oldschool Baldur's Gate and stuff, right? It looks pretty cool, and I'm thinking about picking it up on PS4 since it's hitting consoles soon.

No, it's completely turn based. Not paused real time.

• Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    Cant wait to get my paws on the enhanced edition, especially now that I can dual wield my wands, Hurt and Burn

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Holy damn! So it's kinda like XCOM and Wasteland? That's even better.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options

Wasteland is a good comparison. You roam around the world as a party, then drop into turn-based combat when near enemies.

OG Divinity's biggest strength was its combat. The way the environmental effects interact with enemies, the environment and each other gives the game a unique feel. It's just so well done.

• Options
    Great Kickstarter update out on some of the enhanced edition changes:

http://youtu.be/tEn0B31burc

I am blown away by how much of an overhaul this seems to be and the fact that they are giving this to existing PC owners for free. Take notes, From Software.

Wow. You weren't kidding. That's a TON of changes - wholesale skilltree revisions, balancing, new and better crafting, dual wielding, all dialogue voiced, dialogue rewritten, enemy AI and skills improved, added difficulty modes, enhanced graphics, better performance, and on and on and on.

Holy cow!

I should have waited to play the game. As much as I loved my 95 hour playthrough, I don't think I have another one in me.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular

The combat in this is far more interesting than Wasteland.

• Options
    Every time I watch one of the Divinity: Original Sin Kickstarter updates, I get kinda sad. I love Sven's enthusiasm and it's clear they're doing this out of passion for their game, but D: OS failed to click with me almost entirely. I didn't mind playing the game, but neither did I enjoy it much.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Preordered on PSN last night, pretty excited! Seems like a massive, fun RPG. Sounds like there's no classes either? You just build your character however you want? So like, I could have a Mage-Rogue or a Ranger... uh, Cleric? I appear to have no imagination beyond Mage-Rogue.

• Options
    Preordered on PSN last night, pretty excited! Seems like a massive, fun RPG. Sounds like there's no classes either? You just build your character however you want? So like, I could have a Mage-Rogue or a Ranger... uh, Cleric? I appear to have no imagination beyond Mage-Rogue.

Characters, you control two at a time.

• Options
    Two Mage-Rogues it is!

• Options
    Two Mage-Rogues it is!

Make one a Rogue-Mage for flavor.

Do we know exactly how the online for this works? Is it one person takes over one of my two characters or is it they choose one of their characters to bring into my game or what? Can we start together and the other person actually makes their character?

• Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Two Mage-Rogues it is!

Make one a Rogue-Mage for flavor.

Do we know exactly how the online for this works? Is it one person takes over one of my two characters or is it they choose one of their characters to bring into my game or what? Can we start together and the other person actually makes their character?

Assuming it hasn't been changed from the basic version, it is one person hosts and is the only one able to save the game, the other player can pop in at any time and the host can choose which characters he gives to the visitor to control. If the visitor enters the game when the host is generating characters, the visitor can make one of them and the host makes the other. Even if that's how you start, the game is only on the host's HD and he is the only one who can save and load it and also the only one who can play that save game alone controlling everything if he so wishes. Worked very well for me and my buddy, one of the better co-op experiences I've had ever for sure.

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Thirith wrote: »
    Every time I watch one of the Divinity: Original Sin Kickstarter updates, I get kinda sad. I love Sven's enthusiasm and it's clear they're doing this out of passion for their game, but D: OS failed to click with me almost entirely. I didn't mind playing the game, but neither did I enjoy it much.
    I feel the same way.

The mechanics and gameplay were neat, but the story never grabbed my attention.

Can anyone tell me whether or not the story improves? Is it just a case of a really bad starting zone?

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    I don't think it does; frankly, I don't remember a single character or major story point from the game.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    Thirith wrote: »
    I feel the same way.

The mechanics and gameplay were neat, but the story never grabbed my attention.

Can anyone tell me whether or not the story improves? Is it just a case of a really bad starting zone?

The story is unremarkable throughout. I loved it for the gameplay, the art style and the old school feel w/ good decisions about modern UI niceties. None of the characters was truly memorable and the plot never really caught my interest.

They claim to have improved the writing and changed the ending of the new, enhanced version. So if you own the game already, it might be worth another crack at it to see if they made things better for you.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.