As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Kerbal Space Program] Shiny new thread! Desperately seeking pictures of rockets

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Dammit, managing mods is such a chore. Just spent 2+ hours uninstalling & reinstalling, loading and testing both 32 & 64-bit .exes and have come to the conclusions that

1. 64-bit is kind of fucked up
    2. SCANSat conflicts with the new KW Rocketry (and of course MOAR BOOSTERS > pretty maps)
    3. I really, REALLY want to try out MKS and build a self sufficient base on the Mun, but something in there turns the Launch button into "my god it's full of stars"

Yeah, I can't even get the 64 bit version to start properly. It keeps complaining about the KSP_Data folder

You need to rename the KSP_Data folder to the x64 version if you are going to rename the x64 executable.

• Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    @Dac wasn't it you who recommended Dmagic's Orbital Science's mod? It is indeed fantastic but you also had some other neat-o parts mods that I can't remember. I remember some fancy solar panels or some such. Any idea what I'm talking about?

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    I don't believe that was me, no. Never used that, myself!

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    I asked on the last page but didn't get an answer, so:

Whats up with maps, and mapping? Is this a function of some mod, like Kethane? Because that is a an important function of space probes and I'd like to know more about it.

In the meantime, I did my first Munar flyby in the new version using a free return orbit.

Bill was really, really hoping it really was free.

ztEyFbM.png

mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    Oh god these 5-meter KW rockets are so great. They take time to spool up and the sound effects are goddamn incredible.

I threw two of the big 5m fuel tanks on top of the most powerful engine, copied it radially 6 times, asparagus staged it, slapped a little upper stage on top for circularization, and it just deadlifted 695 tons into an 80km orbit with 10 m/s to spare.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    pics or it never happened

edit: (novapunch has had 5m parts for aaaaages) I'm guessing these are just as hilariously overpowered

Shogun on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Yes, mapping is a function of mods. The most commonly used one now is SCAN Sat - see link on previous page.

Universe Replacer still works, but most efforts seem to have moved to Texture Replacer, which covers that and a whole lot more.

• Options
    On the pad. Payload is 14x KW 2.5m orange tanks & 6x 2.5m half tanks.

BjbuSuHl.png

Up in spaaaaaace, with enough dv to circularize but not enough reaction wheels to turn this heap. Next time, bring batteries.

brp5A3zl.png

full album: http://imgur.com/a/J44zf#0

• Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    Yes, mapping is a function of mods. The most commonly used one now is SCAN Sat - see link on previous page.

Universe Replacer still works, but most efforts seem to have moved to Texture Replacer, which covers that and a whole lot more.

Link on previous page where my request was directly responded to.

Thanks to both. I sure do love maps.

mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    I'm kinda glad mechjeb is always a bit slow to update.

I come back to the game after a few months because of the new patch, and no fancy autopilot or data windows for me to lean on like a crutch, just doing my interplanetary transfers the old way like a caveman and relearning everything I forgot.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    Without Mechjeb, I spend a lot more time fiddling with nodes and trying out different angles to try and connect with the planet somehow.

It feels a lot like I'm just hurtling things through space at random, but hey, if you've got the delta-v, why not?

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Yeah, I've spent waaaay too much time on the game by this point to waste hours fiddling with blind, eyeballed headings and finding out I misjudged something, so the mission is scrubbed for lack of delta v.

Nobody has gone to space without a whole team of folks behind them to feed them information and calc things out for them and build and test all their stuff, so no reason whatsoever for me to best-guess things.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Shogun wrote: »
    @Dac wasn't it you who recommended Dmagic's Orbital Science's mod? It is indeed fantastic but you also had some other neat-o parts mods that I can't remember. I remember some fancy solar panels or some such. Any idea what I'm talking about?

I think that was me--I also recommended AIES for solar panels and satellite parts. ;)

Unfortunately, while it has the best small satellite parts bar none, it hasn't been formally updated yet.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Ok I just gotta say. I play a lot of video games, and I'll admit I'm a victim of the Power Fantasy Gamer Complex. I like games that make me feel more awesome than I feel normally. Usually, Anything Made By Platinum Games takes the top slot for that, but when you get right down to it?
    lc5bpQT.png

rbVszo2.png

I launched a probe to get science from "either Duna or Ike, depending on how my orbit turns out". Due to awesome gravity assists, was able to get both. That shit seems cooler to me than anything else I've done in any game. and NO MECHJEB AT ALL!

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Synthesis wrote: »

I think that was me--I also recommended AIES for solar panels and satellite parts. ;)

Unfortunately, while it has the best small satellite parts bar none, it hasn't been formally updated yet.

Near Future also has lots of great solar panels, and also isn't yet updated for 0.24.

edit: The update just dropped.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    how much do the engines cost
    Synthesis wrote: »

I've already had AIES for ages and the parts work fine but prices are borked.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Hooray, landed my sensor-bristling lab on the Mun to farm all that science.

Too bad the game decided to take my two kerbonauts out of the lab before launch, so I just hauled a big fat lab to the Mun for a single biome.

Frowny face.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    If we're dreaming - a scripting interface for unmanned missions would be sweet. Like, "LaunchTime(+20s): Trigger(Stage2);"

Like all things kerbal related, there's a mod for that

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/68089-0-24-kOS-Scriptable-Autopilot-System-v0-13-1-2014-7-18/page120

I haven't even downloaded it so don't yell at me if it actually sucks, I just saw it while browsing the forum for .24 compatible mods.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    @Sceptre has been playing with kOs

• Options
    edited July 2014
    If you have a bit of experience with basic programming then kOs will not be very hard for you to tackle. I handle a lot of my launches through my notepad, then I run the program with the press of my enter key and sit back and watch.

It can be as simple or as complicated as you like too, right now I don't have much more written up other than some shoddy launch programs to get to orbit/ a few that I wrote specifically to try and complete contracts with. For example, for the "transmit science to space" mission, I wrote a program that gets my ship into orbit. Once I'm safely within the altitude range specified by the contract my ship will automatically activate all the sensors and run the experiments, before beginning a re-entry sequence.

To give you an idea of the things you can do This guy has written up a complete program for getting to the Mun and back.

The only thing that really annoys me is that I've been doing a lot of coding in Python lately, which makes sense of whitespace. In kOs every statement has to end with a period, which is only a problem when I go back to my python and start adding periods to the end of everything accidentally :\

Sceptre on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I will give that a try!

That sounds much preferable to me over mechJeb.

• Options
    InfamyDeferredInfamyDeferred Registered User regular
    How effectively does kOS hold attitude? I know that RemoteTech was a pro at holding the nose of a spaceplane steady, and that MechJeb's SmartASS is considerably worse (it oscillates all over the place in a plane, worse than the stock SAS). Or does it even have a built-in hold attitude?

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    In real life how did they manage to keep the space shuttle flying straight when they were launching it? I'm dabbling for the first time with using rockets to launch spaceplanes, and I'm having a hell of a time dealing with the center of mass being so off-center.

• Options
    InfamyDeferredInfamyDeferred Registered User regular
    wonderpug wrote: »
    In real life how did they manage to keep the space shuttle flying straight when they were launching it? I'm dabbling for the first time with using rockets to launch spaceplanes, and I'm having a hell of a time dealing with the center of mass being so off-center.

Use the spaceplane's engines to help, and maybe fine-tune the thrust settings on the different engines to balance it all. The actual space shuttle's 2 radial engines have a gimbal range of 20 degrees, if I remember right.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    That makes me ponder how the Energia launch vehicle carried Buran up (the Buran shuttle had no launch engines on its own, basically being a very large cargo payload/spaceplane lander).

• Options

Use the spaceplane's engines to help, and maybe fine-tune the thrust settings on the different engines to balance it all. The actual space shuttle's 2 radial engines have a gimbal range of 20 degrees, if I remember right.

Oh interesting. I always thought the shuttle's engines stayed off for the launch since that's how the flaming exhaust trails look, but it looks like they're on but just don't leave nearly the trail the big boosters do:

9JahoUp.jpg?1

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I've been ignoring that first rescue contract you get for a couple missions, but had some other stuff come up that I could do at the same time, so I rigged up a rocket, timed the launch for easy intercept, and away I went.

So, I was a bit late on the launch, so I had a really high closing speed for the intercept (About 700 m/s). I was fiddling with one of the test contracts when I saw a yellow target indicator whip by. Whoops.

Good thing this rocket was way overengineered. >.>

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular

Oh interesting. I always thought the shuttle's engines stayed off for the launch since that's how the flaming exhaust trails look, but it looks like they're on but just don't leave nearly the trail the big boosters do:

9JahoUp.jpg?1

That is correct. The SRBs have considerably more flash (and thrust) than the LFR system. Nevertheless, they both provide thrust during the initial phase of launch.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    How effectively does kOS hold attitude? I know that RemoteTech was a pro at holding the nose of a spaceplane steady, and that MechJeb's SmartASS is considerably worse (it oscillates all over the place in a plane, worse than the stock SAS). Or does it even have a built-in hold attitude?

It has functions that allow you to lock to a heading, but unless you write a custom script to do it doesn't have any auto-sas/rcs manipulation to help you stay steady. Admittedly I haven't tried using it for spaceplanes yet, I don't use spaceplanes very much.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    @Dalphir

89FA1B63E9AF7CCDF48BED00A5919BBB13C16484

Only the cockpit and body are B9 but the parts definitely still work. I need to do another big science mission to minmus to finish out my tech tree. Also I killed Bill and Jeb in an accident where I was goofing off with that plane and hit space center instead of revert flight. Derp.

• Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »

9JahoUp.jpg?1

That is correct. The SRBs have considerably more flash (and thrust) than the LFR system. Nevertheless, they both provide thrust during the initial phase of launch.

In fact, the liquid engines on the shuttle start(ed) at T-6.6 seconds (SRBs started at T-0)

• Options
    Finished another run to Minmus for 2k science. Still have a few techs at the end to unlock. Universal Storage is now my favorite/the best mod ever.

• Options
    edited July 2014

9JahoUp.jpg?1

I betcha NASA wanted to have the shuttle sit on top of the boosters to simplify the center of mass issue but found out like I did that the TR-18A Stack Decoupler doesn't attach to space plane engines.

wonderpug on
  • Options

9JahoUp.jpg?1

I betcha NASA wanted to have the shuttle sit on top of the boosters to simplify the center of mass issue but found out like I did that the TR-18A Stack Decoupler doesn't attach to space plane engines.

Well then it wouldn't be able to fire any engines at all at launch, when you need max thrust. Its boosters would be doing all the work, so you'd need more of them.

And Universal Storage is the jam. Give me little fiddly bits to fiddle with and I'll fiddle with them all day long. Cargo doors, cargo bays, open this, shove this in here, oh hey I can hide solar panels in here, neat this thing will hide a nose cone I wonder if I stack them three high can I get

Oh fuck it's 3 AM

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Fun fact about the shuttle: part of the reason the plume is so reduced is that the hydrogen flame is very clean burning - no soot and random hydrocarbon/metal plasma means you basically steam clean the engines each time you fire them.

• Options

9JahoUp.jpg?1

Well then it wouldn't be able to fire any engines at all at launch, when you need max thrust. Its boosters would be doing all the work, so you'd need more of them.

Did the shuttle engines provide a significant amount of lift while the boosters were active? From the angle they're pointed in that pic, I was thinking they were primarily just being used to counter the weight imbalance.

I've been fascinated by space program stuff ever since I was a kid, but bless KSP for making me think about the mechanics of it all in greater detail than I ever did before.

• Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Yes. I would think so anyway.
    with each engine producing 1,859 kN (418,000 lbf) of thrust at liftoff.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_main_engine

Even at those angles (the engines gimbal +/-10.5 deg), it's definitely helping to lift.

Edit: huh... that's very nearly the same weight as the largest blue whale.

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    I went back to the Mun for a couple contracts and some more science. It is definitely time to at least send a probe to Eve and farm what I can out of that. I'm sick of Kerbin's surrounding satellites. Maybe try an asteroid mission.

ADD42D55DEB02BEDC887837060BC5002C2F3D466

• Options
    I have heaps of mods installed so my game keeps crashing every hour or so. I don't care. I'm planning an epic manned Duna mission using RemoteTech and TAC Life support. In the process of building out all the modules that will be going, planning multiple redundancies for critical points of failure. What if the lander breaks, stranding the crew on the surface? What if they miss their departure window? What if the base supplies get scattered over a 5000 km^2 area? How do I keep all my probes, drones, and remote controlled rovers linked into the interplanetary relay network? How do I extend that network to cover the Duna system? How is all of this stuff going to get there in the first place? I'm at the point where the actual flying stuff is ho-hum, I'm in it for the engineering and meticulous planning.

Right now I'm building rovers with KAS magnets and crane arms powered by Infernal Robotics so they can drive over to orbit-dropped supply modules, pick them up, and carry them back to base camp, all before the crew has even left Kerbin.

This game has got its hooks in me bad.

• Options
    keep in mind the space shuttle engines are lifting the thing + the main fuel tank after the boosters burn out - they aren't weaksauce engines by any means.