As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Wednesday, May 7, 2014 - Intracranial Narratives

2»

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    I've always found the organic webshooters more convincing than the mechanical ones. I can buy that a radioactive spider bites a guy and he gets spider powers, I find it harder to swallow the idea that he then goes and invents an incredible, revolutionary adhesive in his bedroom just because he wanted something thematically appropriate.

Yeah, if Peter (school field trip Peter, not adult works-at-Horizon-labs Peter) has that kind of capability then he could have been fucking Iron Man or Batman and done his superheroing without needing a bug to bite him.

At least in ASM1 they had him steal some of the technology from Oscorp (right? I forget parts of that movie).

He didn't invent the web, just the shooters themselves. The web is like a biosteel cable that Oscorp manufacture or something. Why nobody thought to make bad ass rope swinging wrist mounted launchers until Spidey came along, I have no idea. It also wouldn't be hard to track down who's been buying shitloads of Oscorp biosteel and leaving it hanging around NYC.

If I remember correctly, the genetically engineered spiders make that bio steel cable (web) and Peter Parker gains the ability to do so as well when he gets bitten. He doesn't steal anything from Oscorp.

I think there were some shots in the "becoming Spider-Man" montage of him ordering the raw materials.

Regarding why nobody else was using the cables to make web shooters - without super agility, you'd just be George of the Jungleing into every skyscraper.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    I always liked the ultimate spider man explanation. Where the formula for the webs was just some adhesive his dad had been working on, and it wasn't until he had been Spider-Man a little while that it occurred to Peter something to do with it

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    I've always found the organic webshooters more convincing than the mechanical ones. I can buy that a radioactive spider bites a guy and he gets spider powers, I find it harder to swallow the idea that he then goes and invents an incredible, revolutionary adhesive in his bedroom just because he wanted something thematically appropriate.

Yeah, if Peter (school field trip Peter, not adult works-at-Horizon-labs Peter) has that kind of capability then he could have been fucking Iron Man or Batman and done his superheroing without needing a bug to bite him.

At least in ASM1 they had him steal some of the technology from Oscorp (right? I forget parts of that movie).

He didn't invent the web, just the shooters themselves. The web is like a biosteel cable that Oscorp manufacture or something. Why nobody thought to make bad ass rope swinging wrist mounted launchers until Spidey came along, I have no idea.

Probably gets back to Spidey having superstrength/agility/reflexes to let him use the launchers effectively. I for one wouldn't want to be flipping and falling around NYC rooftops the way he does in the trailer.

• Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    Talyn Rahl wrote: »
    I wonder which term it is that Tycho finds incredibly gross... There's a few contendors :p

Headcanon, probably.

Yeah, there are a couple contenders for "gross", but Jerry would probably use gross in terms of language murder rather than the literal definition.