As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX AUS 2014 Cosplay thread

2»

• AaronCAaronC Enforcer - Lieutenant Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    yes

• KeevaKeeva Registered User new member
    Thanks!

• Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    I might come as "generic aperture text subject" since I have an orange jumpsuit I can use. Ideally I'd also need an aperture branded tank top / singlet to go with it though, and I have no idea where I can get one of those are short notice. I was thinking I might just go in regular clothes on the Friday and see if I can buy one at the event.

Also, if I were to get one of those toy portal guns to complete the look, would that still have to go through the weapon's check?

Any prop like a space gun, a portal gun, a staff, anything that can be considered a weapon, a gun or usable as a weapon in real life or in the movie / game / book / anime that is is from, anything like that has to be checked at weapons check. It's a very simple procedure, it's good for the whole con, it doesn't mar the prop and it's easily covered for pictures. We even let you pick where to have the zip tie applied.

The short answer is yes.

• Neo KaiserNeo Kaiser Registered User regular
    I have a couple of questions in relation to dressing up.

Is a packet of smokes ok? Or rather, a fake packet.

Are lighters ok?

and while I'm still considering it, is a cricket bat ok?

edited October 2014
    Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Probably can't smoke inside. Don't hit any wickets or sticky whatever's or bowl a maiden over or have a blow.... Cricket is so confusing.

AaronC on
  • Neo KaiserNeo Kaiser Registered User regular
    AaronC wrote: »
    Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Probably can't smoke inside. Don't hit any wickets or sticky whatever's or bowl a maiden over or have a blow.... Cricket is so confusing.

Oh, I don't smoke, it's part of the costume.

And I was hoping for a cricket joke. :)

• Cookienommer51Cookienommer51 Registered User regular
    I want to cosplay. But i don't know where or how i can find or make a costume

• YamaseiYamasei Registered User regular
    I want to cosplay. But i don't know where or how i can find or make a costume

First off, let me welcome you to the wonderful world of cosplay. I've been cosplaying for seven years, and it can get to be an expensive hobby, especially if you're looking into making your own weapons/armour. If you're after a costume, I'm afraid that eBay won't be of much help to you now, as it generally takes the seller at least one week to make your costume, and 2-3 weeks depending on the location of the seller/shipping method/time of year. However, this doesn't mean you can't string together your own costume out of items from your wardrobe or department stores. If it's a casual outfit, there's a good chance you'll be able find things in Target, Big W, Myer, etc.

If you are after a nice quality wig to go with your cosplay, I recommend giving Moemall a try. They actually have a shop in the city. The address is Moemall, 422 Bourke Street, Melbourne, 3000 VIC. They've got beautiful wigs, and their costumes are fantastic. Also, they're not overpriced, either. If you send them an email at support@moemall.com they might be able to get a wig to you quickly if you don't have time to venture into the city. Do give their website a browse, as their stuff is of nice quality.

Also, cosplaying is all about having fun, so don't feel pressured to look exactly like the character. You can do it regardless of race, gender, body type, skin colour, and while you'll find judgmental people who will criticize your inaccuracy, whatever that might be, don't let that ruin the fun. If you'd like some more places to find good items for cosplays, just let me know, Cookie.

Okay, now, onto my question! I am cosplaying Yuno Gasai from Future Diary, and she possesses weapons ranging from axes to machetes to an innocent pair of scissors. I understand that the weapons policy (especially in VIC) is very strict, but I was wondering if I could at least bring a pair of scissors to pose with? They're not considered a weapon, but I suppose you could cause harm with them, so would anyone be able to tell me if I can actually bring them along? The costume isn't really the same without them.

• BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    Yamasei wrote: »
    Okay, now, onto my question! I am cosplaying Yuno Gasai from Future Diary, and she possesses weapons ranging from axes to machetes to an innocent pair of scissors. I understand that the weapons policy (especially in VIC) is very strict, but I was wondering if I could at least bring a pair of scissors to pose with? They're not considered a weapon, but I suppose you could cause harm with them, so would anyone be able to tell me if I can actually bring them along? The costume isn't really the same without them.

True they may not be considered a weapon by local law, but if they are sharp and\or pointy, they would not be allowed. Bring an over-sized pair of safety scissors maybe? Or mock some up with cardboard or something? If they had a non-pointy tip, and just had the sharp edges to deal with I don't know, that would be up to the security enforcers on site. Safest bet for your costume would be to make your own version.

The concern isn't so much that you would attack someone with your deadly scissors. Its that this space is super crowded, and they will be in your hand often. You might swing your hand out to point at something, or strike a pose, while someone is walking past you and smack them. That's usually merely embarrassing when it happens with an empty hand, with a hand with scissors in them, it becomes dangerous.

From the main site...
    It cannot be sharp or pointy enough to cut or pierce someone with moderate pressure. This includes all real swords, daggers and knives. It also includes ceramic blades, needles, syringes and anything that can pierce (for example, a Little Sister syringe made of wood would not be allowed)

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
    I was actually considering safety scissors and keeping them in my bag the whole time, because walking around with scissors in general is dangerous. I mean, safety scissors can't even cut butter.

• ShanoreShanore Registered User regular
    I'll be dressing up as okosan this year....please nobody be scared if a weird bird tries to feed you pudding, it's not poisoned and delicious.

• bootie101bootie101 Registered User new member
    my daughter and I are dressing as hearthstone cards even though I found out blizzard wont be there.. but doesnt matter. First time I have ever cosplayed :)

• ThefongThefong Registered User new member
    I'm doing a Meepo cosplay with me and 3 other friends, and we've got some foot and a half long plastic shovels, no metal, no sharp bits at all, would these still need to be registered?

• Shrapnel117Shrapnel117 Registered User new member
    I will be cosplaying as Borderlands 1 Mordecai this year. I have a question though, With the costume, I have a sword made of Worbla, now the tip on it may be able to cause harm if given enough pressure (it's not too pointy, my fingernails are probably sharper) which I assume wouldn't be allowed, but the sword would be enclosed in a sheathe on my back for the majority except for photo opportunities.

Because it would be enclosed in the sheathe and safe from causing potential harm to others, would this still be allowed?

• BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    If its able to be removed, and is deemed dangerous, it would not be allowed. Its nothing personal, but we just can't take people's promise that they won't remove it and call it good. It would be up to the Security enforcers who check it to determine if it is dangerous or not, we won't be able to give you a definitive answer here. Sorry.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • SuperRoachSuperRoach BallaratRegistered User regular
    Has anyone heard of light painting?
    It's where you draw in the air and take a long exposure photo of it. Here's some I done a while back. http://imgur.com/a/sMf3W

Would there be any charecters/cosplayers that would look even more awesome if I took a photo involving them somehow? Cloud getting hyped up casting a spell or mario under a coin box or something. I dunno!

• FernurionFernurion Registered User regular
    Wow, those are incredible! I'm sure you'll find some cosplayers that want that sort of thing in their photos. Heck, I want one! :biggrin:

SuperRoach wrote: »
    Has anyone heard of light painting?
    It's where you draw in the air and take a long exposure photo of it. Here's some I done a while back. http://imgur.com/a/sMf3W

Would there be any charecters/cosplayers that would look even more awesome if I took a photo involving them somehow? Cloud getting hyped up casting a spell or mario under a coin box or something. I dunno!

I think characters from Naruto/DBZ would appreciate that sort of thing!

• SuperRoachSuperRoach BallaratRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Thanks Yamasei and Fern :) I'll do some quick research - Looks like fire and wings go well with Naruto - and maybe post in the facebook group and ask if there's interest. Going to be a great year regardless!

SuperRoach on
  • GaaraGaara Registered User new member
    Sorry! You guys are probably getting sick of these questions but I have a wooden sora keyblade (no sharp bits) and was wondering if id be allowed to bring it? I know it might be taken off of me going inside but what about outside?

• Armoured HeavenArmoured Heaven Registered User new member
    For those with questions regarding bringing toy guns to the event. This is the VIC state law for them and is taken directly from the VICPOL official PDF paraphernalia stating exactly what is and what isn't a firearm. Pending PAX's inspection, any brought along as a toy should be ok. Just remember to bag em to and from events. Out of sight, out of mind and no one hits the panic button and causes a stir.

1lpsmoojlkq1.jpg

• PixelsPixels Sydney AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I'm coming as Serena from Pokemon X :)
    I ordered a pokeball replica off eBay but it hasn't arrived yet so I purchased white Christmas baubles and red paint so I can make my own

• SammieJay91SammieJay91 Registered User new member
    Does anyone know what the costume regulations like?? I'm thinking of Cosplaying as Cortana from Halo, don't want to put all the effort in to find out I can't wear it.

Does anyone know what the costume regulations like?? I'm thinking of Cosplaying as Cortana from Halo, don't want to put all the effort in to find out I can't wear it.
    @AaronC put them in the OP, but you can also find them on Paxsite http://aus.paxsite.com/safety-and-security#weapons-check-policies. In addition VIC state laws are of course also in effect.
    Did you have a specific question?

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png