As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Medical Question: Can Mono return? "Gross" picture included (and spoiled)

DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy EaterRight behind you...Registered User regular
Back in 1997, I contracted infectious mononucleosis. I was 19 at the time, so I got it pretty bad. At the time, my spleen got noticeably swollen, I had a low-grade fever, was very tired, and had trouble digesting fatty foods (likely something to do with my liver). I also got a sore throat. Well, that's not entirely accurate. I actually developed excruciatingly painful sores in my throat. I was sick for quite a while, but for the most part recovered after a few months.

The problem is that over the years, certain symptoms periodically return, mostly the throat ulcerations, sometimes accompanied by periods of exhaustion, which makes me believe the exhaustion is not just regular tiredness. The most recent recurrence was this week, when I started to feel tired and developed another painful nasty sore in my throat which felt like it was actually oozing something, and developed another low-grade fever. I was even able to position my phone in my mouth to take a picture of it.

My question is this: Is this a recurring mono relapse? It's been 17 years, and a blood test less than a year ago didn't show a compromised immune system (normal white cell count). My tonsils were take out when i was six years old, if that makes a difference. Is this normal behavior for mono, if that's what it is?

As promised, here's a picture of my mouth/throat that demonstrates what I'm talking about. It's not really that gross, but it's spoiled for the more squeamish. Consider yourself warned:
3h4as6zuwnly.jpg

• Options
    puffycowpuffycow Registered User regular
    From what I understand, most mono infections are from the Epstein-Barr virus, which is in the herpes family. Because of this you could experience flair ups of symptoms through the rest of your life. I had it about 5 years ago, and for 2 years after I would get the sore throat (no legions, though) and swollen glands. So I wouldn't consider having symptoms flair up again as being abnormal, but they should also subside on their own.

I would still advise seeing your doctor just to play it safe.

FrankForum-1.jpg
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Yup, looks like a viral sore. It could be a flare-up of the mono, or it could be something new or old (if you've ever had canker sores before, they can come up again at any time). It's not common for mono to persist for 15+ years, but it does happen, especially when patients are multi-symptomatic or contract it during their adolescence/early adulthood.

You should still go see a doctor, if you can.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    RanaVexRanaVex Registered User regular
    I would also recommend to visit a doctor, maybe there is a way to check up the rheumatic diseases. Mononucleosis can return, but that rare. Did your lymph nodes grow ? Besides that, its pretty hard to make a viable diagnosis from internet, even with a picture.

i24ljphx1z1q.jpg
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    It can especially return if you have a fever or an infection. Also you can be contagious. That's how I caught mono. My mom congratulated me on my first sti.

• Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    It did feel like the lymph nodes under my jaw swelled a little, although not excessively. I was also experiencing bouts of exhaustion, and it felt like I had a little pain in my abdomen where my spleen is, although I also got a pain in my right side. I figured that was my liver since my original case of mono caused some liver inflammation.

In my readings, it now sound like mono is like chicken pox, where it's usually a simple matter if you get it as a child but much more severe if you get it as an adult. Since I got it as an adult and was horrendously ill from it, I didn't know if that would have a long term effect.

I seem to be getting better now. The throat sore is clearing up, although the area is still visibly irritated. If this happens again, I'll go to the doctor, especially because when this happens, the throat sore almost always seems to be in the same place.