As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Unreal Tournament: Free edition. PA 2k4 server on Main page.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    You guys are nuts. I used to put the bio rifle at the lowest priority, even over the melee.

For me the priority list was something like:

Flak cannon
    rocket launcher
    bio rifle
    everything else
    all sniper weapons

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Sounds like we need to get a UT game night here on PA.

I remember hearing about the game (2k4) and downloading the demo to check it out. I was hooked with onslaught and assault. Torlan and convoy were great demo maps, and after buying the game I was in love with a lot of the other stock maps.

Then the custom maps started in and damn they were great. Maps like hellbender race will always have a special place for me.

dav3yb on
    PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    I still don't get why UT3 gets hate. Was just as fun as the older games to me.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Onslaught was alright, until you got some friend and actually drive around in one of the multi-person vehicles: then it becomes a blast. :D

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    All about the Translocator plus the Flak Cannon for me. Translocator and Impact Hammer are a fun combo too. Really just whatever I could get my hands on that would gib people best was my favorite stuff.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    I could look into spinning up a short-term server if we want one and have enough interest.

The real loaded question/deathbrawl would be "what version do we want?" I'm pretty sure GS supports all of them.

Edit: poll!

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    PMAvers wrote: »
    I could look into spinning up a short-term server if we want one and have enough interest.

The real loaded question/deathbrawl would be "what version do we want?" I'm pretty sure GS supports all of them.

Edit: poll!
    Epic knows us too well. The Unreal franchise is 50% off on Steam until the 15th.

The Anonymous on
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Bubby wrote: »

For me it felt kinda sluggish but the biggest sin was how the texturing made everything blend together into one big bumpmapped mess. That's a huge no-no in a genre like this. UT99 and 2k3/4 had really bold, contrasting colours and in 2k4 (the other games may have had this) you could just make everyone bright blue or red.

UE3 coincided with Cliffy B's descent into dudebro, grimdark, fuckbaggetry and UT3's design suffered as a result.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    UT3 had a ton of issues at launch. The visual style as mentioned above (the community and devs alike are in total agreement on going for a cleaner, more colourful look with the new UT), balance, movement physics, shoe-horning vehicles into every map, a number of bugs and glitches, the fact that only higher-end machines could handle the game at all...Black did fix much of this, but by then it was far too late.

• Options
    If there is enough interest in a server I'd personally want 2k4, as it would also provide a lot of game variation with onslaught and assault in the mix. Also we need race maps even though the physics were wonky at times on them, they are fun and can be a challenge if someone doesn't figure out how to exploit some of the issues in them

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    Telefragging is my specialty.

I remember sniping people with my Translocator on Dogtown. Good times.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    The best weapon was the impact hammer. I'd often hop on a DM server, change my name to HAMMER_TIME and run around turning people to paste.

Impact Hammer was so awesome, but not for actually hitting people with it. You could reflect every projectile in the game back to where it was shot from if you timed the secondary shot just right.

The best was when you got people shooting a redeemer without manually flying it, and just bounced it right back into their face.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    I enjoyed that mission in the dessert with the missles and trucks Convoy, were there any other of that mission type that were fun?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvtKIe9-Ddk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in8YPd7lfx0

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    Poll results so far have 6/9 people voting for UT2k4.

That's pretty definite, although not really a huge sample size. Keep them coming.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Meanwhile, UT3 has a whopping zero votes. Turns out, a demo of a 15-years-old game is more popular!

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I had a lot of fun with UT3, myself. But the rocky start to it really killed interest for me.

• Options
    I enjoyed that mission in the dessert with the missles and trucks Convoy, were there any other of that mission type that were fun?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvtKIe9-Ddk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in8YPd7lfx0

Not any EXACTLY like it, but the others were pretty fun. The start of mother ship had you dogfighting in space. And junkyard was pretty epic trying to get the hell bender to the exit.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    This is great news, can't wait. UT99 with chaosUT and U4W was amazing back in the day. The Quantum Singularity Generator was a magnificent weapon...

• Options
    So there was a surge of votes in the poll and UT2k4 continues to hold it's blowout at 15/22 votes.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    *looks at his shelf*

PHEW. UT2k4. I knew I bought that game.

• Options
    frenetic_ferretfrenetic_ferret wildest weasel East Coast is Best CoastRegistered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Bubby wrote: »

For me it felt kinda sluggish but the biggest sin was how the texturing made everything blend together into one big bumpmapped mess. That's a huge no-no in a genre like this. UT99 and 2k3/4 had really bold, contrasting colours and in 2k4 (the other games may have had this) you could just make everyone bright blue or red.

UE3 coincided with Cliffy B's descent into dudebro, grimdark, fuckbaggetry and UT3's design suffered as a result.

UT3 had bright skins, 2k4 had UTcomp created by the competitive community, and 2k3 you could force it via ini.

In the prior UT games you could modify the .ini files to force character models and force the models to self illuminate, but there were no options to do this in the menu. Someone cooked up a nice little executable that would make all the changes for you. This let you toggle it back and forth (exiting program required) without having to deal with multiple .ini files. People on the official Atari forums bitched up a storm that this was cheating (never mind the fact that stripping out all graphical details, running 800x600 was an even greater advantage than making everybody a big glowing red fatman, but oh well) and known asshole and moron Wormbo (behind the antiTCC anti cheat program) decided that this was cheating and thus included these changes in what antiTCC would look for an autoban people.

Que hilarity because any halfway good competitive player had been running crap like that for a while. So anyways, UTcomp and other competitive mods came out that could be loaded server side as a mutator. The intent was that the competitive crowd could load their servers up the way they way, and all the people pissing in the kiddie pool wouldn't have to play with it if they wanted. Everyone should be happy right? WRONG. Well it turned out that the vast majority of well run, highly populated, idiot free, no stupid shitty maps, active admins, servers were run by members of the competitive community or their friends. So all the good servers had UTcomp, and all the UTcomp free servers were the absolute worst of the worst. So the idiot crowd started screaming again on the Epic Forums to ban UTcomp and all of it entirely from the game to force the competitive players to pay out of their own pockets to support servers run how the idiot crowd wanted them.

When UT3 hit epic loudly claimed that they had fixed the issue by including self illuminated, though not fully illuminated, skins and some sort of hit sounds. But they screwed it up and that game sucked.

• Options
    frenetic_ferretfrenetic_ferret wildest weasel East Coast is Best CoastRegistered User regular
    Oh, and you can't forget this gem of an Unreal game. It was what Onslaught should have been.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDNRHbehT1E

• Options
    the fact that only higher-end machines could handle the game at all
    Huh, I didn't know about that but I'm one of those guys who's computer is always about |_| that far away from spontaneously gaining sentience.

*looks at his shelf*

Only once? :smiley:

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    the fact that only higher-end machines could handle the game at all
    Huh, I didn't know about that but I'm one of those guys who's computer is always about |_| that far away from spontaneously gaining sentience.

*looks at his shelf*

Only once? :smiley:

When UT3 hit it ran like ass for anybody who didn't have an nvidia 8800, 2-4gb DDR2 800/1066, and a heavily OC'd core2 duo. This was at the time all of this was still new and 8800gtx cards were flying around for 600+ bucks. Sure you could run it, but you couldn't get the frame rates you needed not to get spanked to hell and back unless you had top of the line everything. For those of us with dual 8800gtx, core2 e6700 OC'd, 4gb DDR2 1066 it flew, for most other people it was a mess.

• Options
    Oh the 8800. Meeeemmmorriiiiieeeees.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Oh man, low grav instagib.

My wrist hurts to this day.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    CAN WE GET UNREAL GOING AGAIN. PLEASE. FACING WORLDS 2014

also I found instagib to be way more difficult than regular old unreal. I'd play on Instagib or sniper rifle only servers then run to a regular DM server and just demolish people.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    also GOTY Edition or bust.

(jk i'll play any unreal other than UT3)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    All of this nostalgia for the good old days of FPS had me pick up Unreal Gold on Steam while it's on sale. I have it on disk and stuff but never got the Na Pali expansion so it was a good excuse to double dip.

In a way the original game will always be my favorite I guess. I wish the second one had held up. It can go sit in the corner with UT3.

Drake on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Why so much hatred for UT3? I actually liked it, but the lower player population made it harder to find a good server. Surprised they never pulled out a UT3 update/rerelease like they did when UT2K3 seemed to be disappointing to some people so they went back to blow everyone's pants off with UT2K4 and succeeded.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    EDIT: I suddenly can't remember whether it was 2k3 or 2k4 that had the ultra hype as fuck sports style announcer.

That guy was the best.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    I've owned literally every single version of Unreal and Unreal Tournament. Absolutely love the franchise.

I'll need to practice quite a bit to get my skills back up to par, but I'd love to play it again with you guys.

*pelvic thrusts*

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    EDIT: I suddenly can't remember whether it was 2k3 or 2k4 that had the ultra hype as fuck sports style announcer.

That guy was the best.

It was mos def 2k3. 2k3 had that whole BIG MONEY FUTURE SPECTATOR BLOODSPORT vibe going on, everywhere from the overenthusastic announcer to that menu theme that sounds like something from NFL on FOX 2133 AD edition. Ultra-corny, over the top, and I kind of appreciated it.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    CAN WE GET UNREAL GOING AGAIN. PLEASE. FACING WORLDS 2014

also I found instagib to be way more difficult than regular old unreal. I'd play on Instagib or sniper rifle only servers then run to a regular DM server and just demolish people.

Heh, was the other way around on every single ladder and event we competed in.

Hitscan weapons are easy mode, and IG made it so it was really hard to miss unless you had clubs for hands. Plus not having to time every weapon and power up down to a second to map lock people! You could turn your brain off, no having to time shit, no having to think, easiest weapon in the game to use from the easy class of weapon. It was just point and click with no brains. We'd join the IG events off and on and just wicked sick the top teams on the ladder, storm their IRC channel and post videos and scores of it. We caused several teams to quit the game entirely. We saw the top euro guys face stomp the entire IG ladders as well. Good times. Want to hear wicked sick, go play the IG crowd and trolololol them, get nice and drunk as well, not like there are weapons or power ups to control.

That guy was the best.

You can toggle the announcer in both, but that dude is the default in 2k3.

EDIT- I have people I met playing Unreal, not even Unreal Tournament on my Origin and Steam Friends, odd I never thought of it till now.

frenetic_ferret on
  • Options
    Zxerol wrote: »

That guy was the best.

It was mos def 2k3. 2k3 had that whole BIG MONEY FUTURE SPECTATOR BLOODSPORT vibe going on, everywhere from the overenthusastic announcer to that menu theme that sounds like something from NFL on FOX 2133 AD edition. Ultra-corny, over the top, and I kind of appreciated it.
    Yeah, that's what I thought but I redacted my original post because I started to doubt my memory. So with that cleared up:

Say what you will about 2k3 but that announcer was the fucking greatest thing ever. 2K3's BIG MONEY BIG PRIZES vibe was pretty appropriate since the game is called, yanno, Unreal Tournament. I hope we can get home back for this game.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options

That guy was the best.

Yeah, that's what I thought but I redacted my original post because I started to doubt my memory. So with that cleared up:

Say what you will about 2k3 but that announcer was the fucking greatest thing ever. 2K3's BIG MONEY BIG PRIZES vibe was pretty appropriate since the game is called, yanno, Unreal Tournament. I hope we can get home back for this game.

Dear modders,

We need a Smash TV mod for Unreal Tournament.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options

That guy was the best.

No that wasn't the best thing about 2k3, it was all the map breaking bugs. The best were bombing run map bugs, though you'll have to get an unpatched copy to do any of the following.

On BR-Anubis in the sandpits at the side, you can get under the map with the translocator by firing it in the corner by the stairs. The best is you can shoot out, but they can't shoot in.
    On BR-Ice Fields, in the center of the map you can get under the map again, with the ball as well, can't shoot out but can't get shot either.
    On BR-BiFrost, at one base you can punt the ball under it and trans after it. From there you can run around behind the map, around the sides of the map, and get up onto the skybox, even come back in the other side and score.
    On BR-Skyline (only in instagib will this work) you can take the ball from your base and shoot it, bounce it off the wall, and if done correct it will fall straight down the chimney for an instant 3 pointer. Done right any time you touch the ball you get an instant 3 points.
    On BR-DE-ElectricFields you can get under the map. The ground all the way down there is solid, you just die when you fall past a certain point, unless you know one of the ways to climb down. Then you can run around all over the bottom but you can be shot, you can also shoot them.

And that's just scratching the surface of the idiocy.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Taranis wrote: »
    I've owned literally every single version of Unreal and Unreal Tournament. Absolutely love the franchise.

I'll need to practice quite a bit to get my skills back up to par, but I'd love to play it again with you guys.

*pelvic thrusts*

okay does the sale end on the day of May 15th or after May 15th? Also @PMAvers‌

why wasn't GOTY included?

has anyone purchased anything yet?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    GOTY is just UT99, isn't it?

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Taranis wrote: »

*pelvic thrusts*

okay does the sale end on the day of May 15th or after May 15th? Also PMAvers‌

why wasn't GOTY included?

has anyone purchased anything yet?

I just picked up the steam version of UT2k4, not sure if it includes any GOTY content though. As far as I know, Unreal Tournament GOTY content has always been provided for free to those who already own the base game. If it isn't included you should be able to get it through a legal download somewhere. However I wouldn't be surprised if it's included and just not specified.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg