As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

That's fucking interesting man, that's fucking interesting! (nsf56k)

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    6 out of 14 is also a pretty small sample

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    6 out of 14 is also a pretty small sample

Yeah, and from only a couple of sites.

Obviously when we're dealing with stuff that's 1000+ years old small samples are kind of the rule more than the exception, and it's just something we're gonna have to accept to a certain degree.

But in no way at all does this really say anything about what the original link wants it to
    Shieldmaidens are not a myth! A recent archaeological discovery has shattered the stereotype of exclusively male Viking warriors sailing out to war while their long-suffering wives wait at home with baby Vikings. (We knew it! We always knew it.) Plus, some other findings are challenging that whole “rape and pillage” thing, too.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Also Viking =/= Norse

• Options
    I mean that being said females assuming male gendered roles to take part in pursuing a big economic opportunity are not out of the norm at all

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    I'm gonna be real with you guys, I hadn't even started reading this article before deciding to share it with you because it seems so cool.

Tested article about the origins of the periscope and where designers are trying to take it

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    What I'm taking away from that article is that until now anthropologists assumed that being buried with a sword or a knife meant you were male and they never tested that assumption until now, meaning the only reason we ever came up with the idea of "vikings" as a predominantly male culture was because of ignorant assumption.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Well, up until three years ago anyway

at least at whichever sites the researcher checked for sure

The actual study is behind a pay wall or something, and that article that was linked on the last page only cites and quotes a three year old USA today article but only the parts that are article and not direct citations from the study (which the USA today article does quote in places)

Here is the abstract from the study
    Various types of evidence have been used in the search for Norse migrants to eastern England in the latter ninth century. Most of the data gives the impression that Norse females were far outnumbered by males. But using burials that are most certainly Norse and that have also been sexed osteologically provides very different results for the ratio of male to female Norse migrants. Indeed, it suggests that female migration may have been as significant as male, and that Norse women were in England from the earliest stages of the migration, including during the campaigning period from 865.

It would be cool if the person who wrote the new blog thing had found any kind of followup to that study at all

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »
    What I'm taking away from that article is that until now anthropologists assumed that being buried with a sword or a knife meant you were male and they never tested that assumption until now, meaning the only reason we ever came up with the idea of "vikings" as a predominantly male culture was because of ignorant assumption.

Well, we have six women burried with weapons. We don't know why or how common it was. It's going to take a lot more to convince me the Vikings were all about equality.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    They were very much about equality. Maybe not equality in combat, but certainly in the legal sense.
    It wasn't full equality, but in family life, women were the ones in charge of finances, and they had total freedom to divorce their husbands. Their sagas also featured strong female characters -- something many male writers are still struggling with today, unless "strong female character" means "drama ballast with tits."

Vikings weren't an entire culture of casual rape. In fact, Viking rape laws were far more progressive than their so-called "civilized" European counterparts. On the continent, women were considered property and so rape was a property crime -- there was no "victim," but the father or husband, whose property had been damaged. While Icelandic law punished both rape and attempted rape with outlawry, which was basically the death penalty. Rapists weren't executed outright, but it was totally legal to kill outlaws with impunity. And knowing the Vikings, "no consequence kill" was probably roughly analogous to "free ice cream buffet."

Read more: http://www.cracked.com/article_20474_5-shockingly-progressive-ideas-from-primitive-cultures.html#ixzz3CDdHP3Ln

These are Icelandic vikings, but they had much in common with other scandinavians.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    From the British Museum

ps337507_l.jpg
    Marble relief with female gladiators

Roman, 1st-2nd century AD
    From Halikarnassos (modern Bodrum, Turkey)

This marble relief was carved on the occasion of the missio (honourable release) of two women fighters, 'Amazon' and 'Achilia', who had probably earned their freedom by giving a series of outstanding performances. They are shown with the same equipment as male gladiators, but without helmets.

Women made up a part of the audience as well, though they did have to sit separately from men in the top rows at the back.

The satirist Juvenal (Saturae 6, 110 ff.) describes the amorous feelings of a lady called Eppia for a fighting hero. His many wounds did not trouble her, for after all he was a gladiator. The satirist adds: 'What these women love is the sword.' The excavators of the gladiatorial school in Pompeii found a richly adorned woman, obviously of high social status, among the gladiators. Had the eruption of Vesuvius brought a clandestine love affair to a terrible end?

Multiple emperors issued decrees banning female gladiators, meaning the bans apparently never really stuck. And one of the signs in Pompeii celebrates a promoter as being the first to bring female gladiators to town.

• Options
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    They were very much about equality. Maybe not equality in combat, but certainly in the legal sense.
    It wasn't full equality, but in family life, women were the ones in charge of finances, and they had total freedom to divorce their husbands. Their sagas also featured strong female characters -- something many male writers are still struggling with today, unless "strong female character" means "drama ballast with tits."

Vikings weren't an entire culture of casual rape. In fact, Viking rape laws were far more progressive than their so-called "civilized" European counterparts. On the continent, women were considered property and so rape was a property crime -- there was no "victim," but the father or husband, whose property had been damaged. While Icelandic law punished both rape and attempted rape with outlawry, which was basically the death penalty. Rapists weren't executed outright, but it was totally legal to kill outlaws with impunity. And knowing the Vikings, "no consequence kill" was probably roughly analogous to "free ice cream buffet."

Read more: http://www.cracked.com/article_20474_5-shockingly-progressive-ideas-from-primitive-cultures.html#ixzz3CDdHP3Ln

These are Icelandic vikings, but they had much in common with other scandinavians.

Eh, I need more proof than Cracked. And there is a difference between what the law states, and how it was enforced.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    All the sources Cracked cites were books. You can read them by clicking on the links in the articles.

One of the books mentions that Icelandic women were prohibited from using weapons. But the women found with weapons were not Icelandic so it's not too relevant. Also, there are Icelandic sagas where women use weapons.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    The satirist Juvenal (Saturae 6, 110 ff.) describes the amorous feelings of a lady called Eppia for a fighting hero. His many wounds did not trouble her, for after all he was a gladiator. The satirist adds: 'What these women love is the sword.'

Oooh, innuendo! I remember reading somewhere that gladius (sword) was slang for "penis". Post-workout baths for gladiators consisted of pouring olive oil on the skin and rubbing sand on the body. This mixture was then scraped off, and celebrity gladiators would sell this concoction to fans as a souvenir/virility aid.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    The satirist Juvenal (Saturae 6, 110 ff.) describes the amorous feelings of a lady called Eppia for a fighting hero. His many wounds did not trouble her, for after all he was a gladiator. The satirist adds: 'What these women love is the sword.'

Oooh, innuendo! I remember reading somewhere that gladius (sword) was slang for "penis". Post-workout baths for gladiators consisted of pouring olive oil on the skin and rubbing sand on the body. This mixture was then scraped off, and celebrity gladiators would sell this concoction to fans as a souvenir/virility aid.

D:

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

As cracked usually does, they're really over-simplifying. Just like in many cultures, if you were the right kind of freeborn woman life was actually preeetty decent for you. And yeah, probably better than on the continent, though that's a whole lot of different cultures with varying legal and cultural traditions.

It's also true that the Vikings' primary sin as far as European sources were concerned was doing the kinds of things that the Europeans would have been perfectly happy doing to the Scandinavians. But just because that makes the Vikings non-unique doesn't make them somehow nice.

EDIT: this probably deserves a trigger warning, 1000 years old or not
    When the day arrived on which the man was to be cremated and the girl with him, I went to the river on which was his ship. I saw that they had drawn the ship onto the shore, and that they had erected four posts of birch wood and other wood, and that around the ship was made a structure like great ship's tents out of wood. Then they pulled the ship up until it was on this wooden construction. Then they began to come and go and to speak words which I did not understand, while the man was still in his grave and had not yet been brought out. The tenth day, having drawn the ship up onto the river bank, they guarded it. In the middle of the ship they prepared a dome or pavillion of wood and covered this with various sorts of fabrics. Then they brought a couch and put it on the ship and covered it with a mattress of Greek brocade. Then came an old woman whom they call the Angel of Death, and she spread upon the couch the furnishings mentioned. It is she who has charge of the clothes-making and arranging all things, and it is she who kills the girl slave. I saw that she was a strapping old woman, fat and louring.

When they came to the grave they removed the earth from above the wood, then the wood, and took out the dead man clad in the garments in which he had died. I saw that he had grown black from the cold of the country. They put intoxicating drink, fruit, and a stringed instrument in the grave with him. They removed all that. The dead man did not smell bad, and only his color had changed. They dressed him in trousers, stockings, boots, a tunic, and caftan of brocade with gold buttons. They put a hat of brocade and fur on him. Then they carried him into the pavillion on the ship. They seated him on the mattress and propped him up with cushions. They brought intoxicating drink, fruits, and fragrant plants, which they put with him, then bread, meat, and onions, which they placed before him. Then they brought a dog, which they cut in two and put in the ship. Then they brought his weapons and placed them by his side. Then they took two horses, ran them until they sweated, then cut them to pieces with a sword and put them in the ship. Next they killed a rooster and a hen and threw them in. The girl slave who wished to be killed went here and there and into each of their tents, and the master of each tent had sexual intercourse with her and said, "Tell your lord I have done this out of love for him."

Friday afternoon they led the slave girl to a thing that they had made which resembled a door frame. She placed her feet on the palms of the men and they raised her up to overlook this frame. She spoke some words and they lowered her again. A second time they rasied her up and she did again what she had done; then they lowered her. They raised her a third time and she did as she had done the two times before. Then they brought her a hen; she cut off the head, which she threw away, and then they took the hen and put it in the ship. I asked the interpreter what she had done. He answered, "The first time they raised her she said, 'Behold, I see my father and mother.' The second time she said, 'I see all my dead relatives seated.' The third time she said, 'I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants. He calls me. Take me to him.' " Now they took her to the ship. She took off the two bracelets she was wearing and gave them both to the old woman called the Angel of Death, who was to kill her; then she took off the two finger rings which she was wearing and gave them to the two girls who had served her and were the daughters of the woman called the Angel of Death. Then they raised her onto the ship but they did not make her enter the pavillion.

The men came with shields and sticks. She was given a cup of intoxicating drink; she sang at taking it and drank. The interpreter told me that she in this fashion bade farewell to all her girl companions. Then she was given another cup; she took it and sang for a long time while the old woman incited her to drink up and go into the pavilion where her master lay. I saw that she was distracted; she wanted to enter the pavillion but put her head between it and the boat. Then the old woman seized her head and made her enter the pavillion and entered with her. Thereupon the men began to strike with the sticks on the shields so that her cries could not be heard and the other slave girls would not seek to escape death with their masters. Then six men went into the pavillion and each had intercourse with the girl. Then they laid her at the side of her master; two held her feet and two her hands; the old woman known as the Angel of Death re-entered and looped a cord around her neck and gave the crossed ends to the two men for them to pull. Then she approached her with a broad-bladed dagger, which she plunged between her ribs repeatedly, and the men strangled her with the cord until she was dead.

Kana on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Well that's fucking gnarly.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Well other than Viking women being bad ass.
    Did you Vikings used Rings as Currency? also they were the first to come up with woven socks! both were items of high trade for the Vikings!

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Alas, poor Yorrick

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »

D:

The classical version of a sport start pimping a new brand of body spray.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Happy Treaty of Paris Day. The day Quebec was almost given to the Americans.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Canada had to keep Quebec because every country can only have one Texas at a time

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »
    Stilts wrote: »

D:

The classical version of a sport start pimping a new brand of body spray.

Probably axe.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Canada had to keep Quebec because every country can only have one Texas at a time

Vive le Jay Sherman!

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    msuitepyonmsuitepyon Registered User regular
    Prep the fuel-air bombs.

• Options
    Nathanial Bacon's "Cookmaid with Vegetables" from 1620-25
    T06995_9.jpg
    melon (n.)

late 14c., from Old French melon (13c.), from Medieval Latin melonem (nominative melo), from Latin melopeponem, a kind of pumpkin, from Greek melopepon "gourd-apple" (name for several kinds of gourds bearing sweet fruit), from melon "apple" (see malic) + pepon, a kind of gourd, probably noun use of pepon "ripe" (see pumpkin).

In Greek, melon was used in a generic way for all foreign fruits (compare similar use of apple). The Greek plural of "melon" was used from ancient times for "a girl's breasts."

That's right, dudes have been giggling about melons for more than 2000 years

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    so, I'm planning this vacation to Brazil

should be nice this time of year

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    i once took a picture of a box that said majestic melons and sent it to my wife :)

• Options
    msuitepyonmsuitepyon Registered User regular
    Nathanial Bacon's "Cookmaid with Vegetables" from 1620-25
    T06995_9.jpg
    melon (n.)

late 14c., from Old French melon (13c.), from Medieval Latin melonem (nominative melo), from Latin melopeponem, a kind of pumpkin, from Greek melopepon "gourd-apple" (name for several kinds of gourds bearing sweet fruit), from melon "apple" (see malic) + pepon, a kind of gourd, probably noun use of pepon "ripe" (see pumpkin).

In Greek, melon was used in a generic way for all foreign fruits (compare similar use of apple). The Greek plural of "melon" was used from ancient times for "a girl's breasts."

That's right, dudes have been giggling about melons for more than 2000 years

Those are some massive...

...cabbages.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Moray eels' heads are too narrow to create the negative pressure most fishes use to swallow prey. Quite possibly because of this, they have a second set of jaws in their throat called pharyngeal jaws, which also possess teeth (like tilapia). When feeding, morays launch these jaws into the mouth, where they grasp prey and transport it into the throat and digestive system. Moray eels are the only animals that use pharyngeal jaws to actively capture and restrain prey.

640px-Pharyngeal_jaws_of_moray_eels.svg.png
    When the eel in the reef
    bites with xenomorph teeth
    THAT'S A MORAAAAAY!

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Well that's horrifying

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    Well that's horrifying

Most things in the sea are

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Oh yeah because conveying food items into your gut with an elegant secondary jaw is sooooooooo disgusting compared to a slippery, convulsing meat tube doing the same thing with muscle contractions

Bigots

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Oh yeah because conveying food items into your gut with an elegant secondary jaw is sooooooooo disgusting compared to a slippery, convulsing meat tube doing the same thing with muscle contractions

Bigots

Wouldn't that be Classist instead of bigots? Eels are in a different phylum group from us.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I'm not really hungry ever again

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Speciesist.

Edit: and we're both cordates!

JusticeforPluto on
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »

Bigots

Wouldn't that be Classist instead of bigots? Eels are in a different phylum group from us.

Yes...us....

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Convulsing meat tube was my nickname in college

This discussion has been closed.