As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Halp Me [Read This Inscription]

ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster ApocalypseThe Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
As the story goes, my great-great grandfather was awarded a pocket watch by the Czar of Russia as a reward for exception marksmanship in the Crimean War.

Now, as far as I know, he's from Alsace-Lorraine, so maybe grandma meant Prussia? I dunno. The script looks German and not Cyrillic. I can't read either, so I have no idea.

Anyone able to decipher it?

inscription.jpg

Allegedly a voice of reason.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    That's almost certainly Cyrillic, they have cursive and script forms that are closer to Latin scripts.

Big giveaway is that 'н' at the end of the first line. No little H's in german.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    well that means grandma wasn't necessarily wrong I guess :P

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    This is cyrillic, but it's really hard (for me) to read the foofy script, and also I think it has a character that isn't particularly used in modern Russian after spelling reform many decades ago.

I don't speak enough Russian/can't decipher the cursive well enough to get the whole thing word for word but the first two words are "for excellent", the third could probably be marksmanship (it seems to say glazomuirn?, and glaza are eyes, so...idk), the 4th word I can't tell, the 5th word is "demonstrated" (um, I think).
    Third line is "153rd Bakinsk Regiment".

I wonder what the letters M. U. O. on the next line mean.

Cool heirloom!

credeiki on
    Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I don't know what it says, but it is definitely Cyrillic.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Chanus wrote: »
    As the story goes, my great-great grandfather was awarded a pocket watch by the Czar of Russia as a reward for exception marksmanship in the Crimean War.

Now, as far as I know, he's from Alsace-Lorraine, so maybe grandma meant Prussia? I dunno. The script looks German and not Cyrillic. I can't read either, so I have no idea.

Anyone able to decipher it?

inscription.jpg

Your relative could have been a volga german http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volga_Germans or, a baltic german http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltic_Germans, or some other group of ethnic germans that were disproportionately represented in the institutions of imperial russia thanks to their western outlook, superior wealth, education, and literacy.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Cool deal. Pretty neat now knowing the regiment name and number. Maybe I can use that to learn more stuff.

Thanks for the help!

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Interestingly, it looks like Bakinsk may have been a county in the German Volga Region of Russia. The only reference to Bakinsk I can find mentions that Novotroitsk is a city within it, which is now part of Orenburg Oblast.

Neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeat

Chanus on
  • Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    This is Ukranian. From the 153rd Bakinskiy Infantry Regiment from Crimea. It's for excellent distance recognition, which I guess is marksmanship.

Edit: the Wikipedia article on the regiment. It's in Russian, unfortunately, but better than nothing

minirhyder on
  • Options
    You are the coolest.