As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Internet Dating] Where we do NOT discriminate against mummies

• Options
    MattitudeMattitude Paste Pot Pete Kicking The BucketRegistered User regular
    You should tell them their grades. It's the only way they'll learn. :P

I got this Tumblr and I don't know how to use it.
    Decide on the next line by the rhyme when I choose it.
    Also I put songs on YouTube
    The musings of this lonely rube.

I made a thread once. It didn't end well for me.
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWahCUaWhYk

You've been doing it all wrong, bros.

Of course... it was right in front of me the whole time. The secret to finding that special someone is lying! How did I not see this before!

I really don't know what I should do about doctor lady (as I will continue to call her). She was nice, but there was really no spark whatsoever. However, she seemed pretty nervous, and her profile question answers were rife with suggestions that she'd be shy and slow to open up, and as a guy who several years ago would have had an anxiety attack at the thought of dating strangers I'm sympathetic to that. I feel like I should give her another shot, but on the other hand I really found out very little about her, so I have no idea what to do for a second date. There's a dreamworks animation exhibition I'd like to go to, and "go to a museum" is pretty much nerd date 101, but if she's not actually into dreamworks or animation at all there could be a lot of awkward "Have you seen this one?" "No." "What about this one? "Nope." On the other hand, nothing ventured nothing gained and I want to go to the exhibition, so maybe I should just throw the suggestion out and see what happens.

I guess what I'm asking is, has anyone else ever gone on a second date after having a meh first date and had it work out well?

Yup. Do it.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Psykoma wrote: »
    Dis' wrote: »
    Angelina wrote: »
    Just moved area, and gosh the dating prospects are terrible. First message of the morning...Hey im winston you dont look old to me yoour hott
    i live in crewkerne if you know where that is message me back xx

He's 22 and I'm 29, but please don't remind me that I'm an old lady.

Only 5 errors in the sentence though - irrc that puts them in top 5% of intelligence rankings for that part of the south West.

I counted 10!

I've found a modicum of fun in grading messages I get sent. I don't tell them their grade though. That would be silly.

I've been grading a lot of papers because I am a TA for a class with a fuckton of students that do a fuckton of writing.

I have stopped seeing sentences as anything other than error vectors. Like for a while I couldn't read signposts without wondering if they needed commas. It was bad.

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    I have trouble reading books for fun during the school year because I teach 5th grade Language Arts. Grading their papers just burns through all my reading-oriented brain cells.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Mattitude wrote: »
    It may just be a skewed sample size, but it seems the majority of women in my area and age group are apparently affluent, middle class, out getting wrecked every weekend, take 3-4 foreign holidays a year and spend most of the summer at various festivals.

Problem being that I find those things either boring or too expensive. Makes sending that first message a little intimidating. Also trying to find a positive way to say in my profile:

"hello I am an actor and musician that spends his time scraping by on low-wage casual jobs between gigs so I can't afford to travel much or at all so I don't have interesting stories about when I lived in Peru on my gap year and I don't plan to go to Australia antytime soon. Also the thought of spending a night in 99% of clubs in Central or East London makes me want to smash my face into a wall."

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm actually fairly happy with my situation. I get to do what I love to do, and get paid for it, more often than I expected at this point in my life. I just don't think that it's a situation a lot of folks would find interesting or acceptable in my age group, especially those from social backgrounds that have an expectation of a certain standard of living, freedom of movement, and level of disposable income.

I just don't want to create any false expectations of what I can actually do.

Everyone puts the most interesting possible things about themselves that could possibly be construed as the truth in their dating profile. Don't make assumptions about the kind of guy they're looking for - just make your own profile accurate (but not self-deprecating) and let them make their own decision. Certainly there are plenty of women who find "starving artist" types attractive. Sending a first message should take a pretty trivial amount of effort if you're doing it right.

Zek on
  • Options
    Yeah, writing and sending the message is easy enough, but feeling like I'm remotely interesting or appealing to other London 20-somethings (based on the people I know) is really difficult.

• Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    Yeah, writing and sending the message is easy enough, but feeling like I'm remotely interesting or appealing to other London 20-somethings (based on the people I know) is really difficult.

Could just be the borough you're in, try widening the range because London's a big place with a lot of people. Rich girls are just in some places.

Plus let them decide if you are boring (he says hypocritically; those sorts of fears ruined two relationships of mine with women in London, I'd advise getting over the sooner rather than later)

• Options
    Ah someone literally just messaged me what is happening!? I do not get messages what is this?

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    It's probably a trap.

• Options
    She's a spy. As in, she works for a bank and monitors employee's communications to make sure they're not doing anything illegal.

So yeah. It's definitely a trap.

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Mr Ray wrote: »

Of course... it was right in front of me the whole time. The secret to finding that special someone is lying! How did I not see this before!

I really don't know what I should do about doctor lady (as I will continue to call her). She was nice, but there was really no spark whatsoever. However, she seemed pretty nervous, and her profile question answers were rife with suggestions that she'd be shy and slow to open up, and as a guy who several years ago would have had an anxiety attack at the thought of dating strangers I'm sympathetic to that. I feel like I should give her another shot, but on the other hand I really found out very little about her, so I have no idea what to do for a second date. There's a dreamworks animation exhibition I'd like to go to, and "go to a museum" is pretty much nerd date 101, but if she's not actually into dreamworks or animation at all there could be a lot of awkward "Have you seen this one?" "No." "What about this one? "Nope." On the other hand, nothing ventured nothing gained and I want to go to the exhibition, so maybe I should just throw the suggestion out and see what happens.

I guess what I'm asking is, has anyone else ever gone on a second date after having a meh first date and had it work out well?

Yup. Do it.

Already sent the text, and she replied almost at once saying she wants to see me again too so I guess its happening at some point once we both figure our schedules out. The more I think about it the more I realize that the Dreamworks exhibition is a perfect plan; if she doesn't like Shrek then clearly we have no future together anyway.

• Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular

Is that like a real romantic comedy or like a Kirk Cameron special where she converts for real by the end?

I'm not sure how the answer will influence my desire to see it.

• Options
    Hey guys: Pictures matter.

Not that everyone didn't already know that.

But I mentioned last week that I had read that article on taking good selfies, and now I'm hooked on self-photography. I know a bit about photography from college and work (cheaper for newspapers to send a sports reporter with a camera than hire a separate photographer), and I've been putting that to good use setting up some cool shots to go along with a really good headshot.

Now all of a sudden I'm swimming in Tinder matches, visitors, responses and even a few unsolicited messages.

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    Inkstain82 wrote: »

Is that like a real romantic comedy or like a Kirk Cameron special where she converts for real by the end?

I'm not sure how the answer will influence my desire to see it.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular

But I mentioned last week that I had read that article on taking good selfies, and now I'm hooked on self-photography. I know a bit about photography from college and work (cheaper for newspapers to send a sports reporter with a camera than hire a separate photographer), and I've been putting that to good use setting up some cool shots to go along with a really good headshot.

Now all of a sudden I'm swimming in Tinder matches, visitors, responses and even a few unsolicited messages.

You happen to have a link to the article? I'd be interested in reading it.

• Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    The OkCupid blog covered this recently.
    In a nutshell, your photos determine 90% of your attractiveness AND personality, as perceived by others.
    Words in your profile? Nearly worthless.
    looks-v-personality.png

iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    I'd heard about that "experiment" at the end, but hadn't read the blog post (didn't know they were still updating that). That's simultaneously awesome and horrifying.

• Options
    Two easy steps to being successful in online dating:

Step 1: Be attractive.

Step 2: Don't be unattractive.

• Options
    edited September 2014

mcdermott on
  • Options
    No joke. And I'll admit, I'm part of the problem. First thing I look at is pics. Then I skim the profile for dealbreakers. If the match percentage is super low I'll look at questions. But none of that happens, honestly, if there pics are bad.

Girl I'm with now? Great pictures. Honestly? They were a bit....flattering. To the point of almost being misleading. But she's still cute enough, and pretty awesome, so no big deal. But if all her pics had looked like her worst pic? Probably wouldn't have met her.

At the end of the day you've just got a ton of options, or at least think you do, so can afford to be choosy. Profiles and questions, for most people, can talk people out of messaging...but rarely into it.

Which of course is why tinder exists.

• Options
    JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    It may just be a skewed sample size, but it seems the majority of women in my area and age group are apparently affluent, middle class, out getting wrecked every weekend, take 3-4 foreign holidays a year and spend most of the summer at various festivals.

Problem being that I find those things either boring or too expensive. Makes sending that first message a little intimidating. Also trying to find a positive way to say in my profile:

"hello I am an actor and musician that spends his time scraping by on low-wage casual jobs between gigs so I can't afford to travel much or at all so I don't have interesting stories about when I lived in Peru on my gap year and I don't plan to go to Australia antytime soon. Also the thought of spending a night in 99% of clubs in Central or East London makes me want to smash my face into a wall."

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm actually fairly happy with my situation. I get to do what I love to do, and get paid for it, more often than I expected at this point in my life. I just don't think that it's a situation a lot of folks would find interesting or acceptable in my age group, especially those from social backgrounds that have an expectation of a certain standard of living, freedom of movement, and level of disposable income.

Im pretty sure you can make "actor and musician" work for you.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

Hacksaw wrote: »

Sadly I am doing both

• Options
    Jeedan wrote: »

You throw a rock in London and you hit 12. And a couple of circus performers, 4 dancers, and a comedian.

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular

Eeeeeh no offense to anyone who is legitimately making this their life's calling and working their asses off to get there (same with "writer")

But especially with online dating profiles often it's code for "I live in my parents basement and sometimes work as a barista but have very little motivation and/or ambition"

• Options
    Which it isn't, in my case!

Yes, I have worked as a Barista, and a bartender, and a waiter, and a caretaker. I live in a shared house with three other twenty somethings, I pay my own bills and I pay my own rent. I've also spent more than 9 months out of the last 2 years getting paid to act, so I do actually work, if not as often as I'd like.

The performing arts, especially in Britain right now, are not a career for anyone with a lack of motivation and ambition. I didn't get this far without working really fucking hard for it, and I continue to work really fucking hard, and I would take a huge amount of offense if someone were to suggest otherwise.

So I would hope that it is not an assumption people make about me.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    That middle paragraph is a really great thing to include, imo

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Which it isn't, in my case!

Yes, I have worked as a Barista, and a bartender, and a waiter, and a caretaker. I live in a shared house with three other twenty somethings, I pay my own bills and I pay my own rent. I've also spent more than 9 months out of the last 2 years getting paid to act, so I do actually work, if not as often as I'd like.

The performing arts, especially in Britain right now, are not a career for anyone with a lack of motivation and ambition. I didn't get this far without working really fucking hard for it, and I continue to work really fucking hard, and I would take a huge amount of offense if someone were to suggest otherwise.

So I would hope that it is not an assumption people make about me.

Bear in mind that you are a country and culture apart so how it goes over with people could be very, very different on top of the fact that you've actually had some success at it.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    I'm not a country and a culture apart from the people who are viewing my profile, which is who I'm worried about.

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Usagi wrote: »

Eeeeeh no offense to anyone who is legitimately making this their life's calling and working their asses off to get there (same with "writer")

But especially with online dating profiles often it's code for "I live in my parents basement and sometimes work as a barista but have very little motivation and/or ambition"

Now I'm wondering if the fact that I'm a writer (of ad copy/blog posts/general bullshit) is working against me on my profile.

I get paid quite well for my writing, and I then use that money to pay my own bills. I'd hate to think I'm sending a wholly inaccurate message with an accurate description of my job.

I mean, yeah. There's also the rest of me working against me. But I'd rather the facts discourage the ladies, not misunderstandings.

• Options
    KupotheAvengerKupotheAvenger Destroyer of Cake and other deserts.Registered User regular
    I just realized I totally failed at online dating.

Disavow all things Kupo says.

fc: 1821-9801-1163
    Battlenet: Judgement#1243
    psn: KupoZero

• Options
    JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    edited September 2014

So then you date other other actors/musicians/baristas who live in their parents basement.

Or at least, people who don't immediately make that assumption about you when they hear "I'm an actor"

Thats the thing about dating, if you try too hard to appear to be "liked by all, hated by none" you end up putting forward a bland impression which makes an impression on nobody.

The trick is to own the fuck out of whatever it is you do so as to find those who are on the same wavelength.

That post by Mattitude about how he actualy works extremely hard at what he does is a good example of owning what you do and should probably go on his profile.

Jeedan on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »

Now I'm wondering if the fact that I'm a writer (of ad copy/blog posts/general bullshit) is working against me on my profile.

I get paid quite well for my writing, and I then use that money to pay my own bills. I'd hate to think I'm sending a wholly inaccurate message with an accurate description of my job.

I mean, yeah. There's also the rest of me working against me. But I'd rather the facts discourage the ladies, not misunderstandings.

There's a world of difference between writing ads or paid blogging and the more stereotypical nebulous "writer" working on a mythical novel sitting in a Starbucks. If you're describing your job accurately, it's probably not doing you any harm beyond that some people don't find it particularly attention grabbing.

It's really the "aspiring" writers, musicians, and actors that draw most of the ire. A musician that writes and plays jingles for commercials and states such is probably going to be about as polarizing as a CPA.

So really its our horrible appearances and personalities doing us in, not our jobs.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    It is on my profile!

Well it is now.

See, I do take some advice.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Hey homies.

Back to the single life game for a bit now.

I'm a fairly uninteresting person so I've done the best I could with this profile.

Also, for my main profile pic should I keep it as the current on or be adventurous and use the corset one?

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/TheStigsBrother

Thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

• Options
    T-boltT-bolt Registered User regular
    I whole "I'm a musician" thing hasn't really been a big plus in dating for me. Ladies who love music will invariably talk about having a few friends in bands, so it's not a special thing to be (unless you're particularly successful at it, I guess.) There's also quite a few profiles that are anti musicians as well. Only two women I've dated have been to a show of mine, one after we'd become friends, and the other was a former bandmate.

I mention it because it's the hobby I love the most, and state as such. It's not a career, but I'll occasionally get paid for something I love to do anyway.

• Options
    khain wrote: »

You happen to have a link to the article? I'd be interested in reading it.

Crap, I can't find the one I read and the video that went with it, but here's a similar one that covers the same ground:

http://i.imgur.com/LMCXQob.jpg

Plus tilting your head slightly toward the camera to get rid of that nasty blurb below your chin that makes you look 10 pounds heavier than you do in real life.

• Options

If your success rate bothers you, be better or aim lower.

• Options
    naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Agreed. I know there are lots of jokes on here about this very subject (ie. rule number one of online dating being "be attractive"), but it's silly as fuck.

Pretty much 100% of the people who genuinely blame their physical attractiveness for their failures at dating are blind to the host of actual issues making them unappealing to potential partners.

• Options

The joke.

Your head.

• Options
    Also, what does 'aim lower' mean? Should I be trying to gut punch all my dates or something? Crotch shot maybe?