As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Internet Dating] Where we do NOT discriminate against mummies

• Options
    Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
  • Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    Emissary42 wrote: »

Please remove the blurry picture, my eyes are bleeding. It may be due to the aforementioned picture or that I'm not logged in, but I'm not seeing the the albums that you reference a couple times. Regardless, it would be better if you gave more discrete examples rather than say to see pictures.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    So since there's no general dating thread and this is kinda internet related I wanted to ask here.

As I mentioned before I run a meetup group. And for the large part it's good. Keeps me busy and let's me meet a bunch of awesome people, including a lot of single women. It's also really help me learn how to be sociable.

So in theory I should at least be going on some dates..but there's two problems I recently identified:

1) Like online dating meetup events heavely schew towards guys (I try to offset this by putting women friendly events). None the less, if there's a cute girl, she'll immediately get swamped by guys for most of the night. And really, at that time I lose interest..I can't bring myself to compete for attention. Even if it's only one other guy.

2)Since I'm the organizer I tend to talk to everyone who show's up to events and be as friendly and welcoming as possible (I remember my first own awkward meetups). So awesome since this gives me a reason to talk to any woman I may be interested? Except that it seems that since I'm so friendly to everyone, no one can tell when I'm flirting or trying to get to know someone better. Also since I'm the organizer I feel creepy trying to ask girls out at these meetups. I genuenely run this thing to make new friends (which I have done) and do fun stuff.

Any advise?

• Options
    KupotheAvengerKupotheAvenger Destroyer of Cake and other deserts.Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    So since there's no general dating thread and this is kinda internet related I wanted to ask here.

As I mentioned before I run a meetup group. And for the large part it's good. Keeps me busy and let's me meet a bunch of awesome people, including a lot of single women. It's also really help me learn how to be sociable.

So in theory I should at least be going on some dates..but there's two problems I recently identified:

1) Like online dating meetup events heavely schew towards guys (I try to offset this by putting women friendly events). None the less, if there's a cute girl, she'll immediately get swamped by guys for most of the night. And really, at that time I lose interest..I can't bring myself to compete for attention. Even if it's only one other guy.

2)Since I'm the organizer I tend to talk to everyone who show's up to events and be as friendly and welcoming as possible (I remember my first own awkward meetups). So awesome since this gives me a reason to talk to any woman I may be interested? Except that it seems that since I'm so friendly to everyone, no one can tell when I'm flirting or trying to get to know someone better. Also since I'm the organizer I feel creepy trying to ask girls out at these meetups. I genuenely run this thing to make new friends (which I have done) and do fun stuff.

Any advise?

1) You need to get past that. Attractive women will always have guys going after them, and you need to ramp up your competitive game. I had this problem as well though. My method may not work for you but I just rationalized that it isn't a competition, since no one person is alike. Gotta let your personality speak for itself. Competing hinges on the idea that things are equal, and they aren't, if she's into you, then she'll be into you. If she's sitting there comparing guys or worse, making them actively compete for her affection, she isn't someone you want to be with.

2) Leverage the friends you make. As a fellow Meetup organizer, this is a pretty common problem, and the irony is you have to take your tactics old school. As an organizer you have to be actively meeting everyone, however the friends you make can easily let it slip that you'd be interested in someone in the group. It doesn't even have to be a cognitive plant either, just talk to your friends, mention who you're interested in in the meetups, and let them go to work. Good friends work like that :)

fc: 1821-9801-1163
    Battlenet: Judgement#1243
    psn: KupoZero

• Options
    Thanks @KupotheAvenger . Cool to know that I'm not the only one that struggled with these issues.

• Options

Your profile picture is easily the worst of the one's you have.

The engineer one (with the medals) is easily the best one. I really like the second one too but it doesn't really show your face.

Honestly your profile right now is a lot like a lot of the other geeky/nerdy profiles, listing a lot of the common books/movies and interests. What stood out to me was the cooking bits and travel, but you hardly mention them. Talk about them more! Those honestly set them apart.

Also drop the rain line at the beginning (mocking the intended audience isn't a good idea) and the glasses thing at the end seems kinda weird.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    So, I get the e-mail notification that I've got a new message oon OKC, and the excerpt looked like I'd really hit a chord. :+1:

I'm at work though, so I wait until I'm home before logging on and reading the whole thing... and she's already deleted her profile. :hydra:

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Except that it seems that since I'm so friendly to everyone, no one can tell when I'm flirting or trying to get to know someone better.

Flirting should come across as more playful than just friendly. Jokes and compliments go a long way. People can be oblivious, but flirting ought to be subtly yet noticeably different from friendliness.

Though everyone has their own way of doing it, I guess.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
    edited March 2015

Your profile picture is easily the worst of the one's you have.

The engineer one (with the medals) is easily the best one. I really like the second one too but it doesn't really show your face.

Honestly your profile right now is a lot like a lot of the other geeky/nerdy profiles, listing a lot of the common books/movies and interests. What stood out to me was the cooking bits and travel, but you hardly mention them. Talk about them more! Those honestly set them apart.

Also drop the rain line at the beginning (mocking the intended audience isn't a good idea) and the glasses thing at the end seems kinda weird.

Thanks for the advice, I'll be looking into expanding on those two factors [travel/cooking] (especially since I have some photographic proof of them).

Emissary42 on
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    So as a newly single guy I setup a couple of quick profiles just for laughs because I'm in Juneau and "haha, fuck Southeast Alaska" (can't wait to move out) and yeah, my whole I don't want kids thing" has mostly just lead to me going "next, next, next, NOPE, next, next, next, oh hey she doesn't want kids! No wait she already has kids NEXT, next, shit I ran out."

I'm really curious why the "wants kids" question isn't a gigantic dealbreaker with the algorithms for these different websites because holy shit is it a biggy. Probably the biggest one. On the plus side, this is definitely the best way ever to get it the hell out of the way right out of the gate. Nothing worse than going on a date or two and finding out a super cool gal also really wants kids.

Yes, I consider that worse than finding out she collects human heads in her freezer.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    So as a newly single guy I setup a couple of quick profiles just for laughs because I'm in Juneau and "haha, fuck Southeast Alaska" (can't wait to move out) and yeah, my whole I don't want kids thing" has mostly just lead to me going "next, next, next, NOPE, next, next, next, oh hey she doesn't want kids! No wait she already has kids NEXT, next, shit I ran out."

I'm really curious why the "wants kids" question isn't a gigantic dealbreaker with the algorithms for these different websites because holy shit is it a biggy. Probably the biggest one. On the plus side, this is definitely the best way ever to get it the hell out of the way right out of the gate. Nothing worse than going on a date or two and finding out a super cool gal also really wants kids.

Yes, I consider that worse than finding out she collects human heads in her freezer.

What if the heads ARE her kids?

And we're pretty sure a while back they adjusted the OKC algorithm to put less weight on "mandatory" questions. A bunch of us that are not white and flagged questions regarding being open to dating other races as mandatory noticed that we were suddenly getting matched with people that were not so open to interracial relationships around the same time.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    edited March 2015

What if the heads ARE her kids?
    Well that'd be fine. As long as I don't have to deal with 'em.

EDIT: Seems like this is mostly a location problem. I need to move the hell down south already. :bigfrown:

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Down south where?

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Where real people live.
    Spokane

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Down south where?

Seattle area, mostly because that's where most of the people I know are. Also becuase there's a Wing Chun place, a HEMA place, and a pretty fun looking parkour place near each other and, yanno, PAX Prime becoming super convenient. Seattle is like the best amusement park ever for me.

Just for giggles I switched OKC over to Seattle and god damn. I really need to get the fuck out of Alaska.

EDIT: Hahaha, I think my new hobby is gonna be doing Turing Tests on people who send me terrible messages.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    YogoYogo Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Wished there was a rule book about people, you could consult if you had questions or doubts.

Nothing new on the aforementioned girl front. Wrote very little last week, neutral in tone. Asked her today if she would be up for dancing at a place in her town, but no reply yet (beyond her knowing of the place).

Can't help, but feel that I am doing something... "not right". Like, she isn't very talkative via texting, so I have a hard time getting a read on her (lack of interest? Too much work? etc etc).

I think it is best I play it "cool" for now until I get there in person. Sucks because I actually want to talk and get to know her a little better before I arrive (so it doesn't feel awkward / strange).

Edit:

I think too much and should reaaaallllly stop doing that. Everything is fine and dandy 50 mins after I wrote this >_<

Yogo on
  • Options
    Down south where?

Seattle area, mostly because that's where most of the people I know are. Also becuase there's a Wing Chun place, a HEMA place, and a pretty fun looking parkour place near each other and, yanno, PAX Prime becoming super convenient. Seattle is like the best amusement park ever for me.

Just for giggles I switched OKC over to Seattle and god damn. I really need to get the fuck out of Alaska.

EDIT: Hahaha, I think my new hobby is gonna be doing Turing Tests on people who send me terrible messages.

I live in Seattle, too. PS our weed is better here, if you're wondering.

Also hit me up when you get down here; I'll take you drinking, introduce you to people who similarly fled other awful areas to settle here in paradise.

• Options
    KupotheAvengerKupotheAvenger Destroyer of Cake and other deserts.Registered User regular
    Down south where?

Also hit me up when you get down here; I'll take you drinking, introduce you to people who similarly fled other awful areas to settle here in paradise.

"paradise"

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Down south where?

And yet I bring your doppelganger into town and you're nowhere to be found....

• Options
    JediabiwanJediabiwan Registered User regular

Yeah I just tried this. Don't do it guys. I thought I had a pretty good selection living in Minneapolis, but fuck now I want to move to Seattle.

More and more reasons to move haha.

• Options
    Usagi wrote: »
    Down south where?

And yet I bring your doppelganger into town and you're nowhere to be found....

Excuse me but I can't be in the same place as him at the same time otherwise this will happen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D01mdGW9-Zg

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    I've dusted things off, trimmed some fat, anyone have any comments about my current profile?

• Options
    NatinatorNatinator Registered User regular
    I've dusted things off, trimmed some fat, anyone have any comments about my current profile?

I like it, but...

1. That is a fricken essay dude. No need to write so much. It not only might put girls off from reading it all, but also you lose the surprise factor, since everything is on your page.
    2. Your second photo is a bit 'meh'. Maybe try and get a picture of you doing one of your activities mentioned?

Personally, I've been leaning toward a more barren profile, with just enough to get my basic personality across. This does not even have to be listing things about myself, merely talking about something which shows my personality. This leaves in a good deal of room for converstaion, since they won't know as much about you. And you can bring yourself across in your messages, instead of them instantly skipping you because you seem 'too nerdy/weird/active/whatever'.

Steam ID: natinator Xbox Live: Natman PRIME LoL: A1 Sauce
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod

I would take out the bit about hats, or at least the story about japan. Some ladies are pretty well aware that hair loss is an unavoidable genetic factor, especially after 30. If they aren't, they are not going to work out anyway. Your beard is nice, If the picture of you with the baby is an indication of where your hair is now, It'd probably benefit you to keep the sides buzzed. you can still wear hats, It just wont seem like you are wearing them to hide your head.

I would trim down the profile a bit for sure. I think that the first three sections are pretty good. Some of the parentheses seem like backpedaling or over explaining. I would try just skim the fat off first, reducing anything that makes you seem less confident in what you've put down.

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    Agree with Iruka generally.

I would turn your "favorites" into a list format rather than a paragraph. And pull the quotation marks off the movie/book titles. Either just capitalize them or put them in italics properly. I would trim your 6 things, too. You don't need the explanations, plus, that can turn out to be conversation prompts. Otherwise, it looks all right to me.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Jediabiwan wrote: »

Yeah I just tried this. Don't do it guys. I thought I had a pretty good selection living in Minneapolis, but fuck now I want to move to Seattle.

More and more reasons to move haha.
    If you would like to experience the nerd hell I live in switch your location to Juneau, Alaska. At this point I've started displaying my Pacific Rim figures right in my god damn living room window just to scare the neighbors because fuck it, might as well. The double takes and confused stares will be totes worth it.

I think too much and should reaaaallllly stop doing that.
    This. As with many other endevours in life you are your own worst enemy (not you in particular, just as a general saying). It's like overthinking an answer on a multiple choice test. You spend too long on it and you'll end up overriding your gut instinct and getting the answer wrong.

Play it cool, go with the flow, and don't worry either way about the outcome. If it works out, hooray! If it doesn't then hey, at least you tried and got a little experience. If you start doubting yourself and getting worked up all you'll end up doing is eating into your own confidence and that's the last thing you want to do because confidence is the currency that gets you dates.

EDIT: And if the date bails, go dancing anyway.

I'm gonna end up on a week long bender when I get down there at this rate, hah.
    (I'm pretty ok with that)

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Appreciate the evaluations. Back to the editing board!

• Options
    edited March 2015
    So OKC has given up on attempting to quickmatch me with locals and is now gradually expanding its borders. In response, my amusement has turned into something more akin to Vulcan style fascination.

I feel like I am gazing into the abyss that is the human ego. Doing its best to protect something that isn't special at all. Attempting to make up for dullness and normalcy with edginess or pretentiousness. Sometimes both.

I am both intrigued and horrified and am gaining a greater understanding humanity as a whole. Just how terrible do people get? Is there such a thing as "peak blandness?" Is it possible to find a profile so edgy it will actually cut me in real life? Will I find one so far up its own ass it could count as a methane mine? I must answer these questions. My curiosity will most assuredly lead me into madness but despite knowing this, I am nevertheless compelled to press on.

EDIT: I have selected every possible gender. I must know how deep this rabbit hole goes.

EDIT 2: Captain's log, stardate 3112015.1134 I have encountered a profile that uses the word "indigenous" so many times it has lost all meaning. Loss of language is not a foreseen consequence of this journey. What other words will I lose the definition to by the end of this?

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    How on earth do you use indigenous multiple times in a dating profile? Sounds like it was written by a real di-...

Wait a second... MY profile uses indigenous multiple times!

• Options
    I haven't had a fresh eyes in a while, so anyone mind checking me out?

• Options
    GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular

The only thing that bothered me was a few typos and you used the phrase "I been" instead of "I have been" about 3 or 4 times.

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Options
    Content-wise A+

• Options
    Pictures - good action pics. Would want to see one close up of your face. (I'm viewing from a phone so hard to see what you actually look like - might be ok as is when viewed from a computer)

• Options

Excellent action pics, although, and this is being stupidly picky but is merited from my own experience in photos on profiles...they look posed. Yes they're photos, but in these cases they're highlighting that you're fun and whimsical and do different things. In this terribly shallow world people are now doing experiences just to take a goddamn photo (tranquilized tiger much?). Candids make it seem like an everyday occurrence, and even if it isn't, it will still LOOK that way. For instance, when my profile was up, I went climbing once in a while, and the photo I had was actually taken by a friend at the gym, but I was in the middle of explaining a particular climbing method to a friend. That picture started more conversations than anything else.

Just my two cents :hydra:

• Options
    So last night was interesting. There was a local get drunk for charity thing which is basically my thing. You PAX Primers can attest to that. I dunno what it was even for, I just heard the words charity, liquor, and costumes and I was all over that shit (I was the only 90's themed guy with ripped up jeans, get on my level Juneau).

It started quietly enough but it quickly turned into drunken dancing and I noticed that some of the gals there looked familiar. Turns out one of the side effects to being in a small town in this modern era is that it ain't exactly hard to run into some of the people you see on these websites. I am incredibly thankful that I am a social chameleon because they didn't recognize me. I sure as shit recognized them, though, and absolutely used what I already knew via their profiles like the god damn Konami cheat code.

So yeah, copious beers, dancing, and talking were accomplished, one definite date lined up and another tentative for an upcoming event that I may or may not miss depending on my work schedule but whatever. It's not like I'm seriously pursuing anything. I'm just out to party and goof off a bit.

Morale of the story for the thread: Pay attention while you're looking at profiles! Even if you're not getting anywhere online that doesn't mean you can't leverage what you learned offline and still have some fun. Granted, this is a lot less likely to happen in a big city but hey, you never know! After all, if you're looking at people with similar interests in your area you already increase the chances of a random meeting since there's a higher probability of frequenting similar places.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    You can drink for charity?!?!?

WHY WAS I NOT INFORMED OF THIS?!?!?!?!?

• Options
    edited March 2015
    You can drink for charity?!?!?

WHY WAS I NOT INFORMED OF THIS?!?!?!?!?

PAX Prime yo. There's a charity bar crawl every year and the money raised goes to Child's Play. About four hundred drunkards blow up Cap Hill and the bars all get into the fun with weird shots and drinks. Even if you're not going to Prime you should come hang on my team.

PAX East and South have charity crawls too but I dunno how into it the bars get. It sounded like the Boston bars were kinda lame from the few people I've talked to about it.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    BRB alerting everyone

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Down south where?

I know that you know that I know that you know that I know that you know I know you're hot.

• Options
    MarauderMarauder Registered User regular
    There are copious amounts of Drinking for Charity events in the Orlando area. They're not always labelled as such, but pretty much "charity" and "event after 5 pm" is the secret decoder ring key words.

Also, amen to what TOG said. I am newly single again, sign back up with a fresh profile on OKCupid and blammo, 2 of the girls it wants me to rate in order to get my "type" are girls I've slept with 4 or 5 years ago.....I didn't know whether to see that as a positive or a negative.

I mean, on the one hand, "Hey theyre still out there!'

On the other " Wow you have great taste in people that stay single forever!"